Instant analysis: Nats 5, Rockies 4

Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 PM EST

Associated Press
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over five innings in his return from the DL.

Game in a nutshell: In the rubber game of the first series of a long road trip, the Nationals found themselves needing to rally from behind to beat a tough Rockies club. Ryan Zimmerman gave them an early 2-1 lead on his 10th homer of the season, but Colorado came right back to take a 3-2 lead off the just-reinstated Ross Detwiler. Still trailing in the seventh, the Nationals "rallied" to tie the game thanks to back-to-back balks called on reliever Wilton Lopez (who was subsequently ejected). They then took the lead in more conventional fashion, getting back-to-back doubles from Roger Bernadina and Zimmerman, then an RBI single from the red-hot Ian Desmond (who went 4-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 15 games). Solid relief work from Craig Stammen, Xavier Cedeno and Drew Storen bridged the gap to Rafael Soriano, who did allow one run to score in the ninth before sealing his 17th save. Thus the Nationals head to Cleveland with a series victory, a winning record (33-32) and a deficit in the NL East that has now been trimmed to 5 1/2 games.

Hitting highlight: Obviously, Zimmerman's two-run homer and RBI double played crucial roles in today's win, but let's not ignoreRead more »

1. Steve J, Alexandria - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Can anyone clear this up for me – I thought Espinosa was supposed to get his shoulder repaired and his 'broken wrist or hand' repaired. yet he playing? they're not considering bringing him back I hope?

2. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

A's won… My dad is some kinda mad… He is Yanks and Nats fan….

3. Steve J, Alexandria - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If the A's walked off, then the Yanks win by way of forfeit!! haha

4. Get Some Players - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM

AJ Cole tonight vs B-more's Frederick:7 IP 4 hits 2 bb 0 runs 10 Ks

5. Joe Seamhead - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM

A J Cole has a 4 hit shutout going into the 7th for Potomac.Also Billy Burns now has 33 SB's and has only been caught 3 times.Did somebody step in something? It smells funny in here.

6. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Espi had MRI's– apparently no one is worried about the shoulder. He is on the DL – this is officially a rehab start. He got a magical cortisone shot and is clear to begin baseball activities- 3 innings today. It is unclear how long he will stay in AAA.

7. UnkyD - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Swami at 9:09… I'm in!!

8. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Drew- thanks for the excellent review. Very exciting.Steve J. – they never said anything about Danny's shoulder. He got a cortisone shot in his wrist & was sent to AAA to work things out. As I said earlier, I hope it's quite a lengthy time.Swami, will ignore with ease.

9. JaneB - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I am grateful for the Chief's info, NatsJack and others. Thanks.LessPlatu, I wonder who you used to post as. Regardless, I know now to ignore all you post (and you post a lot) just like I learned for some others. I suggest we all do the same.

10. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Great, unkyd! Hope it spreads.

11. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

ugh my fantasy team ERA went up thanks to Rivera blowing that game.

12. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

JaneB – done

13. NationalsFanatic - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Although he'll totally deny it…..no ones seems to be recognizing the unmistakable presence of one "Poppy McPoop". He's a master at stinking up a Nats blog and totally gets off on it.Gonat said: "Have some respect". Gonat, he could care less.

14. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

oh man, what a child you are less whatever… go to bed. this is an awesome site and yes, i am new (as i think you are but could be wrong) but have some respect. we don't need you to read play by play of the O's or any other game. You may, MAY have some insight if you are a real baseball fan but you are not showing that to be true…enough of the hate.

15. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Mark gets rid of a few trolls and this guy pops up. What a shame.

16. tayo - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

For those who regularly watch prospects. Thoughts on Billy Burns and Steven Souza? Big league futures? they both have great stats this year and also did last year.

17. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

There has not been one post about the actual Nats in a while. So how about Desi these days??? How many rehab assignments do you think Bryce will do? Nice series, right??

18. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM

No Os updates after 8:56. Well done all!

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Swami/JaneB – I'm with ya…But in other Nats news – I wonder who gets sent down when SS comes back…. I keep forgetting that Mattheus is on the DL… Seems like the BP is coming together… Also wondering about C Garcia….

20. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Who is going down when SS starts on Sunday?

21. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Do you think Desi has a chance at the all star game this year? Lots of good shirt stops. Tulo was on the DL last year I think. Desi is putting up gaudy numbers and Davey is a coach.

22. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Sjm- I thought it would be Cedeno today, probably him for sure. You think?

23. dcvelobrew - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Tayo, I am also wondering about Souza. I was checking out his stats on the Harrisburg site and he is actually hitting better than even Rendon was during his time there, and Rendon was dominating the league. It certainly seems like he could get a cup of coffee in September if he can keep up the pace for the rest of the season. Taylor Jordan is also just dominating and it seems like he came completely out of nowhere.

24. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Swami, since he actually didn't get to play last year I think it would be a nice reward and he deserves it as well. I don't think Davey as coach makes much of a difference in choosing him.

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Jinx – SJM! HahahahahahahahI actually think the Nats are lucky to be where they are right now in the grand scheme of things…Also was thinking earlier – I doubt Cedeno goes back down becuz DJ alluded to not wanting to over use Abad….

26. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Well it will, because so many of those chosen turn it down and then the coaches pick replacements.

27. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Swami – my choice as well and it appears I owe mrs. B an imaginary beverage

28. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Cedeno would seem the one to go down. That leaves Abad and Krol as the lefties in the pen.

29. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

UnkyD said… Swami at 9:09… I'm in!!Me too.

30. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Perry raises his ERA back to 7.93

31. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I don't know enough about the all star selection process to know if/how Desi could get in… I don't have the sense he's popular enough to win a popular vote, but if he keeps it up there would be a good argument for him making it…

32. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

No way Desmond turns it down if he is asked

33. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Eric, Desi won't win the popular vote and Tulo and Segura look 1 and 2. Desi looks #3.

34. SCNatsFan - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM

All the good news from the farm makes me smile. Good to see the young arms dealing, if worst comes they are trade chips.

35. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM

dcvelobrew…agree re. Souza, read a real nice article on him in the Harrisburg paper, kind of turned his life around after a dust-up with the coach in A…good speed and now a good attitude…would expect him to be called up in September, maybe.

36. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM

The reason Desi turned down the All Star invite last year was because he had that injured oblique.

37. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Last year, Desi was a Manager's Selection. That could happen again.

38. dcvelobrew - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Taylor Jordan has 10 strikeouts in 8 innings so far tonight. Anybody know what kind of stuff this guy has?

39. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

40. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Go at, I understand why Desi did not play and if I remember, he was in the dugout for the game. Still, what a thrill to actually play and I can see them taking 3ss 's.

41. tayo - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Yeah, and Souza seems like he has been around forever in our organization but he is still only 24. He keeps this up, I think he competes with Goodwin(who has been struggling a bit to adjust to AA so far) for potential cf of the future. No?

42. Joe Seamhead - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Maybe they'll cut Chad.

43. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM

In think Desi could be a manager selection again. A lot of guys turn it down because they are dinged up . Tulo might turn it down because he has been dealing with a rib issue. Some of them quite frankly just want to rest and they make something up. Do you really want Bryce out there? Jordan would be ok- he can handle it. With Davey being a coach, I think Bochy would choose him. They have discretion to fill out their teams.

44. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:47 AM

David, with Davey as an All Star coach for Bochy, hopefully he has a say. Right now it's Jordan Zimmermann and maybe Strasburg with Bryce Harper on the popular vote. Desi after today is right back in the discussion and Bochy's own guy Brandon Crawford is nipping at Desi's heals. If you go by OPS, Desi is 3rd.

45. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Tulo going on the DL after breaking a rib.

46. dcvelobrew - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Thanks, Paul. I sort of remember that Souza was suspended for using some sort of banned substance a few years ago, but I could be wrong about that. Good to hear he seems to have grown up a bit since then. Now that all the big names have sort of made their way up to the big leagues, it is interesting to see who else may be contributing in the next few months/years.

47. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I think the Chad Tracy issue is a tricky one. Not yet? They give it more time? All the defensive positions are covered for an emergency now. If Marrero shows pop? If Tyler finds his power? Don't know what they will do. Msybe he will heat up and they won't have to do anything.

48. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:51 AM

sjm308 said… On another note, ever since Candide used the negative lock on how few walks we would have, I think our lads have 12 in the last two games. Props once again to One of our resident scholars!Thanks – I forgot to crow over that! What was it I set the over/under for the doubleheader at – 3?Shoulda done Espi a favor and predicted some ungodly number of strikeouts his last series. He'd probably have been the NL Player of the Week.I DID predict we won't see Strasburg again until the end of June.I really like this business of oppositely predicting something…

49. Get Some Players - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM

50. Gonat - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM

David Proctor said… Tulo going on the DL after breaking a rib. June 13, 2013 9:48 PM _____________________________How long is that recovery time? Maybe he won't be in the All Star game now.

51. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:56 AM

take my last post back. only the team WHIP, not ERA.anyways, another epic 18 inning game. well played guys.

52. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Shame about Tulo. I'd feel a lot worse about it, though, if we'd had our Opening Day lineup even once since April 15. Those rib injuries really stink – they don't really hurt all that much unless you breathe hard.

53. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM

dcvelobrew here it is if interested re. souza article.http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/lifestyle_change_paying_divide.html

54. Drew - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM

The 10 strikeouts for Taylor Jordan were a career high. The 8 innings matched the longest outing of his career.The Richmond Braves' radio announcers had an interesting take. They said it's unusual for a club to let one of its pitching prospects go 8 innings and exceed 100 pitches at this level.They surmised that the Nats brass is taking a close look at Jordan and wants to stretch him out and see how he handles fatigue later in the game. He did quite well. His fastball still hit 92 in the 8th, though he was tiring.He wound up allowing four hits with just one walk and lowered his Harrisburg ERA to 0.68.The Braves' announcers praised Jordan as a very good pitching prospect and said the Nats have an embarrassment of riches on the mound.Jordan is built sorta like A.J. Cole. He's a tad shorter at 6'3, but he's listed at 190. These guys are a bit more reedy than some of the big-boy pitchers they've drafted of late.

55. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Hello from beautiful CO. This was our first in-person game at Coors Field and it was a good one. My husband, Chicago/Denver baseball buddy, and I had a good time. I even untucked (it's okay – the only COL fans near us were in front of us at that point, as we'd climbed above the mile high seats to get out of the rain). Lovely park, and everyone was very friendly. Caught most of last night's game on the radio (we spent the day in Rockie Mountains National Park). Their radio guys were, eh, okay.Speaking of broadcasters, as one of ours is known to say: seee youu laater!

56. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 AM

57. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 AM

58. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Oops, didn't think those were getting through.

59. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Care to share?

60. Joe Seamhead - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Cliff Lee has a 1 hit shutout after 6 innings. Get this: With 11 hits, the Phillies only lead 1-0.

61. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM

natsfan1a what happened at 10:03 and 10:03? you still un-tucking…on the keyboard?

62. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM

The computer hung up and I hit refresh. Oops. :-)

63. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:10 AM

The people want to know??

64. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Stuff like that happens to me all the time!

65. Drew - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Hey 1A:Glad you're enjoying your visit. I thought Coors Field was a beautiful yard.My wife and I found Rocky Mountain National Park unforgettable, but I'm glad she suggested we spring for the tour bus rather than driving up there ourselves in the rental car.At 11,000 feet the lack of guardrails was a bit disconcerting.

66. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM

"Tulo broke a rib today. Facing DL list per Twitter."That's a bummer…

67. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

swami, exactly…like who may be un-tucking who and where and why was the re-fresh button hit!…we need info…like the little kid on the at&t commercial say…"we want more, we want more!"

68. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

69. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Untuck baby! Just finished watching the game on DVR. Very nice win. Now to read over 500 comments. Maybe.

70. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

71. sjm308 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Very proud of this group for you know what!Go Nats!

72. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM

les, move on, i hope there is a pillow near by. once found, fall on it.

73. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Jealous of you being in the mountains, 1a. Haven't been in remotely big mountains in almost 2 years, but going to Glacier this summer… Can't wait!Glad you got some good games out there!

74. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

75. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

76. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM

eric, off topic but hampton in jeeezz i think 85 or 86 was phenomenal…if i missed it by a year don't hate…what a great venue for them.

77. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

78. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Used to live in the Pacific Northwest — miss the mountains. Speaking of the high number of comments– it was fine today, but we are going to see more posts because of the WaPo paywall. Most of the new posters are just regular Nats fans, watching the game , sweating it out. I am usually alone when I watch and so I enjoy reacting with other fans during the game. We did win today – and score runs, so it was generally happy.

79. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

80. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM

kudos to mark & company for doing this so often & how embarrassing they have to do it so often:This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I just rewatched the game… Wow… Great win…. I can go to bed happy again tonight…My man-friend hates when the Nats lose as I have a major attitude and incessantly talk about the game….

82. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM

That's not true. Usually he strikes out swinging with the bases loaded.Late to the party, but that's not quite true. That happens if the pitch is high and out of the strike zone. If it's in the strike zone, he strikes out looking.

83. Drew - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Tulo's injury is a shame for baseball fans. He's a marvelous player.Oddly enough, Ian Desmond hit the grounder that Tulo dived for, causing the injury.Ian might take his spot in the All-Star Game.

84. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 AM

paul, I didn't get into them until after they were banned from Hampton… Awesome you got to see them there!

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 AM

The WaPo pay wall isn't something to really fear… They give you 20 articles a month free… If one were to just come on for the live threads, they could get away with it…But then I again, I get the WaPo paper, so its not an issue for me..But I like this community here… I used to post here occasionally but I really like Mark's writing…

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Dang for Tulo… That sucks… He is an awesome SS….

87. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Mrs B- I have a similar social problem. My co- workers often avoid eye contact in the morning. I always DVR games so I can go back and watch good parts over again when the stress is gone. Today the game was over early enough that there was time to wind down. The Rockies fans must be distraught at losing three players though. I know how we feel when a guy goes down.

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I think Marks site is having technical difficulties.

89. Eric - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM

"Used to live in the Pacific Northwest — miss the mountains."The trek two years ago was in the Cascades… It's beautiful out there!

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Swami – yeah its bad… I'll be in Chicago this weekend and I plan to follow all the games via gameday but I'm going to record them as well and watch them when I get back…I can count on my hands the number of Nats games ice missed…. I don't miss many…

91. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Drew– Desi also hit the ball that hit Nicasio in Denver when he broke his neck.

92. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:41 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

93. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:43 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

94. Less Platu - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

95. baseballswami - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I really do feel for the Rockies fans today. Tough day. And their state is on fire.

96. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM

paul brandt said… kudos to mark & company for doing this so often & how embarrassing they have to do it so often: This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.Ditto.Thanks Mark, and administrators. The NI community is awesome — and is being protected by keeping the bad stuff out.Thanks — we really appreciate it.

97. SonnyG10 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Wonderful game today. Fun reading this blog after a lot of comments were removed by a blog administrator. Thanks Mark.I will wait until after the Rockies come to Nats Park before I will feel sorry for the Rockie fans. Then I will have much sympathy for them.

98. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Is Roger OK? Was anything said in the postgame?

99. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I got home and couldn't post, I think Mark must have turned off posting while he went on his TV show. Very sorry that was necessary! Please, no matter how much we disagree, let's keep it friendly.

100. skidge - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Feeling really good about the team today, and about the blog. (Glad to see that some of the earlier comments have been removed, as expected. Even as mostly a lurker, I get so much enjoyment and knowledge here, especially when I don't have to deal with that stuff.)

101. SonnyG10 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Amen, skidge!

102. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:03 AM

What they said.

103. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:05 AM

And remember, people…"plate discipline" means "don't feed the bears."

104. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:42 AM

And Cliff Lee wants to be traded.

105. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Minnesota Twins left fielder Josh Willingham entered play Thursday with the second-highest rate of pop-up frequency in the major leagues.Willingham's mark of 24.6 percent trailed only Atlanta's B.J. Upton in a stat that essentially boils down to percentage of infield fly balls as the numerator and total fly balls as the denominator.In other words, a quarter of Willingham's fly balls are caught on or inside the infield dirt.And while Willingham has always had a bit of a penchant for pop-ups — 13.0% career mark versus a 10.9% league average this year — he's almost doubled the 12.7% mark he posted last year when he set a career high in home runs (35).

106. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

paul brandt said… kudos to mark & company for doing this so often & how embarrassing they have to do it so often: This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.Let this be a lesson to everyone. While y'all were pitching a justified bitch here about the troll, I emailed Mark to let him know someone was crapping all over his blog (his address is at the top of the page under his photo).Mark replied with a very nice email thanking me for bringing it to his attention. And you see the results.So we're all done with troll feeding, right?

107. MicheleS - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Good Morning ALL! Well apparantly it was an eventful evening. Mark thanks for monitoring the site. Have the Show DVR'd so I will watch later today!As with NatsLady, have we heard anything about the Shark?? That shoulder didn't look good.Mom's in town for the degenerate nephew's graduation (YES WE GOT HIM OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL), so I hope to be catching game updates on MLB.com or I might be sneaking a small radio around with me.Good to see Ryan and Desi keep up with the hitting. I hope Desi gets the manager's pick for the ASG.. he was selected last year, but didn't even go to the game. Plus NY is so close and i think we play at home right after the ASG.Very excited to see/hear the games this weekend and CLE. I think we have a good chance for 2/3 and take yet another series.Can't believe that LannAn is pitching on Monday.Stay Positive People! and Enjoy some good games!

108. waddu eye no - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

mark z-man u da best. hope last night didn't lead you from appendicitis to an ulcer. gyfng!(&gyfnig, 2)

109. natsfan1a - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Drew, my husband drove up to the summit but it wasn't his first mountain-driving rodeo (getting into the local lingo here). Before the game, we visited the baseball museum near the park. The guy working there was a Nats fan who had recently relocated to Denver, and we had fun talking about RFK and Nats Park experiences with him. I highly recommend the museum, btw.We also visited the Pacific Mercantile Company before the game. It's an Asian grocery/sundries store. I was looking for a certain type of cookie as well as a maneki neko or two (lucky/beckoning cat). We found and purchased both the cookies and maneki neko. As we were checking out, the older gent behind the counter noticed our Nats gear and asked if we were going to the game. We said yes. He said, "You're going to win today." I was like, "I don't know. Our starter just came off the DL." He replied, "Doesn't matter. You're going to win." I'm like, "Well, your offense is pretty good." Him: "Doesn't matter. You're going to win." Well, grocery store dude-guy, you were right. And thank you. :-)