Jun 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
Runs per game: 3.8
Opponent runs per game: 5.2
Batting average: .282
Batting average against: .257
Team ERA: 4.09
Jordan Zimmermann, SP – 1-0/7 IP/0 ER/2 H/8 SO
Through two full months, Zimmermann has put himself in prime position to start the All-Star Game for the National League. The evidence so far? Zimmermann ranks tied for first in the NL in wins (9), fourth in innings pitched (94.2), fourth in ERA (2.00), first in WHIP (0.89), first in complete games (3), and fifth in batting average against (.205). For Jordan Zimmermann’s case as one of baseball’s best pitchers, the numbers don’t lie.
Ian Desmond, SS – 7-20/1 2B/5 RBI/.381 OBP
In 100 May at-bats Desmond struggled mightily to the tune of a lowly .220/.273/.436 slash. But so far in June, Desmond has been the Nationals best hitter, as evidenced by his .375/.394/.625 line through eight games. One possible reason for Desmond’s June hot streak? The five games the Nationals played last week at Nationals Park, where Desmond is hitting .304/.328/.513 in 31 games this year.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason