Jun 12, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
We've talked plenty about the Nationals' ever-changing rotation, and obviously there will be a new member added to that group tonight when Ross Ohlendorf (just summoned from Class AAA Syracuse) takes the mound against the Rockies. But a great pitching performance is only as good as the run support said pitcher gets from his teammate, and few Nats pitchers are getting much run support these days.
So it's up to tonight's starting eight to get something going at hitter-friendly Coors Field. It didn't happen last night, when the Nationals scored two early runs and then essentially shut down for the rest of the evening. Perhaps this group can enjoy some more sustained success against Jorge De La Rosa, a pretty good left-hander for Colorado.
Davey Johnson will try out a couple of new faces, with Jeff Kobernus making his second career start (his first in left field) and Jhonatan Solano behind the plate (he worked with Ohlendorf in Syracuse earlier this year). Otherwise, it's the same lineup we've seen for much of the last week.
As you know, I'm not in Colorado, but please enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
LF Jeff Kobernus
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen