Instant Analysis: Nats 7, Twins 0

Jun 9, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT

Photo by the Associated Press
Game in a nutshell: Facing a mediocre pitcher in Minnesota’s Scott Diamond, the Nats finally took advantage by scoring a barrage of runs and set themselves up nicely for the second game of their doubleheader. Through their first three innings, it was same old, same old. Baserunning mistakes, defensive miscues, and impatience at the plate. But in the fourth they finally broke through with two runs and added five more in the fifth. Jordan Zimmermann threw more pitches than he probably would have liked, including 26 in the second inning, but otherwise coasted with seven scoreless innings.

Hitting highlight: The Nats scored five runs in the fifth inning, more than they had in their previous seven games overall. Adam LaRoche knocked in the first with a hard infield single with the bases loaded. Ian Desmond then batted home two runners with a single up the middle. The final two were brought home on a double to right field by Anthony Rendon.

1. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Nats should be back in 2nd place in a few minutes. JZ with 9 wins and Rendon with 2 big hits with 2 outs and ducks on the pond. Krol with another nice relief appearance.Replacement players making a difference!

2. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I tell ya…. Tip the cap to Davey for this win as I was against this line up… Lol… All I was thinking was I get to see a ST game on TV…. And Kobernus leading off, well I'll be danged!But I really wonder what and how the Merrero call up will play out…. Does Tracy go bye-bye? Does Moore go down for a while?

3. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

With some time between games, and after a nice win, a good time, I think, for a feel-good baseball story.DBax draft former ASU star Cory Hahn in 34th round

4. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Nats officialy in 2nd Place!

5. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!! (Credit MicheleS, yada yada yada) Pizza is so much better than ramen noodles. :-)

6. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

1A.. agree.. PIZZA TOMORROW NIGHT!Gonat.. sweet about 2nd place.. take down the phillies, work on the next step up the ladder.

7. JaneB - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Yay! Whatever ignited them I'm grateful. Apart from the whole bottom of the fifth my favorite moment was Rendon celebrating catching the fly ball. I say we keep him.

8. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

JaneB, that was definitely awesome. :-)

9. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

LaRoche came out of the game for a nature call according to Davey. LMAO

10. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

JZ the stopper once again. Wow just wow!

11. NCNatsie - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

12. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Sec3, a great story and the fact they want him working for the team just makes it even better!

13. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 49sDavey did end up having a pregame team meeting. Told the guys to relax and be more aggressive at the plate. 14 hits, 7 runs the resultWe need a team meeting every day.

14. Anna Peregrina - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

And doesn't the idea of Rendon and Harper in the same lineup sound good to everyone?

15. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

16. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Span, Werth, Harper, Zimmerman, LaRoche, Desmond, Rendon, Ramozuki, Pitcher. Who is the easy out in that lineup?

17. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

(reposting) Hey all, Wonkling was so psyched about this game, that she convinced her parents to get tix for the second game. Went to stubhub, and got 4 tix in section 310 (row b) for $7 each (!!). Anybody else going to be there? Best part — her friend, who came with us to her first ever MLB game on Thrs, and got rained out, is coming with us

18. Candide - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

NCNatsie, saw the Yankees game here in NJ yesterday, and Yankee fans get the pizza deal for only six runs. I smell a nefarious plot.

19. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

you know Drake will give [LaRoche] a hard time about coming out of the game for that.You suppose Marrero paid Drake to slip his dad a bran muffin?

20. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPDavey met with the Nats today before the game. "Just a little cheer up," he said. Anthony Rendon's abridged version of the talk: "Swing."___________________________I think Ryan Zimmerman took tht too literal in the 1st inning.

21. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Totally forgot about Karns… I thought Haren would have pitched this evening….

22. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

MicheleS said… Gonat.. you know Drake will give him a hard time about coming out of the game for that. June 09, 2013 4:48 PM ____________________________Oh you know that. Hilarious!

23. BigCat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Gosh it was good to see a couple "professional" hitters like Kobernus and Rendon. How did Espi ever , ever hold that 2b job for as long as he did. I hope they stay away from Eck. He will ruin them if they let him mess with them

24. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Kobernus a professional hitter? That seems like a huge stretch. He showed a nice approach in his 1st at-bat. BABIP worked in his favor. Let's see how he does if he sticks around.Rendon on the other hand is a professional hitter and a stark contrast to the former cemented 2nd baseman.

25. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Gonat said… Kobernus a professional hitter? That seems like a huge stretch. He showed a nice approach in his 1st at-bat.And in the post-game tv interview, he credited that approach to Eck.Just sayin' . . .

26. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That's awesome, Wonk! Nice that her friend will get to go as well. It's tv for me tonight. Have fun!

27. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Wow, so Eck helped Rendon.. what do you know a pupil that listens/learns/adjusts. Who knew.

28. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

wonk, will be at the second game, section 309.

29. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

30. Nats 128 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Do you know what you say to Rendon as his hitting Coach "Go out there and keep doing what you have been doing".

31. jeeves - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM

32. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Pizxa tomorrow and with my tick wings at hard times.Glad to see our friend',s prediction of 8 game losing streak, was incorrect.

33. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

MicheleS, I don't know if Wonk is joking or not. I sure didn't hear Eck getting mentioned by either player but it could be I missed it.I'm ok with Eck and have thought much of it is the pupils but I think it's way too early to start annointing Kobernus as a professional hitter.

34. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Gonat.. hmmm.. interesting..Anywho..jeeves, we know that Davey and Rizzo read this.. remember last year when we would post mock lineups for them and sure enough it would happen ;-) Hi Mike! Hi Davey!!!

35. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM

NatsLady said… wonk, will be at the second game, section 309.Cool. Look for us! We'll be in 310 row B. What's your row?Gonat said… MicheleS, I don't know if Wonk is joking or not. I sure didn't hear Eck getting mentioned by either player but it could be I missed it.I wasn't joking. Wonkling was watching post-game show and they were interviewing Kobernus. Knight mentioned that it must have been nice to start a game rather than pinch hit, so he could zone in, etc. Kobernus gave the standard response, that pinch hitting was hard, but he has to stay focused for when his name gets called, and that he's been working with Eck between games, etc.

36. A DC Wonk - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I'm ok with Eck and have thought much of it is the pupils…I agree, based on two overwhelming factors:1. Nats were one of NL's best hitting teams last year in the 2d half2. Davey's was a good hitter, and has been around baseball a long time. He wants the Nats to win, and he thinks Eck is one of the best. His endorsement matters to me. Conversely, if Davey thought Eck was of questionable value, Eck would be out of here.Going to the game . . .

37. Caps Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

"NCNatsie said… Why does it take 7 runs for Nats fans to get the pizza deal, when Oriole fans get it for only 5 runs? Is this another Angelos scam?"It was 6 runs last year, but apparently Papa John's had to pay out too often, so this year they raised it to 7. I think the Orioles and Yankees can get away with the lower run total because of the second part of the deal, namely the team has to also win the game. There are probably lots of times a year when the O's score 5 or the Yankees score 6 but they lose the game. Things are different in the AL.

38. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

wonk, sec309WC row J seat 7C. Am at the bullpen, gate doesn't open until six. Barfs clobbbering LA, but we could still gain 1/2 game. peoplesitting around punching all-star ballots.

39. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

40. BigCat - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

41. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Danny Knobler‏@DannyKnoblerCBS26m Mets option Ike Davis to AAA. Mike Baxter and Robert Carson, too.___________________________Davis was also lost at the plate and he goes straight to AAA even though I'm sure they could find an injury excuse.

42. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Depends what you prefer, I suppose. We usually order the thin crust, with veggies, and like it.Gonat said… I have only had PapaJohns Pizza once and it was real bad. Is it any better now? I'm a fan of Ledo Pizza and the local indepedent pizza joints. June 09, 2013 5:54 PM

43. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM

1A.. Thin crust is the best stuff they have and I do load it with veggies as well…

44. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM

the papajohns at the park is inedible. maybe it is better at their shops but i used to leave next door to one and you did not want to see their kitchen.

45. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Good pizza feedback! Thanks

46. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

natslady..Heads up.. rain coming your way.. just left Loudoun and moving fast.

47. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM

BigCat said… Kobernus hit .333 at Syracuse. He should stay in contact with that hitting coach, not Eck. Eck will ruin him like he did Espi, Roger, T-Moore, and Tracy June 09, 2013 5:57 PM ________________________________Big Cat, 3 of the 4 you mentioned are pupil issues and fall on Rizzo.Espi and TyMo both should have been sent back to AAA and I'm in agreement with those who have said Tracy wasn't a good re-sign.Bernadina OTOH has been smashing the ball the last 2 weeks with a .866 OPS.

48. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Big Cat, I'm also in agreement that Eck may not be back next year when the new Manager is chosen.Have to see how the rest of the season goes for sure.

49. Scott Margenau - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM

jeeves said…Hey, I think many of us should take some credit. It became obvious that Rizzo and Davey were going to stick with the same players come hell or high water. The fans protested, vehemently at times, to make some changes. Maybe, and I am very skeptical about this statement, someone listened. Yeah, right, I really believe that. Espy will be back soon. Gotta love Zimmermann though. A hell of a pitcher. And Krol.That scares the hell out of me. Go knock on wood immediately!!!

50. Scott Margenau - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM

The espy part

51. jeeves - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Just knocked on wood, Scott.

52. BigCat - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What is Kobernus's natural posistion? I like the way he stands in there at the plate. Rendon too. Where is Peric these days?I'll tell ya, I like these college games on the tube. UVA gotta biggie starting soon