Game 66: Nats at Indians

Jun 14, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Don't look now, but the Nationals have won back-to-back series for the first time since early-May (when they beat the Pirates and Tigers in succession). If they're going to claw their way back into the thick of the NL East race, this is how they have to do it, taking 2 of 3 from as many upcoming opponents as they can, and they were able to do it in the last week against the Twins and Rockies.

Tonight, the Nationals open a new series in Cleveland, against an Indians club also hovering around the .500 mark. Davey Johnson will have (in theory) his three best starters on the mound: Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann and Stephen Strasburg. That's obviously a good thing.

Offensively, Davey is going with a couple of twists with tonight's lineup. Taking advantage of the DH in the AL park, Ryan Zimmerman gets a chance to bat four or five times without taking the field. Chad Tracy will be at third place. Steve Lombardozzi, meanwhile, is at second base, with Anthony Rendon getting the night off.

I'm not in Cleveland this weekend, but please continue the conversation here. And a special thanks to all of you who continue to do your part to keep the discourse intelligent and respectful…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CLEVELAND INDIANS
Where: Progressive Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 182
Weather: Clear, 64 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
LF Roger Bernadina
DH Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche

1. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

2. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Last chance for Tracy? I recall Matt Stairs getting successive starts at 1B in an AL park shortly before he was cut (and retired).

3. NI Watcher - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Completely baffling. Even taking into consideration that Tracy is a lefty against a RHP, you still have to assume that Rendon would outperform Tracy at bat as well as in the field.

4. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

District Sports Nats ‏@NationalsDSP 11mMasterson v RHB: .190/.271/.254. Masterson v LHB: .242/.332/.368. Davey going platoon spilt crazy tonight. #NatsThat explains it.

5. -Dan- - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Here's how the Cleveland Indians enter this series with the Nats:Record: 32-33 (18-12 at home, 3-8 in June, 5-3 in interleague play)Current Indians are batting .284 against Gio Gonzalez (21/74), with Swisher (6/15, 1 HR), Bourn (4/10) and Raburn (6-11, 2 HRs) all hitting over .400 against him.Just 5 Nats had some ABs against Justin Masterson:Span 7/28 with a homerSuzuki 2/11 with a homerTracy 2/2 with a homerRZim 0/1JDub 0/3

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Will Desi see anything to hit with Tracy hitting behind him?

7. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

David Proctor said… This lineup is baffling to me. I understand wanting to DH Zimmerman. But why do you not play Rendon at 3B and Lombo at 2B if you want to do that? Why Chad Tracy? WHY CHAD F'N TRACY???? +1 Tracy is the only guy we have at 3B who is a worse 3B (right now) than Zimmerman (sorry Zimmerman, but yiur not what you use to be).

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

From the discussion in the last thread, here's what Cot's Baseball Contracts has on Suzuki (emphasis added):Kurt Suzuki c4 years/$16.25M (2010-13), plus 2014 option4 years/$16.25M (2010-13), plus 2014 option signed extension with Oakland 7/23/10, replacing 1 year/$0.42M deal signed 3/8/10$0.15M signing bonus10:$0.6M, 11:$3.4M, 12:$5M, 13:$6.45M, 14:$8.5M club option ($0.65M buyout)2014 option guaranteed at $9.25M with 113 starts in 2013

9. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I posted this 100 deep in the last last post, but $5 tickets for the next two series are here:http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ticketing/5series.jsp

10. Ishmael - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Masterson has always had a big L/R split, so that explains starting Tracy. As far as not putting Rendon at 3B, I assume they want him to work just at 2B for now and not have him move back and forth.Tomorrow, against Kazmir, I expect Rendon to be back at 2B, with Marrero at DH. At least that's what I hope.

11. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… 2014 option guaranteed at $9.25M with 113 starts in 2013 Me: Time to start resting Kurt more, you just can't let that guarantee kick in.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

So Bernadina is fine.

13. Exposremains - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I see only three reasons for this line up madnessRendon is hurtLast chance for Tracy ala stairsDj has lost his mindVery odd to change a winning combination when u need wins. I hate this lineup . I dont care about matchups, tracy is done

14. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Here are my thoughts.(1) Masterson is the best of their pitchers, and the game we were most likely to lose. However, he has a pretty big platoon split, given that his is a starter. Righties are only hitting .190/.271/.254 against him, whereas lefties .242 /.332/.368(2) Tracy will not disgrace himself at 3B. He made a couple of excellent defensive plays there this year and 3B is his regular position.(3) It's good to see Roger starting, I take that to mean his shoulder/collarbone are OK. Rendon can pinch hit, it's not the end of the world.

15. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Why in the unholy hell is Chad Tracy in the Line up….

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Is tonight the night Chad Tracy gets a RBI

17. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Tracy catches what he can get to, but his range is limited to a step each way. Worse range of any of the guys on this team that play 3B.

18. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Is tonight the night Chad Tracy gets a RBIAnswer: No

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

GoSM – no….

20. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Failing Harper, Davey has his best outfield defensively for Gio. We don't think Lombo is hopeless at 2B, right? Nor is Tracy. It remains to be seen if it will work, but I don't think it's crazy. If Tracy goes 0 for 4 and makes an error under these circumstances–which are the best possible for him–then it's the end of the line for him, and it's best to know that now. If he performs, then maybe we win the game.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sec3,.you lost me on the math. How does $8.5 become $9.25 million?

22. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Tcostant, I agree Tracy's range is limited, but actually, Zim's is too, I'm afraid to say. All too often he lays out for a ball that he doesn't get. Fortunately, Desi's range is excellent, and he'll just have to cope. Tracy won't throw the ball away, so there's that.

23. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM

>>>If Tracy goes 0 for 4…No "if" is required here.

24. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Giving Tracy a start isn't the end of the world. At least he can fire the ball on target across the diamond. And I don't have a problem with resting Rendon for a night. I just kind of wish that Davey didn't decide to do both things on the same night. If Tracy goes 0-4 tonight, please don't start him tomorrow, ok Davey?Also, to be fair, I wanted to repost this from the end of the previous thread. Maybe Feel was right. The comments on this story are pretty interesting. People thought a whole lot of Zuki back in July 2010.

25. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

And if the objective is to use as many lefties as possible, this is yet another indictment against Rizzo over the quality of the left handed bats on the roster.

26. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Kurt has been in 47 of the 65 games so far, and started most of those, IIRC. This option vests if he starts 66 of the next 97, which means that if Ramos doesn't make it back, and nobody gets traded, it's a given. I can't see Davey starting Solano a third of the time during a pennant race.

27. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I'm going with the reverse lock, and say Tracy has a good day at the plate. Just cuz.

28. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ghost, it's not my math. Cut and pasted from Cot's. I assume that's how the K reads.

29. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone that we are almost at the one year anniversary of what MLB originally said was the drop deal date for a MASN dispute resolution. Selig was on record as saying that he wants a resolution before the 2012 All-Star game. It seems the panel of Selig advisors advised the best resolution was to sell MASN to someone like Fox Sports, and get both the O’s and Nationals some vig, while also getting market based broadcasting fees. Once the O’s owner (I won’t say his name) balked, the opportunity was lost. Now we’re in limbo and the Nationals make thirty something million a year instead of the hundred million they deserve.Will this be resolved before Selig leave office?http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/05/16/bud-selig-involved-in-masn-dispute-talks-still-no-resolution-in-sight/http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/bud-selig-says-nationals-orioles-remains-in-very-intense-discussion-over-masn-contract/2012/07/10/gJQAzxpyaW_blog.html

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Okay… I'm over the line up… Here is to C Tracy having a 2/4 night….I get the L vs R thing…. Maybe DJ wanted to give Lombo an opportunity and Rendon a rest…Glad to see Roger in the line up as I am going to assume his shoulder is okay… Maybe it was just a stinger…Nats – 4Them – 1

31. Steamer - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm going out on a limb Tracy gets a R.B.I tonight

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone that we are almost at the one year anniversary of what MLB originally said was the drop-dead date for a MASN dispute resolution.Thanks, TCos, for the reminder, good point. I'm guessing this takes at least that long.

33. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

PChuck, we would have a great LH bat if Harper were here. I don't thnk that's a fair criticism, since you have ALR (a quality LH bat) and Span (adequate), plus Bernadina and Lombo (sw) off the bench.

34. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I'm going out on a limb and will say Kobernus will pinch-run for Tracy at some point . :)

35. bowdenball - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I hate seeing a lineup with Tracy and without Rendon too, but I guess it kind of makes some sense to do it now if you're gonna do it at all. There's the splits of course, and also the fact that Rendon has probably never been on a road trip like this in his entire life. In college and the minor leagues they don't play nine straight games in three different cities thousands of miles apart like the Nats are doing here. Kid can probably use a break, might as well do it now so he's fresh for the weekend and the visit to a division rival after that.

36. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

37. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

WowNo comment other than, "Wow."

38. Unknown - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Davey currently has two live bats, Desmond and Rendon, and he removes one from the lineup. Dumb! Does he really expect that "Matt Stairs" at 3rd base is going to be a positive?

39. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

NatsLady, you should never be in the position where one of your left handed bats is Chad Tracy.That's Rizzo.

40. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Make sure everyone reads Washington Examiner's Thom Loverro last article which Mark retweeded above. It will make you laugh, smile and almost cry:http://washingtonexaminer.com/thom-loverro-a-longtime-newspaperman-reaches-end-of-the-journey/article/2531864

41. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

42. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Too funny. A number of reasons, up top, were given for Tracy starting. Then, a number of "why Tracy?" posts.Hint — read some of the messages.BTW, here's another answer: perhaps a start or two can "get him going".In fact, the last time some of the NI commenters went ballistic with "why is _he_ starting" they were referring to the Shark, who promptly got on base 4 times that game.BTW, I also agree with the Matt Stairs analogy. I've also been thinking that Tracy has until around the ASB, and will either improve or get cut. Note: earlier I made a similar prediction with Espi – I had said: he either improves by the fist half of June or, sometime between June 1 and 15th, he gets sent down. So, too, I suspect, with Tracy around ASB time.

43. Drew - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I get the lefty-righty split and Masterson is a tough pitcher who is having his best season.That said, with Harper out, I hate having Rendon's bat out of the lineup.Below Desmond, this lineup sure looks suspect.

44. bowdenball - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder TCostant. We can't talk about it enough. I hate to say it, but you cannot be a fan of the Orioles and call yourself a DC sports fan. DC sports have no greater enemy than Peter Angelos and his Orioles. For years the succeeded at keeping us from having baseball at all. What is worse for DC sports than fighting against DC having a sports team? Then he agreed only when Selig gave him a sweetheart TV deal that negatively affects the Nats' ability to compete for free agents for decades to come. A few obnoxious Phillies fans pale on comparison to that kind of sleaziness.

45. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

his loyalty is to the 'the club' — not the ball club, mind you, but the club that was (and is) that composed of MLB team owners.Ughh. You may be right, but I hate that.The first thing I thought of when you wrote that was Jay Vincent — a baseball commissioner that put the game of baseball first, not the owners. He even said, flat out: "The Union basically doesn’t trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig."So, what happened? He got fired after around 3 years. And Selig replaced him.

46. Ken - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

With Strasburg coming off the DL for Sunday's game, the Nats will have to send a player down or cut someone loose, my guess is if they choose to send someone down, that they'll choose Xavier Cedeno, "unless" Tracy bombs today and tomorrow. In which case, he's a strong candidate to DFA'd.If, by some miracle he's still with the team when Bryce returns next week, Tracy has to be cut. If he's still there after Bryce comes back, it's time to start screaming for Davey's head, because his "need" for a "veteran presence" is hurting the team, and he more than anyone should know that the team comes before egos, including his own.IMO, the only thing that will save Tracy, is if he very quickly gets hot and stays that way. Frankly, I don't see that happening. His glory days with the Nats came last year. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

47. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Eugene in Oregon said… Tcostant @ 4:05 = most significant post of the day, regardless of what happens in Cleveland. I've recently been rereading Daniel Okrent's '9 Innings' and the portrait he paints of a youngish (1982 season) Bud Selig — then the managing partner of the Brewers' ownership group — is quite telling, particularly in retrospect. Despite getting jerked around by the MLB owners in the period between the Braves departure and his group's acquisition of the Pilots, his loyalty is to the 'the club' — not the ball club, mind you, but the club that was (and is) that composed of MLB team owners. And while the Lerners are now a part of that club, I've got to believe Mr. Selig still wants to avoid offending a more senior owner (Peter Angelos) or doing anything that could lead Mr. Angelos to sue MLB and risk the various benefits the owners enjoy. Me: No doubt you’re correct. Selig has always been viewed as a consonance builder; basically he wants all his ducks in a row before he does anything.

48. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

bowdenball — I'm with you on that.When Angelos started trying to stop baseball from coming to DC, I sorta swore that I would never set foot in Ori-hole stadium again.I got nothing against the team. I loved following them in the early 1980's. I look forward to rooting for them when there is different ownership. But until then . . . phooey.(I might bend the rule if the Nats are playing in a World Series game over there)

49. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Wonk: Exactly. With the exception of Judge Landis, the owners have never allowed a commissioner to gain any independent power or really even exercise his own judgment. Even Bowie Kuhn was stripped of his labor-relations authority in the later years of his term (second term?) when he applied the 'best interests of baseball' clause to prevent the owners from locking-out the players in 1976. For all the talk of the commissioner being the commissioner of 'all baseball' — players, owners, and fans — he's an employee of the owners. Period. Mr. Selig has survived because, as an owner himself, he understands that better than any other commissioner has.

50. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

As a result of being Pirates fan in the 70s, I've thankfully never had any interest in the O's. After moving to DC, I went to games at ol' Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards a few times a year but not once since 2005. Haven't missed it at all.

51. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sec. 3, just one question:Cheech Wizard?You planning on kicking someone in the nuts?

52. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

(Okay, that's two questions…)

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Candide, go to the profile and click the links. I think you'll enjoy them.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Particularly the My Web Page–which I remembered and dug up (so to speak) online, in honor of what's-his-name. But decided not to post here. Too obscure.

55. Caps Fan - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

56. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 14sDavey: Bryce Harper still resting knee. Likely be evaluated while Nats in Philly. If goes well, hopeful following week. Needs rehab games.So that would make the 24th the earliest return date.

57. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Caps Fan said… Rendon is still in the process of learning how to play second base. Don't expect to see him getting spot starts or even playing time at third base any time soon.Lombo's played third before, hasn't he?Hell's bells, even if he hasn't what's the worst he could do over there? Kick a ball or two? For that, you're taking Rendon out?Desi: "Thanks a lot, skip. There goes my 15-game hitting streak."And just watch: Gio's curve will be falling off a cliff tonight. He'll have seven Ks by the fourth inning, and Tracy will be standing over at third wondering if anything is gonna get hit near him. "Well, when the pitcher comes up, he'll probably bunt and… oh, crap, it's the AL…"Prediction: Nats lose 3-2 as Desi gets an IBB and Tracy strikes out with two outs and Zimm and Werth in scoring position in the top of the ninth.(Reverse lock? Moi?)

58. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I'm not expecting to see Rendon at 3B because Ryan Zimmerman has that job. But I seriously doubt playing a few innings there in a pinch will hurt his development at 2B. Lombo plays different positions. So did Espi. Davey will use Rendon at 3B if he needs to. And once Tracy is cut, hopefully soon, he'll be the best backup option we've got at that position. You would think Rendon's performance so far has proved that he doesn't need to be babied in the field.

59. capitalbeltwaysportsblog.com - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I'm having a very hard time understanding why Rendon is sitting tonight. Especially when he has an 8 game hitting streak. Maybe Tracy can have a breakout game against an AL team like Cleveland. Gio is a great guy to start tonight. He is rested and will be fired up on the mound. Hopefully that emotion will spill over to the other guys so they can keep this road trip moving in the right direction.

60. Mr Baseball - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Why not Rendon on 3b and Tracy at 1b? It might do LaRoche good to have a day off and be ready to PH. Rendon is only 22 and doesn't need a day off at this stage of his career.

61. NCNatsie - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My guess is Tracy will get a hit tonight, convincing Davy to keep him for a while yet. It's sort of like a sucker bet, Dontcha think?

62. Section 135 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Davey's just breaking us in for Danny's eventual return. He has seriously lost any mojo he had last year. What worked last year was forgoing veterans like Nady for Bryce Lombok and Moore. Now he's Jim Riggleman. I for one won't miss Davey next year.

63. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM

In four career outings [at Progressive Field], from 2009-11 with the A's, [Gonzales] is 4-0 with a 0.68 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings.

64. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

DJ said*Give Zimm a breather*Gives Tracy a chance to not just DH and think about hitting*Gives Rendon a rest against a nasty right hander… And also gives Lombo a chance to play…

65. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Those of you who like history might enjoy this. The William Bray mentioned is the ancestor of our own Bill Bray. What is his status, by the way?Early Baseball 1749 stylehttp://sabr.org/latest/new-discovery-sabr-member-david-block-confirms-baseball-was-played-royalty-england-1700s

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

When was the last time Span has hit to the opposite side… Seems like he pulls everything to the 1st basemen lately…

67. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Sheesh, how do you hit that? If that's a strike–!

68. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

69. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Danny E facing another lefty in Syracuse tonite and strikes out swinging on a change up low and away.And in other news, water is wet…

70. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Masterson has nasty stuff.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Terrible….

72. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I can forgive the other strikeouts, but Tracy strikes out on a ball near his eyes. Really?

73. Clip&Store - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

offense sure is looking great tonight

74. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Masterson has some real filthy movement and he is a NFL linebacker at 6'5 250…Tracy looked silly.

75. Rabbit34 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I have to say it too. Why Tracy?@?@?@!!!! Why is Rendon not in the lineup!!!???!??! WHY WHY WHY!!!??? No wonder there is so much frustration here!!!!!!!! Have the coaches and Johnson short circuited? Again!?

76. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Gio looking impressive too. Shadows making it hard for batters per FP.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Both pitchers working fast…

78. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Good job Zuke. If you can't hit, at least walk.

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I don't like the DH… But good hit/at bat Lombo…

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Great bunt by Span….

81. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Why do people get so upset when someone who obviously is next in line to get dfa"d is given a chance to prove he shouldn't? Rendon coming off the bemch seems like a better situation in a dh game then Tracy.

82. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I don't really like the bunt there. I understand why Davey did it, but I don't like giving away an out against a guy who can easily strike out the next two.

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Great at bat by Roger…. Aight Ryan…. Score at least 2…. Lets do this!

84. phil dunton - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Davey Johnson's biggest weakness is his stubborn penchant for sticking with losers when there is no hope that these individuals have any chance to ever contribute in a positive way. Four examples that immediately come to mind are Henry Rodriguez, Danny Espinosa, Chad Tracy and the hitting coach, Eckstein. Good managers are flexible while Davey is painfully stubborn. This flaw has caused several unnecessary losses over the past two years. I suspect Rizzo has the same flaw, which is why he puts up with Davey.

85. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Why do people get so upset when someone who obviously is next in line to get dfa"d is given a chance to prove he shouldn't? Because we'd like to give the team a chance to win?

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM

We were due for a WP…. Nice…. We'll take it!

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

NatsJack – is Tracy next in line to get DFA'd….

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I wish we could have scored at least 2 there…. Not sure I like this blue or his SZ….

89. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

…and that's our offensive explosion for the next four innings…

90. phil dunton - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Tracy isn't going anywhere because he has a guaranteed contract for the season and Rizzo doesn't like to eat guaranteed contracts no matter how small the amount.

91. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Phil, ego and cash, I feel the same way on the golf course.

92. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yikes at that AB by Werth.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I get so disgusted by Chad Tracy…. He was another one I wanted to let go last year….

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Hanging Chad….

95. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Didn't bother Rizzo with dumping Zach Duke.

96. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Love it. Medlin and the Braves down 2-0.And Espinosa is coming up for his 2nd AB.

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Was Duke at league minimum?

98. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Danny grounds into a 5-4 fielders choice beating the throw on a dp ball to third.

99. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Not sure, Ghost.

100. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Duke was making 1 mil, the same amount that Tracy is.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That sucked…

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Great effort by Ian….

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Wow NatsJack… You got me beat… I'm just sitting here watching the game and packing…. #greatmultitasker

105. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM

And the Giamnts score again.on a ball poorly played by BJ-Up. 3-0 Giants.

106. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM

NatsJack, impressive you must be single or have the coolest wife of all time.

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Okay… roger, Materson just walked Span and then you go and swing at the first pitch….Ugh….

108. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… I've got the Braves/Giants on the laptop, the Nats on the big screen, the Dodgers/Pirates on the tower and the Chiefs where Tyler Moore just hit a wall scraper home run to left on my tablet.I feel inadequate…

109. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Rizzo won't hesitate to cut Tracy when he's ready. He ate Lidge's contract, and Stairs's. He just has a little more patience than we do, and that's probably a good thing.I didn't catch the whole thing, but Davey's pre-game interview on MASN seemed to give more hope for Espi's return than I'd like to hear. I sure hope he gets at least one hit in the minors before they bring him back….

110. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

By the way, Tyler is playing first in Syracuse.

111. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Espi got a hit last nite.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We've left 5 on base….

113. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Espi got a hit last nite.Bring him up – he's ready!

114. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

And the Pirates are up 2-0 over Evil Empire West.

115. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

More importantly, he's struck out in 2 of his 4 at bats so he really is in perfect form.

116. sec205 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Not a good ab by zim

117. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Zim is fine, Masterson gets paid too and he's a heck of a pitcher. Gio is doing the same to them (so far)…good pitchers duel.

118. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Gio has the great curve working tonite.

119. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Masterson's pitch count is up. Keep working him. I don't think the Indians bullpen is great.

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Aight… Lets go Nats! Lets get some hits and runs!

121. Adam - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And a strikeout.

122. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Me at 5:24: Candide said… And just watch: Gio's curve will be falling off a cliff tonight. He'll have seven Ks by the fourth inning…Here it is at the end of five and Gio has 7 Ks.I wish I was that smart every day.

123. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Yeahhhhh… Zimm looked at 2 fat ones straight down the plate and then decided to swing at ball 4….

124. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Danny Espinosa coming up for his third at bat.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM

How's about Werth's ABs lately.

126. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Grounds out to short making him 1-5 with 2 k's in his rehab.Heck….his hitting .200 for the first time in a long time.

127. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

And then there's my 7:45:Candide said… …and that's our offensive explosion for the next four innings…Dang, I'm hotter than Kristina Akra in a Gatorade bath.

128. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Mr Werth is in a little funk… Wonder if that wrist is right…

129. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Masterson is at 101 after 6…how log does this guy usually go? 10k's!

130. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Well he's over 100 pitches.

131. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Yes. He's at 101. One good inning of smart ab's and the Nats can get to their bull pen.

132. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Gio's curve is almost as nasty as Mastersons sinker.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I thought that was a K….

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I actually thought Zook should have gone to talk to Gio after the first walk… Calm him down as he was obviously upset…

135. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Giants 3-0 and Baumgartner is perfect after 5.

136. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Wow…. My issue is that Masterson has gotten that call tonight….

137. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Out of nowhere, Gio loses his command. Seen this script before.

138. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

does not take long for Gio to melt down, just seems when he gets behind or doesn't get a call, he freaks, he won't get any borderline calls doing that.

139. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Come on Gio… Finish this!

140. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Dear god Gio, why do you do this to me?

141. waddu eye no - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

phew

142. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice, Gio. Next time try to do it without being such a drama queen.

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Way to go…. Gio has got to get a control on his emotion but the blue can't decide to call it for 1 and not the other….

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

*sigh*. Come on offense… Score 2 runs here, please….

145. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

…and blue wasn't squeezing him. Pitch track was endorsing the ump.

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

That was walking the tightrope.

147. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Zach Walters just hit his 14th home run to take the lead over the Mud Hens 5-4.

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Chad Tracy just disgusts me….

149. waddu eye no - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…I've got the Braves/Giants on the laptop, the Nats on the big screen, the Dodgers/Pirates on the tower and the Chiefs where Tyler Moore just hit a wall scraper home run to left on my tablet.are you sure you're not really that Finch guy from "person of interest?";-)

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Gotta tip the cap for Matterson…. He's got some nasty stuff….

151. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hopefully that is it for Masterson.

152. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I keep telling people I'm a baseball fan first and a Nats fan next.

153. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Masterson throws the nastiest power sinker in baseball. He's a polished Taylor Jordan.

154. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

man oh man, after a 30+ pitch inning by Gio, we flame out 1-2-3 on offense if you call it that, not good. Rendon, Kobernus, come on Davey mix it up, we have 2 hits!

155. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Surprised Gio is still in.

156. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Dang, I thought Gio may have been done…. I guess Davey says – Yeah, he got this….

157. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Davey probably wants Gio to get the win. Gio hasn't had a win forever. And Gio still look good so far.

158. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Gio has done a phenomenal job tonight… Hell Masters has too….Great pitchers dual….

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Puig just crashed into Eithier and the wall on a ball caught by Andre and camecaway grimacing. Both shoulder and knee looked to hit both hard but he stays in rhe game.

160. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Scary catch by Span. Almost dropped it.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Loud out… Span making my breath hitch….

162. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Has Tracy had a single chance at third tonight?Was wondering, because for all the offense he's provided, Davey might as well have penciled in my mother-in-law at third.Still thinking Lombo at third and Rendon at second would have made a lot more sense.

163. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I get upset C Tracy…. He is just a fail…

164. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I get upset thinking about Chad Tracy*

165. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Baumgartner just walked BJ with 2 outs in the 6th. Perfecto gone.

166. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…Baumgartner just walked BJ with 2 outs in the 6th. Perfecto gone.Of all the guys to walk.

167. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM

MrsB loves the Nats… Cunegonde was wondering if you're the same person who was posting here last season as The Future Mrs Roger Bernadina, "because what ever happened to her?"

168. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM

But Uggla K's looking so the no no is still good after 6.

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Yeah… That's me…

170. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Candide, re. Tracy, zippo chances, he is as invisible at bat as he is on the field but hey, he is consistent.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Standing O for Gio…. Great game! Now come on Offense! Do the right thing!

172. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

OK…let's put some men on base and SCORE!

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Yeah…l me and Roger got married during the offseason…. *snickers*But…. But…. But… I've having elicit thoughts about D Span… *snickers*

174. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Chad Tracy has a .131 batting average…. And why is he in the line up, again?????

175. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I was at the game when Gio threw the 1 hitter against the Reds back in April. He has been just as good tonite.

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

What a nice outing.

177. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Here's your guy, MrsB.

178. jeeves - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I get upset about the manager who keeps putting players like Tracey out there in the first place.

179. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Sigh…..

180. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Bloop lead off single for Johnson to lead off the 7th. No no over but Giants still up 4-0.

181. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I'm not comfy with T Clippard here…. But then again, I never am…Okay, so Adam LaRoche and Desi will hit hrs next time…. And we win 3-1….Book it.

182. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Going to the top of the 8th in Atlanta. Still 4-0.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I can't stand Clippard…

184. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Have I ever told you I HATE Tyler's penchent for 22 pitch innings?

185. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Clip can't find the strike zone.

186. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Correction. It's the top of the 7th in Atlanta.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

For all the good having C Tracy in the game, dJ should have PH for him with Rendon…And thank Tyler Clippard….

188. E - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Clip sucks.

189. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Clip can never find the SZ… His first 2 pitches are always balls… Up and high….I can not stand him….

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Please get a double play right here….

191. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Giants score again . 5-0 top of the 7th.

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Giants are doubling all over the field it seems….

193. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Nats offense is still in a deep funk…..two hits over 8 innings with 12 Ks. Thats pathetic. This is more that a slump, it's a fatal disease.

194. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Idk Phil… Masterson was kinda filthy tonight…

195. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Pirates score again to make it 3-0 over the used car salesman led Dodgers in the bottom of the 8th.

196. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Im done….

197. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Mrs B It seems like every pitcher, regardless of talent, is filthy again these hitless wonders. Even washed up Freddie Garcia of the Os shut out the Nationals on three hit and that may be the only game he has won all season.

198. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Hey, Clip–coulda done without the drama!

199. Drew - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Whew.

200. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Clip doesn't get double plays. Strikeouts and flyouts.

201. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

good golly!! why does clip do that in every close game and why didn't davey bring in a lefty to face the lefty?? i know it worked but it shouldn't have! reaching for the tums now.

202. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Time for Desi to extend the hitting streak with a game winning homer.

203. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Guys (and girls), we can still win this. Chill.

204. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

NatsLady said…Anyway, let's face it. The game depends on how well Gio pitches. If he is on, we are fine.June 14, 2013 4:12 PM———-I sure hope you're right.

205. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

NL – I tell ya… Davis and clip have more in common than their looks/the goggles….

206. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Just your typical 28 pitch shut down inning by T-Clip. At soon to be 66 years old, I can't take those.But I will.

207. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Phil – I agree to an extent…. I'm just saying, tonight, Masterson was philthy….

208. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Seamhead, I jinxed it. When it was 1-0. I thought, that may be all he needs. Then he gave up the HR…

209. jeffwx - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I'm just reading the 73 reds had 7 starters batting over .300 but the brewers team ba was under .200

210. do1teach1 - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM

If we lose this game, I think we need to blame Gio. He should KNOW that giving up one run per game is too many, considering our offense. Therefore he should be blamed.Kudos to Davey for sitting Rendon. Clearly the kid wasn't hot. Tracey, on the other hand, clearly represents the future of the franchise. Thanks again Davey.And great management with bases loaded and one out earlier for the Nats. We definitely didn't want to run a squeeze there. Thanks again Davey. Your hairy-chested guys hit lots of three-run homers this year.But mainly, we need to blame Gio for giving up one run tonight. Unforgivable. If your team doesn't score runs, pitch a shutout–DUH GIO!

211. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Masterson is a legitimately good pitcher. It's not like all those guys with 6 ERA's we let own us (see: Francis).

212. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM

So you taking the fall for this if it goes bad NatsLady?

213. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM

From my 5:54:Candide said… Desi: "Thanks a lot, skip. There goes my 15-game hitting streak."With Tracy batting behind him, that wasn't so much a prediction as simply stating the obvious.

214. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM

In contrast to two weeks ago, there's no one in the bullpen who I am afraid to see tonight. Still, and I know this is heresy, I'd pitch Soriano in this inning. There's more pressure and less margin for error in a tie game, possible walkoff situation than in a save situation.

215. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM

do1teach1 I think what is disappointing is that Zim (DH tonight) and Werth took 3rd strikes on there second at bats verse Masterson. That shows a lack of adjustment which is what is hurting this teams offense. My heart goes out to Gio. Also, Werth can not go 1 for 15. This game really should be 1-0 Indians, the only run scored was by Masterson's wild pitchAlso, Clip did a great job of getting out of the inning. My questions is, why is Davey not playing Storen? Too much pressure on Clip

216. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I hope we all can agree that Tracy's time in dC should be over, he just can not hit

217. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Are you serious????

218. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM

these are games Nats have to win

219. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Ugh.

220. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Gotta win 2/3. We have Zim and Stras going tomorrow and Sunday.

221. jeffwx - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Nice lineup davey.

222. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

That is terrible…. Just terrible….

223. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

umpires are just terrible, no excuse for missing that call, 3 feet out of baseline

224. do1teach1 - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM

225. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I am really questioning Davey as to why Tracy played tonight let alone why he is still on this team?

226. DJB - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM

227. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

228. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

FP was absolutely correct about the runner in the grass… Blue missed that, but we can't win with just 2 hits…. Gio was outstanding tonight….We will take the next 2…. Jet lag did us in…

229. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Tough call not to load the bases after the steal.

230. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM

well Braves will probably lose, down 6-0. thsi what is frustrating..Nats could have cut lead t 4 games and go 2 over…why can't this team hit. i get it on Masterson, the other pitchers, I do not

231. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Davey must have been napping in the dugout because he didn't argue the fact that the baserunner was clearly out of the base line, blocking Laroche's view of home plate. The umpires umpire like the Nats hit!!

232. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM

DJB said…Lineup was a complete bust. 2 hits is just unacceptable. Davey just doesn't get it.you know what… I hate to post this, but you may be unfortunately spot on

233. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM

It is actually comical to listen to these MASN guy try to put lipstick on a pig. They must take lessons in turd polishing.

234. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Chad Tracy will be DFA'd very soon.

235. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Joe, not funny.

236. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM

mick, agree on the baseline issue but no way they call that in the home park & also agree on tracy, get rid of him!!! time has come we missed rendon's bat for sure…wasted another gio outing.

237. Drew - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Free Anthony Rendon.

238. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Gio with yet another hard luck loss. 222, I would put Soriano in there, too, IF he hadn't just pitched two days in a row, and will probably be needed Sat or Sun. The blown call is bad, but I would prefer not to go to extras. My nightmare was an 18 inning game with no off-day until a week from Monday. Take our chances tomorrow, we got another good pitcher up and Davey won't use this lineup again, I sincerely hope. Tracy could have got that foul ball, RZ would have gotten it.

239. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Had LaRoche hit the runner coming down the line, it's a no brainer, the ump has to make the call.Without that, it ain't happening.

240. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Lord, I hope Tracy is gone off this team soon… He adds no value whatsoever…But tomorrow we will get them… I honestly believe that…

241. jeffwx - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

well Kasmir is hittable…gave up 4 runs in 6 ip his last 2 games. We didn't need much to win tonight but didn't stand a chance with that lineup.

242. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Nats had chances with men on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out.

243. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:06 AM

DP, I hope so. He's got to go when Stras is activated. It was me, I'd DFA him tonight and bring up diddle from the minors for a day.

244. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I feel bad for Gio, he did not deserve that line-up, I hope Davey has his apology ready.

245. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM

We should have scored at least 2 in the 3rd (?), when we had bases loaded…But again, tip of the cap to Masterson as he was on tonight…

246. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM

The Brewers are doing their best to lose a 3-3 game in Cincy.

247. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Well the Braves are losing, so we lose no ground. Would've been nice to gain a game, but at least this doesn't hurt us.

248. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Brain dead line-up by Davey. Chad Tracy has no business on a AAA field much less this field. Why would you sit you top player in terms of OBP so that Chad Tracy can make four automatic outs. His OBP+ is rapidly going to ZERO, below every single other player on the team according to baseball reference.

249. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

250. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM

ALR should have drilled him between the eyes! would have made for a much different blog that's for sure…since in Cleveland, they prob don't call it, but I sure hope Davey and company approach these umps tomorrow so we get a questionable call tomorrow.

251. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Well, hopefully, we will not see this line up ever again… I'm also wondering why Lombo was covering 2nd and missed the hit by Bourn…

252. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Of course, it hurts us. We blow a half game, but I guess I know what you mean. Bernadina and Lombo need to be only playing as defensive replacements. Tracy needs to be released. I would not be surprised if it is tomorrow. Tracy is embarrassing himself to an extent that I have never seen before in baseball.

253. BigCat - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM

As manassas and I have said for two years….. Eck gotta go. He should of left with rigs.

254. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Joe, his lateral movement isn't great. His bag work is exceptional. That play at the end was a good try. Are you going to comment towards me every time ALR makes a nice play. Save the typing. I like the guy.

255. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Going into tongith, Chad Tracy has 7 singles and 1 HR. He has 15 strike-outs versus 3 bases on balls. His OPS+ is 3, which is lowest on the team. He struck out at least twice tonight and had no hits. The guy is only 33 but he is done. Look at the holes that have been plugged. Henry is gone. Moore is gone. It is time to get rid of Tracy and only let Lombo and Bernadina come in in the late innings. We have good guys up from the minors now.

256. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Davey said Gio wasn't his best tonight…. Said the throw by Adam was a bad throw, didnt notice that Kipnis was out the lane…He sounds real salty tonight…

257. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Why is it that no one in the media ever asks Davey why he keeps playing Chad Tracy? We might as well just send up the batboy with a white flag and move on to the next hitter. Chad Tracy was basically our DH tonight while Rendon sat on the bench.

258. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I have been tracking Masterson in my Opening Day series. He is a very good pitcher–turning into a true Ace for them. Not saying Cy Young, but definitely up there. He has two complete game shutouts. We were lucky that he lost his command we got even the one run.

259. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Gio wasn't at his best? Well, Gio was pretty d@@@@ good, Davey. Get your butt out there and protest the bad call–did you even notice it until it was pointed out????

260. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Look. I'm not happy the Nats lost. And yes, I really have an issue with people that say "we" when talking about a team that they are fans of.But it was a terrific baseball game. That's enough for me.The Nats have to come back and win one tommorrow. Everything is as it should be. A grind.

261. jeffwx - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM

well…no need to blame the freaking offense davey2 freakin singles

262. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM

263. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I don't know if the fellows running the blog ever read the entries by fans, but it seems strange how they basically never raise any issues with management that are not Strasburg or Harper related. Chad Tracy could go on a killing spree in Cleveland tonight and be penciled in by Johnson and the Nats' media would ask about Harper and Strasburg.

264. jeffwx - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM

yep Masterson was masterful….Kasmir will be ko'd (1.71 whip, 5.33 era)

265. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Was at a wedding and reception so just catching up.Fire Eck has been my theme over 3 years.why was Tracy playing. Dies Tracy look at numbers

266. do1teach1 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I have to tip my cap to all the NI posters saying you have to tip your cap to "Christy" Masterson.He is 47-58 career with a 4.12 ERA.No team in baseball, much less in the history of baseball, was going to score 3 runs on Masterson tonight. He is the best pitcher who ever lived.

267. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Dealing with tender right elbow, @Brandon_Beachy’s return to @Braves will no longer come Tuesday: http://atmlb.com/11fjF0F

268. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I'm with you NatsLady. It's the chicken littles that drive me up a wall.

269. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM

NJ, good game I agree but one we should have won with the correct line-up, Tracy in there is just mind-numbing. I am starting to question Davey, he doesn't seem right. So he thought Rendon needed a rest after a few games in the bigs? Kid is 22…22! He doesn't need a break especially not for Chad Tracy!…ugggghhhh! am going to bed, we should have won this game, so frustrating.

270. DJB - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM

271. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM

And now I'm watching the Rockies/Phillies game. Man, I love baseball. 7-5 Colorado.

272. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:41 AM

DJB said…I really don't understand Davey. His comments defending a patently bad lineup and criticizing a pitcher with a one-run quality start would really cheese me if I were a pitcher. All to protect a washed up bench player who should have been dfa'd a month ago. That is how you kill a clubhouse and stop forward momentum. You reward performance, end of story. Match ups are less important.I'm saying this with no disrespect, but Davey probably knows how to handle these things (particularly the clubhouse, something he's been praised for everywhere he's gone) better than you (or I, or anyone else on here). That certainly doesn't make him immune to criticism, but still.As for Tracy, I still think this was a last ditch effort to get him going before he's DFA'd. We'll see.

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

NatsLady said… NJ, if we had to lose one, this was the one I thought we would lose, looking at Masterson. It was a tight game, no errors, Francona and his team don't make a lot of mistakes, at least, they didn't tonight, though if you look at it from their point of view, they left a lot of runners on base. They probably think they blew it for Masterson, that he didn't get the win. June 14, 2013 10:27 PM I agree. Well played game with a few tightropes walked. Cleveland only executed once the whole game and that was on the hit and run in the 9th. I think Davey made the right call going after the lefty but certainly some managers would have walked the bases loaded to get a force at home. With Stubbs on 3rd with all that speed it makes it a tough call. Going after the strikeout neutralizes the game to get 2 outs.Get them tomorrow.

274. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

275. BigCat - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Make Rsy Knight interim hitting coach. Keep eck as BP pitcher in the cages underneath the stands What you think Manassas?

276. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM

NJ, I admit, I can;t guess what Davey was thinking–a last chance for Tracy to redeem himself, I dunno, maybe Rendon has the flu. We all talked about it before the game, platoon splits, everything. It's frustrating, but not as absolutely maddening as that time he took Gio out when he was cruising with a 1-0 lead. He put the lefties in the lineup and they hit diddly-squat except Lombo's measly single, plus Werth is not seeing the ball right now, not even a walk. Well, how do you like that, the Fish beat the Cards! There is just no predicting baseball.

277. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Idk Nj – I'm not seeing Chicken Littles… I'm seeing people displeased about an offense that only had 2 hits and scored 1 run….Do1 – Ross O has a sky high ERA but he was on the other night… Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. Masterson was on tonight.

278. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Joe, I don't get what you are so ticked about. I gave my opinion on LaRoche's fielding on balls while calling him the best 1st baseman on the base.If you don't agree, that's fine but I don't get why you are attacking me.

279. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM

280. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM

But nonetheless…. We have 2 more games against them and I expect to win both… I'm still sticking with us going 6-3, if not better on this road trip….Lets even things up tomorrow!

281. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM

NatsLady said… Last year Davey slammed LaRoche for something, and I thought, why'd he do that in public, whoa!!! LaRoche laughed it off and said, Davey was right, I did blow that. At that point, I decided I know nada about clubhouse dynamics. Good players make mistakes too and it shows a lot of class when they handle it the right way. Even during ALR's slump in April he handled it well.Tough loss but get them tomorrow.

282. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM

And, NatsLady, I agree with you 100%. Gio pitched a helluva a game. I wouldn't have been the one to make the call to walk the bases loaded, or not. I did't like the line up to start the game though.Tracy is a great guy whose sun in MLB has set, again, in my opinion.

283. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM

As for "protecting" Tracy–every one of the vets knows the day will come when he is in Tracy's shoes. They know Tracy's days are numbered. For all I know they are saying their good-byes as we speak. I doubt they begrudge Tracy one last game.

284. Caps Fan - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Gio wasn't at his best tonight. Four walks. Walks the bases loaded before managing to escape. He wasn't bad tonight, but he definitely wasn't at his best.

285. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Right after Davey took over from Riggs at the end of June 2011, he gave Matt Stairs three straight starts as DH against the Angels in LA. Stairs went 2-11 in that series with 1 walk. He also started him at first in two games in early July. He went 3-12 with one walk in July, mostly as a pinch hitter, and wasn't released until the end of the month. I know we'd all like to see Tracy go tomorrow. And maybe there's more urgency in this WSOB season to fill this black hole on our bench. I sure hope so. But I wouldn't be surprised if Davey gave him another start or two. Anyone know if Cleveland's starters in the next two games are right or left handed?

286. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I'm sure if Davey could have foreseen that Gio would give up exactly one run and that his 3-4-5-6 hitters would combine for exactly one single, yeah, he woulda swapped Tracy and Rendon… Girardi's one of the best managers on the planet and he couldn't stop 4-5-6-7 hitters from going 0 for 28 last night.

287. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Gio wasn't at his best, but it was kind of weird for Davey to take a shot at him in the postgame. He did his job pretty well I'd say, which is more than I'd say for the hitters.

288. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:07 AM

289. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Kasmir is a lefty. He's very up and down. Kluber is a righty, don't know much about him.

290. DJB - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM

NatsLady, I understand your point, but these are also ambitious professionals. Any organization wants to see performance rewarded. More importantly they want to win. To lesson that chance by giving someone a beni wouldn't seem to sit well, especially the young players.

291. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:10 AM

NatsLady said:Girardi's one of the best managers on the planet and he couldn't stop 4-5-6-7 hitters from going 0 for 28 last night.June 14, 2013 11:05 PM——-//////Yeah, I guess Giradi had a bad night, huh?

292. rmoore446 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Was at a friend's house for dinner and as he isn't a baseball fan, I missed the whole game. Guess if I had to miss one, this was a good choice. I agree it is time for Tracy to go. He contributed last year but he is dead weight now and we can't afford to waste a roster spot. Can't believe all the strikeouts.

293. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Davey left Gio in for the 7th inning so he could get the win despite a high pitch count and a very shaky 6th inning. I very much doubt Gio is mad at Davey on this.

294. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Julie Alexandria ‏@JulieAlexandria 19mAdam LaRoche says he threw the ball right at Kipness; on being back at .500 "feels like we r 15 games under .500 . We gotta get it going."I don't know how, but some way somehow, they need to relax. I'm convinced the lack of offense is from them pressing. They need to just tune everything out, tune the scoreboard and the Braves out and just play.

295. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Why would Gio be angry with Johnson?

296. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:17 AM

On paper this offense seems better than to produce like this. I have no idea why we are struggling offensively.we did run into a tough pitcher this time but hopefully we can do some damage next time.

297. Joe Seamhead - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Well, why would Gio be with Johnson for the game management? Davey's comments after the game re: Gio were a little perplexing.

298. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM

I think Tracy K'ed twice tonight, which makes it 17 K's for him versus 3 BB this year. It is impossible for any player to have success with that sort of K/BB ratio. By way of comparison, Tyler Moore's ratio was almost identical, 36 to 6.

299. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:21 AM

paul brandt…agreedMrsB loves the Nats said…Idk Nj – I'm not seeing Chicken Littles… I'm seeing people displeased about an offense that only had 2 hits and scored 1 run….AGREED and the chicken little comment is so uncalled for and down right rude …its as if NOBODY is allowed to show justified displeasure in here when it is more than justified. the facts speak for themselves. there is frustration with the team because every time it seems they are about to turn a corner, they fall. fans have a right to point out things like Tracy batting 134 and on a decline..that is not bashing Tracy…that is reality and anyone has the right to question why a red hot Rendon did not play tonight… There is not one single insult that has been posted tonight about any player and that is why the comment is so over the top

300. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM

DJB, I don't think it was completely a "beni," I think Davey did want to get all his lefties in there because of the platoon split, and give RZ a rest. He saw a reasonable chance to start Tracy and see if he had anything left at all. I don't agree with Davey's line-up but (a) it probably wasn't the difference between winning and losing and (b) it probably doesn't matter as much in the clubhouse as we think it does.

301. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:27 AM

By the way, Tyler Moore, has five RBI's in two games at Syracuse so far, although his OBP is only .111. He has one hit in 9 plate appearances and 2 sac flies, 3 strike outs and no walks with a.143 batting average. I think we all hope that he can figure things out quick and fill the role that Morse filled last year, but we might have to wait till next year for that.

302. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM

NJ, I tend to agree that calling people Chicken Littles is not really fair. There's nothing wrong with being upset after a loss, and even second guessing the manager. That's what a blog like this is for, and everyone, even people claim not to be Chicken Little have done it. Remember "Espi stinks"? And not to get all technical about it, but didn't Chicken Little say the sky was falling? Well, I think you have to admit that the sky is kind of falling given how much ground we need to make up in now less than 2/3 of the season. As ALR says, we need to get it going.By the way, the runner had to duck to get out of the way of ALR's throw. So I believe him when he says he threw the ball right at the runner. Too bad it didn't hit him.

303. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:30 AM

DP, does LaRoche mean he threw it at Kipnis so he could get the out called for Kipnis interference and he missed, or that he threw it at Kipnis because he was in the way and he made a bad throw to the plate?

304. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:31 AM

"And not to get all technical about it, but didn't Chicken Little say the sky was falling? Well, I think you have to admit that the sky is kind of falling given how much ground we need to make up in now less than 2/3 of the season. As ALR says, we need to get it going."5.5 games is nothing to make up with 2/3 of the season left. I agree with your point, but I think some act as if we're further behind than we actually are. 5.5 games with 96 to play is basically nothing.Of course, we'd have to actually produce to make that gap up though…

305. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I'm not sure how he means it, NL. Perhaps the full un-twitterfied quote will explain with context.

306. baseballswami - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM

He had a nice bases clearing double last night — and those rbi's are more than Tracy has produced. Anyway- who says we have no offense? We had a fantastic balk score yesterday, followed by a wild pitch score today!

307. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I am concerned about Werth 1 for 15…his swing and timing looks way off

308. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM

OK, because LaRoche has a very high baseball IQ, and I would not be surprised if he threw it at Kipnis knowing he would get the out that way. And then isn't it a dead ball and the runners have to go back?

309. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I agree Mick, Werth looks off. It's weird because he had a fantastic series against the Twins. I'm not sure what's happened since, but he looks lost all of a sudden.

310. DJB - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM

What I'm trying to say is that a manager should be putting players on the field that give him the best chance of winning now and in the future. That should be the only consideration.

311. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Since I have no access, what is going on between Gio and Johnson?

312. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Davey said last week, that Eckstein's philosophy is excellent. Does anyone know what that philosophy actually is? seriously, I would like to know, I doubt very much it involves the team not getting a single base hit after the 3rd inning.

313. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM

And I agree with David, 5.5 games is nothing, especially the way Atlanta is playing. LaRoche is saying (I think) forget about waiting for Harper, Ramos, etc. just get OUR butts moving, the butts that are on the field right now.

314. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Nothing is going on, MNF. Davey said he didn't think Gio had his best stuff. That's it. Gio hasn't said anything or anything like that.

315. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I think Davey made the right call going after the lefty but certainly some managers would have walked the bases loaded to get a force at home. Wait, Ghost, did someone take over your moniker? I thought it was Baseball 101 to walk the bases loaded in that situation. You mean it depends on the matchup, i.e., who the batter is? You walked right into that one, buddy. :-)

316. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM

David..wonder if Werth is hurt?" Davey said he didn't think Gio had his best stuff." Did Davey really say that?? I hope the hell not!

317. Gonat - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:42 AM

The Indians blew many chances tonight. Bases loaded twice and no runs. Kipnis made his contact on a 3-2 pitch. Nats had a runner on 3rd and 1 out and RZ K'd. That's the deciding moments in the game.

318. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM

My fear is that Werth hurt his wrist when diving for that ball in Colorado. I hope it's not the case.

319. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM

I think Werth's wrist isn't right…. Ever since that awesome catch, he has been off….

320. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM

why would Davey say anything negative about Gio's performance? I am just floored and now I wonder if Davey has simply lost it

321. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM

David and MrsB…you may be right, that would explain a lot

322. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Gio walked the bases loaded before luckily escaping. He was very good, but not at his best. The results were great, but he struggled big time towards the end (after a fantastic start). I don't understand why we're making a big deal out of this, of all things.

323. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM

5.5 games may be nothing, but to get to 95 wins, the Nats have to play at a 104 win pace for the rest of the season, a .646 winning percentage. That ain't nothing. You may think the Braves are going to collapse, and certainly Beachy's setback makes their pitching less scary, but that's a darn good team we have to catch. ALR knows how tough it's going to be.Now, with our pitching rotation restored and Harper back, maybe we have a shot, but I certainly would say that being skeptical of our chances of winning the division at this point does not make you a Chicken Little.

324. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Just like I'm wondering if Rogers's shoulder is okay… Span and Werth need days off….

325. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Based on what read on play by play, he didnt ave best stuff.

326. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

David…my only point is that Davey should be discussing the team's batting problems, why they could not get a single hit after the 3rd inning, why Zim and Werth look at 3rd strike after going through the lineup once, why the worst hitter on the team played over the hottest hitter tonight, things of that nature. Instead, Davey draw attention by taking a shot at the 1 player that kept in the game.I think it is a big deal in terms of what Davey is thinking

327. baseballswami - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

I was actually concerned Sunday night when Werth made a ridiculous catch and then did that base grabbing slide. I was positive his hammy was barking again That was the most full out I had seen him play in a long time. Hope he did not overextend.

328. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM

granted, Gio did not pitch the best game of his career, instead of pitching great, he only pitched very good…here is the point Why say anything at all about Gio not having his best stuff. Davey made a mistake, he should not have said a stupid comment like that and I bet after sleeping on it, I think he would agree.

329. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

A reporter specifically asked about Gio's outing and he said Gio did great, but he didn't think he had his best stuff. It's seriously not a controversial statement at all.

330. mick - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:55 AM

OK David…I did not know that…I feel better about it

331. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Gio actually cruised until the 6th and then he let his emotions get the best of him and gave up a coupe of walks… But he got out of it with a good series from Zook… The 7th inning was fine as well but he was gassed and left it all out there…He did enough for us to win… Hell, on most nights, this performance is hailed as most teams would win… But our offense wasnt there tonight..This is the type of game that you aren't as upset about if the record is better and the offense is better… But becuz we are sputtering here and there with runs, it just seems as if stuff is compounded…But as I said earlier, lets just get them tomorrow and Sunday!

332. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Section 222 said… I think Davey made the right call going after the lefty but certainly some managers would have walked the bases loaded to get a force at home. ————-Wait, Ghost, did someone take over your moniker? I thought it was Baseball 101 to walk the bases loaded in that situation. You mean it depends on the matchup, i.e., who the batter is? You walked right into that one, buddy. :-) June 14, 2013 11:40 PM Baseball 101 would have been to walk the bases loaded and Davey went to his own Baseball 102 and I'm sure contemplated his options and went for the K or hoping for the infield grounder right at someone because of the big speed at 3rd with Stubbs and the switch-hitter flyball guy in the on-deck circle in Swisher. I think Davey made a calculated decision and it didn't work but I am sure in this case he thought through all of his options.

333. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Against the Tulowitsky-less Rockies, who couldn't hold a 7-2 lead, Papelbon comes in for the rare save situation. Gives up a single to Cargo, who immediately steals 2B. Cuddyer strikes out, Helton grounds out. Ballgame. Not really worried about the Fillies in the long run, but they aren't giving up yet.

334. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Ghost, I'm sure he did, and I actually agree with his move to try to get the lefty, but it's a tough call given the speed of the baserunner at third. Whether he made the "right" decision or not, it's impossible to know. But surely you recognize the inconsistency between what you said here and your insistence in the exchange I linked to that Terry Collins made the only possible correct decision when he walked Bernadina to pitch to Lombo in that walkoff game i10 days ago. There are judgment calls to make every time. That's what makes this game fun to watch, debate, and second guess.

335. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Also, remember the Nats won the Twins series and the Rockies series after losing the first game. We are OK, they have lesser pitchers, we have better pitchers (on paper, anyway) for the next two games. JZ is our bulldog, and I bet he's fired up to be in the Cy Young race, from a personal point of view. Stras and Stammen on Sunday.I too am worried about Werth, but he is a veteran's veteran. He took his time coming back, so hopefully he knows what he's doing. You can say whatever you want about Span, but he just doesn't make mistakes in the outfield, you have to love that.

336. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Sect222, Lombo isn't Swisher and the Nats had a slow runner on 3rd in LaRoche that if a ball went into the outfield you still have a chance. Both situations favor the home team no matter what you do. I thought Collins made the good decision at the time and I think Davey made a good decision but if he walked the bases loaded it would have been a good decision. I think the situation would change if Kipnis was right-handed and a lefty was on deck. In the Mets game there were no outs, in this situation there was 1 out. Abad really needed that K. Oh well.

337. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Put me down also for worrying about Werth. Looked real bad yesterday and not good today. Bernadina didn't look great. Tracy didn't look great. Suzuki didn't look great. Rendon looked great on the bench!

338. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Suzuki might be my most serious concern. Shark is heating up (if he's healthy). Werth, again if healthy, will be fine. Suzuki looks absolutely lost though. We need Ramos back. You get him and Harper back, you have 1-8 hitters to be feared.

339. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM

These two teams are so well-matched, Cleveland struggling for respectability and desperate to avoid the season-ending collapse, the Nats struggling against the label of "favorites," fighting to overcome devastating injuries, trying to get a win streak but without enough resources. Both with savvy, experienced managers. This is truly baseball fun.

340. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM

DP, agree on Suzuki, we are getting no offense out of that position, but he saved a run easy with Clip's wild pitch that wasn't. If Ramos has another setback, Rizzo better be seriously looking around.

341. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Don't get me wrong Zuke is very valuable defensively, but Ramos is a serious threat at the plate.

342. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:25 AM

It was great when we had the Ramos/Suzuki split. Both guys benefited, as did the team. If Suzuki gets his option, he has TOTALLY earned it, but, some offense would be really nice…

343. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Today Rizzo said Ramos setback was days, not weeks. "Wilson Ramos’s recent setback in the rehab of his left hamstring will last only “several days,” according to Rizzo, and not weeks as Johnson had originally suggested. Ramos felt something in his leg muscle as he was performing base running drills earlier this week at the Nationals spring training complex in Viera.The Nationals immediately shut down Ramos, given his recurring hamstring issues. Ramos was rehabbing a second strain of the same hamstring. He strained his hamstring April 13 and missed 14 games. He came back but re-injured the hamstring May 15 and has missed 26 games while on the disabled list. He was about four weeks into a six-week rehab when he felt the discomfort this week.“According to our doctors, there isn’t any larger concern that it’s a chronic type of injury,” Rizzo said.

344. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Kelly Shoppach was just DFA'd but not sure if he's worth considering. Just mentioning it. His BA stinks but takes walks and has a little power.

345. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM

You might enjoy this.I'm so sick of hearing Braves announcers and reporters (Brian Jordan and Jerome Jurenivich) making excuses for the Braves. They are always saying "Well, they just got shut down by great pitching." Really? Is EVERY pitcher we go against, great? Is every pitcher we go against, having his "good stuff"? When will they just tell the truth and say this team CAN'T HIT. Sorry folks, but this is really getting old; watching our team get shut down, just to hear someone say we ran into a really good pitcher. I beginning to believe, the BRAVES, just make mediocre pitchers, look really good.

346. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

David Proctor, that is some better news on Ramos.

347. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

That's funny NL because that could verbatim be said here by a lot of posters.

348. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Have you ever seen so many hitters in the Majors hitting below Mendoza? They are everywhere and almost every team has the problem.You have to wonder if the demise started with Steroid testing and this years HgH testing. I'm just not buying that players all of sudden have fallen apart.

349. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:44 AM

David, yup. And there was another one about their hitting coach, and how Chipper fixed ALR's swing with one look at video.

350. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM

First, they need to fire Greg Walker immediately. This guy is our hitting coach and if it takes him TWO MONTHS to fix people's swings, he needs to go. Chipper Jones fixed Adam LaRoche's swing in ONE DAY, simply by looking at his swing on video and telling him what he was doing wrong. Greg Walker hasn't fixed Uggla's swing in 2 1/2 years. Both Upton's are struggling and haven't been "fixed".

351. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Derek Norris with a nice Web Gem.

352. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM

353. Drew - Jun 15, 2013 at 5:15 AM

In farm news, Zach Walters hit two home runs and now leads the Nats' chain with 14.Overall, the pride of Cheyenne has had a woeful offensive season — .250 on base percentage, 'nuff said.But in Walters and Martinson the Nats have a couple of minor league shortstops with pop.

354. Rabbit34 - Jun 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM

There is just something wrong with the whole team, including the manager. 3-4-5-6 batters with 9 strikeouts. Pull Rendon, with a what – 8,9 game hitting streak – batting .300 for a guy batting .130. Let's see, how can we stop that streak and lose another game. Poor Gio. This teams really S…s

355. Nats106 - Jun 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Anybody know when Tracy's birthday is? Ankiel was hitting 2228 with a few more HRs than Chad when he was DFA's

356. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Ah Ghost, the more you analyze the situation, and as I said I agree with your analysis, the more you prove my point from our previous debate! The decision whether to walk the bases full depends on the situation. Who's the runner at 3rd, who's the batter, who's the guy on deck? It's not "Baseball 101" with one obvious answer. Someone who thinks the best strategy would have been do something else is not obviously wrong. Davey's call, like Terry Collins's, can be discussed, debated, and second guessed. As you said the other day, which I would never say to you because I respect your baseball mind — "Sheesh."