Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over five innings in his return from the DL.
Game in a nutshell: In the rubber game of the first series of a long road trip, the Nationals found themselves needing to rally from behind to beat a tough Rockies club. Ryan Zimmerman gave them an early 2-1 lead on his 10th homer of the season, but Colorado came right back to take a 3-2 lead off the just-reinstated Ross Detwiler. Still trailing in the seventh, the Nationals "rallied" to tie the game thanks to back-to-back balks called on reliever Wilton Lopez (who was subsequently ejected). They then took the lead in more conventional fashion, getting back-to-back doubles from Roger Bernadina and Zimmerman, then an RBI single from the red-hot Ian Desmond (who went 4-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 15 games). Solid relief work from Craig Stammen, Xavier Cedeno and Drew Storen bridged the gap to Rafael Soriano, who did allow one run to score in the ninth before sealing his 17th save. Thus the Nationals head to Cleveland with a series victory, a winning record (33-32) and a deficit in the NL East that has now been trimmed to 5 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: Obviously, Zimmerman's two-run homer and RBI double played crucial roles in today's win, but let's not ignoreRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard