Game 66: Nats at Indians

Jun 14, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Don't look now, but the Nationals have won back-to-back series for the first time since early-May (when they beat the Pirates and Tigers in succession). If they're going to claw their way back into the thick of the NL East race, this is how they have to do it, taking 2 of 3 from as many upcoming opponents as they can, and they were able to do it in the last week against the Twins and Rockies.

Tonight, the Nationals open a new series in Cleveland, against an Indians club also hovering around the .500 mark. Davey Johnson will have (in theory) his three best starters on the mound: Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann and Stephen Strasburg. That's obviously a good thing.

Offensively, Davey is going with a couple of twists with tonight's lineup. Taking advantage of the DH in the AL park, Ryan Zimmerman gets a chance to bat four or five times without taking the field. Chad Tracy will be at third place. Steve Lombardozzi, meanwhile, is at second base, with Anthony Rendon getting the night off.

I'm not in Cleveland this weekend, but please continue the conversation here. And a special thanks to all of you who continue to do your part to keep the discourse intelligent and respectful…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CLEVELAND INDIANS
Where: Progressive Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 182
Weather: Clear, 64 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
LF Roger Bernadina
DH Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche

1. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

2. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Last chance for Tracy? I recall Matt Stairs getting successive starts at 1B in an AL park shortly before he was cut (and retired).

3. NI Watcher - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Completely baffling. Even taking into consideration that Tracy is a lefty against a RHP, you still have to assume that Rendon would outperform Tracy at bat as well as in the field.

4. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

District Sports Nats ‏@NationalsDSP 11mMasterson v RHB: .190/.271/.254. Masterson v LHB: .242/.332/.368. Davey going platoon spilt crazy tonight. #NatsThat explains it.

5. -Dan- - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Here's how the Cleveland Indians enter this series with the Nats:Record: 32-33 (18-12 at home, 3-8 in June, 5-3 in interleague play)Current Indians are batting .284 against Gio Gonzalez (21/74), with Swisher (6/15, 1 HR), Bourn (4/10) and Raburn (6-11, 2 HRs) all hitting over .400 against him.Just 5 Nats had some ABs against Justin Masterson:Span 7/28 with a homerSuzuki 2/11 with a homerTracy 2/2 with a homerRZim 0/1JDub 0/3

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Will Desi see anything to hit with Tracy hitting behind him?

7. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

David Proctor said… This lineup is baffling to me. I understand wanting to DH Zimmerman. But why do you not play Rendon at 3B and Lombo at 2B if you want to do that? Why Chad Tracy? WHY CHAD F'N TRACY???? +1 Tracy is the only guy we have at 3B who is a worse 3B (right now) than Zimmerman (sorry Zimmerman, but yiur not what you use to be).

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

From the discussion in the last thread, here's what Cot's Baseball Contracts has on Suzuki (emphasis added):Kurt Suzuki c4 years/$16.25M (2010-13), plus 2014 option4 years/$16.25M (2010-13), plus 2014 option signed extension with Oakland 7/23/10, replacing 1 year/$0.42M deal signed 3/8/10$0.15M signing bonus10:$0.6M, 11:$3.4M, 12:$5M, 13:$6.45M, 14:$8.5M club option ($0.65M buyout)2014 option guaranteed at $9.25M with 113 starts in 2013

9. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I posted this 100 deep in the last last post, but $5 tickets for the next two series are here:http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ticketing/5series.jsp

10. Ishmael - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Masterson has always had a big L/R split, so that explains starting Tracy. As far as not putting Rendon at 3B, I assume they want him to work just at 2B for now and not have him move back and forth.Tomorrow, against Kazmir, I expect Rendon to be back at 2B, with Marrero at DH. At least that's what I hope.

11. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… 2014 option guaranteed at $9.25M with 113 starts in 2013 Me: Time to start resting Kurt more, you just can't let that guarantee kick in.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

So Bernadina is fine.

13. Exposremains - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I see only three reasons for this line up madnessRendon is hurtLast chance for Tracy ala stairsDj has lost his mindVery odd to change a winning combination when u need wins. I hate this lineup . I dont care about matchups, tracy is done

14. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Here are my thoughts.(1) Masterson is the best of their pitchers, and the game we were most likely to lose. However, he has a pretty big platoon split, given that his is a starter. Righties are only hitting .190/.271/.254 against him, whereas lefties .242 /.332/.368(2) Tracy will not disgrace himself at 3B. He made a couple of excellent defensive plays there this year and 3B is his regular position.(3) It's good to see Roger starting, I take that to mean his shoulder/collarbone are OK. Rendon can pinch hit, it's not the end of the world.

15. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Why in the unholy hell is Chad Tracy in the Line up….

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Is tonight the night Chad Tracy gets a RBI

17. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Tracy catches what he can get to, but his range is limited to a step each way. Worse range of any of the guys on this team that play 3B.

18. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Is tonight the night Chad Tracy gets a RBIAnswer: No

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

GoSM – no….

20. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Failing Harper, Davey has his best outfield defensively for Gio. We don't think Lombo is hopeless at 2B, right? Nor is Tracy. It remains to be seen if it will work, but I don't think it's crazy. If Tracy goes 0 for 4 and makes an error under these circumstances–which are the best possible for him–then it's the end of the line for him, and it's best to know that now. If he performs, then maybe we win the game.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sec3,.you lost me on the math. How does $8.5 become $9.25 million?

22. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Tcostant, I agree Tracy's range is limited, but actually, Zim's is too, I'm afraid to say. All too often he lays out for a ball that he doesn't get. Fortunately, Desi's range is excellent, and he'll just have to cope. Tracy won't throw the ball away, so there's that.

23. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM

>>>If Tracy goes 0 for 4…No "if" is required here.

24. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Giving Tracy a start isn't the end of the world. At least he can fire the ball on target across the diamond. And I don't have a problem with resting Rendon for a night. I just kind of wish that Davey didn't decide to do both things on the same night. If Tracy goes 0-4 tonight, please don't start him tomorrow, ok Davey?Also, to be fair, I wanted to repost this from the end of the previous thread. Maybe Feel was right. The comments on this story are pretty interesting. People thought a whole lot of Zuki back in July 2010.

25. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

And if the objective is to use as many lefties as possible, this is yet another indictment against Rizzo over the quality of the left handed bats on the roster.

26. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Kurt has been in 47 of the 65 games so far, and started most of those, IIRC. This option vests if he starts 66 of the next 97, which means that if Ramos doesn't make it back, and nobody gets traded, it's a given. I can't see Davey starting Solano a third of the time during a pennant race.

27. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I'm going with the reverse lock, and say Tracy has a good day at the plate. Just cuz.

28. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ghost, it's not my math. Cut and pasted from Cot's. I assume that's how the K reads.

29. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone that we are almost at the one year anniversary of what MLB originally said was the drop deal date for a MASN dispute resolution. Selig was on record as saying that he wants a resolution before the 2012 All-Star game. It seems the panel of Selig advisors advised the best resolution was to sell MASN to someone like Fox Sports, and get both the O’s and Nationals some vig, while also getting market based broadcasting fees. Once the O’s owner (I won’t say his name) balked, the opportunity was lost. Now we’re in limbo and the Nationals make thirty something million a year instead of the hundred million they deserve.Will this be resolved before Selig leave office?http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/05/16/bud-selig-involved-in-masn-dispute-talks-still-no-resolution-in-sight/http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/bud-selig-says-nationals-orioles-remains-in-very-intense-discussion-over-masn-contract/2012/07/10/gJQAzxpyaW_blog.html

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Okay… I'm over the line up… Here is to C Tracy having a 2/4 night….I get the L vs R thing…. Maybe DJ wanted to give Lombo an opportunity and Rendon a rest…Glad to see Roger in the line up as I am going to assume his shoulder is okay… Maybe it was just a stinger…Nats – 4Them – 1

31. Steamer - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm going out on a limb Tracy gets a R.B.I tonight

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone that we are almost at the one year anniversary of what MLB originally said was the drop-dead date for a MASN dispute resolution.Thanks, TCos, for the reminder, good point. I'm guessing this takes at least that long.

33. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

PChuck, we would have a great LH bat if Harper were here. I don't thnk that's a fair criticism, since you have ALR (a quality LH bat) and Span (adequate), plus Bernadina and Lombo (sw) off the bench.

34. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I'm going out on a limb and will say Kobernus will pinch-run for Tracy at some point . :)

35. bowdenball - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I hate seeing a lineup with Tracy and without Rendon too, but I guess it kind of makes some sense to do it now if you're gonna do it at all. There's the splits of course, and also the fact that Rendon has probably never been on a road trip like this in his entire life. In college and the minor leagues they don't play nine straight games in three different cities thousands of miles apart like the Nats are doing here. Kid can probably use a break, might as well do it now so he's fresh for the weekend and the visit to a division rival after that.

36. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Anyway, let's face it. The game depends on how well Gio pitches. If he is on, we are fine.

37. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

WowNo comment other than, "Wow."

38. Unknown - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Davey currently has two live bats, Desmond and Rendon, and he removes one from the lineup. Dumb! Does he really expect that "Matt Stairs" at 3rd base is going to be a positive?

39. PChuck - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

NatsLady, you should never be in the position where one of your left handed bats is Chad Tracy.That's Rizzo.

40. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Make sure everyone reads Washington Examiner's Thom Loverro last article which Mark retweeded above. It will make you laugh, smile and almost cry:http://washingtonexaminer.com/thom-loverro-a-longtime-newspaperman-reaches-end-of-the-journey/article/2531864

41. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

42. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Too funny. A number of reasons, up top, were given for Tracy starting. Then, a number of "why Tracy?" posts.Hint — read some of the messages.BTW, here's another answer: perhaps a start or two can "get him going".In fact, the last time some of the NI commenters went ballistic with "why is _he_ starting" they were referring to the Shark, who promptly got on base 4 times that game.BTW, I also agree with the Matt Stairs analogy. I've also been thinking that Tracy has until around the ASB, and will either improve or get cut. Note: earlier I made a similar prediction with Espi – I had said: he either improves by the fist half of June or, sometime between June 1 and 15th, he gets sent down. So, too, I suspect, with Tracy around ASB time.

43. Drew - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I get the lefty-righty split and Masterson is a tough pitcher who is having his best season.That said, with Harper out, I hate having Rendon's bat out of the lineup.Below Desmond, this lineup sure looks suspect.

44. bowdenball - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder TCostant. We can't talk about it enough. I hate to say it, but you cannot be a fan of the Orioles and call yourself a DC sports fan. DC sports have no greater enemy than Peter Angelos and his Orioles. For years the succeeded at keeping us from having baseball at all. What is worse for DC sports than fighting against DC having a sports team? Then he agreed only when Selig gave him a sweetheart TV deal that negatively affects the Nats' ability to compete for free agents for decades to come. A few obnoxious Phillies fans pale on comparison to that kind of sleaziness.

45. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

his loyalty is to the 'the club' — not the ball club, mind you, but the club that was (and is) that composed of MLB team owners.Ughh. You may be right, but I hate that.The first thing I thought of when you wrote that was Jay Vincent — a baseball commissioner that put the game of baseball first, not the owners. He even said, flat out: "The Union basically doesn’t trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig."So, what happened? He got fired after around 3 years. And Selig replaced him.

46. Ken - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

With Strasburg coming off the DL for Sunday's game, the Nats will have to send a player down or cut someone loose, my guess is if they choose to send someone down, that they'll choose Xavier Cedeno, "unless" Tracy bombs today and tomorrow. In which case, he's a strong candidate to DFA'd.If, by some miracle he's still with the team when Bryce returns next week, Tracy has to be cut. If he's still there after Bryce comes back, it's time to start screaming for Davey's head, because his "need" for a "veteran presence" is hurting the team, and he more than anyone should know that the team comes before egos, including his own.IMO, the only thing that will save Tracy, is if he very quickly gets hot and stays that way. Frankly, I don't see that happening. His glory days with the Nats came last year. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

47. Tcostant - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Eugene in Oregon said… Tcostant @ 4:05 = most significant post of the day, regardless of what happens in Cleveland. I've recently been rereading Daniel Okrent's '9 Innings' and the portrait he paints of a youngish (1982 season) Bud Selig — then the managing partner of the Brewers' ownership group — is quite telling, particularly in retrospect. Despite getting jerked around by the MLB owners in the period between the Braves departure and his group's acquisition of the Pilots, his loyalty is to the 'the club' — not the ball club, mind you, but the club that was (and is) that composed of MLB team owners. And while the Lerners are now a part of that club, I've got to believe Mr. Selig still wants to avoid offending a more senior owner (Peter Angelos) or doing anything that could lead Mr. Angelos to sue MLB and risk the various benefits the owners enjoy. Me: No doubt you’re correct. Selig has always been viewed as a consonance builder; basically he wants all his ducks in a row before he does anything.

48. A DC Wonk - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

bowdenball — I'm with you on that.When Angelos started trying to stop baseball from coming to DC, I sorta swore that I would never set foot in Ori-hole stadium again.I got nothing against the team. I loved following them in the early 1980's. I look forward to rooting for them when there is different ownership. But until then . . . phooey.(I might bend the rule if the Nats are playing in a World Series game over there)

49. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Wonk: Exactly. With the exception of Judge Landis, the owners have never allowed a commissioner to gain any independent power or really even exercise his own judgment. Even Bowie Kuhn was stripped of his labor-relations authority in the later years of his term (second term?) when he applied the 'best interests of baseball' clause to prevent the owners from locking-out the players in 1976. For all the talk of the commissioner being the commissioner of 'all baseball' — players, owners, and fans — he's an employee of the owners. Period. Mr. Selig has survived because, as an owner himself, he understands that better than any other commissioner has.

50. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

As a result of being Pirates fan in the 70s, I've thankfully never had any interest in the O's. After moving to DC, I went to games at ol' Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards a few times a year but not once since 2005. Haven't missed it at all.

51. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sec. 3, just one question:Cheech Wizard?You planning on kicking someone in the nuts?

52. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

(Okay, that's two questions…)

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Candide, go to the profile and click the links. I think you'll enjoy them.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Particularly the My Web Page–which I remembered and dug up (so to speak) online, in honor of what's-his-name. But decided not to post here. Too obscure.

55. Caps Fan - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

56. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 14sDavey: Bryce Harper still resting knee. Likely be evaluated while Nats in Philly. If goes well, hopeful following week. Needs rehab games.So that would make the 24th the earliest return date.

57. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Caps Fan said… Rendon is still in the process of learning how to play second base. Don't expect to see him getting spot starts or even playing time at third base any time soon.Lombo's played third before, hasn't he?Hell's bells, even if he hasn't what's the worst he could do over there? Kick a ball or two? For that, you're taking Rendon out?Desi: "Thanks a lot, skip. There goes my 15-game hitting streak."And just watch: Gio's curve will be falling off a cliff tonight. He'll have seven Ks by the fourth inning, and Tracy will be standing over at third wondering if anything is gonna get hit near him. "Well, when the pitcher comes up, he'll probably bunt and… oh, crap, it's the AL…"Prediction: Nats lose 3-2 as Desi gets an IBB and Tracy strikes out with two outs and Zimm and Werth in scoring position in the top of the ninth.(Reverse lock? Moi?)

58. Section 222 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I'm not expecting to see Rendon at 3B because Ryan Zimmerman has that job. But I seriously doubt playing a few innings there in a pinch will hurt his development at 2B. Lombo plays different positions. So did Espi. Davey will use Rendon at 3B if he needs to. And once Tracy is cut, hopefully soon, he'll be the best backup option we've got at that position. You would think Rendon's performance so far has proved that he doesn't need to be babied in the field.

59. capitalbeltwaysportsblog.com - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I'm having a very hard time understanding why Rendon is sitting tonight. Especially when he has an 8 game hitting streak. Maybe Tracy can have a breakout game against an AL team like Cleveland. Gio is a great guy to start tonight. He is rested and will be fired up on the mound. Hopefully that emotion will spill over to the other guys so they can keep this road trip moving in the right direction.

60. Mr Baseball - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Why not Rendon on 3b and Tracy at 1b? It might do LaRoche good to have a day off and be ready to PH. Rendon is only 22 and doesn't need a day off at this stage of his career.

61. NCNatsie - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My guess is Tracy will get a hit tonight, convincing Davy to keep him for a while yet. It's sort of like a sucker bet, Dontcha think?

