Game 69: Nats at Phillies

Jun 17, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — Hello from Citizens Bank Park, and I must say it's actually nice (for a change) to say that. I'm back on full-time duty after my brief stint on the non-DL, and I've picked quite an intriguing matchup for my return to the beat: the opener of a Nationals-Phillies series with none other than John Lannan on the mound to face his old team for the first time.

Lannan, non-tendered by the Nats over the winter, signed a $2.5 million contract with Philadelphia but made only three starts before straining his left quadriceps muscle, an injury that cost him two months. You can only imagine his motivation tonight, both to make a strong return from the DL and to shut down his old ballclub (not to mention beat the guy who the Nationals essentially signed to take his spot: Dan Haren).

When Lannan looks at the opposing lineup, he won't see a whole lot of familiar names. Davey Johnson is going with a group even more depleted than usual tonight, with Adam LaRoche and Denard Span each out (in addition to Bryce Harper and Wilson Ramos). Span looked pretty hampered yesterday after he fouled a pitch off his right foot. LaRoche has no known injury, but he's been slumping a bit lately and he hasn't had a day off in quite some time.

Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark, and I'll also be appearing on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m., so be sure to tune in there and check back here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

CF Jeff Kobernus
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

To make up for yesterday's loss, we need to sweep.Still waiting for Harper news

2. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

ALR sits against lefty LannEn, in favor of Marrero. I never thought we'd see Marrero again in a Nats uniform. He has to hit tonight, or else he ships when the Kid is back.

3. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

JD said…Mrs. B.It's a lefty/righty thing. I think it's an all right handed hitting lineup against Lannan.The trick in beating Lannan is he walks people, we have to let him.====Yeah, I was just about to say, hopefully facing Lannan tonight, he will walk a number of batters and we can make him pay…Lets Go Nats!Welcome back Mark!

4. natsfan1a - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Seconding the welcome back for Mark. Let's go, NATS! Let's go, BATS!!

5. Whack-a-Mule - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Mule eagerly awaits this match-up between the Nats and Phils; even more the pitching pairing. Haren will need a consistent performance, lest he (and we) get long-balled out of existence.This, of course, is Lannan's revenge opportunity; should he pitch reasonably well, the Nats could make him look like Sandy Koufax.In Mark's words, our line-up is indeed "unfamiliar". To us as well. C'est la guerre.

6. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

AL Players of the week? Jason Kipnis and Cory Kubel. Is it possible we aren't the sole reason for their success?

7. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Glad to see Marrero at 1B and not Tracy.

8. NatsLady - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Well, well, well. Davey listens to us. We said Span and ALR need a rest, and, lo, he gives them one. LOL. Yes, it's a platoon thing but ALR and Span have played against plenty of lefties…

9. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNSpan on why he keeps fouling pitches off that foot: "My swing is not good." Knows mechanics are out of whack.

10. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Marrero sucks, I'm not sure I like him playing even if LaRoche needs a rest.

11. karlkolchak - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Regarding Lannan and walks: because that's what this team does SO well, holding off and not swinging at bad pitches…oh wait. You know who is STILL second on this team in walks and only three off the lead? Harper. Oh, and the team leader in drawing free passes isn't playing tonight.

12. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Lol… DP, tell us how you really feel about Marero…NL – it was inevitable for DJ to give Span and AdLa a rest… Werth needs 1 too…. But yeah, we have been saying it for a couple days now…

13. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Mrs.B Why does Werth need a rest? he was just out for a month. Had a couple of hits yesterday too. I think Jayson needs to take the same approach to the plate he took last year leading off. I don't know how to break the news to everyone but Jayson isn't and won't be a power hitter.

14. bowdenball - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

karlkolchak-It's one thing to be a pessimist about the team. We're used to that around here. It's another to poop on legitimate topics of discussion just so you can share a negative statistic you saw on facebook or twitter today. It's a game thread, let people talk about the game for Christ's sake. We know the opposing pitcher. We know he sometimes struggles with control. People are allowed to point out that it might bear watching tonight.

15. jeeves - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I like Marrero. The kid has been so unlucky. Just trying to balance the book, David.

16. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

We have been shutout 8 times this season so far, including yesterday. I can guarantee you that this lineup will not score less than the A team scored yesterday. So why the heck not play some hungry players? Will Lannan see this as being patronized? Should really confuse the Phil. color guys. Wish I could hear them pronounce Kobernus, Rendon, Lombardozzi., Marrero.

17. phil dunton - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

18. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I would so love to see the younguns kick butt tonight. No veteran should ever truly be secure in his position. Maybe being chased by the lesser mortals will light a fire

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

JD – to me, Werth's wrist isn't quite right…. I'm a little concerned… Swami – we are going to have 14 hits and 8 runs…. Book it!

20. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Werth's wrist or hamstring? As for Span- hearing all this stuff about trouble with the foot and the mechanics, I am still miffed about him not being run for yesterday.

21. MicheleS - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

22. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Again- it's not like they can score less than zero runs.

23. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

phil dunton said… MARRERO fits right in….he's another strikeout machine. I am surprised Davey isn't resting Rendon again. Me: LOL. To funny. I'm just glad Tracy isn't in there if ALR needs to sit. I've been saying this for a while, this is by far the worse team I've seen getting the runner in from 3B will less than two out, yesterday was more proof. Back in the earlier 90's I routed for the Mets and though that worse team with less than two outs, but this team is amazingly worse at it.Sorry I'm a run-on sentence…

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Swami – naw I'm actually okay with the hamstring… I may have no cause for concern for the wrist either… But lord I feel like if the wind blows the wrong way, he is man down again!Didnt Jewitt stop him… No the better question is why didnt DJ PR for him… With Kobernus….

25. TimDz - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

26. baseballswami - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

That was my issue- foot already bad, not hitting, need a run desperately. Why not run Kobernus? Put Bernie in center- check on defense, put Kobernus in left- check just fine on defense, no worse on offense given Span's issue with mechanics. I just don't get it. Jewett might not have needed to hold up a not gimpy Kobernus. He knew Span WAS gimpy. So I am annoyed with Davey when he calls out players when he was not exactly on the ball himself.

27. Tcostant - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

TimDz said… Wow…20 plus comments and not one about Haren…Personally, I think he is due for a nice 7 inning performance…. Me: More LOL. Haren – good one…

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

mick said… agreed…Ghost knows his stuff June 17, 2013 2:51 PM Thanks for that and thanks for NatsLady doing that research. I think any time I have a slappy hitter up Eric I am going that route as they have a lower chance of a productive out also with the long flyball to tag up. It's all scenarios but I liked Davey's thinking with Lombo up with no outs yesterday. Unfortunately the hitters after him couldn't capitalize with the untimely doubleplay.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… JD, I'm thinking the same but I think a lot of it depends on how ALR plays the rest of the season. His LHP/LH splits are deteriorating, and in the very least they have to find a good complimentary player be it TyMo or someone else and sit ALR in those games. That should be an immediate goal and should help with getting ALR some needed rest. June 17, 2013 2:04 PM Nice to see Davey going with the Math. Even though I cringe with Marrero up there in ALR's place, if Marrero can get1 1 hit he has surpassed ALR's expectant return tonight since ALRs LHP slash is a .206 BA. The other bonus is ALR gets a much needed rest.

31. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Sounds like things are going well with Bryce (per Mark and others tweets) but no timetable for return/

32. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

"Nats head trainer Lee Kuntz not ready to give timetable for Harper, but if he passes each test, can ramp up quickly."Study hard, young Padawan! ;)

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

MicheleS said… hmm..Interesting lineup. some injuries, some mental health days..Get Healthy! GO NATS, GO BATS! GYFNG!!! June 17, 2013 4:33 PM I was think more like lefty/lefty matchups even though Davey likes to calls those 'mental health days'.Time for Kobernus and Marrero to prove themselves because Tyler Moore is trying to show he is fixed in AAA and Harper is hopefully back within 7 to 10 days.Sounds like his Friday doc appointment went well. Swelling is now replaced by puffiness and I guess that is supposed to be an improvement. When the 'puffy' is gone he can go play at A- with his brother for rehab.

34. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

PS – Ghost, I agree re: Lombo and slappy hitters in general, increasingly so the later it gets in the game.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Well, add the new tweet that sounds like today's Doc visit went even better. Maybe returning in 7 days isn't overly optimistic.

36. Eric - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'm just gonna assume he'll be out all season and then I'll be thrilled if/when I'm wrong…

37. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Boz said in his chat today he heard the estimate was 2 weeks from the coritsone shot. That would point toward a return a week from today.

38. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

And this is one more week we need to at least maintain our distance from the Braves. We have been fortunate in that they have not gotten hot themselves but it's still nervous time when you are 6.5 games out.

39. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Well winning 2/3 from the Phillies would be a good start. I expect to lose today because Dan Haren, but we need to win the next two.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

JD, 9 head to head games vs the Braves left. You want no more than a 4.5 lead by them when you meet.The Nats will almost be back to full strength the next time they meet.

41. Section 222 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sounds like it's a good thing that Dr. Andrews talked some sense into Bryce and he agreed to get the cortisone shot. Can't wait to see him back on the field.

42. Charles - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

In the course of a baseball season, every team (except the really bad ones -usually) seems to go on a 10+ game tear. Let's hope the Nats start one soon.

43. Section 222 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Our three remaining series against the Braves are:Aug. 5-7 (H)Aug. 16-18 (A)Sept. 16-18 (H)Two weekday series at Nats Park and one must-see-TV in Atlanta over a weekend. I hope we're closer than 4.5 back by Aug. 5, since it's hard to imagine winning more than six out of those nine games.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The Braves don't skip Harvey or Gee this time. Curious that the Braves will go with Wood tomorrow vs. Harvey from what I'm hearing so not sure what that is all about.

45. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Ghost, Double header tomorrow. The Mets are pitching Wheeler in the other game. I think the Braves are pitching Maholm.

46. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Man, we better do well tonight. Otherwise, the negativity is going to pour out on Rizzo for not keeping Lannan. Ugh!

47. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Sonny, It's gonna pour our anyway. The neganons have lots of targets: Rizzo, Johnson, Spann,Tracy,Haren, ALR, Werth, Zim, the bat boy, the bus driver etc.

48. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

The clubhouse trainer, the clubhouse chef, that one guy who cut them off in traffic and had a curly W bumper sticker…

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Come on… Some stuff is warranted…

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Section222, with that schedule the Braves are 100% healthy now except the bullpen guys they lost and Beachy. I wonder who they get back in August as I think the Nats will basically face who they have now and possibly Beachy.The Nats will have the services of Bryce, Mattheus, Ramos by that time so it looks promising.

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

GoSM – I think me and Joe S are the only ones who think/know that the Nats will win the division….I so seriously believe that…

52. JD - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Ghost, Are you sure about Ramos? The kid hasn't been able to stay healthy for 2 years. Any day now he'l receive the Nick Johnson memorial award for valor. We so need him too.

53. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Lannan really can dig down and show up when it matters, at least that was true last year. I hope we beat him, though. May Dan have a great night. I'm also wondering why we haven't heard about The Kid's check up today. Regardless, GYFNG!

54. Drew - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I hope the puffiness doesn't mean Bryce has to wear the Puffy Shirt.

55. sjb - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Janell, we did hear about Bryce today and things look good.Speaking of Legion of Doom…Kristen Berset just now on Channel 9…"….and the Nats fall below .500 once again."Lady, the Nats are now AT .500,Sounds like she'd fit right in on this board.

56. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Here is something on Harper. Sounds about as good as can be expected:http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/6/17/4439470/washington-nationals-injury-updates-news-on-bryce-harper-injured-left-kneeThese Nats are frustrating, but always interesting. You never know what you'll get from Haren. The same was true of Lannan. If John can't keep the ball down, or doesn't get the low strike call, the Nats bats could get well in a hurry.Time for Marrero to show something. Moore is only hitting .158 in AAA. Danny is already under Mendoza, in the .180s. Waiting for Harper.

57. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Ah! I see the news on Harper now. Yikes. But better than it was last week. "Cleared to walk on it" means a rehab assignment is not as close as we hoped. In the silver linings department, maybe these new guys can get their acts together so that when Bryce IS back, he's helping something really roll, instead of trying to do it himself.

58. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

59. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Ray is taking Dan Haren to town right now.

60. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Ray Knight had a good presentation on Haren's home runs given up and how they were all center cut on the plate. Very interesting.

61. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

David, do I own you a virtual drink? Probably close enough! :)

62. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

30-8 when we score 3 runs or more. ,789 . We need to score 4

64. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I paid up David.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Rendon was dancing with the Phanatic

66. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Should've kicked him

67. A DC Wonk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Laddie, is the .180 for Danny only including his AAA starts, or does that include his major league starts also? He's 2-for-11 in AAA (both singles), 2 BB, 5 K's, for a .182 BA.

68. Mark P - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Re: Tracy, the Nats don't win Saturday night without him. How quickly people forget.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Haren plus the Philly bandbox ,= double helping of maalox

70. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Marrero's time to shine… only 1st Round bust besides that pitcher who didn't sign.. I got faith

71. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Timothy Folk said…I seriously hate Haren.. should've gave Lannan two years till Giolito/Purke/Cole are ready..June 17, 2013 7:00 PMYou were right JD @ 5:47. It started even before the game started.

72. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Philly Phanatic 4 wheeler broke

73. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Werth vs Lannan: 8 for 24, 4 homers, 2 doubles, 6 RBI

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Carp suggesting Werth was up to shinsnigans with phanatic mobile

75. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

76. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Rendon starting off nicely

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Listening to C and D, again…. Go Nats! Lets do this!!!

78. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Give Ryan an Oscar

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

1 for 1 RISP

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Yesssssss….. Walks kill… Go J Werth!!!

81. Joe Seamhead - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

So glad Werth wasn't rested tonight.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Another double plsy with RISP 1 for 2

83. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Atleast we scored once?

84. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Desi hit that ball pretty hard, I don't fault him for that. It wasn't weak contact. Liked that first inning.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Progress….

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Lannan 19 pitches 10 balls. Only lead off batter didnt get at least 1 ball.

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

*sigh*Good Luck Haren…

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

After 4 bring in Ross O

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I'm hoping Haren goes 7…. I think he goes 7 with 2 runs…

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Phillies take strikes too. That is why they are below .500

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Big Cat and I call the 5th inning the Haren line

92. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Timothy Folk said…I'm sorry @SonnyG10 but the guy is horrible third or fourth highest paid on the team and the worst pitcher on the NL.. so yes it has begunJune 17, 2013 7:07 PMThat's ok, Timothy. You've got good reason not to like Haren.

93. Unknown - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

come on nats. i hate the phillies with every ounce of my being

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Kept ball down in the first. Needs to do it every inning.

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

*golf clap for Haren*

96. paul brandt - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

DP, agree re. Desi, he hit that ball hard, good 1st inning and man, Desi has a gun.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Unknown I hete the phillies with many ounces of my being . Save few for Braves Marlins and even one ounce for the Mets

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

No Nat should swing until Lannan can prove he can find the SZ….

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Good to see Kirk get a hit….

100. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Man, I miss Lannan. I don't even mean that in a Lannan vs Haren way, just for what he's done for the team over the years.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

What happened to suzuki running to third . Bunt hard but should have been closer.

102. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I didn't think Kobernus went. Didn't see a replay though.

103. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Dan Haren, WTH was that!

104. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Haren can't bunt. He's failed repeatedly. He can swing and hit, but he can't bunt.

105. paul brandt - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Haren has been one of our best hitters, what the heck was he doing?!

106. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Replay showed Kobernus went.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

1 for 4 RISP. Kobernus did what I said a couple posts back. Terrible recognition of the pitch causes a swing at a pitch no where close to a strike.Does Eck work on helping players recognize pitches? That should be one of his functions

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No doubt Kobernus swung. Couldnt identify the pitch obviously.

109. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

That was right down the middle. Jesus christ Haren.

110. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Is Haren for real? 2 strike count.

111. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Dan Haren….

112. SonnyG10 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Well, there's another example for Knights chart! Phooey!!!

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The ball waste high over the plate. why is he keeping pitches up all year?

114. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I was hoping Haren could make it to the 4th before he started pitching batting practice

115. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

What the heck Daniel!?

116. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Smh… Fat pitch right down the middle like tee ball….

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

again the ball was just a little lower but right over the middle.

118. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Haren is lucky that ball to Brown wasn't put in the seats too.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

The one to young a little lower.All must be low.

120. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Um, Davey? You got Ohlendorf up in the bullpen yet?If not, why not?

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

The pitch to Brown was lower than the one to Howard.

122. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… No doubt Kobernus swung. Couldnt identify the pitch obviously. Small sample size, I just ain't seeing anything from him. If he can get it going he could be a good utility guy but I just haven't seen enough.Still laughing about the poster here that called him a Professional Hitter after his first 2 games.

123. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

You can see it in his face

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Has Haren thrown a first pitch strike yet?

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Candide said… Um, Davey? You got Ohlendorf up in the bullpen yet?______________________________I thought Ohlendorf earned another start and Dan earned a place as long-man.

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Lannan lost some weight. All that baby fat is gone.

127. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

GoSM, so did I, but what do I know?

128. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I feel bad for Haren. But as I eventually lost patience with Espi, I can feel it creeping up with Haren. At least he got Lannan out. THANK YOU RZIMM!

129. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What a play by Zimmerman.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Does RZim get a Web Gem on that? I will give him one.

131. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

That's my 3B!

132. Joe Seamhead - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

OK, haters, waiting for you Zimm commentary.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I'm really trying but I have no positive feelings about Haren….

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Great play zim. Now start hitting the damn ball@Ghost my general comment misidentifying pitches is team wide.

135. JaneB - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

About Lannan on the mound, though: In the last inning, when we finally turned on the game, I saw this pitcher on the mound in a red hat and recognized him immediately. All those years of watching him, you really learn the posture. That set, with the slightly bent knees. John Lannan.

136. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

JaneB Haren is robbing the bank right now. I feel bad for him because his career seems over – guys are hitting moon shots off him – but at this moment I feel worse for Nats fans then I do for Haren.

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

MNF – that's what most of us wonder in terms of Eck and the philosophy….Sigh, come on Nats bats!

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The one Rendon didnt swing at was more hittable than strike 3. Had to swing at strike 3, but strike 2 was an easy one to drie to right.His approach generally good, but not this time.Do it right next time.Zim drive right up the middle.

139. Timothy Folk - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Good hit Zim

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Candide said… GoSM, so did I, but what do I know? You would think this is the last chance but our thinking doesn't matter. These BP fastballs that are getting crushed could be worse if the batters got each of them. Haren made 9 center-cut mistake pitches against Colorado and I think 5 or 6 of the 9 were hits and 2 of those were HRs. It could've been much worse. The start before that was 3 HRs by the Mets.

142. Knoxville Nat - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I have to say I always thought Lannan was an adequate #5 starter and didn't think he got the respect from Nats front office that he deserved. Certainly not at SS or a JZ but a solid five starter, good for 5.2 to 6.2 innings on most nights. Given how few complete games are thrown anymore what more could you ask of your fifth starter? Didn't care for the EJax signing and wasn't thrilled by the Haren signing. I think what hurt JL the most was having to be the #1 guy on some really bad teams and drawing comparisons to true aces. When your rotation is made up of guys like J.D. Martin, Ramon Ortiz and the likes it really is hard to stand out.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Swung at ball 4

144. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… GoSM/Candide – I doubt Harrn becomes a long reliever man…. They ain't paying 13 mil for that….Well they sure ain't paying him $13 mill to lead the league in home runs given up either.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Exactly what we were talking about on these 3-2 counts. Werth swings and fouls ball 4 but swings through the next pitch for a K.Awful.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM

See mis identification again cost us a walk then ends up a strike out.Seems this identification problem is what i want my hitting coach solving.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Exactly. Terrible identificstion up and down the line up.

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

No, Candide, their not…. Or shouldn't be…

149. David Proctor - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I'm not sure how the hitting coach helps you identify pitches other than watching film, which I know all of these guys do.

150. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Tim Lincecum was making $18 million last year and he got put in the bullpen for the postseason.When you want to win, check the egos and forget what you paid as it is spent.All you have to do is ask yourself, who gives you a better chance to win – Ohlendorf or Haren.

151. Candide - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Okay, that was a funny BMW commercial. :-)

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I liked that BMW commercial.

153. SCNatsFan - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

And tonight's guy who we make look like an all star pitcher is our friend John Lannan

154. BigCat - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Desi got a hanging change and a hanging curve

155. Timothy Folk - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Keep it competitive #15

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Knoxville Nat said… I have to say I always thought Lannan was an adequate #5 starter and didn't think he got the respect from Nats front office that he deserved.Where were you to agree with me the 100+ times I wrote that here?

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Owe you a drink Candide.

158. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I'll have a Guiness stout, MNF…

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

But it's not like Ohlendorf is great… He is serviceable too…In no way shape or form am I saying that Haren is better or in his corner (think everyone knows how I feel about him) but I don't think Ohlendorf is the answer either…I agree that Ohlendorf should have gotten the nod but I just don't see Haren being a long reliever right now… I count every Haren game as a loss, for what it's worth…

160. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

That's a ball Span gets. Sigh.

161. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Davey… you've seen this show before…

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

How did he hit a triple?

163. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I don't blame Kobernus there. He might have kept Haren's latest laser in the park.

164. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Anybody else feel a 3 run homer here?

165. BigCat - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Get haren out of there. He's got nothing

166. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

It's not Kobernus fault, that was a missile of the bat. But it's still a ball Span probably gets.

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

FP: Nats are 30-8 when they score 3 runs or more. Me: Nats are 25-1 when they socre 5 runs or more.

168. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I don't blame him either,Drew. He's not a ML caliber CFer.

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Get Haren out of there… I'm so sick and tired of this bum….

170. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Oh, boy. Haren has his work cut out for him now.

171. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Geez. Here comes Domonic 19-homer Brown.We've seen this horror movie before.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I don't blsim him, though I do agree Span catches it.

173. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

This is so painful to watch night after night. I wish I was stronger and could look away.

174. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Somebody needs to be warming up right now.

175. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Get Haren out of there… I'm so sick and tired of this bum….No matter how much you don't like him, he's not a bum.He's also Rizzo and Davey's problem.

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Dominic brown thanks

177. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sigh.

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

2 runs there seems like a lucky outcome but the RBIs come on a bleeder. Werth so close. Game of inches.

179. Unknown - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

huge play by the nats!!! gonna win this one.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Thanks Heron . Of course with Span in center it is already 3 outs so thanks Davey.

181. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Span is hurt, MNF.

182. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Great play by Espi and Zimm to catch Howard napping.Oh, wait, that wasn't Espi? My bad.Not Haren's typical meltdown. This seems to be more a slo-mo one.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Yeah, GoSM, we will disagree in Haren being a bum… Haven't seen anything to make me change my mind…But yeah he is Rizzo and DJ's issue… And one that we will have to suffer thru for the year…

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

You see who made that relay throw? ANTHONY RENDON! Ryan Howard out at home, right fielder Jayson Werth to second baseman Anthony Rendon to third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.

185. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

What the Nats bats need is someone like Haren pitching against them for a night.Still, doesn't matter if what you muster is 1 run. Bats have to wake up, don't they?

186. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Rendon better thank Zim for saving him an error on that throw.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sigh… Come on Nats bats….

188. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Mrs B, unless you are affectionately calling the Brooklyn Dodgers "da bums", calling any player a bum is uncalled for.It's just troll language.

189. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Manassas I don't like the job Davey is doing but he didn't hurt Span's foot

190. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Lets see 53 pitchers are eligible for ERA and Heran is 51st .how low do you have to be to becalled a bum?

191. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Idk I understand having Kobernus as the lead off batter…. Marerro will probably get sent back down when Harp comes back, at least that's what I'm thinking…

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Bernadina is a natural CF he probably catches that .

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Rendon better thank Zim for saving him an error on that throw. But did you see that bazooka arm? Yep, anothe nice play by RZim.

195. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Gutsy, though not great, throw by Rendon, and a great leap by Zim to corral it. Time for the bats to break out here against ol' buddy John Lannan. This is a hittable pitcher folks. No argument that he's finally figured it out, is actually a great pitcher blah blah blah like Masterson or Kluber. We need to light this guy up.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Joe Seamhead said… I feel bad for Dan Haren. Some of you may not agree, but the ball to center was a catchable ball. We were very lucky to get out of that with only giving up one run. If Jayson runs through that, rather then dives, he makes that catch. (Easy for me to say on both plays from my sofa!).Joe, that was a 2 run tally that inning and yes, that ball could've been caught by Span or Bernadina.

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

GoSM – and again, you and I will disagree on that… It's not troll language but if that's how you feel, hey, you are entitled to it…MNF – don't state facts….

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Both were just beyond catchable, but how about the walk to Rollins run 3

199. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

there you go Zook and Lombo! Eck is the man, notebook & all!

200. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Bum definition: See #4bumnoun1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.3. Informal. an enthusiast of a specific sport or recreational activity, especially one who gives it priority over work, family life, etc.: a ski bum; a tennis bum.4.Informal. an incompetent person.