Jun 13, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
It's been 29 days since Ross Detwiler last pitched, a strained right oblique muscle having shelved him for nearly a month. Today, the left-hander returns to the mound, healthy and hoping to pick up where he left off. In eight starts before the injury, Detwiler sported a 2.76 ERA, certainly pitching better than his 2-4 record would suggest.
The Nationals have missed their No. 5 starter and gladly welcome him back with open arms this afternoon as they seek to win their second straight against the Rockies and take this series. With Detwiler officially activated off the DL, reliever Erik Davis has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. That means Ross Ohlendorf is sticking around for now, though the Nats will need to make another roster move on Sunday when Stephen Strasburg returns.
After watching his club score five runs last night against Jorge De La Rosa and Co., Davey Johnson is going with a similar lineup against fellow lefty Jeff Francis. That means Jeff Kobernus makes his second straight start in left field, batting second. The only change: Kurt Suzuki returns behind the plate, batting eighth.
Though I'm not in Denver for this series, I will be watching alongside all of you this afternoon. And I'll have an Instant Analysis post as soon as the game ends, so be sure to check back for that…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF
CF Denard Span
LF Jeff Kobernus
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher