Game 71: Nats at Phillies

Jun 19, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — I hate using the term "must-win" in baseball, especially on June 19. But let's be honest: This is about as close to a "must-win" game as the Nationals have faced all season. They've lost three in a row. They risk getting swept (and passed in the standings) by the Phillies. And they're clearly at a potentially fragile juncture of the season, knowing they not only can't afford to fall any deeper into a hole but that they need to start climbing upward ASAP.

So, it's up to this lineup to finally get something going against Kyle Kendrick, against whom they've had success in the past (he's 4-6 with a 4.90 ERA in 20 career games against the Nationals). Tonight's key, in my mind: The two guys at the top of the lineup. Denard Span is in a major funk right now, hitting .164 with a .220 OBP this month. Anthony Rendon, on the other hand, has been fantastic since his return from the minors, hitting .395 with a .435 OBP. If those two guys can get on base, the opportunities will be there for Ryan Zimmerman, Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond.

Gio Gonzalez gets the start for the Nationals, facing the exact same Phillies lineup that scratched out four runs against Ross Detwiler last night.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 78 degrees, Wind 3 mph LF to RF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Nationals Announce Events for Season Ticket Holder Appreciation DayWashington DC, June 19 2013 The Washington Nationals announced a variety of special events during their Season Ticket Holder Appreciation Day, planned for July 27th at Nationals Park. Following is a preliminary list of fan-friendly activities for the day:Hitting coach Rick Eckstein will host a seminar on the concourse, where he will debate in favor of the proposition, “A player should watch strikes the entire season, waiting for his perfect pitch.” Arguing the opposing point will be the Entire History of Major League Baseball.The Nats starting pitchers present a short mini-drama, depicting what it is like to get no run support game after game. Pitchers will take turns acting in the role of Custer at Little Big Horn.Team physicians from the Nationals and Redskins, in a festive, joint presentation, will present a clinic on the proper management of injuries to rising superstars who are everyday players.Reliever Ryan Mattheus will counsel area youth on anger management strategies.Equipment manager Dwight Standish will discuss the proper fitting of team uniforms, show-casing the extra-tight collars preferred by Nats batters this season.Reflecting the mood of the 2013 Nationals, team executives will choose a few lucky season ticket holders to unveil the new marketing slogan for the team, printed on the left field fence. The new theme for 2013: “Disconsolate”Fireballing left fielder Steve Lombardozzi will challenge area infants to a weakest-arm contest. (Note to parents: contestants should be at least one day old.)Dozens of beautiful, irreplaceable, European stain-glass windows will be exhibited across the playing field. To ensure the safety of these priceless items, they will only be displayed during the game itself, when the Nationals are batting.Starters Stephen Strasburg and Dan Haren will present a somber reflection entitled, “What it’s like to pitch in a game when 3 of your position players (and all your bench players) have a lower batting average than you do.”Manager Davey Johnson will debate General Mike Rizzo on the value of having left-handed pitchers in the bullpen. The manager, of late, has been telling reporters how much he values lefties in the ‘pen. In the debate, Mr. Rizzo will explain why he gutted the team’s left-handed relief staff, saying at the time that his bullpen’s righties had no trouble getting lefties out. (Media Note: individuals armed with actual statistics on the performance of our righty relievers against lefties will be barred from this event.)Former National Michael Morse will make a cameo experience to explain why everything collapsed.23 formerly retired or washed-up pitchers will discuss how they dominated the Nationals and resurrected their careers for one game. (Note to Media: Chunichi Dragons star Daniel Cabrera is pencilled-in for this discussion at next year’s event.)The day will end with the always-enjoyable “Kids Run the Bases.” To allow the children to run more freely, they will be held on base by the Nationals pitching staff.

2. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

NatsLady, responding to your post in the other thread:"That sounds like the Jayson Werth approach. In fact, he stated he wants to get the starter out of there by the sixth inning and get to a middle reliever.Werth's approach would work with an awful lot of teams, especially poorer teams with chancy bull pens. Also will work with non-Ace type pitchers. Probably not the best approach with Cliff Lee, Kershaw etc. Because that approach means you are at 0-2 or 1-2 a lot, and are subject to their devastating "out" pitch. Also you have expand the zone, foul off pitches etc. and end up with weak ground balls or pop-ups. "I think Werth is good at changing his approach based on who the pitcher is. You see him like to work long counts often, that's true. However, he's not afraid to ambush a first pitch fastball. In fact, three of his seven home runs are on the first pitch. You'll see him swinging a lot more early against guys like Lee than guys like Kendrick.

