Game 61: Twins at Nats

Jun 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Chase here again today as Mark is still recovering from surgery. I will be out here at the park providing coverage for both games as the Nats continue their interleague series with the Twins.

The Nats' lineup for the first game is, well, interesting. Jeff Kobernus is your center fielder and leadoff hitter with Denard Span out with a sore right foot. Fellow second baseman Steve Lombardozzi is slotted in left field and batting second. Chris Marrero is also up as the team's 26th player for the doubleheader, so you may see him today as well.

Fortunate for the Nats, considering their makeshift lineup, is the fact Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound. The right-hander will take his 8-3 record and 2.16 ERA up against a Twins lineup that is not exactly imposing.

Please check back for updates, and enjoy the game…

MINNESOTA TWINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500)
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 82 degrees

CF Jeff Kobernus
LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Jayson Werth

1. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ryan Doumit is also a catcher?

2. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Don't worry, Kobernus has appeared in 9 games in CF in his illustrious career.

3. karlkolchak - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Presenting, for your entertainment, the "New NAAAts."

4. nats guy - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I would Imagine that Rizzo/FO will making some big decisions on this team by June 30 (3 weeks away). With the trade deadline of July 31st that is when teams usually make their minds up about the chances of their team. A couple of examples:1. Rafael Soriano is a luxury on a team not going to the playoffs.2. Does anybody want Chad Tracy for a bag of balls.3. Would anybody be interested in the "shark" for prospects.Others on the team need to analysed for future value. Is it time to get some of the guys from Harrisburg up to see what they can do? Is Adam LaRoche needed on a team probably not going to the playoffs (too bad Matt Skole got hurt)?I am sure that these talks are now going on at the FO. This past week has pretty much insured that the Nats are not going to be playing in October.

5. Caps Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM

That hole in the middle of the lineup gets bigger every day.

6. Doc - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Dang, I was hoping for Game 62: Twins at Mets!

7. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I recall seeing Doumit behind the dish before. Must have been with Pittsburgh.Go, Jordan! Go, NATS!!

8. nats guy - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Addendum,They need Rendon to get more work at 3B. Despite Ryan Zimmerman's 3 HR night at the little league park in Bmore he is stil not hitting with power. What is wrong? Has the shoulder slowed down his bat speed? Rendon is more of a natural 3B than a 2B. Also when is Rendon going to show if he has any HR power. Let Lombardozzi and Kobernus play 2B for awhile. RZim is still having problems with his throwing (damndest throwing motion I have ever seen), he is becoming a liability in the field without giving anything back at bat. Let Chris Marrero have some playing time. See if his power is beginng to pick up as he has gotten older.

9. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Didn't realize Doumit starter his career as a catcher.

10. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Didn't recall this one, though, where he plunked the other end of his battery.

11. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Figures that "Super Willie" was involved. :-)

12. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You're kidding me.

13. JaneB - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

May Jordsn have lots of high octane gas in the tank todayMend well Msrk!GYFNG!

14. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Joe, April Fools.

15. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

If I was Corey, or Eury, I'd be begging for a trade.I've been sticking up for the Nats all year, but that outfield is an embarrassment.

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Raining in secton 315

17. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

how many 2b men can you put in the outfield.

18. Candide - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Reverse lock, anyone?

19. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I'll take one, Candide.

20. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Well, we really should have 3b covered with both Zim and Rendon playing it, but 2b might be a little bit of a problem.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Sky getting lighter

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Werth came up as a catcher so we have it covered twice also

23. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Kobernus in…center. Huh. Shouldn't Davey want the optimum defensive alignment for the game the Nats really should win? Don't get it.As for trades…I don't imagine we'll see all that much selling off, no matter what happens. It would be different if the team were like the Phillies and all on an aging curve that near-guaranteed reduced production from most positions with players on long-term contracts. The only places that applies here are 1B and RF.Davey and Rizzo still seem pretty confident they've got the pieces, even if everyone not Zimm/ALR/Desi is hitting remarkably below career averages. In the games Harper has played, they've played at a 94-win pace. They've just played remarkably, unforseeably poorly without him.

24. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

"Also when is Rendon going to show if he has any HR power." The guy is a doubles machine. The demise of young players is when they try to be a HR hitter. Let him be what he is and so far so good. Unlucky BABIP at the end of the game on that line drive.

25. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Dear JZimm: please induce only ground balls and really easy flyballs with lots of hang time, and also maybe throw a 9-inning shutout. No proessure!

26. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM

27. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Is MASN televising the second game? I went to their web site and all I see is that they're televising the first game at 1.

28. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Joe Seamhead said…The radar looks pretty good for the first game. This evening's looks a little more ominous, which of course we have tix for.June 09, 2013 12:44 PM SonnyG10 said…Me too, Joe. If its rained out, wonder if they would play it tomorrow. Better take my rain gear.

29. Dave - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I've got the evening game, so of course it will rain at about 6:57 PM. I mainly remember Doumit as the Pirates' catcher. Guess I haven't been paying attention to his career.

30. Dave - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Pretty sure MASN would carry the evening game. Whenever ESPN has been here, it's the ESPN coverage that's blacked out in Nats territory. Don't think they have an exclusive like Fox does.

31. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

From what the beat writers have said, the team/network does have to request an exemption to the blackout policy if they're airing at the same time as Sunday Night Baseball. But the Nats have gotten one, so the game should air tonight.

32. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Is Denard expected to play the second game?

33. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I checked MASN again and found their programming section. They are broadcasting the second game. The first game is on MASN2 and the second game is on MASN at 7. Good, I like to record the games I go to, to get a different look on the game.Good luck to us. Let's take two today. GYFNG!!!!

34. alexva - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

slight correction nats guy, since the 3 HR game RZ is not hitting all 4-30. as long as these guys cannot sustain average or above average play longer than they have been they will be stuck at .500

35. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Hey folks…. Well that was a disappointing game yesterday… I was there and it felt good to be amongst fans, especially in this sub par start/third of the season…Anywho, this is an interesting line up…. Think I would have put Shark in CF and Kobernus in LF (sorry but Lombo is horrible in the OF). But DJ has Kobernus leading off…. Lord have mercy DJ….I didnt see DJ's press conference yesterday but I wish I did….Aight lets go Nats! We need to get on a serious winning streak… Make some folks go back under the rocks they crawled out of…

36. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

First.. GET WELL MARK!!!Second.. Thanks Chase covering both games, hope there is lots of coffee in the press box.Finally GYF BABY NATS GO!!!(Umm hello Syracuse).. I will take that reverse lock.

37. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Looking forward to getting an extended look at Kobernus today. Hopefully no miscues in CF.

38. phil dunton - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

This looks like a Syracuse Chiefs lineup. Why bring up Marrero unless Laroche is going to be traded? Marrero is a one position player.

39. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Thank god this is the last day we have to deal with Johnny Holliday. We haven't had Bob and FP in weeks. First it was the joint MASN crew, then Bob and Ray, now Johnny and FP.

40. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Wow…. I just heard about Mark…. I'm not on twitter (don't even know how to use it) but wow… Ouch, get well soon Mark….

41. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I imagine Marrero is going to be mostly pinch-hitting, with some time in left field if things get desperate.

42. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Marrero cannot play LF. I don't mean like Tyler Moore. I mean worse. He absolutely cannot play in the OF.

43. Grandstander - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Kobernus is in CF out of necessity. You don't want to start Bernadina with a lefty on the mound. At least we've got JZimm and his 51.5% GB rate starting today.

44. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeaahhhh but Lombo in the OF is just wrong… Shark has gotten better at the plate, too….Shark should be in the OF instead of Lombo…. And Moore is better than Lombo in the Of, which isn't saying much…*broken record here*. But I hope we send T Moore down so he can play every day, as that is seriously what he needs….

45. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

1-2-3 by Jordan, love it….

46. Caps Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

18 innings of Johnny Holliday PBP scheduled for today. God's not going to be able to make it through all that without weeping. Probably profusely.

47. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Pretty good AB by Kobernus. Saw 7 pitches.

48. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

New guy fouled some pitches off at least. They should probably do more of that.

49. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

And then Lombardozzi and Zimmerman see 3 combined. Ugh.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Uhm, I shouldn't be frustrated but I am…. Why can't we work a count….

51. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Kobernus had a good at bat…saw a lot of pitches.

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

RZim 1 pitch seen. Really?

53. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Pretty good AB by Kobernus. Now of more of the everyday players could battle like that.

54. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Think I owe you a virtual drink, David.

55. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Davey said yesterday he thought we weren't being aggressive enough at the plate. I rarely have a problem with swinging early because many times it's the best pitch of the AB to hit (I know this goes against conventional wisdom to see pitches). My problem is swinging at BAD first pitches. More guys need to foul off balls like Werth until they get something they can work with.

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Ya know…. I used to not like Jordan Z becuz he seemed so emotion-less… So opposite Gio but then I saw a couple of interviews and really started liking the guy….Uhm, this blue's SZ is interesting….

57. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I wish they would stop referring to a span and his 6 sbs as a speed guy

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yeah David, I HATE first pitch swinging…. It burns me up…. But that was something that my uncles/coaches drilled into my head from the beginning and it has carried over….

59. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Not sure of the context it was used SCNatsFan, but his speed shows up in more than just his stealing. He can leg out infield hits (he has like 12), it shows up in his CF defense, etc.

60. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM

RZim 1 pitch seen. Really?Well, he did hit it back up the middle, just not hard enough to get through. And he wasn't taking strike three. So there's that. Still an out.

61. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

No doubt he is quick David I just hope it shows up on the base paths more. For a small ball team we need him to be a little more of a catalyst, or maybe Davey needs to give him some more rope.

62. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Look at Zimmermann striking out the side.

63. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Span runs well, he just isn't a good base stealer. I think he doesn't get a good enough jump, personally, because he doesn't trust his own move back to first. Just my two cents.

64. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Come on Bats…. Lets get heated up…. And come on Nats…. Nothing wrong with working the count….

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

SCNats – see this is where my confusion comes in… Davey doesn't like small ball, from my understanding, so when we signed Span I was a little confused becuz he definitely isn't a power hitter…So it's interesting seeing D Span out there stealing bases, etc….It's kinda like the Nats have a sort of identity crisis one hand as they love the power but they have a few small ball guys….

66. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

See MrsB, I like that. I'm not sure I'd say it's an identity crisis. I like guys who (in theory) can steal along with big boppers. I think the diversity allows for you to do more than a team of all slap hitters or all home run guys.

67. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Agree mrsB it does seem strange and it hasn't meshed well yet, lets hope it starts soon

68. Davide - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM

"13 pitches" in the first inning for Zimm look like a miracle…the opponent pichers barely go over 10 pitches per inning.. -_-"

69. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Dang I thought Rendon got that one.

70. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I yell at Desi every time he swings at the first pitch… But most of the time, he does that —>>>. Gets a hit…. Nice…Yeah, David, I was fine with the Span signing… I was never a huge M Morse fan… Thought he was expendable even if we hasn't of resigned LaRoche….But I guess it goes back to the philosophy of the team….

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I thought Rendon hit his first homer….

72. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I didn't think Suzuki went. That was an odd end to the inning.

73. Drew - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

The kid gave it a ride.I love Rendon's languid grace at the plate. He's going to be special.

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Did Zook go? I didn't think he went….

75. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Its just a matter of time for Rendon. He's an exponential upgrade over Espi..

76. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Bad luck.

77. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Rendon keeps showing what a good hitter he is but getting bitten by the BABIP gods. Suzuki, on the other hand, desperately needs Ramos back to give him some off days. His plate approach is not sharp at all, swinging at garbage in the dirt. That pitch didn't even make it to the plate and he still swung. Not good at all.

78. Section 135 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Zuk has become a huge hole in this lineup. Awful at bats and no patience Must have spent too much time with Eckstein. We really miss Ramos

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Definitely ready for Ramos to come back…. Not becuz I don't like Zook, i love him, and hope he stays a Nat for a few more years but Zook has got to be tired… Liked the option of switching the Cs…. Kept them both fresh….

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I know some dont think it (but wish it)…. I just wouldn't be surprised if Eck is on the hot seat…. Maybe I'm just wishing it….

81. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I don't think yo can blame Suzuki he is being overused

82. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Mrs. B — exactly re Suzuki. He needs a real rest.For a pitcher who's pitching as well as JZimm is, that HP ump Conroy is barely giving him anything on the corner. That ball four really shouldn't have been.

83. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

yes,suzuki looks tired after that 1st ab.I think LaRoche gets the 2nd game off for Marrero.ouch!!!!!

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Come on Rendon…. That was awful….

85. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Yikes. There's the bad with the good.

86. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Damn… I knew that fly ball was too good to be true.

87. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Glad to hear FP tell it like it is. No reason for Rendon not to have sunglasses. Shouldn't be playing at any level of baseball without proper equipment, Anthony.

88. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hey, can't Rendon afford a pair of sunglasses? Where are they? Dang.

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Going back to that Zook at bat…. Shouldn't that check swing weird play… Shouldn't that have been a foul, since it hit the ground?

90. Drew - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Rendon's future's so bright …He's Gotta Wear Shades.

91. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

and on another note, how have the nats lost the art of getting a BB. Agressiveness, I don't think is the solution to hitting woes with this lineup….obp is

92. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Glad that E didn't cost the Nats any runs or JZimm more than an extra five pitches.

93. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Drew, thanks for that 2:22. Yeah you right.

94. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

theoretically, he swung and he and the catcher missed with two out, you have to throw to first forthe out. Unless you are Mickey Owens in the 1941 WS

95. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Lombo, Span, Suzuki and yes Desmond need to learn to take a walk.

96. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Going back to that Zook at bat…. Shouldn't that check swing have been a foul, since it hit the ground?No, since it went from the bat to fair territory before anybody touched it. It can't be a strike if it bounces first.

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Score some runs Nats!

98. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

jeffwx — No, on the replay it showed that Suzuki (I assume that's who you were referring to) actually hit the ball after it had bounced six inches in front of the plate. Then his "hit" went about the same six inches in front of the plate and was gobbled up by Doumit. Shows on the game summary as "grounds out softly, catcher Ryan Doumit to first baseman…".

99. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

oh…sorry Mrs B. Thought he missed it.

100. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Yes, Kobernus shows his wheels! Great hustle, rookie. You were good.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Damn that kid is fast….

102. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

thanks Eddie,,,,Yes Kobernus!!! just get on base any way you can to set up for the ++ hitters. do we have ++ hitters when Harper is out ?

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Thanks for the answers to my Zook question….

104. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Awful baserunning by Kobernus.

105. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Sigh….

106. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Are you kidding me?

107. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

yikes lots of rookie mistakes today

108. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Of course that would happen..

109. Drew - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Congrats to Kobernus on his first major league hit.The base running mistake, not so much.

110. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

WTH, Kobernus have a brain f*rt?

111. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Nationals PR ‏@NationalsPR 33sSo, since Zimm'nn walked Hamels & Rollins on 5/6/12, he's made 38+ starts and worked 247.0 innings without back-to-back walks.

112. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Shame they tried the hit and run, he had that base stolen.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Have a HUGE problem with this:Zimmerman – 64Diamond- 40

114. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yes. Suzuki must have played cricket at some time in his past the way he made contact on a pitch bounced in front of the plate.

115. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

See my post @ 12:32. I'm embarrassed by some of our executive decisions right now.

116. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Zimmermann has been striking everyone out, getting his pitch count up. That one pitch out will help.

117. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

DP, I think that may be an appropriate stat for our batters too.

118. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Sonny, unfortunately you're correct — on the replay it was clear he started looking for the ball well before he got to second but did freeze while still running.

119. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Probably Davey sending him, not on his own, but as FP points out, a) he just got his first MLB hit, so he's a little nervous, and 2) he didn't find the ball when it was hit, to get back–again, probably nerves, and the green showing. That, and fly balls on hit-and-run usually have bad outcomes.

120. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What a great, quick inning. Typical Jordan.

121. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think poor Zmnn may have the curse of Walter Johnson. Outstanding pitching with so little offense until the end of the dead ball era.

122. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Good inning for Jordan and his pitch count…. Come on Nats, lets get Diamon up there and score some runs!!!

123. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Dang, looks like Rendon still doesn't have sunglasses.

124. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

In 1968, Bob Gibson had 28 complete games in 304 innings. They don't make them like that anymore.I wonder if the bird tries to assassinate a president in a close race.

125. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

He should do it from the grassy knoll

126. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I wonder what the game would be like with Johnny Holliday doing a dodger game by himself.

127. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Look. We already have had two guys learning to play the outfield in the major leagues that never played it in the minors in Moore and Lombo. Now we start Kobernus, who has never played the outfield before this spring. I just don't understand the logic.We have two guys that are hitting good that are career outfielders in Brown and Perez.

128. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Wonder what's going on with Ryan…

129. Section 135 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

should have traded Zim while we still could have His contract will haunt this team for years.

130. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

yep…werth hitting like you should hit a guy with a 315 or so average against.

131. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Aight now LaRoche… Come on guys, keep the line a movin'…

132. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Blog to Desi…wait for your pitch.yep, if you not going to use Moore, might as well bring up an OF backup.

133. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

who sent werth with a bad hamstring

134. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

TJ

135. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

What a throw…

136. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

What the hell would Jewitt send him…. Just dumb… I can't stand Jewitt….

137. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

That wasn't a bad decision to send him. The throw was just perfect.

138. Steady Eddie - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

JW, please have your leg be OK.

139. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I can't stand Trent Jewitt…. Just dumb as hell…

140. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

What a throw ??? he was pretty far in…we had Werth with a bum leg running.

141. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Worth a shot to try to score. If the throw is off line, he makes it.

142. phil dunton - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The "Face of The Franchise" is getting extremely ugly. I say again, trade him now, before his no trade clause contract kicks in next season. Otherwise, we are stuck with another Werthless contract for many years.

143. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I'LL TAKE IT!

144. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM

finally a break

145. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Way to go Jewitt. Werth just back from missing a month with a hamstring and you send him?

146. phil dunton - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I like the way Rendon swings the bat!

147. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

David – the ball wasnt hit deep enough and Trent was waving him home while he was still at 2nd…. Trent just does not make good decisions….Lord, I miss Bo Porter….But what a play by the Twins SS… Helluva catch….

148. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Jewett has been awful at 3rd base. He doesn't belong there. Reminds me of Tolman

149. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Rendon clearly still has issues at 2B (a ball got under his glove yesterday, the dropped fly today), but his hitting makes up for it. We need him in the lineup.

150. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM

but not worth a shot to send Werth with a bum leg.I guess they recall Despi to have the all 2b outfield ;)thank you rendon, give zimm a rest…he looks tired too.

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Good hit Rendon…. Fuming mad, the score should be 3-0 with only 2 outs now….Ugh….

152. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Alex Meyer, who we traded to the Twins for Span, is going on the DL with a shoulder injury. Uh oh.

153. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Werth was already around third when Thomas got the ball (albeit not deep), and a mediocre throw does not get him. You can't have it both ways–either they play it safe or they play with more intensity, and the lack of intensity has been remarkably lacking. Span and Davey have both remarked on it, among other people.

154. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

155. 320R2S15 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

i would fire that idiot third base coach on the spot.

156. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

With a moderately fast runner it would've been a fine send. But Werth is just back from hamstring injury and the outfielder was shallow. The out was entirely predictable. Jewett doesn't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt considering his consistent backfiring overaggressiveness.Thank you Twins defense, though.

157. Another_Sam - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Trent has shaky all year.

158. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

lineup if werth has to sit in 2nd game: kobernus – 2b, lombo -lf, Rendon – 3b, Marrero -1b, Desmond – ss, Bernadina – Cf, Moore – RF, Solano – Cshades of 2008

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Is Werth hurt?

160. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM

A cleat went into Werth's shin, but he's fine.

161. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Another throwing error for Zimmerman…

162. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Oh, Zimm.

163. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

werth is probably ok…I am also wondering why an of was not brought up now considering our vulnerabilities there.

164. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Come on Ryan….

165. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I don't think lack of intensity has been the team's problem, personally, for the record. It's just a poor hitting approach.

166. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You knew there was no chance that Zim makes a good throw. Guaranteed that every time it happens it takes a little bit out of everybody on the team.

167. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

And another throwing error by Zimm. Woohoo.

168. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I forgot Lombo was playing in the OF….

169. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

11 errors could easily be double that if Laroche is not at First. That's historically awful.

170. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

i think it is lack of patience….trying to win the game rather than just trying to get on.

171. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Between Ryan and Rendon JZimm's pitch count is higher then it should be.

172. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Way to pick up Zimmerman, Zimmermann!

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Jordan just doesn't panic…. He picks his team mates up….

174. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Other players will not say it out loud but I'm sure it bothers them when Zim makes an error. Everybody including the pitcher is a bit more tense when you never know what's gonna happen when there's a ball hit to 3rd.

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

We need Jordan to have a quick 6th so he can come out in the 7th….

176. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Look at that! A National walked! Should we write this down, just to remember it?

177. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Finally get a walk.

178. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

A walk! I like this kid.

179. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

*standing ovation*. Kobernus got a walk…. Some really good at bats by him today….

180. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Zimm, wait for your pitch

181. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

LOL. Someone just posted to twitter:"Kobernus did this thing where he took four pitches out of the zone and the umpire allowed him to just walk to 1st. New rule?"

182. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Joe Seamhead said…Sonny, I disagree that it wasn't a bad call to send Jayson. The ball was way too shallow., plus Werth's recent injury. That was just plumb dumb IMHO.June 09, 2013 2:50 PMWhatever floats your boat, Joe. Because of the lack of ability of the Nats to score runs and the fact that Zimmermann may only need 1 run, I still think it was worth a shot. At that time we might not have gotten another chance.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Aight Ryan….. I see ya….Trent is an idoit….

184. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

For the record, FP mentions Ryan Zimmerman was on the field at 10:30 a.m., taking infield. That's not lollygagging.

185. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

yes,,,,so many good things happen when you don't swing at balls….runners on base, pitch count goes up, forces pitchers to throw one down the middle.

186. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Why are you walking Werth to get to LaRoche…. Lord I hope Adam makes them pay…. Hit a doubl (I won't be greedy)….

187. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

DP, maybe the nats thinking of the old 1888 rules when it took 8 balls to get a walk 😉

188. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Those were some of the worst throws I've ever seen on an intentional walk.

189. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

lefty vs lefty but I heard Diamond is not stellar (307 against) lefthanders…now this is a 2nd division team

190. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Okay then…

191. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Yessssssssssssssssssss…. Just like we scripted it!!!!! Lol

192. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

DP, that's good! Who was that?OK, put the ball in play. E4

193. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

also to allow a force at any base

194. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

that was not a basehit…how was that a basehit.

195. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Another break! Not sure I agreed with the IBB strategy. They give ALR a hit!??? Ok, then.

196. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

EmDash, those were strikes compared to these.

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Yesssss! Great hit….. Whoowowowowowowowowo!!!!!!!

198. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Nice piece of hitting Desi!

199. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Ian…clutch hit

200. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Diamonds are a Nats best friend

201. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wow! 5 runs already. Should have called up Marerro earlier.;-)

202. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Okay, that wasnt a hit by LaRoche but meh…. Home team, home breaks….Keep the line a movin…. And we are in their BP already….this is good, ESP for the double header today….

203. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Rendon can flat out hit.

204. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Did somebody mention the Doubles Machine?

205. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Kobernus and Rendon….great additions compared to some others who could not bat above 170

206. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Oh yeah baby! Way to go Rendon! Making up for your earlier snafuuuu…..

207. Timothy Folk - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

#RENDONISREADY

208. sometimesitrains - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

yay! :) i had almost forgotten this kind of inning existed!

209. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ok, boys. Save something for the second game. I'll be there. [not]

210. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Is there pizza now?

211. paul brandt - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

if he hits like that, I will take an E a game. Dude can flat out hit.

212. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

FP: He can hit. Flat out hit". That's two 2 out hits with RISP for Rendon.

213. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

when's the last time the Zimmermann had a 5 run lead or more.

214. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Love Rendon. Great hitter already.

215. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Free bases!!!

216. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Did the Twins claim H-Rod? Two wild pitches.

217. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Jeff – wasnt it the Bmore game?

218. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

join my meetup group Pizza Addicts Anonymous.First slice on me.I'm calling it…grand slam for Z

219. paul brandt - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ghost, funny and I was listening to the radio.

220. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My goodness…. Another walk….

221. EmDash - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

7 runs in one game and 2 walks in the same inning? What is this sorcery?

222. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Sec3, yes, a doubles machine.

223. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

don't look back

224. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Rendon's bat will keep him in this lineup. Barring injuries no room for Espi. Papa john's probably glad to finally be giving some pizza away.

225. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Wow, I wonder what Davey said to the team in their little meeting. Should have held the meeting earlier.

226. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Good innin boys….. Very good inning….

227. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM

probably against the marlins on Tax day

228. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Holy Shamoly!! That was just the best inning to watch!!! Let's eat up that Twinkies bullpen for so we can crush them in Game 2

229. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Paul, good minds think alike. I was never nervous with a prediction I made on Rendon. Getting to see him live in previous years and watching him barrel up is a thing of beauty. Stay in your game.

230. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I'm guessing Davey said to not be too agressive against these pitchers (the opposite of what he said in public)…wait for a good pitch or walk…these guys are not control freaks

231. sometimesitrains - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

@SCNatsFan — i actually blame Papa Johns for the Nats' fortunes this year.that's my story and i'm stickin to it.

232. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Rendon has a great sense of humor. Bowing and fist pumping after the Bronx cheers. That's hilarious.

233. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

but put on some shades, dude…

234. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Uh… Rendon should still have glasses on…. Loved the yes gesture… Lol….

235. paul brandt - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

kid can laugh at himself too, that's awesome.

236. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Speaking of barreling one up … ball clearly is not carrying to right. Zim's sounded gone off the bat, and that was hit plenty hard enough to get out. But it's Saul Good.

237. Jimmy DeMoney - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Syonara Danny, we got our Guy now! Go to AAA and show us you deserve a chance to get back to the Majors. Until then…. I'll have another.

238. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Score some runs Nats! June 09, 2013 2:27 PM ___________________________Summoning! You must also feel like a proud papa with Rendon's success so far!

239. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Another good inning by Jordan…. Good game so far Nats…. Good game…I wish I could get the Papa John's cheese sticks at a discount… Freakin love it…

240. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Kobernus hit that really hard.

241. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Thought Kobernus got that one…. So I guess Marerro plays 1st this evening?

242. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM

243. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I'm not convinced they brought up Marrero to play 1B. If we needed someone to fill in for ALR, 1B is Moore's natural position.

244. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Uh oh, stop the Pressley! Ryan Pressley has left the building. His Pressley Pass has been revoked.

245. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If we needed someone to fill in for ALR, 1B is Moore's natural position. Yes, but if he plays first, Moore has to bat, and I think that is what Marrero is here to do.

246. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

"jeffwx said… or maybe to give ALR a rest at the end of this game.Should see Bernadina out there soon"That makes to much sense.

247. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Sofa.. agree.. if Marrero stays, I think Tyler may be heading to Cuse

248. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Love this Whitney Houston song….

249. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

128, Berni has to come in…We're out of 2b men who play outfield. 😉

250. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

So maybe Rendon takes Morse's spot as the goofy guy who keeps the vets loose.

251. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I feel like a broken record and I'm sorry too…. But Tyler needs to be sent down so he can play every day… He desperately needs it… PH'ing here and there in the bigs won't help him….David – that's why I think they bought him (Marerro) up… See what he does/looks like and then assess he and TyMo….

252. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM

there is a resemblence

253. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Mrs. Seamhead says that Anthony Rendon is Micky Morse junior.

254. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Berni has to come in…We're out of 2b men who play outfield. 😉I'm telling you, Alfonso Soriano is available.

255. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Mikey Morse Junior.

256. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM

4 runs have scored today on Rendon hits. If the other 2nd baseman statistically had that same spot, probably ends the innings since they were both 2 out situations.Vive la différence!

257. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM

"128, Berni has to come in…We're out of 2b men who play outfield. ;)"No doubter!

258. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Anthony "No Locs" Rendon … Because Bryce used up all the eye black.

259. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Wait… I left the room to go to the kitchen and check on my dinner and come back to a standing O for Jordan Zimmermann…. What did I miss? The inning is over already… Good lord, he works fast….

260. sometimesitrains - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

not to jinx anything, but some pitcher on some team has been having the most amazing season i can remember since i started supporting said unnamed team. 😉

261. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Just a 1-2-3 domination, MrsB.

262. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think Rendon looks more like Aurelio Rodriguez, now Kobernus looks like the infamous and very under rated actor Herbert "Cowboy" Coward, except Jeff has all his teeth.

263. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Jeff, Davey listened to you. Marrero in for Laroche.

264. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Ouch. Collarbone foul tip.FP:"That'll make you sick to your stomach, see stars…"And that's just seeing it on TV.

265. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Soriano is back ?Another great move the Nats didn't make1. Not resigning Soriano2. Not resigning Dunn3. Not trading the good farm for Grenke

266. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Did Marerro just PH for LaRoche?

267. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Thanks Davey and for not listening to me to send more infielders to the outfield

268. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

If Rendon's ball to left had gone out in the second, he'd be a triple shy of the cycle now.

269. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I'm not sure whether that was thunder, or just rolling thunder, I heard just now.There it is again. Loud pipes save lives!

270. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Loving these walks….

271. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I am so, so impressed with Anthony Rendon. Espinosa should be sh***ing himself.

272. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Jordan Zimmermann's WHIP drops to .89 which is 2nd in the Majors. ERA to 2.00 which is 6th in the Majors. Today he seemed to be going for K's and had a high of 8 today. He has gone at least 7 innings with 2 runs or fewer in 10 of his 13 starts in 2013.

273. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

See all the Nats have to do is blow someone out and negative posts decrease. Perhaps losing causes the negative posts.

274. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Rendon is awesome. There is no reality where Espinosa should take his spot in the lineup.

275. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Golf Clap for the Twins SS…. That was a great play….

276. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

if you live near warrenton, you probably heard real thunder…preceded by lightnin

277. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The second go around next season for Rendon will be key after MLB teams have a good look at him. The major difference with Rendon over Espi is his smile, reminds me of Magic Johnson. He looks like he is having fun and is confident…that is infectious and a great thing to have in the clubhouse. He can hit too

278. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

"David Proctor said… I am so, so impressed with Anthony Rendon. Espinosa should be sh***ing himself."Maybe he should watch and learn.

279. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

and if we win, we break a potential 7 game losing streak 😉

280. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Perhaps losing causes the [unreasonably] negative posts. Or something else causes them, and winning blocks them. But it's like squeezing a water balloon –they just go somewhere else.Which works for me.

281. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

David Proctor, did you see the Jayson Werth video of his Porsche.

282. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I believe that's Kobernus's first touch on defense.

283. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I really like Ian Krol….. Good inning young man!

284. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Kobernus takes charge out there. How's about Bernadina in for Jayson Werth.Nats have another game to play.

285. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

with you gonat…suspect jason rests game 2 but who knows the mind of the DJ and who he will play next

286. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM

i think you're right gonat, if Moore comes in, we have an all infield outfield…awesome!!!

287. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… I really like Ian Krol….. Good inning young man! _________________________From the Mikey Morse trade and a callup from AA. 3 appearances and lights out.

288. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

alright Tyler

289. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Amazing that Krol was the PTBNL in the Morse trade. He wasn't even the centerpiece of it! Gonat, I did see the video. Very cool.

290. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM

A pinch-hit hit. That is a rarity! TyMo feeling the pressure finally?

291. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I was on of the only person(s) who was happy with Morse going…. People made it seem like he was the key to the offense last year when that wasnt the case…. And his OF skills, were just bad…. Didnt like him at 1b too much either (was totally glad that we resigned Adam and it made sense to sign Span)Nothing personal against Mikey Mo as I liked him but I thought he was expendable…. And I'm not even going to touch his injury history….Was totally glad with the trade that Rizzo made and I think the Nats got the sweeter end of the deal…

292. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Could the second game be the young lineup?Kobernus CFLombardozzi LFZim 3bDesmond SSRendon 2bMarrero 1bMoore RFSolano CKarns P

293. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM

It's kinda baffling seeing Kobernus and his performance today…. This type of play makes me wonder why he wasnt playing earlier….

294. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I don't like that line up Sec 3…. Unh unh…The ball isn't carrying well at all in RF…

295. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Sec 3, I think if it were a normal doubleheader yes. But I think Davey knows we need both of those and Karns is likely to give up some runs. We need a good lineup out there.

296. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Mrs B.. Check NatsLady and myself on the Mikey Mo commentary.. we were both on the ALR bandwagon the entire time.. Love Mikey's personality, but as you say, he was expendable. HOPEFULLY, Mikey gets healthy gets some playing time so he can get a nice contract at the end of this year

297. jeffwx - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I hope so, sofa….I want to see an all infield outfield. I even bought a tix to see this historic event.

298. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Xavier Cedeno debut

299. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Give it a couple of games before you make up your mind, MrsB. Although it's entirely possible Rizzo will be wondering the same thing in a few weeks.

300. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM

OK, people, I gotta leave you in charge. Grabbing my rain gear and heading for the second game.

301. Dan Strong - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Really loving the efforts from Kobernus and Rendon. Their great approach at the plate really paid off today.

302. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Clarification: I didn't say I liked that myself, I was just noting the youth possibilities. Couldn't find anyone to put in for Zim or Desmond, though.

303. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

JoeSeamhead..I thought Marrero looks more like Morse than Rendon.. (but get the goody personality side)

304. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

JZ looked like an over-powering pitcher today. Coincidence? after the ESPN article that called him a Top 5 pitcher but also classified him as not over-powering.

305. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

306. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I think we are now into the "Past a diving Zimmerman" era.

307. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Deduno is a right hander. You won't see that sort of line up especially with an off day tomorrow.

308. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

"I think we are now into the "Past a diving Zimmerman" era."I think it's more where we're playing him. He's been playing close to the line. I doubt he's lost a step at age 28.

309. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM

….. Come on Cedeno…. Get this done…. Glad he is pitching now though….Who pitches next game? Haren?

310. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Clarification: I didn't say I liked that myself, I was just noting the youth possibilitiesSec 3 — I was thinking the same thing — except (in my mind) I had Rendon over at 3b giving RZim a spell (he's been in a bad slump since that 3-HR night — although he got a key double today), Lombo at 2b, Moore in LF, and Werth as the only experienced guy in RF.

311. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Nats should move ahead of Philadelphia in the standings here in a few minutes.Philly losing 8-1

312. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 1/2 PRICE PIZZA!!!WAY TO GO JORDAN! WAY TO GO BATS AND BABY NATS!

313. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Another Curly W…. Good going Nats! Great game! Lets do this again tonight shall we?!?!?!?!?!????

314. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I tell ya…. Tip the cap to Davey for this win as I was against this line up… Lol… All I was thinking was I get to see a ST game on TV…. And Kobernus leading off, well I'll be danged!But I really wonder what and how the Merrero call up will play out…. Does Tracy go bye-bye? Does Moore go down for a while?

315. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!! Pizza is so much better than ramen noodles. :-)

316. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM