Jun 15, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Just when you think it's safe to believe the Nationals are climbing out of their season-long funk, an undermanned and underperforming lineup comes back and rears its ugly head once again.
Last night's 2-hit effort against Justin Masterson and the Indians (ultimately resulting in a 2-1, walk-off loss) was about as weak an offensive showing as we've seen this year out of the Nationals, made all the more frustrating by the fact Gio Gonzalez's gem of a start was wasted thanks to lack of run support.
Not to completely take away from Masterson, who was brilliant himself over seven innings, but the Nationals didn't exactly put up a competitive fight against Cleveland's starter. The right-hander had two excellent pitches working all night: a heavy sinker that he kept pounding down and in on right-handed batters, and a sharp-bending slider that he kept mixing in on the other side of the strike zone.
But that's all Masterson had. He kept throwing the same two pitches throughout the game, and there didn't appear to be much (if any) adjustment taking place in the batter's box. At-bats in theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season