Jun 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Steve Lombardozzi is tagged out on a seventh-inning double play yesterday.
The 2013 Nationals, it's no secret by now, don't score very many runs. The Nats score, to be precise, 3.49 runs per game. Only the wretched Marlins, at 3.13, are worse at crossing the plate.
What's the best way to score runs? Put a lot of men on base. Not surprisingly, the Nationals also rank with the dregs of the league in this department, their .292 on-base percentage better than only the Mets and Marlins.
Here's the problem: Aside from the pending return of Bryce Harper — and, to a lesser extent, Wilson Ramos — there isn't much the Nationals can do to put more guys on base. They can hope underachieving regulars like Ryan Zimmerman, Denard Span and Jayson Werth start performing better and start reaching base at clips more in line with their career norms. But you don't just turn from one of the league's worst offensive clubs to one of its bestRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole