Jun 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
Runs per game: 3.8
Opponent runs per game: 5.2
Batting average: .282
Batting average against: .257
Team ERA: 4.09
Jordan Zimmermann, SP – 1-0/7 IP/0 ER/2 H/8 SO
Through two full months, Zimmermann has put himself in prime position to start the All-Star Game for the National League. The evidence so far? Zimmermann ranks tied for first in the NL in wins (9), fourth in innings pitched (94.2), fourth in ERA (2.00), first in WHIP (0.89), first in complete games (3), and fifth in batting average against (.205). For Jordan Zimmermann’s case as one of baseball’s best pitchers, the numbers don’t lie.
Ian Desmond, SS – 7-20/1 2B/5 RBI/.381 OBP
In 100 May at-bats Desmond struggled mightily to the tune of a lowly .220/.273/.436 slash. But so far in June, Desmond has been the Nationals best hitter, as evidenced by his .375/.394/.625 line through eight games. One possible reason for Desmond’s June hot streak? The five games the Nationals played last week at Nationals Park, where Desmond is hitting .304/.328/.513 in 31 games this year.
Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder