Jun 10, 2013, 4:44 AM EDT
|Photo by the Associated Press|
The Nats entered Sunday two games under .500, fresh off an extra innings loss, after seven consecutive games where they had scored three runs or less. With a day-night doubleheader against the Twins in store, there was an unusual opportunity in their sights. They could gain some traction and do it quick.
Manager Davey Johnson took stock of the situation and called a team meeting in the morning. It was short and simple, a story from his playing days. But the message resonated and, judging by the outcome, must have worked.
The Nats scored a total of 12 runs on the day, which was more than all their previous games in June combined. The first win, a 7-0 drubbing of Minnesota, was a complete beatdown. The fifth inning alone brought five runs across, more than they had scored in an entire game since May 29.
Davey downplayed the move after the blowout, but will take the result.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies