Jun 12, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
We've talked plenty about the Nationals' ever-changing rotation, and obviously there will be a new member added to that group tonight when Ross Ohlendorf (just summoned from Class AAA Syracuse) takes the mound against the Rockies. But a great pitching performance is only as good as the run support said pitcher gets from his teammate, and few Nats pitchers are getting much run support these days.
So it's up to tonight's starting eight to get something going at hitter-friendly Coors Field. It didn't happen last night, when the Nationals scored two early runs and then essentially shut down for the rest of the evening. Perhaps this group can enjoy some more sustained success against Jorge De La Rosa, a pretty good left-hander for Colorado.
Davey Johnson will try out a couple of new faces, with Jeff Kobernus making his second career start (his first in left field) and Jhonatan Solano behind the plate (he worked with Ohlendorf in Syracuse earlier this year). Otherwise, it's the same lineup we've seen for much of the last week.
As you know, I'm not in Colorado, but please enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
LF Jeff Kobernus
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East