Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over five innings in his return from the DL.
Game in a nutshell: In the rubber game of the first series of a long road trip, the Nationals found themselves needing to rally from behind to beat a tough Rockies club. Ryan Zimmerman gave them an early 2-1 lead on his 10th homer of the season, but Colorado came right back to take a 3-2 lead off the just-reinstated Ross Detwiler. Still trailing in the seventh, the Nationals "rallied" to tie the game thanks to back-to-back balks called on reliever Wilton Lopez (who was subsequently ejected). They then took the lead in more conventional fashion, getting back-to-back doubles from Roger Bernadina and Zimmerman, then an RBI single from the red-hot Ian Desmond (who went 4-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 15 games). Solid relief work from Craig Stammen, Xavier Cedeno and Drew Storen bridged the gap to Rafael Soriano, who did allow one run to score in the ninth before sealing his 17th save. Thus the Nationals head to Cleveland with a series victory, a winning record (33-32) and a deficit in the NL East that has now been trimmed to 5 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: Obviously, Zimmerman's two-run homer and RBI double played crucial roles in today's win, but let's not ignoreRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent