Jun 15, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Just when you think it's safe to believe the Nationals are climbing out of their season-long funk, an undermanned and underperforming lineup comes back and rears its ugly head once again.
Last night's 2-hit effort against Justin Masterson and the Indians (ultimately resulting in a 2-1, walk-off loss) was about as weak an offensive showing as we've seen this year out of the Nationals, made all the more frustrating by the fact Gio Gonzalez's gem of a start was wasted thanks to lack of run support.
Not to completely take away from Masterson, who was brilliant himself over seven innings, but the Nationals didn't exactly put up a competitive fight against Cleveland's starter. The right-hander had two excellent pitches working all night: a heavy sinker that he kept pounding down and in on right-handed batters, and a sharp-bending slider that he kept mixing in on the other side of the strike zone.
But that's all Masterson had. He kept throwing the same two pitches throughout the game, and there didn't appear to be much (if any) adjustment taking place in the batter's box. At-bats in theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?