Game 69: Nats at Phillies

Jun 17, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — Hello from Citizens Bank Park, and I must say it's actually nice (for a change) to say that. I'm back on full-time duty after my brief stint on the non-DL, and I've picked quite an intriguing matchup for my return to the beat: the opener of a Nationals-Phillies series with none other than John Lannan on the mound to face his old team for the first time.

Lannan, non-tendered by the Nats over the winter, signed a $2.5 million contract with Philadelphia but made only three starts before straining his left quadriceps muscle, an injury that cost him two months. You can only imagine his motivation tonight, both to make a strong return from the DL and to shut down his old ballclub (not to mention beat the guy who the Nationals essentially signed to take his spot: Dan Haren).

When Lannan looks at the opposing lineup, he won't see a whole lot of familiar names. Davey Johnson is going with a group even more depleted than usual tonight, with Adam LaRoche and Denard Span each out (in addition to Bryce Harper and Wilson Ramos). Span looked pretty hampered yesterday after he fouled a pitch off his right foot. LaRoche has no known injury, but he's been slumping a bit lately and he hasn't had a day off in quite some time.

Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark, and I'll also be appearing on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m., so be sure to tune in there and check back here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

CF Jeff Kobernus
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM

But back to the important thing… Zook is 2/2 for tonight… I'm glad to see him contributing….And Lombo with a double… We scored a run! Nice!

2. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Kobernus can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I think all of his hits (how many? 3?) have been on fastballs.

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Kobernus working his way back to Syracuse.He again cant identify a curve and swings as if the speed of a fast ball.

4. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

calling any player a bum is uncalled forOh please. All right, Is it ok to say he stinks? I think we can do without the language police here.

5. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It's Kobernus going back when Harp comes back. Marrero goes back when TyMo is ready.

6. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I realized what I written too late, Ghost. I still felt that though he has allowed an awful lot of contact, Haren was a victim of Kobernus' inexperience.

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Kobernus has this weird like swing to me….

8. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

"4.Informal. an incompetent person."Incompetent could describe alot of these guys including Haren, Kobernus, Tracy. I just wouldnt call them bums.

9. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Kobernus is a rally killer. Looks awful up there. No business leading off. Put in Bernie now.

10. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Brooklyn once had a very lovable team once refered to as the "bums".

11. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Wow a lot going on in that play lol…

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Good play Morrero

13. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Marrero just saved Zimm an error and made that athletic play I wished Laroche could make more often.That was nice!

14. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Nats 128 said… "4.Informal. an incompetent person." Incompetent could describe alot of these guys including Haren, Kobernus, Tracy. I just wouldnt call them bums.A is BJoe is ATherefore Joe is BA bum is an incompetent person.Haren is an incompetent person.Therefore Haren is not a bum???

15. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Now that was a unique way for Zim to avoid making an overhand throw!

16. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It's the 5th inning…. Wonder what DJ does here…. Does Haren stay or does he get pulled….

17. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Kobernus is a rally killer.

18. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Through 4 innings, Haren at 79 pitches and Lannan at 77.

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

In baseball bum is accepted language ever since the Brooklyn Dodgers.More PC action I can tell.A bum is a player playing significantly below tge median of his position.By my definition Haren is a bum, but he is our bum.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Brooklyn once had a very lovable team once refered to as the "bums".You owe me a drink on that one! Obviously everyone thinks that calling Haren a bum is okay. I don't think saying someone stinks is as derogatory as calling someone a bum but that's me.I met him many times when he was with the Angels. I find him to be a really good guy who can't get it done. I said my thoughts last week, send him to the 'pen.

21. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Cmon its LAnnan. need 4 runs this inning.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

FP: 3-0 green lightMe: No FP, that was a 2-1 count that should've been 3-0

23. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Lannan is getting some very generous outside calls that I didn't see Haren getting (although Haren hasn't really been as close).

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Lol… Okay, we are still talking about the definition of 'bum' lol good lord….

25. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

LaRoche could make that same play just as easily if he were right handed.

26. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Saying a baseball player is a bum is kind of old school and prestigious isn't it? I can just imagine a fan in an old baseball movie. — Ahhh, ya bum! Get a hit for once would'ya?!

27. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Baseball deffinition as Webster's so i dont equate the two.

28. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hey we have about a dozen guys playing like bums. Doesn't mean they aren't good people, doesn't mean they can't turn it around but they are bums at the moment.

29. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

How can Fp say ZImm seeing it big

30. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I think someone here said the all time gopher ball pitcher for one season was Bert Blyleven at 50. Bert ended up being an All star and won a WS of course. Haren is on pace to break this record, assuming he lasts the season. What would make this impressive is that back in Bert's time, starting pitchers went at least 8-9 innings no matter how bad they pitched. In Haren's era, pitchers average 6-7 innings and in his case he averages about 5 innings. I say let this no heart, over paid clown pitch on, at least Nats would have some type of all time recordnow how is that for the glass half full, LOL

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

GoSm – we can agree to disagree… I've moved on… I'm actually laughing at Candide now…But yeah MNF – he is ours until the end of the year…

32. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Only ahead of the Mets and Marlins hitting .233 as a team. Sorry bums applies.

33. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

34. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

ALR has made plenty of athletic plays at first to save Zim from errors.

35. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Ghost, as a compromise, how bout a "smelly hobo?"

36. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I figure Lannan be down 6 3 by now and out of the game. Werth swings at ball 4. BUMS!!!!

37. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM

listening to Charlie and Dave…you can hear and feel the disgust in their voices for Haren…you can also tell they really liked Lannan, they bring up his 4-1 last season and the Braves game. Dave wants so bad to say Haren is by far the worst move management made since the team has been in DC… I think Albert Haynesworth prepared better than Haren…well, maybe that's a stretch

38. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Candide said: What SCNatsFan said. I have it on good authority (my mother) that I'm a wonderful person. But put me on the field with these guys and calling me a bum would be a kindness.=====You ain't the only one… My baseball career lasted all of 2 years and 1 year, I couldn't even smell the field…. Just terrible…But yeah bum is a baseball term… But whatever.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Yah MrsB, you are not a troll on the bums call by the democracy here. I was wrong. I just would never say that to someone's face but I would have no problem telling Espinosa that he stinks. ;)

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

How quickly before Revere is standing on 2nd with a steal?

41. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I said last week, Lannan was on a mission to make statement…I was of course ridiculed and some poster actually said we would knock Lannan out by the 3rd inning… show them John, show them what a mistake they made signing one of the worst MLB free agent pitchers I have seen in 25 years

42. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Oh lord… Haren is still out there for the 5th…. Jessssssssus!I agree Mick – I don't hear anything positive from C and D about Haren…Oh, ghost, I got call a f'ing terrible bum to my face… I couldn't do nothing but cry becuz I was… Couldn't hit, couldn't catch…. Uhm bad memories…

43. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

That answered your question, Ghost.

44. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Mick, Went to Cleveland for all 3. Now loosing to Lannan. Just cant believe how bad this team is. Harren stinks, but the hitting or lack of by the middle of the order is laughable.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

paul brandt said… Ghost, as a compromise, how bout a "smelly hobo?" That works!

46. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Signs of impending doom:Tonto goes to town.Yeoman Smith disappears behind the Styrofoam rock.Haren pitches the fifth.(We all need a fifth.)

47. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Wow I wish we had traded with the Twins for a lead off center fielder who could steal. Oh yeah we did.

48. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…I just would never say that to someone's face… Well, of course not. That would be incredibly rude. When I'm at the park, I NEVER boo our guys or call them names.…but I would have no problem telling Espinosa that he stinks. ;)"You stink, Espi. But you're not a bum.""Well, gee, thanks for that, Ghost. Want me to autograph that ball for you?"

49. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Candide has the post of the day so farlet me add the obvious5. Dan Haren

50. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Haren strike to balls is 46-41….

51. SonnyG10 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Man, did you see that pick by Marrero at first? Maybe he's not such a big defensive dropoff as I thought!

52. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

SCNatsFan, Revere is a disaster in CF. He's been a headache for the Phillies all year. The grass isn't always greener.

53. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

54. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Lannan was an original Nat. At one time he was our number 1. He battled and battled and saved our bacon a bunch. Rizzo not only dumps a good 5th starter but dumps a guy who truly had heart and wanted to be a NAT. Way to go SNYDER/RIZZO

55. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Secret wasian man I hear you my brother, lol

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… LaRoche could make that same play just as easily if he were right handed. That is a great point. Big advantage on a glove side catch. Still very athletic play.

57. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

HBO free tonight. Gnight all

58. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

this is painfull

59. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Remember when Dan Haren would sprinkle a few good starts in with his meltdowns? What happened to those? We haven't had a good game in forever.

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Terrible….

61. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ok he's not a bum he's just washed up

62. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Haren can shake his head all he wants. 4 runs over 5 innings just isn't going to work most nights Dan.

63. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

ohlendorf should get Harens starts from now on. LANNAN laughing his A sss off.

64. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

SCNatsFan said…Candide go early to get Danny's autograph it gets cold awfully early in upstate NYDon't tell me. I lived 15 years in the Finger Lakes.

65. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I'm not saying revere is better I'd just like to see span steal more

66. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Secret wasian man so Nats paid 2 million more for Haren… 8 mil more than what they would have paid LannanI would say this would be like investing into a certain ship crossing the Atlantic in April 1912 or the stock market in 1929

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

DP – was his last good game against the O's?

68. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I'm this close (holds fingers a hair's breadth apart) from swearing off watching any game that Haren pitches if I haven't already bought tickets.

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Candide, notice the ;) for sarcasm. I shook the hornets nest once again.Take your shots and have fun. I'm out of here.

70. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

wonder what the over/under boys have for Haren, I bet the under boys are a bit nervous

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Well… The good thing is, we are only down 2 runs… And into their BP….Bad news is Haren has given up 4 runs in 5 innings… Terrible…

72. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Sorry, Ghost – wasn't trying to rile you up, and I caught the winky smiley.

73. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Well, I wasI wondering how long Cholly would let Lannan go. Got my answer. Stutes pitched well against us earlier in the season, didn't he?

74. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Had Lannan stayed here he'd probably be 4-9 too, the only difference is the money wasted but it isn't my money. Thinking Lannan is good is all romantic and everything but he wasn't the answer.

75. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

SCNatsFan 4-1 last year…when Lannan is healthy he is good..and he clearly out pitched and out classed Haren tonight and embarrassed the Nats organization

76. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Have to hope the Phooly bullpen screws up.

77. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Lannan would likely outperform Haren, because Haren has been so bad. But I don't think Lannan would be exactly "good."

78. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Out pitching Haren is no feat. And watch lannans numbers by the end they won't be impressing anyone

79. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Didnt Rizzo think to himself who would give the Nats the best chance in a division game.Olendorf vs HarenSeems Olendorf made more sense for a chance at a W. This is 3 bad starts in a row by Haren. Thats no longer inconsistency. This is just bad.

80. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

F.P. and Carp were talking about what could be done to improve the Nats' hitting. A suggestion comes from classical literature: As they were chatting thus together they arrived at Portsmouth. The shore on each side the harbor was lined with a multitude of people, whose eyes were steadfastly fixed on a lusty man who was kneeling down on the deck of one of the men-of-war, with something tied before his eyes. Opposite to this personage stood four soldiers, each of whom shot three bullets into his skull, with all the composure imaginable; and when it was done, the whole company went away perfectly well satisfied."What the devil is all this for?" said Candide, "and what demon, or foe of mankind, lords it thus tyrannically over the world?"He then asked who was that lusty man who had been sent out of the world with so much ceremony. When he received for answer, that it was an admiral."And pray why do you put your admiral to death?""Because he did not put a sufficient number of his fellow creatures to death. You must know, he had an engagement with a French admiral, and it has been proved against him that he was not near enough to his antagonist.""But," replied Candide, "the French admiral must have been as far from him.""There is no doubt of that; but in this country it is found requisite, now and then, to put an admiral to death, in order to encourage the others to fight."

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I'd rather Marerro be sent back down when Harp comes back…

82. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Uh why is Haren still in?

83. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

this is sad, the 1971 Wash Senators who lost 93 games have a higher team batting average than our Nats

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Wait… Haren is really still out there?????

85. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What SCNatsFan said @8:51. Lannan is a just ok No. 4 or 5 pitcher. Rizzo hoped Haren would be much better than that. He hasn't been.FP's commentary about what it takes to get out of the hitting slump we're in is getting tiresome. I like him much better when he's being humorous.

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Haren is at 108 pitches…. And only the top of the 6th….

87. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Section 222 said…I like him much better when he's being humorous.Me too, but it helps to have something to laugh about.

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Correction – bot of the 6th…

89. baseballswami - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM

So is this game tonight all about baseball karma? I hate it that we only scored two against a guy who is considered back of the rotation , on his first start back. But I cannot wish any ill against John Lannan. I just can't. That being said, I hope we get to their bullpen. We let Lannsn go and signed Haren at how much more money? I think he might owe us a little stab tonight. And our offense still sucks, except for those 7,8 hitters.

90. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Danny Espinosa struck out for the second time today and spiked his helmet.

91. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

"Uh why is Haren still in?"Bottom of there order? Or may be if they put Olendorf in he looks great and then the fanbase really gets ticked of.

92. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM

"Danny Espinosa struck out for the second time today and spiked his helmet."Kobernus or Espy. Espy is in AAA.

93. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

This was one of Haren's better outings and his ERA STILL went up. Was 5.70 at game time; his ERA for this game is 6.00.

94. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Proctor as critical as I've been about Danny had not to feel for the guy. He sees Rendon as the flavor of the month and he's on the farm continuing to flounder. Will have to be awful strong mentally to beat this.

95. Knoxville Nat - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Why bat Tracy for Haren instead of Bernadina? Batting the Shark allows you to play him in CF and bat the next pitcher in the lead off slot after Kobernus hits here in the 7th. I don't understand this move at all.

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We are going to score 3 runs in the 8th….

97. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Knoxville Nat said…Why bat Tracy for HarenHeck, let Haren bat for himself, then bring in the new pitcher in the 7th. Haren's a better hitter than Tracy any more.

98. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said…We are going to score 3 runs in the 8th….Can I have some of what you're drinking?

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I sincerely hope our pitchers start working on holding runners…

100. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

watching this team try to hit is like a colonoscopy. It Hurts and you feel cheap and violated.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Yeah Candide…. *virtually passing the patron*

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Mick you need work on your math. Haren not near on pace to break record for homes 18 homers in 69 games.That would end up giving 42 homers.

103. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

LaRoche, Span and Solano are the only remaining bench players.

104. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Im not on Haren tonight. 2 Runs in this park against Lannen is terrible. NO power threat on this team. Its killing us. Yes I will beat the MORSE horse. "Take on me" come back to us at trade deadline MIKEY. PLEASE

105. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Another great outing for Krol.

106. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Krol… me likes.

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I really, really, really like Abad and Krol….

108. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

K-rol didnt K any one that inning and it doesnt matter. WHIP again is a big 0.

109. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

How were Haren's 6 innings "solid", Bob and FP.

110. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

According to Carpenter, an ERA of 6 for this game represents a comeback for Haren….

111. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

A game ERA of 6.00 is solid to Carp and FP. They cant be for real.

112. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

"Haren … six solid innings…"Jeeze, Carp and FP… four runs in six innings is an ERA of 6.00.

113. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Haren's outing — 4 runs in 6 innings — is a positive? Boy, the bar is pretty darn low I guess.

114. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

If the Nats are down 4-2, but Rendon is up, is that fortuitous?

115. JaneB - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Ok. I'm watching The Voice instead of the game (I have a friend in the finals, I am proud to say). But I keep checking back. And i've decided to just love these guys the way I did in 2011. I'll be glad when they win, get mad at the unps who call bogus balks and squeeze the zone, and defend them at the ballpark when people start calling them names. It's not the season I was hoping they'd have. But there will be little victories along the way. That's where I am.

116. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Holy crap, everyone owes David Proctor a drink.

117. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Candide and Section 222, I like my drinks cold.

118. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Guess not.

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Coming back from 2 runs down is like climbing Mt. Everest for this team. The Denard Span trade sucked all the life out of this line-up.

120. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I do believe I predicted Phils will over take us in 2nd by Wed night….this is sad

121. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Sorry, 128 – I already credited a drink to David Proctor.

122. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Ryan is seeing the ball well tonight…. Werth is gonna bring him home!!!!*fingers crossed*

123. ehay2k - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Ahh, I love me some Eck! Another soft tosser – a guy for whom the Nats should have a pretty good scouting report – makes them look hapless in a hitter's park. Oh, did I mention that this particular pitcher historically not fared well in this park?No matter, I'm sure Eck will figure out how to coach 'em up. When the entire class is failing, it's a bit hard to put all the blame on the students.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I can tell you how Haren was solid. Had either kirbinus or Werth makes. Catch in the third and it is 2-2.Only gave up 1 homer.Talk about stretching. I stretched for Carp

125. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Werth checks his swing for sure.

126. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

3rd base: where Nationals go to die…..

127. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

That was 3 atbats with 3-2 counts for Werth and each time makes outs.

128. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Okay, let's keep it going…

129. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yessss….. Okay… Lets get another one here!!!!

130. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

here we go! man, that's hard to say with this offense, come on, this is the Phillies!! we can win this game.

131. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I love the way about five of us immediately jumped on Carpenter about Haren's having a good outing. It was like bam bam bam bam bam…..

132. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

"William O. Douglas Loeffler said… 3rd base: where Nationals go to die….."Do you need a towel to wipe that egg off of your face!

133. Grandstander - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Innings 1-3 – 86 runsInnings 4-6 – 103 runsInnings 7-9 – 44 runs

134. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

At least we have our drinking game. Section128, I set you up to record the drink you owe DP. Better luck next time!

135. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Roll that soft ground ball Adam

136. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

La Roche brandishing the big bat there….

137. mick - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

ALR…pathetic

138. DJB - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

139. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Nats pinch hitting is as good as always. 0-3 so far!

140. Candide - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I can't stand to watch this any more. Good night all.

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Dang… That may have been our last chance considering who is coming up next inning….

142. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Because we all still like him, no one want to say that Harper is responsible for a lot of this. That was a really, really stupid escapade stealing that base. And this mysterious injury is just bizarre. If his body truly heals this slowly then the best we can hope for from this kid is Freddie Lynn's career.

143. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

DJB said…I'm sorry, but given the run differential and total runs scored, this team will settle between 5 and 8 games below .500 when all is said and done. The outcome of this game doesn't really matter. It's pretty settled given the sample size.Since it's already decided, why watch the games? The result is set in stone, right?

144. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM

What ball to center? I saw Werth almost catch one in right and why were all those guys on base? Haren had the bases loaded. Good things tend not to happen to pitchers who wantonly load the bases.

145. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Section 222, I didnt see a file save for the drink counter. Hope it worked.

146. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

nats 128, I would gladly have egg on my face every time the Nats drive a runner in from 3rd. did you happen to see the game yesterday?

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Clippard pitching balls over the middle to be lined into the outfield.

148. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Clip is lucky Brown and Howard topped those balls or those are way outta there for HRs.

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM

What difference does it make, F.P. The Nationals can't score two runs in the 9th. The best we can hope for is losing in extra innings, realistically. Seriously, Werth and La Roche seem ineffective. Desmond seemed to peak last year. Zimmerman isn't the player he was. Span is a bust. Morse is gone. Ramos can't stay healthy.That leaves us with Bryce who never plays and Rendon and four really good pitchers who lose 4-3 and 3-2.

150. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

ok, I don't have Clip's stats in front of me but it seems like lately, he is giving up 2-3 hits per inning and throwing 30+ pitches…am I wrong & then he somehow miraculously escapes…cue up K right there…weird.

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Took 16 pitches to get firsy out.

152. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

This team needed 60 homers from La Roche and Zimmerman this year to stay on par. How likely is it that we get that many?

153. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Manassas, I don't think your post at 9:24 is that much of a stretch. Werth's was a tough play that maybe he shouldn't have dove for, but the ball Kobernus missed was catchable by a Span, or Bernadina. That play was deadly for Haren. Either ball gets caught, Haren would have only given up 2 runs for his outing. He still had too many balls hit hard against him and also benefited from a couple of great defensive plays.

154. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Papelbon has not had many save opportunities so he better watch out.

155. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

How about that ball by Ryan Howard? Who could have caught that one or the 17 others that he dispenses like candy.

156. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Clippard lives on that ledge.

157. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

After yesterday, I couldn't muster any apprehension for Clippard's tightwire act. I honestly don't believe in this team's batters.

158. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

128, looks like it worked. You're on the board. Congrats! Including tonight, Clipp has made 30 appearances already this year. Looks like he's given up a hit or a walk in 17 of them. Yet somehow, his ERA coming into tonight was 2.57. He's also thrown 17 or more pitches in 17 of his appearances. I wonder if he has the lowest ERA for average pitches per inning of any reliever. The number of jams he's created and escaped from must be really high.

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

The ball to center started the whole provlem. Kobernus didnt catch a difficult hit, that most agree Span or Bernadina would have caught. Without that the inning is over before the hit to right.

160. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM

How many pitches this inning?

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hoping Zuke and Lombo give an encore performance… Ya know 2 doubles…

162. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Why would the fans stay. They've seen us hit.

163. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Sorry FP, Suzuki is not really who I'd like to have leading off the inning…

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Lombo with 2 hits and still only a .240 obp.

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Quit hitting the ball at Revere.

166. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Bob said "…and it will be up to Chad Tracy"…good night all.

167. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Jayson Werth promised 120 victories. Don't take him to the racetrack with you.

168. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Well… Gosh, what a disaster by Haren today…. Lets win the next 2 and win the series….

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

As I predicted as long as Haren only gives up 2 runs we win.Pitchers need to realize we arent hitting so they cant let other tea hit either.Not a good formula, but it is what it is.

170. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Tracy missing hittable fastballs. Kind of the story of his season, isn't it?

171. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

HOLY CRAP. CHAD TRACY IS BACK.

172. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I am in shock

173. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

So long to that W for John Lannan!!!!!

174. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Hahaha. Well, there's a post I'd like to have back!

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

OMFG!!!!!!

176. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

omg chad i thank you for making me eat my words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!paul brandt is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

177. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I thought that was a pop up! Ha!

178. Drew - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

WOW!

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I was about to announce a encore for Tracy, when people were talking abou zook and Lombo encore

180. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Bryce Harper ‏@Bharper3407 11sHELL YEA!!! Chad Tracy doin it! #GoonSquad #NatsBryce is excited.

181. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Wow! Flying pigs! Again.

182. SCNatsFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Sec 222 you owe yourself a drink

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I can't believe it….. OMFG!!!!!!

184. Smatt1001 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Chad Tracy, seriously?!? Goon Squad is back

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

We should be jumping up and down, but yesterday's game was so crushing that my son and I just still here placid, prepared for the inevitable. Prove me wrong, Nats, please.

186. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

That's what they get for having that silly bandbox of a ballpark!

187. Steamer - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

How about that Chad Tracy

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Now a shutdown inning.

189. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Too bad, LOL, but no "W" for Lannan.

190. Nats 128 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Mark had to revoke his Instant Analysis! Get to work on a new ending Mark!

191. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Powers out what happened

192. Section 222 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

William O, let's hope you aren't prophetic with your "best we can do is lose in extras" statement.

193. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Let's just hope the new ending doesn't say walk-off. Come on Drew/Abad

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Let's face it. I have been watching baseball for a long time but I have seldom, if ever, seen such a pathetic display of baseball as I saw by the Nationals yesterday. It looked like the players had no interest in the game.

195. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

SWM, Chad Tracy hit a home run to tie the game off Papelbon.

196. paul brandt - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

give Chad some credit, i didn't…two key hits…heck, this means Davey will have him hitting 4th and playing short-stop by the end of the week! haha.

197. jeffwx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

our bench and backups suckEvan Gattis…6 for 8 with 11 rbis pinch hittingNats pinch hitters have 2 rbis all year (all by tracey)no jordan schaffer, no Gattis, minor league callups except rendon are marginal hittersteam not put together well expecting to not have injuries and having bernadina, tymo, lombo, kobernus, solano, kobernus, brown… as your guys for the inevitable ph or injury or replacement.but all is well..the mighty tracey has done it again.

198. Whynat - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Maybe Davy knew what he was doing when he gave chad that start the other day?

199. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Sweet Fancy Moses!!!!! Lol… Bwahahahahahah…. Really Mark!?!?!?!?We are winning this game in the 10th….

200. Secret wasian man - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM