Jun 18, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — If the Nationals are going to snap out of their season-long malaise that has left them hovering right around the .500 mark for the better part of 2 1/2 months, it’s going to require a collective loosening up by players who might just be too tightly wound at the moment.
Manager Davey Johnson, after meeting with shortstop Ian Desmond this afternoon, said he wants his team to be looser, not putting so much pressure on itself to live up to the club’s lofty preseason expectations.
“I was talking to Desi a little earlier, and he felt like the club was not as loose as it was last year,” Johnson said. “It’s trying to be loose. Well, I said, we’re young. We’re awfully young. We’ve got some young guys on the bench. It’s a situation where they have to go through the experience. That’s part of it. But I think we’ll be fine. Learn to just play loose, free and easy, and the offense will pick up.”
Johnson specifically mentioned the younger players on his roster who burst onto the scene last season but have struggled to produce at the same level this season.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats