Jun 17, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
PHILADELPHIA — Hello from Citizens Bank Park, and I must say it's actually nice (for a change) to say that. I'm back on full-time duty after my brief stint on the non-DL, and I've picked quite an intriguing matchup for my return to the beat: the opener of a Nationals-Phillies series with none other than John Lannan on the mound to face his old team for the first time.
Lannan, non-tendered by the Nats over the winter, signed a $2.5 million contract with Philadelphia but made only three starts before straining his left quadriceps muscle, an injury that cost him two months. You can only imagine his motivation tonight, both to make a strong return from the DL and to shut down his old ballclub (not to mention beat the guy who the Nationals essentially signed to take his spot: Dan Haren).
When Lannan looks at the opposing lineup, he won't see a whole lot of familiar names. Davey Johnson is going with a group even more depleted than usual tonight, with Adam LaRoche and Denard Span each out (in addition to Bryce Harper and Wilson Ramos). Span looked pretty hampered yesterday after he fouled a pitch off his right foot. LaRoche has no known injury, but he's been slumping a bit lately and he hasn't had a day off in quite some time.
Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark, and I'll also be appearing on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m., so be sure to tune in there and check back here…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
CF Jeff Kobernus
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers