Jun 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
Runs per game: 3.8
Opponent runs per game: 5.2
Batting average: .282
Batting average against: .257
Team ERA: 4.09
Jordan Zimmermann, SP – 1-0/7 IP/0 ER/2 H/8 SO
Through two full months, Zimmermann has put himself in prime position to start the All-Star Game for the National League. The evidence so far? Zimmermann ranks tied for first in the NL in wins (9), fourth in innings pitched (94.2), fourth in ERA (2.00), first in WHIP (0.89), first in complete games (3), and fifth in batting average against (.205). For Jordan Zimmermann’s case as one of baseball’s best pitchers, the numbers don’t lie.
Ian Desmond, SS – 7-20/1 2B/5 RBI/.381 OBP
In 100 May at-bats Desmond struggled mightily to the tune of a lowly .220/.273/.436 slash. But so far in June, Desmond has been the Nationals best hitter, as evidenced by his .375/.394/.625 line through eight games. One possible reason for Desmond’s June hot streak? The five games the Nationals played last week at Nationals Park, where Desmond is hitting .304/.328/.513 in 31 games this year.
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured