Jun 13, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
It's been 29 days since Ross Detwiler last pitched, a strained right oblique muscle having shelved him for nearly a month. Today, the left-hander returns to the mound, healthy and hoping to pick up where he left off. In eight starts before the injury, Detwiler sported a 2.76 ERA, certainly pitching better than his 2-4 record would suggest.
The Nationals have missed their No. 5 starter and gladly welcome him back with open arms this afternoon as they seek to win their second straight against the Rockies and take this series. With Detwiler officially activated off the DL, reliever Erik Davis has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. That means Ross Ohlendorf is sticking around for now, though the Nats will need to make another roster move on Sunday when Stephen Strasburg returns.
After watching his club score five runs last night against Jorge De La Rosa and Co., Davey Johnson is going with a similar lineup against fellow lefty Jeff Francis. That means Jeff Kobernus makes his second straight start in left field, batting second. The only change: Kurt Suzuki returns behind the plate, batting eighth.
Though I'm not in Denver for this series, I will be watching alongside all of you this afternoon. And I'll have an Instant Analysis post as soon as the game ends, so be sure to check back for that…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF
CF Denard Span
LF Jeff Kobernus
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss