Game 69: Nats at Phillies

Jun 17, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA โ€” Hello from Citizens Bank Park, and I must say it's actually nice (for a change) to say that. I'm back on full-time duty after my brief stint on the non-DL, and I've picked quite an intriguing matchup for my return to the beat: the opener of a Nationals-Phillies series with none other than John Lannan on the mound to face his old team for the first time.

Lannan, non-tendered by the Nats over the winter, signed a $2.5 million contract with Philadelphia but made only three starts before straining his left quadriceps muscle, an injury that cost him two months. You can only imagine his motivation tonight, both to make a strong return from the DL and to shut down his old ballclub (not to mention beat the guy who the Nationals essentially signed to take his spot: Dan Haren).

When Lannan looks at the opposing lineup, he won't see a whole lot of familiar names. Davey Johnson is going with a group even more depleted than usual tonight, with Adam LaRoche and Denard Span each out (in addition to Bryce Harper and Wilson Ramos). Span looked pretty hampered yesterday after he fouled a pitch off his right foot. LaRoche has no known injury, but he's been slumping a bit lately and he hasn't had a day off in quite some time.

Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark, and I'll also be appearing on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m., so be sure to tune in there and check back here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

CF Jeff Kobernus
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

Read more ยป

1. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

To make up for yesterday's loss, we need to sweep.Still waiting for Harper news

2. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

ALR sits against lefty LannEn, in favor of Marrero. I never thought we'd see Marrero again in a Nats uniform. He has to hit tonight, or else he ships when the Kid is back.

3. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

JD said…Mrs. B.It's a lefty/righty thing. I think it's an all right handed hitting lineup against Lannan.The trick in beating Lannan is he walks people, we have to let him.====Yeah, I was just about to say, hopefully facing Lannan tonight, he will walk a number of batters and we can make him pay…Lets Go Nats!Welcome back Mark!

4. natsfan1a - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Seconding the welcome back for Mark. Let's go, NATS! Let's go, BATS!!

5. Whack-a-Mule - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Mule eagerly awaits this match-up between the Nats and Phils; even more the pitching pairing. Haren will need a consistent performance, lest he (and we) get long-balled out of existence.This, of course, is Lannan's revenge opportunity; should he pitch reasonably well, the Nats could make him look like Sandy Koufax.In Mark's words, our line-up is indeed "unfamiliar". To us as well. C'est la guerre.

6. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

AL Players of the week? Jason Kipnis and Cory Kubel. Is it possible we aren't the sole reason for their success?

7. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Glad to see Marrero at 1B and not Tracy.

8. NatsLady - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Well, well, well. Davey listens to us. We said Span and ALR need a rest, and, lo, he gives them one. LOL. Yes, it's a platoon thing but ALR and Span have played against plenty of lefties…

9. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNSpan on why he keeps fouling pitches off that foot: "My swing is not good." Knows mechanics are out of whack.

10. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Marrero sucks, I'm not sure I like him playing even if LaRoche needs a rest.

11. karlkolchak - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Regarding Lannan and walks: because that's what this team does SO well, holding off and not swinging at bad pitches…oh wait. You know who is STILL second on this team in walks and only three off the lead? Harper. Oh, and the team leader in drawing free passes isn't playing tonight.

12. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Lol… DP, tell us how you really feel about Marero…NL – it was inevitable for DJ to give Span and AdLa a rest… Werth needs 1 too…. But yeah, we have been saying it for a couple days now…

13. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Mrs.B Why does Werth need a rest? he was just out for a month. Had a couple of hits yesterday too. I think Jayson needs to take the same approach to the plate he took last year leading off. I don't know how to break the news to everyone but Jayson isn't and won't be a power hitter.

14. bowdenball - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

karlkolchak-It's one thing to be a pessimist about the team. We're used to that around here. It's another to poop on legitimate topics of discussion just so you can share a negative statistic you saw on facebook or twitter today. It's a game thread, let people talk about the game for Christ's sake. We know the opposing pitcher. We know he sometimes struggles with control. People are allowed to point out that it might bear watching tonight.

15. jeeves - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I like Marrero. The kid has been so unlucky. Just trying to balance the book, David.

16. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

We have been shutout 8 times this season so far, including yesterday. I can guarantee you that this lineup will not score less than the A team scored yesterday. So why the heck not play some hungry players? Will Lannan see this as being patronized? Should really confuse the Phil. color guys. Wish I could hear them pronounce Kobernus, Rendon, Lombardozzi., Marrero.

17. phil dunton - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

18. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I would so love to see the younguns kick butt tonight. No veteran should ever truly be secure in his position. Maybe being chased by the lesser mortals will light a fire

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

JD – to me, Werth's wrist isn't quite right…. I'm a little concerned… Swami – we are going to have 14 hits and 8 runs…. Book it!

20. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Werth's wrist or hamstring? As for Span- hearing all this stuff about trouble with the foot and the mechanics, I am still miffed about him not being run for yesterday.

21. MicheleS - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

22. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Again- it's not like they can score less than zero runs.

23. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

phil dunton said… MARRERO fits right in….he's another strikeout machine. I am surprised Davey isn't resting Rendon again. Me: LOL. To funny. I'm just glad Tracy isn't in there if ALR needs to sit. I've been saying this for a while, this is by far the worse team I've seen getting the runner in from 3B will less than two out, yesterday was more proof. Back in the earlier 90's I routed for the Mets and though that worse team with less than two outs, but this team is amazingly worse at it.Sorry I'm a run-on sentence…

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Swami – naw I'm actually okay with the hamstring… I may have no cause for concern for the wrist either… But lord I feel like if the wind blows the wrong way, he is man down again!Didnt Jewitt stop him… No the better question is why didnt DJ PR for him… With Kobernus….

25. TimDz - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

26. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

That was my issue- foot already bad, not hitting, need a run desperately. Why not run Kobernus? Put Bernie in center- check on defense, put Kobernus in left- check just fine on defense, no worse on offense given Span's issue with mechanics. I just don't get it. Jewett might not have needed to hold up a not gimpy Kobernus. He knew Span WAS gimpy. So I am annoyed with Davey when he calls out players when he was not exactly on the ball himself.

27. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

TimDz said… Wow…20 plus comments and not one about Haren…Personally, I think he is due for a nice 7 inning performance…. Me: More LOL. Haren – good one…

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

mick said… agreed…Ghost knows his stuff June 17, 2013 2:51 PM Thanks for that and thanks for NatsLady doing that research. I think any time I have a slappy hitter up Eric I am going that route as they have a lower chance of a productive out also with the long flyball to tag up. It's all scenarios but I liked Davey's thinking with Lombo up with no outs yesterday. Unfortunately the hitters after him couldn't capitalize with the untimely doubleplay.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… JD, I'm thinking the same but I think a lot of it depends on how ALR plays the rest of the season. His LHP/LH splits are deteriorating, and in the very least they have to find a good complimentary player be it TyMo or someone else and sit ALR in those games. That should be an immediate goal and should help with getting ALR some needed rest. June 17, 2013 2:04 PM Nice to see Davey going with the Math. Even though I cringe with Marrero up there in ALR's place, if Marrero can get1 1 hit he has surpassed ALR's expectant return tonight since ALRs LHP slash is a .206 BA. The other bonus is ALR gets a much needed rest.

31. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Sounds like things are going well with Bryce (per Mark and others tweets) but no timetable for return/

32. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

"Nats head trainer Lee Kuntz not ready to give timetable for Harper, but if he passes each test, can ramp up quickly."Study hard, young Padawan! ๐Ÿ˜‰

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

MicheleS said… hmm..Interesting lineup. some injuries, some mental health days..Get Healthy! GO NATS, GO BATS! GYFNG!!! June 17, 2013 4:33 PM I was think more like lefty/lefty matchups even though Davey likes to calls those 'mental health days'.Time for Kobernus and Marrero to prove themselves because Tyler Moore is trying to show he is fixed in AAA and Harper is hopefully back within 7 to 10 days.Sounds like his Friday doc appointment went well. Swelling is now replaced by puffiness and I guess that is supposed to be an improvement. When the 'puffy' is gone he can go play at A- with his brother for rehab.

34. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

PS – Ghost, I agree re: Lombo and slappy hitters in general, increasingly so the later it gets in the game.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Well, add the new tweet that sounds like today's Doc visit went even better. Maybe returning in 7 days isn't overly optimistic.

36. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'm just gonna assume he'll be out all season and then I'll be thrilled if/when I'm wrong…

37. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Boz said in his chat today he heard the estimate was 2 weeks from the coritsone shot. That would point toward a return a week from today.

38. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

And this is one more week we need to at least maintain our distance from the Braves. We have been fortunate in that they have not gotten hot themselves but it's still nervous time when you are 6.5 games out.

39. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Well winning 2/3 from the Phillies would be a good start. I expect to lose today because Dan Haren, but we need to win the next two.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

JD, 9 head to head games vs the Braves left. You want no more than a 4.5 lead by them when you meet.The Nats will almost be back to full strength the next time they meet.

41. Section 222 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sounds like it's a good thing that Dr. Andrews talked some sense into Bryce and he agreed to get the cortisone shot. Can't wait to see him back on the field.

42. Charles - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

In the course of a baseball season, every team (except the really bad ones -usually) seems to go on a 10+ game tear. Let's hope the Nats start one soon.

43. Section 222 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Our three remaining series against the Braves are:Aug. 5-7 (H)Aug. 16-18 (A)Sept. 16-18 (H)Two weekday series at Nats Park and one must-see-TV in Atlanta over a weekend. I hope we're closer than 4.5 back by Aug. 5, since it's hard to imagine winning more than six out of those nine games.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The Braves don't skip Harvey or Gee this time. Curious that the Braves will go with Wood tomorrow vs. Harvey from what I'm hearing so not sure what that is all about.

45. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Ghost, Double header tomorrow. The Mets are pitching Wheeler in the other game. I think the Braves are pitching Maholm.

46. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Man, we better do well tonight. Otherwise, the negativity is going to pour out on Rizzo for not keeping Lannan. Ugh!

47. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Sonny, It's gonna pour our anyway. The neganons have lots of targets: Rizzo, Johnson, Spann,Tracy,Haren, ALR, Werth, Zim, the bat boy, the bus driver etc.

48. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

The clubhouse trainer, the clubhouse chef, that one guy who cut them off in traffic and had a curly W bumper sticker…

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Come on… Some stuff is warranted…

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Section222, with that schedule the Braves are 100% healthy now except the bullpen guys they lost and Beachy. I wonder who they get back in August as I think the Nats will basically face who they have now and possibly Beachy.The Nats will have the services of Bryce, Mattheus, Ramos by that time so it looks promising.

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

GoSM – I think me and Joe S are the only ones who think/know that the Nats will win the division….I so seriously believe that…

52. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Ghost, Are you sure about Ramos? The kid hasn't been able to stay healthy for 2 years. Any day now he'l receive the Nick Johnson memorial award for valor. We so need him too.

53. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Lannan really can dig down and show up when it matters, at least that was true last year. I hope we beat him, though. May Dan have a great night. I'm also wondering why we haven't heard about The Kid's check up today. Regardless, GYFNG!

54. Drew - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I hope the puffiness doesn't mean Bryce has to wear the Puffy Shirt.

55. sjb - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Janell, we did hear about Bryce today and things look good.Speaking of Legion of Doom…Kristen Berset just now on Channel 9…"….and the Nats fall below .500 once again."Lady, the Nats are now AT .500,Sounds like she'd fit right in on this board.

56. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Here is something on Harper. Sounds about as good as can be expected:http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/6/17/4439470/washington-nationals-injury-updates-news-on-bryce-harper-injured-left-kneeThese Nats are frustrating, but always interesting. You never know what you'll get from Haren. The same was true of Lannan. If John can't keep the ball down, or doesn't get the low strike call, the Nats bats could get well in a hurry.Time for Marrero to show something. Moore is only hitting .158 in AAA. Danny is already under Mendoza, in the .180s. Waiting for Harper.

57. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Ah! I see the news on Harper now. Yikes. But better than it was last week. "Cleared to walk on it" means a rehab assignment is not as close as we hoped. In the silver linings department, maybe these new guys can get their acts together so that when Bryce IS back, he's helping something really roll, instead of trying to do it himself.

58. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

59. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Ray is taking Dan Haren to town right now.

60. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Ray Knight had a good presentation on Haren's home runs given up and how they were all center cut on the plate. Very interesting.

61. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

David, do I own you a virtual drink? Probably close enough! :)

62. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

30-8 when we score 3 runs or more. ,789 . We need to score 4

64. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I paid up David.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Rendon was dancing with the Phanatic

66. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Should've kicked him

67. A DC Wonk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Laddie, is the .180 for Danny only including his AAA starts, or does that include his major league starts also? He's 2-for-11 in AAA (both singles), 2 BB, 5 K's, for a .182 BA.

68. Mark P - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Re: Tracy, the Nats don't win Saturday night without him. How quickly people forget.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Haren plus the Philly bandbox ,= double helping of maalox

70. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Marrero's time to shine… only 1st Round bust besides that pitcher who didn't sign.. I got faith

71. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Timothy Folk said…I seriously hate Haren.. should've gave Lannan two years till Giolito/Purke/Cole are ready..June 17, 2013 7:00 PMYou were right JD @ 5:47. It started even before the game started.

72. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Philly Phanatic 4 wheeler broke

73. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Werth vs Lannan: 8 for 24, 4 homers, 2 doubles, 6 RBI

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Carp suggesting Werth was up to shinsnigans with phanatic mobile

75. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

76. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Rendon starting off nicely

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Listening to C and D, again…. Go Nats! Lets do this!!!

78. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Give Ryan an Oscar

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

1 for 1 RISP

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Yesssssss….. Walks kill… Go J Werth!!!

81. Joe Seamhead - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

So glad Werth wasn't rested tonight.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Another double plsy with RISP 1 for 2

83. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Atleast we scored once?

84. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Desi hit that ball pretty hard, I don't fault him for that. It wasn't weak contact. Liked that first inning.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Progress….

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Lannan 19 pitches 10 balls. Only lead off batter didnt get at least 1 ball.

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

*sigh*Good Luck Haren…

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

After 4 bring in Ross O

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I'm hoping Haren goes 7…. I think he goes 7 with 2 runs…

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Phillies take strikes too. That is why they are below .500

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Big Cat and I call the 5th inning the Haren line

92. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Timothy Folk said…I'm sorry @SonnyG10 but the guy is horrible third or fourth highest paid on the team and the worst pitcher on the NL.. so yes it has begunJune 17, 2013 7:07 PMThat's ok, Timothy. You've got good reason not to like Haren.

93. Unknown - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

come on nats. i hate the phillies with every ounce of my being

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Kept ball down in the first. Needs to do it every inning.

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

*golf clap for Haren*

96. paul brandt - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

DP, agree re. Desi, he hit that ball hard, good 1st inning and man, Desi has a gun.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Unknown I hete the phillies with many ounces of my being . Save few for Braves Marlins and even one ounce for the Mets

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

No Nat should swing until Lannan can prove he can find the SZ….

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Good to see Kirk get a hit….

100. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Man, I miss Lannan. I don't even mean that in a Lannan vs Haren way, just for what he's done for the team over the years.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

What happened to suzuki running to third . Bunt hard but should have been closer.

102. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I didn't think Kobernus went. Didn't see a replay though.

103. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Dan Haren, WTH was that!

104. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Haren can't bunt. He's failed repeatedly. He can swing and hit, but he can't bunt.

105. paul brandt - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Haren has been one of our best hitters, what the heck was he doing?!

106. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Replay showed Kobernus went.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

1 for 4 RISP. Kobernus did what I said a couple posts back. Terrible recognition of the pitch causes a swing at a pitch no where close to a strike.Does Eck work on helping players recognize pitches? That should be one of his functions

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No doubt Kobernus swung. Couldnt identify the pitch obviously.

109. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

That was right down the middle. Jesus christ Haren.

110. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Is Haren for real? 2 strike count.

111. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Dan Haren….

112. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Well, there's another example for Knights chart! Phooey!!!

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The ball waste high over the plate. why is he keeping pitches up all year?

114. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I was hoping Haren could make it to the 4th before he started pitching batting practice

115. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

What the heck Daniel!?

116. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Smh… Fat pitch right down the middle like tee ball….

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

again the ball was just a little lower but right over the middle.

118. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Haren is lucky that ball to Brown wasn't put in the seats too.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

The one to young a little lower.All must be low.

120. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Um, Davey? You got Ohlendorf up in the bullpen yet?If not, why not?

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

The pitch to Brown was lower than the one to Howard.

122. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… No doubt Kobernus swung. Couldnt identify the pitch obviously. Small sample size, I just ain't seeing anything from him. If he can get it going he could be a good utility guy but I just haven't seen enough.Still laughing about the poster here that called him a Professional Hitter after his first 2 games.

123. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

You can see it in his face

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Has Haren thrown a first pitch strike yet?

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Candide said… Um, Davey? You got Ohlendorf up in the bullpen yet?______________________________I thought Ohlendorf earned another start and Dan earned a place as long-man.

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Lannan lost some weight. All that baby fat is gone.

127. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

GoSM, so did I, but what do I know?

128. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I feel bad for Haren. But as I eventually lost patience with Espi, I can feel it creeping up with Haren. At least he got Lannan out. THANK YOU RZIMM!

129. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What a play by Zimmerman.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Does RZim get a Web Gem on that? I will give him one.

131. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

That's my 3B!

132. Joe Seamhead - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

OK, haters, waiting for you Zimm commentary.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I'm really trying but I have no positive feelings about Haren….

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Great play zim. Now start hitting the damn ball@Ghost my general comment misidentifying pitches is team wide.

135. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

About Lannan on the mound, though: In the last inning, when we finally turned on the game, I saw this pitcher on the mound in a red hat and recognized him immediately. All those years of watching him, you really learn the posture. That set, with the slightly bent knees. John Lannan.

136. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

JaneB Haren is robbing the bank right now. I feel bad for him because his career seems over – guys are hitting moon shots off him – but at this moment I feel worse for Nats fans then I do for Haren.

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

MNF – that's what most of us wonder in terms of Eck and the philosophy….Sigh, come on Nats bats!

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The one Rendon didnt swing at was more hittable than strike 3. Had to swing at strike 3, but strike 2 was an easy one to drie to right.His approach generally good, but not this time.Do it right next time.Zim drive right up the middle.

139. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Good hit Zim

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Candide said… GoSM, so did I, but what do I know? You would think this is the last chance but our thinking doesn't matter. These BP fastballs that are getting crushed could be worse if the batters got each of them. Haren made 9 center-cut mistake pitches against Colorado and I think 5 or 6 of the 9 were hits and 2 of those were HRs. It could've been much worse. The start before that was 3 HRs by the Mets.

142. Knoxville Nat - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I have to say I always thought Lannan was an adequate #5 starter and didn't think he got the respect from Nats front office that he deserved. Certainly not at SS or a JZ but a solid five starter, good for 5.2 to 6.2 innings on most nights. Given how few complete games are thrown anymore what more could you ask of your fifth starter? Didn't care for the EJax signing and wasn't thrilled by the Haren signing. I think what hurt JL the most was having to be the #1 guy on some really bad teams and drawing comparisons to true aces. When your rotation is made up of guys like J.D. Martin, Ramon Ortiz and the likes it really is hard to stand out.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Swung at ball 4

144. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… GoSM/Candide – I doubt Harrn becomes a long reliever man…. They ain't paying 13 mil for that….Well they sure ain't paying him $13 mill to lead the league in home runs given up either.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Exactly what we were talking about on these 3-2 counts. Werth swings and fouls ball 4 but swings through the next pitch for a K.Awful.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM

See mis identification again cost us a walk then ends up a strike out.Seems this identification problem is what i want my hitting coach solving.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Exactly. Terrible identificstion up and down the line up.

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

No, Candide, their not…. Or shouldn't be…

149. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I'm not sure how the hitting coach helps you identify pitches other than watching film, which I know all of these guys do.

150. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Tim Lincecum was making $18 million last year and he got put in the bullpen for the postseason.When you want to win, check the egos and forget what you paid as it is spent.All you have to do is ask yourself, who gives you a better chance to win – Ohlendorf or Haren.

151. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Okay, that was a funny BMW commercial. :-)

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I liked that BMW commercial.

153. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

And tonight's guy who we make look like an all star pitcher is our friend John Lannan

154. BigCat - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Desi got a hanging change and a hanging curve

155. Timothy Folk - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Keep it competitive #15

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Knoxville Nat said… I have to say I always thought Lannan was an adequate #5 starter and didn't think he got the respect from Nats front office that he deserved.Where were you to agree with me the 100+ times I wrote that here?

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Owe you a drink Candide.

158. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I'll have a Guiness stout, MNF…

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

But it's not like Ohlendorf is great… He is serviceable too…In no way shape or form am I saying that Haren is better or in his corner (think everyone knows how I feel about him) but I don't think Ohlendorf is the answer either…I agree that Ohlendorf should have gotten the nod but I just don't see Haren being a long reliever right now… I count every Haren game as a loss, for what it's worth…

160. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

That's a ball Span gets. Sigh.

161. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Davey… you've seen this show before…

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

How did he hit a triple?

163. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I don't blame Kobernus there. He might have kept Haren's latest laser in the park.

164. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Anybody else feel a 3 run homer here?

165. BigCat - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Get haren out of there. He's got nothing

166. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

It's not Kobernus fault, that was a missile of the bat. But it's still a ball Span probably gets.

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

FP: Nats are 30-8 when they score 3 runs or more. Me: Nats are 25-1 when they socre 5 runs or more.

168. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I don't blame him either,Drew. He's not a ML caliber CFer.

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Get Haren out of there… I'm so sick and tired of this bum….

170. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Oh, boy. Haren has his work cut out for him now.

171. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Geez. Here comes Domonic 19-homer Brown.We've seen this horror movie before.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I don't blsim him, though I do agree Span catches it.

173. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

This is so painful to watch night after night. I wish I was stronger and could look away.

174. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Somebody needs to be warming up right now.

175. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Get Haren out of there… I'm so sick and tired of this bum….No matter how much you don't like him, he's not a bum.He's also Rizzo and Davey's problem.

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Dominic brown thanks

177. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sigh.

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

2 runs there seems like a lucky outcome but the RBIs come on a bleeder. Werth so close. Game of inches.

179. Unknown - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

huge play by the nats!!! gonna win this one.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Thanks Heron . Of course with Span in center it is already 3 outs so thanks Davey.

181. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Span is hurt, MNF.

182. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Great play by Espi and Zimm to catch Howard napping.Oh, wait, that wasn't Espi? My bad.Not Haren's typical meltdown. This seems to be more a slo-mo one.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Yeah, GoSM, we will disagree in Haren being a bum… Haven't seen anything to make me change my mind…But yeah he is Rizzo and DJ's issue… And one that we will have to suffer thru for the year…

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

You see who made that relay throw? ANTHONY RENDON! Ryan Howard out at home, right fielder Jayson Werth to second baseman Anthony Rendon to third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.

185. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

What the Nats bats need is someone like Haren pitching against them for a night.Still, doesn't matter if what you muster is 1 run. Bats have to wake up, don't they?

186. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Rendon better thank Zim for saving him an error on that throw.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sigh… Come on Nats bats….

188. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Mrs B, unless you are affectionately calling the Brooklyn Dodgers "da bums", calling any player a bum is uncalled for.It's just troll language.

189. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Manassas I don't like the job Davey is doing but he didn't hurt Span's foot

190. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Lets see 53 pitchers are eligible for ERA and Heran is 51st .how low do you have to be to becalled a bum?

191. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Idk I understand having Kobernus as the lead off batter…. Marerro will probably get sent back down when Harp comes back, at least that's what I'm thinking…

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Bernadina is a natural CF he probably catches that .

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Rendon better thank Zim for saving him an error on that throw. But did you see that bazooka arm? Yep, anothe nice play by RZim.

195. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Gutsy, though not great, throw by Rendon, and a great leap by Zim to corral it. Time for the bats to break out here against ol' buddy John Lannan. This is a hittable pitcher folks. No argument that he's finally figured it out, is actually a great pitcher blah blah blah like Masterson or Kluber. We need to light this guy up.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Joe Seamhead said… I feel bad for Dan Haren. Some of you may not agree, but the ball to center was a catchable ball. We were very lucky to get out of that with only giving up one run. If Jayson runs through that, rather then dives, he makes that catch. (Easy for me to say on both plays from my sofa!).Joe, that was a 2 run tally that inning and yes, that ball could've been caught by Span or Bernadina.

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

GoSM – and again, you and I will disagree on that… It's not troll language but if that's how you feel, hey, you are entitled to it…MNF – don't state facts….

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Both were just beyond catchable, but how about the walk to Rollins run 3

199. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

there you go Zook and Lombo! Eck is the man, notebook & all!

200. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Bum definition: See #4bumnoun1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.3. Informal. an enthusiast of a specific sport or recreational activity, especially one who gives it priority over work, family life, etc.: a ski bum; a tennis bum.4.Informal. an incompetent person.

201. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM

But back to the important thing… Zook is 2/2 for tonight… I'm glad to see him contributing….And Lombo with a double… We scored a run! Nice!

202. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Kobernus can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I think all of his hits (how many? 3?) have been on fastballs.

203. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Kobernus working his way back to Syracuse.He again cant identify a curve and swings as if the speed of a fast ball.

204. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

calling any player a bum is uncalled forOh please. All right, Is it ok to say he stinks? I think we can do without the language police here.

205. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It's Kobernus going back when Harp comes back. Marrero goes back when TyMo is ready.

206. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I realized what I written too late, Ghost. I still felt that though he has allowed an awful lot of contact, Haren was a victim of Kobernus' inexperience.

207. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Kobernus has this weird like swing to me….

208. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

"4.Informal. an incompetent person."Incompetent could describe alot of these guys including Haren, Kobernus, Tracy. I just wouldnt call them bums.

209. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Kobernus is a rally killer. Looks awful up there. No business leading off. Put in Bernie now.

210. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Brooklyn once had a very lovable team once refered to as the "bums".

211. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Wow a lot going on in that play lol…

212. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Good play Morrero

213. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Marrero just saved Zimm an error and made that athletic play I wished Laroche could make more often.That was nice!

214. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Nats 128 said… "4.Informal. an incompetent person." Incompetent could describe alot of these guys including Haren, Kobernus, Tracy. I just wouldnt call them bums.A is BJoe is ATherefore Joe is BA bum is an incompetent person.Haren is an incompetent person.Therefore Haren is not a bum???

215. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Now that was a unique way for Zim to avoid making an overhand throw!

216. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It's the 5th inning…. Wonder what DJ does here…. Does Haren stay or does he get pulled….

217. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Kobernus is a rally killer.

218. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Through 4 innings, Haren at 79 pitches and Lannan at 77.

219. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

In baseball bum is accepted language ever since the Brooklyn Dodgers.More PC action I can tell.A bum is a player playing significantly below tge median of his position.By my definition Haren is a bum, but he is our bum.

220. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Brooklyn once had a very lovable team once refered to as the "bums".You owe me a drink on that one! Obviously everyone thinks that calling Haren a bum is okay. I don't think saying someone stinks is as derogatory as calling someone a bum but that's me.I met him many times when he was with the Angels. I find him to be a really good guy who can't get it done. I said my thoughts last week, send him to the 'pen.

221. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Cmon its LAnnan. need 4 runs this inning.

222. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

FP: 3-0 green lightMe: No FP, that was a 2-1 count that should've been 3-0

223. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Lannan is getting some very generous outside calls that I didn't see Haren getting (although Haren hasn't really been as close).

224. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Lol… Okay, we are still talking about the definition of 'bum' lol good lord….

225. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

LaRoche could make that same play just as easily if he were right handed.

226. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Saying a baseball player is a bum is kind of old school and prestigious isn't it? I can just imagine a fan in an old baseball movie. — Ahhh, ya bum! Get a hit for once would'ya?!

227. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Baseball deffinition as Webster's so i dont equate the two.

228. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hey we have about a dozen guys playing like bums. Doesn't mean they aren't good people, doesn't mean they can't turn it around but they are bums at the moment.

229. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

How can Fp say ZImm seeing it big

230. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I think someone here said the all time gopher ball pitcher for one season was Bert Blyleven at 50. Bert ended up being an All star and won a WS of course. Haren is on pace to break this record, assuming he lasts the season. What would make this impressive is that back in Bert's time, starting pitchers went at least 8-9 innings no matter how bad they pitched. In Haren's era, pitchers average 6-7 innings and in his case he averages about 5 innings. I say let this no heart, over paid clown pitch on, at least Nats would have some type of all time recordnow how is that for the glass half full, LOL

231. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

GoSm – we can agree to disagree… I've moved on… I'm actually laughing at Candide now…But yeah MNF – he is ours until the end of the year…

232. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Only ahead of the Mets and Marlins hitting .233 as a team. Sorry bums applies.

233. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

234. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

ALR has made plenty of athletic plays at first to save Zim from errors.

235. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Ghost, as a compromise, how bout a "smelly hobo?"

236. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I figure Lannan be down 6 3 by now and out of the game. Werth swings at ball 4. BUMS!!!!

237. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM

listening to Charlie and Dave…you can hear and feel the disgust in their voices for Haren…you can also tell they really liked Lannan, they bring up his 4-1 last season and the Braves game. Dave wants so bad to say Haren is by far the worst move management made since the team has been in DC… I think Albert Haynesworth prepared better than Haren…well, maybe that's a stretch

238. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Candide said: What SCNatsFan said. I have it on good authority (my mother) that I'm a wonderful person. But put me on the field with these guys and calling me a bum would be a kindness.=====You ain't the only one… My baseball career lasted all of 2 years and 1 year, I couldn't even smell the field…. Just terrible…But yeah bum is a baseball term… But whatever.

239. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Yah MrsB, you are not a troll on the bums call by the democracy here. I was wrong. I just would never say that to someone's face but I would have no problem telling Espinosa that he stinks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

240. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

How quickly before Revere is standing on 2nd with a steal?

241. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I said last week, Lannan was on a mission to make statement…I was of course ridiculed and some poster actually said we would knock Lannan out by the 3rd inning… show them John, show them what a mistake they made signing one of the worst MLB free agent pitchers I have seen in 25 years

242. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Oh lord… Haren is still out there for the 5th…. Jessssssssus!I agree Mick – I don't hear anything positive from C and D about Haren…Oh, ghost, I got call a f'ing terrible bum to my face… I couldn't do nothing but cry becuz I was… Couldn't hit, couldn't catch…. Uhm bad memories…

243. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

That answered your question, Ghost.

244. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Mick, Went to Cleveland for all 3. Now loosing to Lannan. Just cant believe how bad this team is. Harren stinks, but the hitting or lack of by the middle of the order is laughable.

245. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

paul brandt said… Ghost, as a compromise, how bout a "smelly hobo?" That works!

246. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Signs of impending doom:Tonto goes to town.Yeoman Smith disappears behind the Styrofoam rock.Haren pitches the fifth.(We all need a fifth.)

247. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Wow I wish we had traded with the Twins for a lead off center fielder who could steal. Oh yeah we did.

248. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…I just would never say that to someone's face… Well, of course not. That would be incredibly rude. When I'm at the park, I NEVER boo our guys or call them names.…but I would have no problem telling Espinosa that he stinks. ๐Ÿ˜‰"You stink, Espi. But you're not a bum.""Well, gee, thanks for that, Ghost. Want me to autograph that ball for you?"

249. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Candide has the post of the day so farlet me add the obvious5. Dan Haren

250. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Haren strike to balls is 46-41….

251. SonnyG10 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Man, did you see that pick by Marrero at first? Maybe he's not such a big defensive dropoff as I thought!

252. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

SCNatsFan, Revere is a disaster in CF. He's been a headache for the Phillies all year. The grass isn't always greener.

253. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

254. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Lannan was an original Nat. At one time he was our number 1. He battled and battled and saved our bacon a bunch. Rizzo not only dumps a good 5th starter but dumps a guy who truly had heart and wanted to be a NAT. Way to go SNYDER/RIZZO

255. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Secret wasian man I hear you my brother, lol

256. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… LaRoche could make that same play just as easily if he were right handed. That is a great point. Big advantage on a glove side catch. Still very athletic play.

257. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

HBO free tonight. Gnight all

258. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

this is painfull

259. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Remember when Dan Haren would sprinkle a few good starts in with his meltdowns? What happened to those? We haven't had a good game in forever.

260. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Terrible….

261. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ok he's not a bum he's just washed up

262. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Haren can shake his head all he wants. 4 runs over 5 innings just isn't going to work most nights Dan.

263. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

ohlendorf should get Harens starts from now on. LANNAN laughing his A sss off.

264. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

SCNatsFan said…Candide go early to get Danny's autograph it gets cold awfully early in upstate NYDon't tell me. I lived 15 years in the Finger Lakes.

265. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I'm not saying revere is better I'd just like to see span steal more

266. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Secret wasian man so Nats paid 2 million more for Haren… 8 mil more than what they would have paid LannanI would say this would be like investing into a certain ship crossing the Atlantic in April 1912 or the stock market in 1929

267. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

DP – was his last good game against the O's?

268. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I'm this close (holds fingers a hair's breadth apart) from swearing off watching any game that Haren pitches if I haven't already bought tickets.

269. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Candide, notice the ๐Ÿ˜‰ for sarcasm. I shook the hornets nest once again.Take your shots and have fun. I'm out of here.

270. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

wonder what the over/under boys have for Haren, I bet the under boys are a bit nervous

271. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Well… The good thing is, we are only down 2 runs… And into their BP….Bad news is Haren has given up 4 runs in 5 innings… Terrible…

272. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Sorry, Ghost – wasn't trying to rile you up, and I caught the winky smiley.

273. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Well, I wasI wondering how long Cholly would let Lannan go. Got my answer. Stutes pitched well against us earlier in the season, didn't he?

274. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Had Lannan stayed here he'd probably be 4-9 too, the only difference is the money wasted but it isn't my money. Thinking Lannan is good is all romantic and everything but he wasn't the answer.

275. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

SCNatsFan 4-1 last year…when Lannan is healthy he is good..and he clearly out pitched and out classed Haren tonight and embarrassed the Nats organization

276. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Have to hope the Phooly bullpen screws up.

277. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Lannan would likely outperform Haren, because Haren has been so bad. But I don't think Lannan would be exactly "good."

278. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Out pitching Haren is no feat. And watch lannans numbers by the end they won't be impressing anyone

279. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Didnt Rizzo think to himself who would give the Nats the best chance in a division game.Olendorf vs HarenSeems Olendorf made more sense for a chance at a W. This is 3 bad starts in a row by Haren. Thats no longer inconsistency. This is just bad.

280. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

F.P. and Carp were talking about what could be done to improve the Nats' hitting. A suggestion comes from classical literature: As they were chatting thus together they arrived at Portsmouth. The shore on each side the harbor was lined with a multitude of people, whose eyes were steadfastly fixed on a lusty man who was kneeling down on the deck of one of the men-of-war, with something tied before his eyes. Opposite to this personage stood four soldiers, each of whom shot three bullets into his skull, with all the composure imaginable; and when it was done, the whole company went away perfectly well satisfied."What the devil is all this for?" said Candide, "and what demon, or foe of mankind, lords it thus tyrannically over the world?"He then asked who was that lusty man who had been sent out of the world with so much ceremony. When he received for answer, that it was an admiral."And pray why do you put your admiral to death?""Because he did not put a sufficient number of his fellow creatures to death. You must know, he had an engagement with a French admiral, and it has been proved against him that he was not near enough to his antagonist.""But," replied Candide, "the French admiral must have been as far from him.""There is no doubt of that; but in this country it is found requisite, now and then, to put an admiral to death, in order to encourage the others to fight."

281. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I'd rather Marerro be sent back down when Harp comes back…

282. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Uh why is Haren still in?

283. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

this is sad, the 1971 Wash Senators who lost 93 games have a higher team batting average than our Nats

284. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Wait… Haren is really still out there?????

285. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What SCNatsFan said @8:51. Lannan is a just ok No. 4 or 5 pitcher. Rizzo hoped Haren would be much better than that. He hasn't been.FP's commentary about what it takes to get out of the hitting slump we're in is getting tiresome. I like him much better when he's being humorous.

286. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Haren is at 108 pitches…. And only the top of the 6th….

287. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Section 222 said…I like him much better when he's being humorous.Me too, but it helps to have something to laugh about.

288. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Correction – bot of the 6th…

289. baseballswami - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM

So is this game tonight all about baseball karma? I hate it that we only scored two against a guy who is considered back of the rotation , on his first start back. But I cannot wish any ill against John Lannan. I just can't. That being said, I hope we get to their bullpen. We let Lannsn go and signed Haren at how much more money? I think he might owe us a little stab tonight. And our offense still sucks, except for those 7,8 hitters.

290. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Danny Espinosa struck out for the second time today and spiked his helmet.

291. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

"Uh why is Haren still in?"Bottom of there order? Or may be if they put Olendorf in he looks great and then the fanbase really gets ticked of.

292. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM

"Danny Espinosa struck out for the second time today and spiked his helmet."Kobernus or Espy. Espy is in AAA.

293. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

This was one of Haren's better outings and his ERA STILL went up. Was 5.70 at game time; his ERA for this game is 6.00.

294. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Proctor as critical as I've been about Danny had not to feel for the guy. He sees Rendon as the flavor of the month and he's on the farm continuing to flounder. Will have to be awful strong mentally to beat this.

295. Knoxville Nat - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Why bat Tracy for Haren instead of Bernadina? Batting the Shark allows you to play him in CF and bat the next pitcher in the lead off slot after Kobernus hits here in the 7th. I don't understand this move at all.

296. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We are going to score 3 runs in the 8th….

297. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Knoxville Nat said…Why bat Tracy for HarenHeck, let Haren bat for himself, then bring in the new pitcher in the 7th. Haren's a better hitter than Tracy any more.

298. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said…We are going to score 3 runs in the 8th….Can I have some of what you're drinking?

299. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I sincerely hope our pitchers start working on holding runners…

300. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

watching this team try to hit is like a colonoscopy. It Hurts and you feel cheap and violated.

301. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Yeah Candide…. *virtually passing the patron*

302. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Mick you need work on your math. Haren not near on pace to break record for homes 18 homers in 69 games.That would end up giving 42 homers.

303. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

LaRoche, Span and Solano are the only remaining bench players.

304. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Im not on Haren tonight. 2 Runs in this park against Lannen is terrible. NO power threat on this team. Its killing us. Yes I will beat the MORSE horse. "Take on me" come back to us at trade deadline MIKEY. PLEASE

305. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Another great outing for Krol.

306. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Krol… me likes.

307. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I really, really, really like Abad and Krol….

308. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

K-rol didnt K any one that inning and it doesnt matter. WHIP again is a big 0.

309. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

How were Haren's 6 innings "solid", Bob and FP.

310. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

According to Carpenter, an ERA of 6 for this game represents a comeback for Haren….

311. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

A game ERA of 6.00 is solid to Carp and FP. They cant be for real.

312. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

"Haren … six solid innings…"Jeeze, Carp and FP… four runs in six innings is an ERA of 6.00.

313. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Haren's outing — 4 runs in 6 innings — is a positive? Boy, the bar is pretty darn low I guess.

314. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

If the Nats are down 4-2, but Rendon is up, is that fortuitous?

315. JaneB - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Ok. I'm watching The Voice instead of the game (I have a friend in the finals, I am proud to say). But I keep checking back. And i've decided to just love these guys the way I did in 2011. I'll be glad when they win, get mad at the unps who call bogus balks and squeeze the zone, and defend them at the ballpark when people start calling them names. It's not the season I was hoping they'd have. But there will be little victories along the way. That's where I am.

316. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Holy crap, everyone owes David Proctor a drink.

317. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Candide and Section 222, I like my drinks cold.

318. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Guess not.

319. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Coming back from 2 runs down is like climbing Mt. Everest for this team. The Denard Span trade sucked all the life out of this line-up.

320. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I do believe I predicted Phils will over take us in 2nd by Wed night….this is sad

321. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Sorry, 128 – I already credited a drink to David Proctor.

322. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Ryan is seeing the ball well tonight…. Werth is gonna bring him home!!!!*fingers crossed*

323. ehay2k - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Ahh, I love me some Eck! Another soft tosser – a guy for whom the Nats should have a pretty good scouting report – makes them look hapless in a hitter's park. Oh, did I mention that this particular pitcher historically not fared well in this park?No matter, I'm sure Eck will figure out how to coach 'em up. When the entire class is failing, it's a bit hard to put all the blame on the students.

324. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I can tell you how Haren was solid. Had either kirbinus or Werth makes. Catch in the third and it is 2-2.Only gave up 1 homer.Talk about stretching. I stretched for Carp

325. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Werth checks his swing for sure.

326. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

3rd base: where Nationals go to die…..

327. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

That was 3 atbats with 3-2 counts for Werth and each time makes outs.

328. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Okay, let's keep it going…

329. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yessss….. Okay… Lets get another one here!!!!

330. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

here we go! man, that's hard to say with this offense, come on, this is the Phillies!! we can win this game.

331. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I love the way about five of us immediately jumped on Carpenter about Haren's having a good outing. It was like bam bam bam bam bam…..

332. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

"William O. Douglas Loeffler said… 3rd base: where Nationals go to die….."Do you need a towel to wipe that egg off of your face!

333. Grandstander - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Innings 1-3 – 86 runsInnings 4-6 – 103 runsInnings 7-9 – 44 runs

334. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

At least we have our drinking game. Section128, I set you up to record the drink you owe DP. Better luck next time!

335. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Roll that soft ground ball Adam

336. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

La Roche brandishing the big bat there….

337. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

ALR…pathetic

338. DJB - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

339. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Nats pinch hitting is as good as always. 0-3 so far!

340. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I can't stand to watch this any more. Good night all.

341. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Dang… That may have been our last chance considering who is coming up next inning….

342. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Because we all still like him, no one want to say that Harper is responsible for a lot of this. That was a really, really stupid escapade stealing that base. And this mysterious injury is just bizarre. If his body truly heals this slowly then the best we can hope for from this kid is Freddie Lynn's career.

343. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

DJB said…I'm sorry, but given the run differential and total runs scored, this team will settle between 5 and 8 games below .500 when all is said and done. The outcome of this game doesn't really matter. It's pretty settled given the sample size.Since it's already decided, why watch the games? The result is set in stone, right?

344. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM

What ball to center? I saw Werth almost catch one in right and why were all those guys on base? Haren had the bases loaded. Good things tend not to happen to pitchers who wantonly load the bases.

345. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Section 222, I didnt see a file save for the drink counter. Hope it worked.

346. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

nats 128, I would gladly have egg on my face every time the Nats drive a runner in from 3rd. did you happen to see the game yesterday?

347. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Clippard pitching balls over the middle to be lined into the outfield.

348. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Clip is lucky Brown and Howard topped those balls or those are way outta there for HRs.

349. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM

What difference does it make, F.P. The Nationals can't score two runs in the 9th. The best we can hope for is losing in extra innings, realistically. Seriously, Werth and La Roche seem ineffective. Desmond seemed to peak last year. Zimmerman isn't the player he was. Span is a bust. Morse is gone. Ramos can't stay healthy.That leaves us with Bryce who never plays and Rendon and four really good pitchers who lose 4-3 and 3-2.

350. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

ok, I don't have Clip's stats in front of me but it seems like lately, he is giving up 2-3 hits per inning and throwing 30+ pitches…am I wrong & then he somehow miraculously escapes…cue up K right there…weird.

351. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Took 16 pitches to get firsy out.

352. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

This team needed 60 homers from La Roche and Zimmerman this year to stay on par. How likely is it that we get that many?

353. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Manassas, I don't think your post at 9:24 is that much of a stretch. Werth's was a tough play that maybe he shouldn't have dove for, but the ball Kobernus missed was catchable by a Span, or Bernadina. That play was deadly for Haren. Either ball gets caught, Haren would have only given up 2 runs for his outing. He still had too many balls hit hard against him and also benefited from a couple of great defensive plays.

354. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Papelbon has not had many save opportunities so he better watch out.

355. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

How about that ball by Ryan Howard? Who could have caught that one or the 17 others that he dispenses like candy.

356. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Clippard lives on that ledge.

357. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

After yesterday, I couldn't muster any apprehension for Clippard's tightwire act. I honestly don't believe in this team's batters.

358. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

128, looks like it worked. You're on the board. Congrats! Including tonight, Clipp has made 30 appearances already this year. Looks like he's given up a hit or a walk in 17 of them. Yet somehow, his ERA coming into tonight was 2.57. He's also thrown 17 or more pitches in 17 of his appearances. I wonder if he has the lowest ERA for average pitches per inning of any reliever. The number of jams he's created and escaped from must be really high.

359. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

The ball to center started the whole provlem. Kobernus didnt catch a difficult hit, that most agree Span or Bernadina would have caught. Without that the inning is over before the hit to right.

360. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM

How many pitches this inning?

361. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hoping Zuke and Lombo give an encore performance… Ya know 2 doubles…

362. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Why would the fans stay. They've seen us hit.

363. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Sorry FP, Suzuki is not really who I'd like to have leading off the inning…

364. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Lombo with 2 hits and still only a .240 obp.

365. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Quit hitting the ball at Revere.

366. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Bob said "…and it will be up to Chad Tracy"…good night all.

367. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Jayson Werth promised 120 victories. Don't take him to the racetrack with you.

368. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Well… Gosh, what a disaster by Haren today…. Lets win the next 2 and win the series….

369. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

As I predicted as long as Haren only gives up 2 runs we win.Pitchers need to realize we arent hitting so they cant let other tea hit either.Not a good formula, but it is what it is.

370. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Tracy missing hittable fastballs. Kind of the story of his season, isn't it?

371. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

HOLY CRAP. CHAD TRACY IS BACK.

372. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I am in shock

373. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

So long to that W for John Lannan!!!!!

374. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Hahaha. Well, there's a post I'd like to have back!

375. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

OMFG!!!!!!

376. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

omg chad i thank you for making me eat my words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!paul brandt is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

377. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I thought that was a pop up! Ha!

378. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

WOW!

379. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I was about to announce a encore for Tracy, when people were talking abou zook and Lombo encore

380. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Bryce Harper โ€@Bharper3407 11sHELL YEA!!! Chad Tracy doin it! #GoonSquad #NatsBryce is excited.

381. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Wow! Flying pigs! Again.

382. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Sec 222 you owe yourself a drink

383. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I can't believe it….. OMFG!!!!!!

384. Smatt1001 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Chad Tracy, seriously?!? Goon Squad is back

385. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

We should be jumping up and down, but yesterday's game was so crushing that my son and I just still here placid, prepared for the inevitable. Prove me wrong, Nats, please.

386. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

That's what they get for having that silly bandbox of a ballpark!

387. Steamer - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

How about that Chad Tracy

388. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Now a shutdown inning.

389. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Too bad, LOL, but no "W" for Lannan.

390. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Mark had to revoke his Instant Analysis! Get to work on a new ending Mark!

391. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Powers out what happened

392. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

William O, let's hope you aren't prophetic with your "best we can do is lose in extras" statement.

393. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Let's just hope the new ending doesn't say walk-off. Come on Drew/Abad

394. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Let's face it. I have been watching baseball for a long time but I have seldom, if ever, seen such a pathetic display of baseball as I saw by the Nationals yesterday. It looked like the players had no interest in the game.

395. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

SWM, Chad Tracy hit a home run to tie the game off Papelbon.

396. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

give Chad some credit, i didn't…two key hits…heck, this means Davey will have him hitting 4th and playing short-stop by the end of the week! haha.

397. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

our bench and backups suckEvan Gattis…6 for 8 with 11 rbis pinch hittingNats pinch hitters have 2 rbis all year (all by tracey)no jordan schaffer, no Gattis, minor league callups except rendon are marginal hittersteam not put together well expecting to not have injuries and having bernadina, tymo, lombo, kobernus, solano, kobernus, brown… as your guys for the inevitable ph or injury or replacement.but all is well..the mighty tracey has done it again.

398. Whynat - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Maybe Davy knew what he was doing when he gave chad that start the other day?

399. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Sweet Fancy Moses!!!!! Lol… Bwahahahahahah…. Really Mark!?!?!?!?We are winning this game in the 10th….

400. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Yeah was hoping it was a 2 run dinger. Lets go boys

401. Christopher Cohen - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Wow!! Tracy crushes a ball and it gets caught by Ryan Howard for an out. Then he hits a glorified pop up for a game tying homer on 0-2 with 2 outs in the 9th. What a strange sport!

402. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

How can we get another run though? Hopefully Davey and Eck are putting their heads together as we type, plotting….

403. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

According to the Glossary, that was Mark's first Sweet Fancy Moses since Moore's and Bernadina's back to back homers on 5/28. This was almost as unbelievable.

404. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Need a doubleplay.

405. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Damn revere on again, watch him steal. Hope I am wrong.

406. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Be a big lift to,win this thing. C'mon guys

407. A DC Wonk - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Ya know . . . a lot of folks were wondering why Tracy started on Friday. Davey said "to get some at bats". Most here scoffed.But, you know, getting some at bats helps keep you from getting too rusty.Wow — 0-2 with two out. Gotta love that!

408. JaneB - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I'm grateful to Chad tonight whatever happens.

409. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Kind of sad that Drew Storen can't be brought into the game because he can't hold runners on base.

410. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Revere had that base stolen if JRoll does foul the pitch off.

411. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM

runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs.phils should catch Nats fever.

412. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Sigh…. Wondering why we didnt walk Rollins…

413. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Come on, Abad!

414. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM

.143! This guy would fit in on our team.

415. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM

well done fernando.

416. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Dominic Brown is trouble.

417. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Damn.

418. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

wow…rbi with runners in scoring position…who'd thunk it

419. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Why didn't they walk him?

420. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

He didn't even hit that hard. Unbelievable.

421. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Anyone surprised?

422. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Killer..

423. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Why not Soriano? Another piece of dead wood on this team. Pathetic. Just lose in 9.

424. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

What difference does it make? If Harper is sitting till after the All Star break then the season is over anyway. That isn't Legion of Doom, that is simply the way it is. Next year, we should be good.

425. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

damn…brutal.

426. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:21 AM

i'm changing the definition of Nats wins to scoring 3 runs or more….Nats win!!!with our replacement players, it's a small miracle

427. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM

wish we bought Fielder

428. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Abad gave up 3 singles all with 2 strikes.Why a fast ball with 2 strikes. Strange call as FP said . Friday night Abad screwed up the 9th too so he needs not to be in game in the 9th

429. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Whether its hitting or pitching or errors….. This team can always mange a way to manufacture a loss. Please step down Davey please.

430. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I don't know why any of you think this team has a chance to win the division or get the wildcard with Harper sitting out until after the All Star game at the earliest.

431. Scott Margenau - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Bummer

432. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM

yea, why Abad over Storen or Soriano? I like Abad getting the experience tho…feel like I am watching the Caps in the play-offs over the last 20+ years…they find ways to lose.

433. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Why does Davey not play the players who give you the best chance to win? Another BUM player who Davey keeps running out there.

434. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM

what is Davey supposed to do? The big off-season pick-ups were Denard Span with 0 homers and a .310 obp and Dan Haren, and Soriano who is decent but never gets in because we are always losing.

435. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM

not all surprised SC, a-BAD is a joke..Davey this season is one of MLB's worst managers,instead of putting his team in a position to succeed, he has constantly put them in positions to fail.where was Drew, why aBAD? do not want to even hear Davey's BSsick to my stomach with this manager

436. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Wasian…BINGO!!!! he evaluated them in spring trainingDavey picked and wanted these players… he is a terrible scout and has become a joke now..I fell bad for him because he once was a very good manager

437. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Storen has been horrible all year. What was he going to do?

438. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Amen Mick. Davey has been nothing short of terrible this year. You had the momentum and you bring in another AA player to pitch. And then when he struggles you just sit there on your tired butt and do nothing. Please step down Davey.

439. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM

mick, who would you have face Brown in that situation? a right-hander? i doubt it…have to think Abad faces Brown there anyway & that's the right call…would like to hear Davey's thinking but lefty on lefty is the right call there, just didn't work out.

440. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM

William o . Briing in Soriano. Then get them in the 10 th.

441. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Then why does not Davey send Drew down???? I am sick of Davey's passive aggressive answers and lies about playerss..Yes, Davey andht rizzo are not straight shooters, both of them are full of crapI got razzed for saying Nats will lose 8 straight…there is still time…I am on record…Nats will lose at least 85 games…Rizzo will destroy this team in 2014

442. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM

No no guys. You need experience in those situations. You have to play in the moment. You use the best guy to keep it tied. You don't bring in some inexperience guy who just blew one 2 days ago.

443. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Paul…DREW, that is who…either he has it or he does not, Davey needs to come clean

444. Depot Master - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I am not giving up. When Harper is back, I would love to see: Werth, Span, Desmond, Harper, Zimmerman, Laroche, Catcher, Rendon, Pitcher. Bet it never happens but it would mean you are never more than one player away from a guy that can hit it hard and regular.

445. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM

the larger point is being missed here…they lost, Haren gave up 4 runs, they are under 500how the hell can anyone defend this baseball and this manager????b has becomeabad is not good period… yes maybe he was his only option, but the fact that the nats were in that situation says it all about how bad this club has become

446. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

look, Rendon, Desi and Harper and 4 good starting pitchers give us hope for 2014 and beyond, I keep telling myself that.however, Werth and Zim and ALR have aged… so that means more holes to fill, Rizzo, if anything may screw things up even moreRiz

447. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

mick, thx – was just curious who you thought. what did Davey say? I turned it.

448. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM

2013 is done as far as post season…its time to play the young guys

449. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I will say this..I am very happy for John Lannan.. he made jack asses out of Davey and Rizzo, I bet Lannan beats us again3rd place and falling by Wed