62. Section 135 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Davey's just breaking us in for Danny's eventual return. He has seriously lost any mojo he had last year. What worked last year was forgoing veterans like Nady for Bryce Lombok and Moore. Now he's Jim Riggleman. I for one won't miss Davey next year.

63. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM

In four career outings [at Progressive Field], from 2009-11 with the A's, [Gonzales] is 4-0 with a 0.68 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings.

64. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

DJ said*Give Zimm a breather*Gives Tracy a chance to not just DH and think about hitting*Gives Rendon a rest against a nasty right hander… And also gives Lombo a chance to play…

65. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Those of you who like history might enjoy this. The William Bray mentioned is the ancestor of our own Bill Bray. What is his status, by the way?Early Baseball 1749 stylehttp://sabr.org/latest/new-discovery-sabr-member-david-block-confirms-baseball-was-played-royalty-england-1700s

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

When was the last time Span has hit to the opposite side… Seems like he pulls everything to the 1st basemen lately…

67. NatsLady - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Sheesh, how do you hit that? If that's a strike–!

68. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

69. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Danny E facing another lefty in Syracuse tonite and strikes out swinging on a change up low and away.And in other news, water is wet…

70. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Masterson has nasty stuff.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Terrible….

72. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I can forgive the other strikeouts, but Tracy strikes out on a ball near his eyes. Really?

73. Clip&Store - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

offense sure is looking great tonight

74. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Masterson has some real filthy movement and he is a NFL linebacker at 6'5 250…Tracy looked silly.

75. Rabbit34 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I have to say it too. Why Tracy?@?@?@!!!! Why is Rendon not in the lineup!!!???!??! WHY WHY WHY!!!??? No wonder there is so much frustration here!!!!!!!! Have the coaches and Johnson short circuited? Again!?

76. paul brandt - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Gio looking impressive too. Shadows making it hard for batters per FP.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Both pitchers working fast…

78. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Good job Zuke. If you can't hit, at least walk.

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I don't like the DH… But good hit/at bat Lombo…

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Great bunt by Span….

81. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Why do people get so upset when someone who obviously is next in line to get dfa"d is given a chance to prove he shouldn't? Rendon coming off the bemch seems like a better situation in a dh game then Tracy.

82. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I don't really like the bunt there. I understand why Davey did it, but I don't like giving away an out against a guy who can easily strike out the next two.

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Great at bat by Roger…. Aight Ryan…. Score at least 2…. Lets do this!

84. phil dunton - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Davey Johnson's biggest weakness is his stubborn penchant for sticking with losers when there is no hope that these individuals have any chance to ever contribute in a positive way. Four examples that immediately come to mind are Henry Rodriguez, Danny Espinosa, Chad Tracy and the hitting coach, Eckstein. Good managers are flexible while Davey is painfully stubborn. This flaw has caused several unnecessary losses over the past two years. I suspect Rizzo has the same flaw, which is why he puts up with Davey.

85. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Why do people get so upset when someone who obviously is next in line to get dfa"d is given a chance to prove he shouldn't? Because we'd like to give the team a chance to win?

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM

We were due for a WP…. Nice…. We'll take it!

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

NatsJack – is Tracy next in line to get DFA'd….

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I wish we could have scored at least 2 there…. Not sure I like this blue or his SZ….

89. Candide - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

…and that's our offensive explosion for the next four innings…

90. phil dunton - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Tracy isn't going anywhere because he has a guaranteed contract for the season and Rizzo doesn't like to eat guaranteed contracts no matter how small the amount.

91. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Phil, ego and cash, I feel the same way on the golf course.

92. David Proctor - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yikes at that AB by Werth.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I get so disgusted by Chad Tracy…. He was another one I wanted to let go last year….

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Hanging Chad….

95. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Didn't bother Rizzo with dumping Zach Duke.

96. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Love it. Medlin and the Braves down 2-0.And Espinosa is coming up for his 2nd AB.

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Was Duke at league minimum?

98. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Danny grounds into a 5-4 fielders choice beating the throw on a dp ball to third.

99. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Not sure, Ghost.

100. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Duke was making 1 mil, the same amount that Tracy is.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That sucked…

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Great effort by Ian….

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Wow NatsJack… You got me beat… I'm just sitting here watching the game and packing…. #greatmultitasker

105. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM

And the Giamnts score again.on a ball poorly played by BJ-Up. 3-0 Giants.

106. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM

NatsJack, impressive you must be single or have the coolest wife of all time.

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Okay… roger, Materson just walked Span and then you go and swing at the first pitch….Ugh….

108. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… I've got the Braves/Giants on the laptop, the Nats on the big screen, the Dodgers/Pirates on the tower and the Chiefs where Tyler Moore just hit a wall scraper home run to left on my tablet.I feel inadequate…

109. Section 222 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Rizzo won't hesitate to cut Tracy when he's ready. He ate Lidge's contract, and Stairs's. He just has a little more patience than we do, and that's probably a good thing.I didn't catch the whole thing, but Davey's pre-game interview on MASN seemed to give more hope for Espi's return than I'd like to hear. I sure hope he gets at least one hit in the minors before they bring him back….

110. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

By the way, Tyler is playing first in Syracuse.

111. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Espi got a hit last nite.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We've left 5 on base….

113. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Espi got a hit last nite.Bring him up – he's ready!

114. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

And the Pirates are up 2-0 over Evil Empire West.

115. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

More importantly, he's struck out in 2 of his 4 at bats so he really is in perfect form.

116. sec205 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Not a good ab by zim

117. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Zim is fine, Masterson gets paid too and he's a heck of a pitcher. Gio is doing the same to them (so far)…good pitchers duel.

118. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Gio has the great curve working tonite.

119. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Masterson's pitch count is up. Keep working him. I don't think the Indians bullpen is great.

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Aight… Lets go Nats! Lets get some hits and runs!

121. Adam - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And a strikeout.

122. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Me at 5:24: Candide said… And just watch: Gio's curve will be falling off a cliff tonight. He'll have seven Ks by the fourth inning…Here it is at the end of five and Gio has 7 Ks.I wish I was that smart every day.

123. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Yeahhhhh… Zimm looked at 2 fat ones straight down the plate and then decided to swing at ball 4….

124. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Danny Espinosa coming up for his third at bat.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM

How's about Werth's ABs lately.

126. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Grounds out to short making him 1-5 with 2 k's in his rehab.Heck….his hitting .200 for the first time in a long time.

127. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

And then there's my 7:45:Candide said… …and that's our offensive explosion for the next four innings…Dang, I'm hotter than Kristina Akra in a Gatorade bath.

128. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Mr Werth is in a little funk… Wonder if that wrist is right…

129. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Masterson is at 101 after 6…how log does this guy usually go? 10k's!

130. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Well he's over 100 pitches.

131. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Yes. He's at 101. One good inning of smart ab's and the Nats can get to their bull pen.

132. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Gio's curve is almost as nasty as Mastersons sinker.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I thought that was a K….

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I actually thought Zook should have gone to talk to Gio after the first walk… Calm him down as he was obviously upset…

135. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Giants 3-0 and Baumgartner is perfect after 5.

136. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Wow…. My issue is that Masterson has gotten that call tonight….

137. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Out of nowhere, Gio loses his command. Seen this script before.

138. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

does not take long for Gio to melt down, just seems when he gets behind or doesn't get a call, he freaks, he won't get any borderline calls doing that.

139. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Come on Gio… Finish this!

140. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Dear god Gio, why do you do this to me?

141. waddu eye no - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

phew

142. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice, Gio. Next time try to do it without being such a drama queen.

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Way to go…. Gio has got to get a control on his emotion but the blue can't decide to call it for 1 and not the other….

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

*sigh*. Come on offense… Score 2 runs here, please….

145. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

…and blue wasn't squeezing him. Pitch track was endorsing the ump.

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

That was walking the tightrope.

147. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Zach Walters just hit his 14th home run to take the lead over the Mud Hens 5-4.

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Chad Tracy just disgusts me….

149. waddu eye no - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…I've got the Braves/Giants on the laptop, the Nats on the big screen, the Dodgers/Pirates on the tower and the Chiefs where Tyler Moore just hit a wall scraper home run to left on my tablet.are you sure you're not really that Finch guy from "person of interest?";-)

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Gotta tip the cap for Matterson…. He's got some nasty stuff….

151. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hopefully that is it for Masterson.

152. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I keep telling people I'm a baseball fan first and a Nats fan next.

153. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Masterson throws the nastiest power sinker in baseball. He's a polished Taylor Jordan.

154. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

man oh man, after a 30+ pitch inning by Gio, we flame out 1-2-3 on offense if you call it that, not good. Rendon, Kobernus, come on Davey mix it up, we have 2 hits!

155. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Surprised Gio is still in.

156. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Dang, I thought Gio may have been done…. I guess Davey says – Yeah, he got this….

157. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Davey probably wants Gio to get the win. Gio hasn't had a win forever. And Gio still look good so far.

158. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Gio has done a phenomenal job tonight… Hell Masters has too….Great pitchers dual….

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Puig just crashed into Eithier and the wall on a ball caught by Andre and camecaway grimacing. Both shoulder and knee looked to hit both hard but he stays in rhe game.

160. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Scary catch by Span. Almost dropped it.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Loud out… Span making my breath hitch….

162. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Has Tracy had a single chance at third tonight?Was wondering, because for all the offense he's provided, Davey might as well have penciled in my mother-in-law at third.Still thinking Lombo at third and Rendon at second would have made a lot more sense.

163. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I get upset C Tracy…. He is just a fail…

164. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I get upset thinking about Chad Tracy*

165. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Baumgartner just walked BJ with 2 outs in the 6th. Perfecto gone.

166. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…Baumgartner just walked BJ with 2 outs in the 6th. Perfecto gone.Of all the guys to walk.

167. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM

MrsB loves the Nats… Cunegonde was wondering if you're the same person who was posting here last season as The Future Mrs Roger Bernadina, "because what ever happened to her?"

168. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM

But Uggla K's looking so the no no is still good after 6.

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Yeah… That's me…

170. paul brandt - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Candide, re. Tracy, zippo chances, he is as invisible at bat as he is on the field but hey, he is consistent.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Standing O for Gio…. Great game! Now come on Offense! Do the right thing!

172. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

OK…let's put some men on base and SCORE!

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Yeah…l me and Roger got married during the offseason…. *snickers*But…. But…. But… I've having elicit thoughts about D Span… *snickers*

174. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Chad Tracy has a .131 batting average…. And why is he in the line up, again?????

175. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I was at the game when Gio threw the 1 hitter against the Reds back in April. He has been just as good tonite.

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

What a nice outing.

177. Candide - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Here's your guy, MrsB.

178. jeeves - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I get upset about the manager who keeps putting players like Tracey out there in the first place.

179. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Sigh…..

180. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Bloop lead off single for Johnson to lead off the 7th. No no over but Giants still up 4-0.

181. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I'm not comfy with T Clippard here…. But then again, I never am…Okay, so Adam LaRoche and Desi will hit hrs next time…. And we win 3-1….Book it.

182. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Going to the top of the 8th in Atlanta. Still 4-0.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I can't stand Clippard…

184. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Have I ever told you I HATE Tyler's penchent for 22 pitch innings?

185. David Proctor - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Clip can't find the strike zone.

186. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Correction. It's the top of the 7th in Atlanta.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

For all the good having C Tracy in the game, dJ should have PH for him with Rendon…And thank Tyler Clippard….

188. E - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Clip sucks.

189. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Clip can never find the SZ… His first 2 pitches are always balls… Up and high….I can not stand him….

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Please get a double play right here….

191. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Giants score again . 5-0 top of the 7th.

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Giants are doubling all over the field it seems….

193. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Nats offense is still in a deep funk…..two hits over 8 innings with 12 Ks. Thats pathetic. This is more that a slump, it's a fatal disease.

194. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Idk Phil… Masterson was kinda filthy tonight…

195. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Pirates score again to make it 3-0 over the used car salesman led Dodgers in the bottom of the 8th.

196. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Im done….

197. phil dunton - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Mrs B It seems like every pitcher, regardless of talent, is filthy again these hitless wonders. Even washed up Freddie Garcia of the Os shut out the Nationals on three hit and that may be the only game he has won all season.

198. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Hey, Clip–coulda done without the drama!

199. Drew - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Whew.

200. NatsLady - Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Clip doesn't get double plays. Strikeouts and flyouts.