Jun 12, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
We've talked plenty about the Nationals' ever-changing rotation, and obviously there will be a new member added to that group tonight when Ross Ohlendorf (just summoned from Class AAA Syracuse) takes the mound against the Rockies. But a great pitching performance is only as good as the run support said pitcher gets from his teammate, and few Nats pitchers are getting much run support these days.
So it's up to tonight's starting eight to get something going at hitter-friendly Coors Field. It didn't happen last night, when the Nationals scored two early runs and then essentially shut down for the rest of the evening. Perhaps this group can enjoy some more sustained success against Jorge De La Rosa, a pretty good left-hander for Colorado.
Davey Johnson will try out a couple of new faces, with Jeff Kobernus making his second career start (his first in left field) and Jhonatan Solano behind the plate (he worked with Ohlendorf in Syracuse earlier this year). Otherwise, it's the same lineup we've seen for much of the last week.
As you know, I'm not in Colorado, but please enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
LF Jeff Kobernus
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins