Jun 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 6:45 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — What had been planned for more than two weeks became official this afternoon: Danny Espinosa was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse, leaving the Nationals’ former starting second baseman a full-time minor-leaguer until he proves his bat is big-league-worthy again.
Espinosa had already joined the Syracuse roster last week, but technically he was on a rehab assignment while recovering from a right wrist injury. Today, the Nationals deemed the 26-year-old healthy and activated him off the 15-day disabled list, then immediately optioned him to Class AAA so he can continue to work on his swing in the minors.
“We’re trying to tear down his approach and his swing and make some adjustments, and see if we can get back the Danny Espinosa that we saw such good progress in when he first got to the big leagues,” general manager Mike Rizzo said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?