Game 63: Nats at Rockies

Jun 11, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

First of all, I just want to take a moment to thank everyone who sent well-wishes following my unscheduled (I don't like to refer to it as "emergency") appendectomy Saturday morning. I'm doing great, actually was back home 12 hours after the procedure. I'm still a little stiff and sore at the incision point, and I haven't been cleared for any baseball activities yet, but otherwise all is good. I'll be monitoring this week's games in Colorado and Cleveland from the home office, then I should be rejoining the club Monday in Philadelphia.

The Nationals open a three-game series tonight at Coors Field, but attention once again will be on Bryce Harper, who is back with the team after yesterday's examination in Pensacola, Fla., with noted orthopedist James Andrews. Davey Johnson will be giving the full update on Harper during his pregame media session (which should come around 6:30 p.m. EDT) but I can tell you (via a source close to Harper) that he has not undergone any type of surgery and any concern about that photo of him wearing a knee brace is "probably overblown."

As for tonight's game, Dan Haren gets the start, trying to bounce back from a ragged start against the Mets and trying to get the Nationals back over the .500 mark. Enjoy the game and the conversation here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 86 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
LF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth

1. Doc - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

So MarkMeister, are you going to do a media rehab down in Hagerstown or Potomic? LOL

2. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Great, great, great to have you back, Mark. And don't discount the operation. Remember, a "minor" operation is when somebody else has it. It's "major" when you've undergone it. Great to have you back, at least at the home office. Can't file updates from a hospital room. Though, if anybody can, it would be you.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

How's about heading over to Crystal City today Mark and interview Bryce Harper!

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Best 19 are here and when the 5 injured players get off the DL the Best 24. 1 change to make.Are they afraid if Tracy leaves he takes the Goon Squad T-shirts with him?

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Crystal City? So he's *not* "back with the team"?

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

@MikeDiGiovanna No surgery for #Angels LHP Sean Burnett but he will be shut down for a month, won't pick up a ball.There you go. No surgery per Dr. Andrews. Where is the indicative TJ that some were calling for?

7. Drew - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Glad you're closer to tip-top, Mark.If folks don't believe a moray eel caused the scar, blame it on a thresher shark, or Mary Ellen Moffat.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Sec3, my understanding is he flew to Washington to relax. I think they will send him on a 2 day rehab assignment once he wakes up with no swelling and feeling 100%.

9. bowdenball - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

GoSM-As I said at the end of the last thread, maybe they're afraid that if Corey Brown replaces him he'll lose whatever minimal trade value he may have when he's raking in AAA, because he strikes out way too much against AAA pitching to even think about hitting major league pitching.I'd give Brown a try too, because Tracy's been that bad. But those of you who hate strikeouts would absolutely despise watching Brown hit. No position player on the current roster strikes out as much as Brown. In fact some of the pitchers don't strike out as much as Brown.

10. sm13 - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Sounds like Dr. A wasn't in a cuttimg mood yesterday. Both Sean and Bryce escaped the scalpel. Now, lets see how long before Bryce returns to the lineup, with or without a brace.

11. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Mr. Zuckerman: Glad you're better, but take it easy.Anyone: Is Jhoulys Chacin the Rockies pitcher who took that nasty line-drive to the face off a Nats' bat (maybe Ian Desmond's) a couple of seasons ago?

12. DL in VA - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

No. That was Juan Nicasio.

13. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Got it; thanks, DL.

14. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Just look at the respective era's of both pitchers. And in Coors. Yikes. I hope someone has tied Bryce to a chair. And I don't ever want to hear again that he knows his body best. He is. 20. No he does not. He thinks he is superhuman. As do all 20 yr olds.

15. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I don't know what it means, but I think Jhoulys Chacin is the prettiest name in baseball.

16. EmDash - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Strasburg pitching against live hitters now, it would appear.

17. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Ooh, emdash– you know how to make my day!!

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

bowdenball, I'm a realist. It's short-term gain and probably long-term frustration with Corey although he has had 2 big time pressure contact plays which stick in mind. He had that suicide squeeze in his 1st game and had that walk-off single.If the Nats are in it in July, it's the big lefty bat off the bench that Davey needs.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

embdash, nice pic and prayers given! Let's go Stras!

20. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Pretty quiet on the Det side of things. I assume he is with the team?

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 2m Stephen Strasburg already completed his sim game at Coors Field. Threw to a few teammates. Seems he was still alive when he left the mound.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

baseballswami, Det is with the team. If Ohlendorf is with the team, they are keeping under wraps.

23. PDowdy83 - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

JD, Byron Kerr is reporting "shoulder fatigue" that does not appear serious for the reaon Solis was placed on the MiLB DL. Doug Harris says Solis has been working very hard with his rehab and could benefit from a few days rest.

24. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Ghost– The fans want to know. Time to unwrap!

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 49s The #nats signed right-hander Mark Lowe and assigned him to Triple-A Syracuse, the team announced.Also time to find out Henry Rodriguez's fate today. Stay tuned.

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

swami, very true. Unwrap!

27. EmDash - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Mark Lowe. Hm. That's a weird dumpster-diving kind of move, though I guess there's no such thing as a bad minor league deal…

28. SCNatsFan - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I thought it was Derek Lowe thought that was a strange signing.My guess on Henry? The Angels.

29. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Oh, Henry. I thought maybe Bo would have taken him by now. The Blue Jays picked up Wang, maybe Henry, too?

30. pwilly - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

With all the call-ups from the minors Lowe is probably just to restock the system. When you release two pitchers from the bullpen it trickles down to the farm.

31. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

PDowdy83,That's good news on Solis. This guy is an actual prospect and was going to be fast tracked to the majors before the TJ.

32. bowdenball - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

GoSM-We're basically on the same page. I think the problem is not that Tracy is still on the 25 man as the LH bench bat instead of Brown, but that those guys are our two best options. I do think Brown is worth a try, just because he can't be worse than Tracy has been, so I guess I'm with you there too. Plus all that whiffing could help keep the fans cool through the hot DC summer.

33. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM

pwilly, Yeah, the Syracuse rotaion is :Maya, Rosenbaum, Tatusko, Tora and Mandel. Not exactly prospects row and not a lot of taxi squad potential either.

34. Drew - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

MLBTR had some interesting Rockies numbers today in a post about Roy Oswalt's future with the team.The Rockies are third in the majors with 317 runs scored. The team got off to a brisk start because it had a competitive 4.24 ERA in the first month.The Rockies' team ERA has regressed badly, topping 5.00 over the last two weeks.They can be had, but the Nats have to bring the lumber.

35. John C. - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Welcome back, Mark. Very glad to hear that you are on the mend.

36. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Bowdenball and Ghost, Brown was in the top 5 in almost all offensive categories in AAA last year and yet he was not called up and used when injuries occurred. He was never really put in position to compete for a job in spring training and he also didn't do anything to open anyone's eyes. The Nats talent evaluators aren't idiots. They must know he's a AAAA player or he would have been up by now. What do you guys think about acquiring some one like Schirholtz (excuse the spelling) or Duda or someone of that nature? what if the price is: Matt Skole or Destin Hood?

37. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Mark, Had I known you were under the knife I would have said a prayer on your behalf last Saturday morning. Get well soon and come back soon.

38. EmDash - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Going to be an unpleasant game for the players – currently 98 degrees in Denver.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Tonight should be win 3 of 10.Though another poster think is loss 5 in a row.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM

JD, the Nats talent evaluators aren't idiots Who got Paul.LoDuca and Chad Tracy and Henry Rodriguez?

41. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Ghost,That's harsh. Everybody makes mistakes. All these guys made some sense at one time or another.

42. Don - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Haren's gotta pund the zone. Can't walk anyone at Coors and he'll need the groundballs (which he can get). I am so glad that Werth is not batting 2 over the last several games. It's just a bad place for the guy to be. They tote his OBP ability but that is a side effect of his strength, he's a guy who can hit 30 bombs, he's swinging for the fences and he's being oh-so-very handsomely paid to produce runs, not to bunt guys over and take some pitches so Span can steal, etc. Also glad that Zuckerman is back on his feet with the coverage. :-)

43. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM

How can it be 98 degrees? Wasn't it snowing about 5 minutes ago?

44. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Werth doesn't have his good legs back. I saw that when Trent Jewett sent him home. Best he hits lower in the order.

45. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I liked Werth in the 2 hole, but I like Rendon there better. I'd do Span-Rendon-Harper-Zimmerman-Werth-LaRoche-Desmond-Suzuki-Pitcher. Although I'm not sure I like Desi so far down. But LaRoche shouldn't be hitting 7th either. Kinda tough.

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM

JD, I fire the person who got LoDuca. Oh that's right, JimBo.

47. JD - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM

David, It may well end up this way next year but I think they want to keep the pressure off the kid for now.I think Werth may end up 6th or 7th when everyone is back and healthy. Don, Werth has hit over 30 HR's one time and it was in the Philly band box. He ain't the power hitter you portray and he isn't going to become one at his age.

48. Don - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

JD — Fair enoguh, but my point on Werth is that he is better suited to bat in the middle of the order, where he has had by far his best MLB success. I think Rendon at 2 makes a lot of sense. He makes contact and hits the ball to all fields, he has ddecent speed and can drop a bunt — and if he has to bunt it's not some terrible wsate like Harper wasting a chance to mash a ball into the next county.

49. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM

While it's true he's only hit 30 homers once, he is capable of hitting a lot of doubles. In 2010, he hit 46 doubles. Last year he hit 21 in only 81 games.

50. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Span is usually good for about 5 HRs a year. He hasn't hit any yet (came close against the Phillies). I predict he hits one this series, aided by Coors Field.

51. Steamer - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I agree with you Ghost!!!

52. Steamer - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM

But thank you for all the Nats fans that are thinking about Sean,he is a warrior

53. Steady Eddie - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM

David Proctor — the bizarre thing about that almost-dinger Span hit against the Phillies is that it went on a line well into the second deck (was only maybe a foot or so foul — I was sitting right under its pathway down the RF line). It went so much further than anything else I'd seen Span hit this year, fair or foul, that it was jarring — like, where did THAT come from?

54. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 25s#nats head trainer Lee Kuntz said Bryce Harper had a PRP shot as well as a cortisone shot in his bursa sac during his visit to Dr. Andrews.PRP = Platelet Rich Plasma

55. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 22sThe plan is for Harper to rest for one week and then the docs will reevaluate him. Knee was put in brace solely to rest it.

56. Steady Eddie - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Steamer — I have very fond memories of Sean reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to my then-10-year old daughter during the Nats' 2011 Picnic in the Park.And I loved the way he had just straightened out his game from what was a couple of meltdown months before that by the simple step of moving his release point to the first base end of the rubber.

57. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Harper tweeted"Bryce Harper ‏@Bharper3407 33s"We should reflect on our eternal goals and not make hasty and unwise decisions.” –Robert D. Hales #GoodthingstaketimeRoss Ohlendorf officially starting tomorrow, Detwiler coming off the DL and starting Thursday.

58. Steamer - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Thanks Eddie I will tell him that he does miss the Nats fans

59. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Steamer, good luck to Sean. Maybe we will see him next year in Interleague or the WS ;

60. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

It's interesting that Harper got a cortisone shot after initially saying he wasn't going to do it.

61. EmDash - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Maybe having a doctor like Andrews tell him it was safe reassured him? Hard to say.

62. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Did they announce the roster move for Ohlendorf?

63. David Proctor - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I'd think it's Karns since Detwiler is pitching Thursday.

64. Caps Fan - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I have fond memories of Sean Burnett reading 50 Shades of Gray with Clippard and Mattheus.

65. Another_Sam - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

MZ – Glad you're back. I hope you take it easy for a bit.this lineup: I'm okay with it. I'd like BH in there but reading down this lineup doesn't make me cringe.

66. paul brandt - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Hey Doc Andrews, interesting to see your conservative approach with Harper & Burnett and I applaud you for it but where was that same approach with RG3 when he limped back on the field vs. Seattle on the colored dirt/sod they call a field at Fed-ex? still upsets me.

67. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM

If you are watching pre game– did you see Tyler facing right up to reporters? Taking responsibility. Having a great attitude. Willing to do whatever the team needs. How can you not pull for a kid like that?? Hope we see him again soon and he is hitting the cover off the ball.

68. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM

And as for Bryce– of course I would love to have him out there. But I would like the team to break it's dependence on him. I would like him to know, and the team to know, that he is not the only guy on the team. Too much pressure. Could be a good lesson for everyone.

69. Another_Sam - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Swami — well said. I agree completely. Good thought.

70. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Hoping for no errors by Rendon. I know he's still learning the position, but against a team like the Rockies and hitters like CarGo and Tulo, you can't give them extra outs.That goes for Ryan too.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

GYFNG

72. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Oh, Balkin Bob Davidson is the HP ump…

73. SCNatsFan - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Please let it be the good Haren tonight

74. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Oh, no– it's Balking Bob!!!!!

75. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM

David!!!!!

76. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 35sDenard Span, playing his first game in Denver, looked gassed after running out a foul ball to right. Laughed pre-game about the altitude.Something to keep an eye on?

77. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Zim has hit a few doubles extremely far. Should be homers. Makes me wonder if the strength in his shoulder is good, but not quite all the way there. Of course, he hit 3 homers against Baltimore so that would seem to dispel that.

78. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Really hot there, too.

79. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Was that an actual walk???? By a Nat????

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hey folks… Just got home… Saw Zimm et all… What happened to Span and Roger?

81. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Ugh, it would've been nice to at least get Zim in there.

82. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Glad to see us being patient at the plate…. Please let good Haren show up…. *sigh*

83. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Span ripped a ball that was about 1 foot foul. Had triple written all over it. Then he hit a ball hard to first for the out. Roger had a soft groundout.

84. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Please be good Dan Haren today…

85. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Span and Roger grounded out. So , don't get me wrong, I love watching the Nats, but I would love to have checked out the Gerrit Cole debut, which I thought was going to be on MLB. Rays and Sox. Guess they are hoping for another fight.

86. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Bad BABIP or bad umping?

87. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM

It hit the chalk. Bad BABIP.

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Thanks for the answers….

89. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Horrible luck.

90. Steamer - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Swami it was awesome first batter he struck out then his first time up to bat a single that brought in 2 runs

91. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Dan Haren's fastball <. Stras' change up??

92. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Passed ball on Suzuki. Can't be making those mistakes.

93. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Good job Haren.

94. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Steamer– should be on tv!!!

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM

*golf clap for Haren for that inning*. Hoping we can get at least 6 more…

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Very tight SZ….

97. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I am just hoping Haren gets through his outing without Balkin Bob calling him on a balk.

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Oh yeah…. Welcome back Mark…. Glad to hear you are doing good (better)….

99. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Another walk!

100. Steamer - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

For you guys yes it should of but I'm in central Pa and watched it on roots sports.The bad thing the buccos get no respect

101. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Swami, with the runner on third, I was terrified of a balk call scoring the run.

102. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Another walk! Who said the Nats never walk?

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Okay… So I didnt see Denard or Rogers's at bat but it seems as if everyone else is going good with their plate approaches….

104. Steamer - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

And he's done 7 1/3 and the buccos 5 to 0

105. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Good job Anthony!

106. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Steamer- that game is a great matchup!!

107. paul brandt - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Come on Rendon, elevate! haha!

108. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

No double play ball Suzuki.

109. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM

So once again a kid comes up with a simple approach to hitting. Seems like eventually something or someone(ahem) ruins them.

110. Steamer - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Back to the Nats lets Go!!!!

111. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Not a productive out, Suzuki.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Zook was safe!!!! Good call, blue…

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Haren can hit…. Idk about bunting…

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Well I'll be damn…. A good bunt…. Come on Denard, give me a hit baby!

115. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Interesting at bat.

116. paul brandt - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM

MrsB – replay disagrees with you but I don't.

117. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM

That a boy Span! Small ball pays off at Coors Field.

118. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Oh yeah baby!!!!! Go head Denard…. I love that man…. 2 out runs!!!!

119. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Alright Haren, a shutdown inning here would be huge.

120. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Whatever works.

121. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Bryce Harper ‏@Bharper3407 1mI want to play already! Can't sit here and watch my boys out there! Miss being on the field! #DLsucksI'm sure it's killing him.

122. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I was hoping that D Span would hit his first Hr as a Nat and the season while at Nats Park…. But I would totally be okay, if he hit it this series…

123. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

This zone is extremely small.

124. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Every time a ball is hit in the air, I hold my breath.

125. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:23 AM

David – hahahahahahahah me too… Lol…. I was like oh stuffin, when that went into the air…. Lol…

126. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:23 AM

*another golf clap for Haren for that inning*Need about 5 more of thoses…

127. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Let's add some runs now, 2 is nowhere near enough.

128. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Adam seems to beat the shift a lot…

129. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Chacin at 60 pitches already

130. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM

make that 64

131. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM

That's real good Mick…. I'm hoping we can get another 20 pitch inning next time….And I'm hoping for a short inning for Haren, right now….

132. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM

yup

133. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Adam is a smart hitter. If they overshift him, he'll bunt or just poke it that way.

134. Steady Eddie - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Good Dan through three. Now like to see Rendon's first dinger.

135. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM

That may have been the worst at bat ever by Chacin.

136. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM

*golf clap for Haren for another great inning*Need about 4 more…. Thanks!

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Haren has kept pitches low, hope he can do it second time around.

138. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Wow. That was a popup and it nearly went out.

139. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I thought he was gonna drop that…

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Carp pulls a Johnny. says Suzuki throws him out. he meant Tulo threw out Suzuki.

141. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM

how bout that!

142. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Watching Dan Haren run the bases in the funniest thing ever.

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Haren… Is…. Faster… Than…a…. Mustang…..*snickers*

144. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Chacin now at 79 pitches, 5th could be his last

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ouch Span…. Not a good at bat…

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Davey said we were going to become aggressive hitting.We have a little bit.

147. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Alright we got Shark, Zim, Werth up next inning. Good opportunity to add some runs.

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The 5th inning has been an enigma for Haren…. Hopefully, he will keep cruising…Seems like it's hard to play 1b battling the sun right now…

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Mrs B not great that time but great last time.

150. Eric - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Fun game so far!When are they gonna implement 1st base mics? I really wanna know what base runners and first basemen talk about…

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Oh yeah MNF… I'm hoping Span gets his first HR as a Nat this series….

152. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I really wanna know what base runners and first basemen talk about…one of baseball's mysteries

153. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Do we have any .300 batters yet?

154. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Rendon might be close.

155. Eric - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM

We did til Harper got hurt.Haren knows *exactly* what he's doing so far.

156. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I have to say, when Haren is actually on, he's one of the more fun pitchers to watch. He just goes out there and hits his spots and paints. Reminds me of JZimm. Obviously when he's off, I'd rather gauge my eyes out than watch.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Haren 56 pitches through 4. Most have been low.

158. Eric - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Per MASN broadcast, Rendon was at .293 before that last fly out.

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Every time Haren steps on the mound or moves, I get nervous the ump is gonna call balk…I've totally lost the definition of it, at this point…Damn, didnt realize that was the 4th, thought it was the 5th…*golf clap for Haren for another good inning*

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Rendon

161. Eric - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Zim ascended to I believe .300 even during his 3-hr game, then dipped back below in his final at bat.

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Just a great play by Roger…..

163. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Come on Zim…don't do that.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM

RZim has hit less double plays this year, but still way too many.He hits the ball hard and runs too slow.

165. paul brandt - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Jayson, nice slide, i think? is there a name for it?

166. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…RZim has hit less double plays this year, but still way too many.agreed

167. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM

If 2nd is open and a speedy runner at 1st, DJ has got to send that runner…. Zimm hits in DP's an awful lot….

168. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM

We need more runs. I feel very uncomfortable with 2 runs in Coors Field…

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM

As long as the hamstring is okay….

170. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM

David – I'm sitting here hoping for a 4-0 game…. But I will take 2-0….

171. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM

LaRoche not being very helpful.He has come up twice with a man on second. Then makes an out.In between he comes up with no one on and he gets a hit.Unfruitful batting

172. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Matt Gelb ‏@magelb 51sI've never seen this. The wrong Twins reliever came in from the bullpen. He is running back and a new one is here.That's hilarious and embarrassing.

173. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Uh oh, Haren is suddenly missing up…

174. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Uhm…. Haren, you aight?

175. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Yikes that pitch to Colvin. Lucky it's not 2-2.

176. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Okay, Haren, please bring it back down….

177. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Of course. Knew it.

178. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I just said… Bring it back down…. That is terrible….

179. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

so that is 16 gopher balls for Haren..anyone know the record?

180. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

It's the 5th inning… So you knew it was gonna happen…. He maxes out at the 5th more times than others..Come on offense…

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

A good outing goes to…

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Damn you Haren .Walk then honer. The walk 0-2 to start with.If he rattles then he is not a 10 year pro.Keeping the ball down worked get back to it.

183. EmDash - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Oh, Haren. He had started so well. Keep it low, man.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Big cat asked me record last week. 50 by hall of famer Bert Blylevin

185. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM

a team has to score 4 runs min verse Rockies in their park

186. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM

The walk hurt… As most of them do… But Haren has been more on than off…We need to get back to the good patient at bats and not leave runners stranded…

187. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Big cat asked me record last week. 50 by hall of famer Bert Blylevinor real? what year, Bert was a very pitcher…was it 1970-73?

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Maybe Zook needs to go out there and talk to him… Cuz everything is back up….

189. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Get the bullpen warming before Haren blows this thing open.

190. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM

5th inning the killer for Haren and it's hot. Davey, get someone up. Please.

191. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Now I'm pissed…. Totally pissed…

192. David Proctor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM

ABORT. ABORT ABORT.

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I said it earlier… 5th inning, he maxes out… Never fails and is predictable…

194. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:15 AM

ALR fielded one day well in the last week. Again anotherdouble play he gave away.

195. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Davey, too slow. Too slow, we have see this show before. Should have had someone up already. Come on Dan, make some pitches.

196. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:15 AM

bottom line, Nats need more than 2 runs a game to beat this team

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM

When everything is down, it works for Haren… As soon as his pitches started elevating, you knew something terrible was gonna happen….Big out…

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

You cant walk people here, and cant misplay balls like ALR.that is a losing proposition here.

199. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I thought Zook should have come out and talk to Dan after the walk…

200. mick - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

maybe Haren can be a middle reliever down the stretch?