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

No more losses in June.Eat Face

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Dodgers now have 4 runs so we are back to 14th in rins.However we will be ,9th by tge all star game now thall players will "Eat Face"

5. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

17-10 for June…. Here we come!!!!!I'm glad to see DJ put a natural OF in the OF and not an IF…. I understand the whole match up but still…Lets go Nats!

6. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Our identity is now "eat face."

7. bowdenball - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

do1teach1…The problem with gallows humor is that it has to be really funny. Otherwise it's just regular old negativity.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM

9. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Feel bad for Kobernus… I'm glad he got his 1st HR but I wish it could have made a difference…

10. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

"I predicted no melee today in any of my 4 games.Wring Guzman thrown at by Bumgarner because he admired his homer last niht"That's not a melee, that's a ranged attack! 😉

11. Tcostant - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

do1teach1 I'm LOL – thanks :)

12. karlkolchak - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

do1teach1 – epic and funny as heck. You should also add a list of things that have gone RIGHT for the Nats this season:1). The Nats have a perfect 100% record in spelling the team name right on player jerseys.2). No hotdogs have exploded while being shot out of a t-shirt cannon (possibly because they do not use the t-shirt cannons anymore).3). No Nats centerfielder has challenged the opposing fans to a fight.4). The groundskeeping crew has a 100% record of getting the tarp down on the field during rain delays without having it blow all over the stadium.5). No Nats announcer has been fired for unfairly criticizing a Nats pitcher.6). The new stadium, unlike RFK, does not have a rat infestation.7). No Nats outfielder's pre-game ritual includes kicking back with a good jay.8). No career catcher has been asked to play in the outfield.9). The Nats have not lost a game on a walk off balk.10). The Nats manager has NOT once fallen asleep in the dugout.Positives. We must always look for positives.

13. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You'll see him swinging a lot more early against guys like Lee than guys like Kendrick.Right. Kind of like he did last night when he hit a homer off Lee on the first pitch.I thought do1teach1's effort easily crossed the threshold of funny enough for gallows humor. I even chuckled out loud a few times.

14. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Thanks karl (loved your list) and tco…we laugh to keep from crying!

15. JaneB - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM

do1 — hilarious. I believed it for a while, too. GYFNG-ESF. Like, seriously.

16. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I laughed at a few myself. These two are my favorite:"The day will end with the always-enjoyable 'Kids Run the Bases.' To allow the children to run more freely, they will be held on base by the Nationals pitching staff."And, a close second:"Reliever Ryan Mattheus will counsel area youth on anger management strategies."

17. UnkyD - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

DoTeach: lol!! ThanksGYFNG!!!! EAT FACE!!!!

18. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

19. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM

-ESF is an excellent suffix, agreed.I have to say, I would LOVE it if the Nats adopted as their slogan some variation of ESF instead of "Platit…" I mean "Natitude."

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

ESF only works if all get engaged in the activity.

21. Drew - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Look on the bright side:Nick Johnson hasn't broken any bones.

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Will ESF sirts be available in the team store or only from an entrepeneuron half street.

23. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Thanks 222, jane, eric and unky…it really struck me this morning that truth really is stranger than fiction. I saw the thing in the Post today, in the column about Storen getting used less, where Davey said, "There was a situation, I like left against left, and I like my lefts right now.” I was just laughing out loud in my kitchen reading it! Do they remember telling us last winter that an all-righty bullpen was no problem?

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Wait… What's ESF stand for?

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Do1 – idk if anyone believed that an all right BP was ever gonna work…

26. Caps Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM

overdo1notfunny1, I hope you didn't waste too much company time on that.

27. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

More bench clearing. Giants and Padres on Guzman.

28. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM

ESF? Extra Special Fans

29. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Eat some face ian has twitter twice today he will eat some face tonight as has Harper tweeted for teammates to ESF

31. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Original quote from Jayson had the word somw in it. We dropped it, now team added it back so I did too.

32. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM

do1, this one is also great:"Equipment manager Dwight Standish will discuss the proper fitting of team uniforms, show-casing the extra-tight collars preferred by Nats batters this season."

33. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM

ESF = Jayson comment "eat someone's face" and the various permutations that have arisen here since.

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM

#ESF sure sounds more civil than Eat Some Face.

35. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Hahahahahahahah….. I can't stop laughing…. Eat face just sounds gangsta…. Lol… HahahahahahahahBut I'll go with #ESF

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

If it is a motto that gets them winning I am all for it.

37. bowdenball - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM

do1teach1 said…"Bowden and Caps Fan–thanks for the feedback. Nats Insider Nation awaits your own, original writing."I'm glad other people found it funny- Nats fans can use some laughs these days. But if you don't want feedback on your writing, don't post 14 paragraphs at the start of a baseball game thread. Can't have it both ways.Although I must admit the last one with the variation on "Kids Run the Bases" was pretty darn good :)

38. Caps Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM

overdo1unfunny1, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

“I think this will be the biggest blessing in disguise of my life,” Espinosa said on officially being a AAA player.Reading through comments, I think AAA moves to fast for Danny. They should have sent him on a Rehab at A ball like Werth did and allow him to adjust then move him up.Danny can't even handle AAA pitching. I am starting to feel sorry for this guy. He "Golden Sombrero'd" today with 4 K's and his BA dropped to .095 which is Mendoza ÷ 2. The pitcher he faced was ex-Os Jason Berken. Espinosa needs to be facing easier guys to get him back.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Chipper Jones is now critiquing Josh Hamilton. The Nats should bring in Chipper as a consultant. LaRoche needs a Chipper tuneup as he needs to start getting those oppo hits again which will help him on those pull hits.

41. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks Bowden. I admit 14 paragraphs was a lot, but with the Nats providing so much material lately, I had to cut it down from 50 paragraphs.And truth be told Caps Fan, I did use a whole day of work on this. Don't tell my boss!

42. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

They shouted you out on the WaPo baseball blog, do1…

43. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

"Espinosa needs to be facing easier guys to get him back."You have to wonder if Danny can hit BP fastballs during batting practice these days without striking out.Espinosas issues falls squarely on Rizzo as thats his bud. Hes covered for him for 2 years now and needs to fix him. I dont hold out much hope as 2 1/2 years never fixed Henry Rodriguez. AAA is littered with players that are poorly placed. How long before they discover that Danny Rosenbaum needs to be a relief pitcher and that Zach Walters might need a position change.

44. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM

The thing is, Danny wasn't broken last year. He didn't hit for high average, but between his defense, power, baserunning ability, etc. he was a valuable player. Maybe not as good as we'd have liked, but good nonetheless. I don't understand how the guy, if as healthy as he says, has fallen this far. I really don't.

45. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Oh great MrsB–I think my boss actually DOES follow the Nats on the Post site! Changing my handle to Unemployed1…

46. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

GYFNG!!! We need a win, so #ESF!Go GIO! So ready for some home games

47. JD - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM

David, Your comment makes too much sense but you know I have tried to have this discussion with some folks here and in the end they just get pissy so I am not hopeful that common sense will prevail. Just to illustrate your point last year Espi was 3rd in the NL for 2nd baseman by WAR which is a reasonable overall measure of a player behind only Aaron Hill and Brandon Phillips.

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Danny had a solid 2nd half of last year… I always thought he should have just got the surgeries to fix everything and then work his way back…Ultimately, I think he will be our 2nd basemen and Rendon will go back to 3rd… Zimm will probably go to 1st and Adam gone…Just my few cents…

49. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Davey today:“I think guys look at sequences — in, out, in and out — and then they start guessing, instead of going up there and looking for something hard,” he said. “I think with all this high-tech stuff, videos and all that stuff, I’ve got guys — regulars even — during the game going in to look at the video, you know? I think it’s way too much. I mean, you shouldn’t even have to look at the video during the game. You can’t think about too much. You just need to keep it simple boys. Go hacking.”Guys are going to look at video DURING THE GAME? No wonder they're overwhelmed. Everyone needs to calm down and the hits will come. They're trying to do too much.

50. JD - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Mrs. B, I am not so sure I agree. I am really liking the advantage of having a great hitting 2nd baseman gives us and I think Rendon will be great. I am also not sold on the idea of Zim moving to 1st any time soon. As far as Espi goes in addition to all the injury talk there is no denying that pitchers have figured out his uber aggressive hitting style and are using it against him by striking him out on junk, What's alarming and may be physical is the fact that he's also missing fastballs in the zone that he used to crush. He is not bad enough where he should be striking out every at bat in AAA. no way.

51. Rabbit34 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh, what a miserable lineup we have.

52. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

189 Ks and freesing in key spots. 1 for 15 in the postseason. Thats not good even tho his July – August stats were good.

53. JD - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

welcome aboard Eyeore AKA Rabbit34.

54. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Good stuff do1teach1…I probably won't laugh this hard again for at least 2 more hours when the Nationals try to hit a baseball.

55. JD - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

189 K's is not good but that is just one stat. .247 .315 .402 is very good when compared to other 2nd basemen.17 Hr's 82 runs scored and 56 RBI's is also not too shabby when compared to other 2nd basemen. 20 stolen bases and sublime defense at 2 middle infield positions is also nothing to scoff at. 2013 is an entirely different story. Danny's performance this year is below replacement level but let's not rewrite history here.

56. Rabbit34 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM

do1teach1….SO funny….and sadly SO true. Now, let's EAT FACE!

57. Candide - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yes, Espi is looking horrible even in Syracuse. But apparently, he's paying attention to the hitting coach there, and says he feels more comfortable at the plate than he has in years.May just take some time to find his groove with the new (old) approach. Got to kill his old bad habits that got him sent to AAA.

58. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Ok- now that is what I am talking about! Yesterday's haikus on twitter and today's fake fan fest. This is what is going to help us cope. As fans, we have been pressing and trying to do too much. We need to relax. And then we have our dear car y man Jayson Werth- I love that guy.

59. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

And that was— CRAZY man

60. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Hmm. Bernadina scratched from the lineup. Wonder why

61. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

JD, if Espy moved runners up, got hits in the toughest of Hi Lev situations, and didnt K at critical times I would agree with you. Still no replacing that 1 for 15 in the postseason when it counted the most.21st in 2nd base OPS for 2012 is nothing to brag about. He was behind Jhonatan Solano's brother last year! Stats that prove Espy stinks!

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Remember my theme No more losses in June.#ESF

63. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM

"Guys are going to look at video DURING THE GAME?"Seriously…that's crazy.

64. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Right, Eric? They're suffering from information overload.

65. Candide - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Remember my theme No more losses in June.Why are you telling US? Talk to the guys who have some control over it.

66. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

With any luck Bernandina is being sold to the Chunichi Dragons to team up w/ Cabrera.

67. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I would imagine so, David. Reminds me of when I go through epic phases of running scales, learning theory, etc. After awhile I start executing techniques and theoretical constructs instead of playing guitar and expressing myself.On the upside, when I take a break from it I find it easy to slip back in to just playing and all the new concepts have been internalized.Hopefully the Nats can have the same outcome, and don't wait until ASG to take a break from the learning aspect.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Shark has been scratched, back to a 2b outfield again#ESF

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Told them just need to talk it into existance.

70. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If we must have a 2B Outfielder, I'd prefer it's Kobernus over Lombo. At least Kobernus is fast.

71. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

swami, well, he's a car-y man, too. Loves him some nice wheels.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Sorry cant provide that.

73. rmoore446 - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I was one who groaned at Espy's increasingly futile at-bats and hoped for his replacement in the lineup. But I take no joy in his continuing problems at AAA. I hope he works it out as he has talent and if he can refind the groove, he'll be a major leaguer for some time to come. Given Redon's success, I doubt it will be with the Nats but it will come in a place of fresh starts.

74. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

75. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

That's a little bit different, NL. Profar is a bat you have to have in the lineup. I could live with Lombo in the OF if he hit .300. He's about to fall under the Mendoza line though.

76. Nats 128 - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

The #1 Pick overall Appel is a Boras guy and signed today. No drama there. 6 million reasons to be happy.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

JD – we will see…. I'm not sure the clubhouse is ready to give up on Espi… I wonder why Roger got scratched… Sigh, hopefully Lombo will be okay…

78. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN nowPer #Nats spokesman, Roger Bernadina was scratched because he "got something in his eye." Is available to come off the bench tonight.Uh, what? He couldn't get something out of his eye in the 30 minutes before the game?

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

NatsLady said… The Rangers are going to try to turn their top SS prospect (Profar) into a left fielder, because they already have a shortstop. Kid has never played an inning in the outfield, not even in little league. So it isn't just us. That goes back to what I say about if a guy can hit you find a place for him. LF is possibly temporary until they decide what to do with Kinsler.Profar is also very athletic. Should be a win/win for them.

80. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Gnat in the eye.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Roger Bernadina took Eat Some Face a little literally as he did something to his own eyeball.

82. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Eric– nice musical example ! And true.

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Marks tweet makes you go uhmmmm….I really like Ray Knight..

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Does the sound on the MASN pre-game broadcast sound like its in a tunnel.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Jeff Kobernus looks older than 24…

86. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Remember that baseball rules quiz? Don't feel bad.Matt Eisenberg#pointlessstatistic .0036 percent of people got 10/10 based on the percentages (aka 900 people out of 248,000+)

87. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Johnny Holliday: Bryce Harper has a shot at the All Star Game and also Ryan ZimmermanMe: Do you mean Jordan Zimmermann?

88. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Ok- so I am not the only one listening here. Yes, the sound is tinny , and theses guys are a joke. Did you hear Ray say that Espi is Davey's favorite player?

89. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

No, he meant Ryan. Ryan is third in voting for NL 3B.

90. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Speaking only for myself, I come here for Mark's own, original writing (then again, I'm in scroll mode at present due to time constraints).Nats Insider Nation awaits your own, original writing.

91. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Vin Scully on twitter tonight- I am following that.

92. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Seconded.MicheleS said… GYFNG!!! We need a win, so #ESF! Go GIO! So ready for some home games June 19, 2013 5:13 PM

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Harper presently a starter in ASG.#ESF

94. Eric - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Thanks swami, glad it made sense.Awesome about Harper and the ASG!

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I am following Vin. He welcomed. Us as usual

96. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Everyone is falling all over each other supporting Eck right now. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

97. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Come on Nats…. Eat Some Philth Face(s)…. Nats – 10Philly – 1Lets go Nats!!!!

98. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM

That's the first time Span has swung at the first pitch of the game all season. Routine fly.

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Very surprised Span swung on the first pitch…

100. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I am so tired of hearing Bob say– easy out.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Who said this morning they didnt eant to see Span to ground to first or lazy fly to left tonight?

102. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

How hard have we made the pitcher work so far?

103. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I think Span decided before the game he was going to swing at the first pitch and try to ambush Kendrick. Wasn't a great pitch to hit though.

104. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Swami…..both Davey and Rizzo were asked direct questions by the media about Eck. So what could they have said that wouldn't sound too supportive (falling over each other) or unsuppirtive (throwing him under the bus)?

105. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Another looking strikeout. Sigh.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Carp is wrong. Dodgers score 4 in game 1 to jump to 13th

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Another K with the bat on the shoulder…. *sigh*

108. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM

NatsJack– ah , the context explains it all. So that was, what, 8 pitches?

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Owe you a drink I was thinking if I should bother writing that is so common with team, and saw you already did it.I put in for Ryan Zim contest. I chalnged him to go a week without taking a called third strike nor get a swinging strikeout on a pitch out of the zone.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Span take note. Leadoff hitters need to make it base.

111. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Ugh.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Unh….

113. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM

joke of a park but michael young has just killed us all series.

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Doubt we see Philly take too many first pitch swings…

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

McCatty when you going to coach these guys not to give up runs before we are way ahead? That has to be the memo each game#ESF

116. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

So that was Gio after 8 pitches.,

117. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Gio is just challenging the offense to score more than 2 runs tonight.

118. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It's going to be a long night.

119. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Watching Philly take these at bats is just pissing me off… Ugh, patience at the plate.. Just ugh.

120. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Game winning homer by Michael Young in the 1st. We can't do two run comebacks.

121. phil dunton - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

This is beginning to feel like the dark days of 2006-2010. By the time Harper gets back, it will probably be too little too late. I have to admit that a series sweep by the Phillies would be humiliating.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM

On the Sunday game in Pittsburgh I went he gave up homer on first pitch. Loaded bases with no outs and we won 6-2.His last win.#ESF

123. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Davey says everything looks okay.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

We got this game still.

125. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Wow, Gio hasn't won since that game in Pitt?

126. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

That Pitt game seemed so long ago…Nats – 10Philly – 2

127. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Maybe if Rendon hits 3 homers…..

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

We might win 3-2….

129. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Is Adam getting out of his latest funk??? Good hit…

130. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

eat some face Jayson!

131. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM

or maybe not eat some face…maybe next AB, lack of O is just killing me.

132. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Uhm, FP, I've been saying that forever… Pitching was better last year, from both the SP and the BP…

133. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM

ok I'm not going to continue this but Chris Davis hit his 25th & 26th HR today & his team scored 13 runs!? can you imagine the board here if that happened?! come on Nats bats!!!

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Dang Desi, that was a horrible pitch to swing on…

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM

FP, where is the emotion in the at-bats. RZim just piling up the K's looking. Lazy floats and groundouts point to poor contact.

136. SCNatsFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I agree, Davey says loosen up, everything is ok, this is the team we want. I hear they are trying to turn Walters into a left fielder too. Maybe Dykstra too. Can never play enough weak hitting middle infielders.Go Nats.

137. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Why didn't Lombo pull an Utley and just turn and let that pitch glance off his belt?

138. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM

old town julie regurgitating mark's "identity" article…guess she slept in today, weak.

139. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Lombo, goddess bless him, is not a guy who should be a regular on a division winner, nor should he be utilized other than as a late inning replacement, but he is out there every night in the starting eight.

140. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Oh boy. That sideline report was excruciating. And Carp says: "Identity of the team. What does that even mean?" Classic.

141. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Gio is looking good. Sad that he made one mistake and it could cost him the game.

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Good inning Gio…

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM

No. No. No. David – no worries… We are gonna score some runs…

144. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM

And Julie says, it's isn't going to happen overnight, but it's happening. Things are turning around little by little. Too bad we've lost 4 of the last five games, but it's turning around, believe you me. I can feel it.

145. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Agree with Bob that Ramos coming back is a big addition. Assuming he stays healthy of course, which is not a safe assumption.

146. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Julie is pointless…

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

1 loss 6 no decisions

148. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Julie works for MASN/The Nats. Don't expect anything substantial out of her and you'll be able to enjoy her "commentary" a lot more. Mark, Kolko, Amanda, Kilgore are the real news people.

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Sun May 5th was the date

150. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM

hate to say it but the difference between Rzim throwing to 1B from the 3B position vs. Rendon when he played there a few times really is eye-opening.

151. SCNatsFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Ramos will help, Harper will surely help but you assume everyone stas healthy and gets on track. I have seen no evidence this is anything but an average team this year. Sadly they have become below average.

152. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Hey RZim's throws may not be great, but at least he's not committing an error a game anymore.Hope I didn't just jinx it.

153. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM

come on nats. let's go.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Davis has 66 RBI. Desi and zim each have 33 to lead team. Half of Davis

155. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

He isn't fast enough!

156. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Of course. That was a good bunt by Span and he gets thrown out anyway.

157. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Sigh…

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

This game is almost already in the win column.

159. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Span's obp down around .300.

160. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

That was a really close out… I had to look at it a couple times..

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Good play by ARendon….

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The bunt was good the sore foot must slow Span just enough not to get a hit.Better with 0 outs though.Revere stopped by Rendon.Both bunts good fielders just better.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Revere's too slow.

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

At least it was a close out :)

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

For the few of you who were negative on going from Espi to Rendon at 2nd…….

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Rendon get us started this inning.

167. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Both were good bunts but better fielding…

168. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Dangit MNf… I owe you drink… My bad…

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM

He is about as fast his Uncle Paul Revere on a horse.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I will take maalox and grenedene mix

171. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Mrs.B….that was my point.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM

How come I have this feeling after the Indian series Eck has been working with Rendon

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM

37 pitches.. Shameful…But non of the Nats look comfortable at the plate…

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… Span's obp down around .300. Yes but good to see him finally lay down a bunt. He needs to do that more. With his speed plus the jump from the lefty batter's box he can beat those out. Kendrick made a good defensive play on him.

175. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We are getting very close to getting a man on base.

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Why pull an outside pitch. Drive it to right don't pull.

177. paul brandt - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

why did Rzim get married? haha.

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM

When you are sinking at sea anyway like Span is, you might as well try a different stroke….

179. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM

David, I don't know if you were watching last year, but Kristina was never that inane. That's why she's now working for MLB Network. She was too good for the job (and got sick of the team trying to soak her with Gatorade). This wasn't quite as embarrassing as the feature on the new Club 3 was, but it was close. Team Identity, what does that even mean? I love it.

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Gio might not get great support but this is basically at least the second time that he has blown the game for us in the 1st inning, just as he did in the opening series against the Braves.

181. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I watched last year and liked Kristina, but she was the exception not the rule to these sideline reporters. Also, it's easier to report when things are going well than when they're going bad.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Frustrating…l

183. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

222, spot on, bro…at least have some insight…& don't tell me the lerners are reviewing her "stories"…silly! 222, thanks, so right…see ine of 736pm.

184. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

It is sort of demeaning the way that they always choose a tiny cute girl/woman for that job. Apparently, looks are part of the job requirement for sideline reporter.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

ALR swings at one at least 8 inside instead of taking the walk.It that hitting approach along with pulling outside pitches that create few men on base.

186. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

This game is a definite crossroads. What the bleep is going on. Awful at-bats so far even by Anthony Rendon. 1 hit in the 3.5 hole and 1 line drive by Lombo that was caught. Nats swinging for the fences as usual and catching lots of air. Get line drives!

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

He is pitching much better tonight. I was at that game too.

188. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

9 outs in a row by Gio, but he couldn't get it done when it mattered unfortunately. There is not a lot of margin for error for Nats pitchers.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Gio pushing way too many counts to 3 balls and gives up the leadoff walk.

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Uhm… Julie isn't that cute..

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I watch many games a week. It is a requirement.

192. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I think Julie is pretty cute. But she sucks at her job.

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Wow, you sound like some of my frat brothers. My standards must not be so high….

194. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I'm not saying Eck is the problem but he isn't the answer… Nats are just lifeless….They all look uncomfortable….

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Hard to hit 3 run homers when bases are empty.

196. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM

MrsB, funny, just put a wig & some make-up on Johnny Holiday and let him do it.

197. Section 222 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The idea of Zim making the relay throw for a DP is a little scary.

198. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I have no issue acknowledging if a woman is pretty or not… Kristina was pretty… Cari C is pretty… Pam (on Fox) is not pretty… Just like I don think Kristina is….And Howard swung…

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Presently no room for error.That is why importantnot to give up any runs.

200. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

WE GOT A RUNNER!!!!!!!

201. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… I'm not saying Eck is the problem but he isn't the answer… Nats are just lifeless….That's how I see it. Just this lack of urgency and the lack of 2 out rallies just makes it seem on this 1st pitch swinging that the Nats are in a hurry to get some where. Just collecting pay checks.

202. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Hold the presses 2-5 putout

203. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Carp owes me a drink.

204. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM

What do you know, another 3 ball count.

205. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Carp owes you a drink.

206. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yeah Steve M, I hate first pitch swinging… It's just, idk… And I see how he is the scape goat but you have to look at what he is doing… Or not doing….Idk, I'm really frustrated right now…

207. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Rendon is a good looking guy.

208. Candide - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said…Idk, I'm really frustrated right now?Frustrated…I almost turned the TV off after the Nats went down 2-0 in the first. How often do they come from behind to win?And now they're at one hit through four. Ugh.

209. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sigh. That had hit into CF written all over it.

210. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

All our runners are one step to slow

211. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

This total and complete lack of offense almost seems impossible for a major league team. You would think a pitcher would make a mistake or someone would close his eyes and run into one. It's kind of creepy, like a bad dream.

212. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I have never seen anything like this in my entire life.

213. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Werth with an ill advised turn back into the field instead of running up the line. What if Ryan Howard came off 1st and you were called safe? That would be embarrassing to then get tagged out.

214. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Remember this guy gave up 4 in 5 innings last time.

215. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Paul Brandt……You are absolutely right about Chris Davis of the Os. The sad truth is that the Os have about seven hitters who are providing way more offense than any players currently in the Nats lineup.

216. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

This is painful to watch. I feel bad for our pitchers (well, i would if they weren't all millionaires).

217. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Now Lombo is slow and that's no joke.

218. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

All 3 batters out by one step

219. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I made this comment before….When talking about the team identity, it seems what DJ wants, he doesn't have the personnel to give to him… Everyone is looking like they are swinging for the stands, when we need base runners right now… And here it is, Kendrick just gave up 7 runs or so in his last outting and once again the Nats are making him look like a damn CY pitcher…You can only tip your cap so many times to opposing pitchers and say, well they were on… No the Nats are off….Maybe firing Eck will change some things… I'm not advocating for it, yet, but something has to give…

220. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

WODL– I have been watching baseball a long time and I do not remember seeing this futile an offense. Again- not even any BABIP luck now and then. Throwaway the notebook and hit the darn ball as hard as you can!!!!!

221. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

All 3 runners out by a step.

222. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Terrible, terrible pitch by Gio to Young.

223. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM

But, no , Eck is wonderful- no problem- great hitting coach. Just see the results he gets?

224. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I mean in the beginning, the pitching was bad… Then the defense was bad… And now our inability to score runs is just stupid…I can't wait for all 3 to be on at the same *explitive* time…

225. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

That is why I knew that Tracy's homer the other night was superflous. There was little chance that we could score in extra innings, at least the first few.

226. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM

*think happy thoughts*. We are going to score 4 runs this inning….

227. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Maybe Gio will help himself with the bat.

228. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yankees and Dodgers is on ESPN2, or I could go play catch in the yard with my transistor radio playing. I can just as easily listen to nothing happening as watch it….

229. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Eck won't be fired…he's protected species. Even the press is afraid to criticize him. Consider him the "seventh son" of Mike Rizzo. If Bos ever wrote an article critical of Eck, he would never get another interview with Rizzo. It might even end his 50 year career at the Wash Post.

230. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

If we get shut out again tonight, I think imma lose it…

231. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I guess not. Rollins could have sprinted the 1st base bag and beat Gio to 1st.

232. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM

You can pitch a great game the rest of the way, but when Gio immediately puts a guy on and then throws the fattest pitch that I have ever seen to Michael Young, that does nothing to help a struggling offensive team.

233. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

234. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

What is Span looking at?

235. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

This game is going to be over by 9 pm.

236. Candide - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Worse and worse. If I thought I was going to live 20 or 30 thousand years, I'd stick around.But I probably won't. So I'm outta here. Got a good book to finish.

237. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Nats Lady is a big Span fan! Maybe she can defend him. I can't.

238. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… I was highly dubious of the Span trade to begin with.Anyone want to defend it now? What happened to the Denard Span that existed in Minnesota?

239. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

We have Werth and Zimmerman signed for years. If this is par for the course, we are in big trouble.

240. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hey everyone,I'm going to step in here and make a preemptive plea, sensing how this game is playing out and what the reactions are certain to be.Please feel free to criticize, complain, rant, whatever you need to do. But foul language and insulting remarks directed at ANYONE will not be tolerated. I'm counting on you all to keep it civil and respectful, and I know you will.Thanks.

241. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Willam will say Span's been declining for years, etc. Regardless, if Span got on base at a .340 clip or so, he' be fine. .305 or whatever it is will simply not cut it.

242. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Nats have 3 innings left to make some noise.

243. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Ghost, look at his stats. His first two years there were great, then pretty much the offensive slide started. He had a high WAR last year, based on defense mostly, and I am dubious of things that remain unseen.

244. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

3-2 to a light hitting opposing pitcher and he walks him in 8 pitches! Are you kidding me?

245. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I'll continue to defend and like the Span signing….Morse – injury prone, horrible OF, can give a big bat but uhm, isn't he batting in the 240s right now….I'm also glad we resigned Adam LaRoche…EVERYONE is under performing right now… Not just Span…

246. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Next inning is our opportunity. Rendon-Zim-ALR. If we don't score then, the game is probably over.

247. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

no reason to get mad…this is actually comical now…if Dick Vitale was doing the color commentary tonight, Dicky V would say"get the brooms out, get the brooms out"

248. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Did Gio really walk the pitcher???? Lol… Laughable…

249. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Span has never been the productive player he was before his serious concussion problems in Minnesota. That was likely a factor in their decision to trade him while he still had trade value.

250. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM

mick, that's all we can do is laugh or cry. It's just sad. I know the Nats can come back but someone has to get on base!

251. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM

phil, I'd be happy with Span's 2012 OBP right now.

252. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

good job Gio, he's pitched well and like Bob said, is doing his job, need the offense to do the same.

253. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Span doesn't have to get on base at a .360 clip or steal 20 bases. He needs to get on base at a .340 or .350 clip, which is doable even for him. He knows his swing is screwed up, but what I don't understand is why he isn't taking walks anymore.

254. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Aww man…. I just heard about the guy from the Sopranos… He died… I didnt get into the show…So sad…Come on Nats…. We only need 2 runs to get back to 0-0…

255. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Wegot them wherr we wsnt them.#ESF

256. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

DP, b/c the opposing pitcher is throwing strikes, why wouldn't you throw strikes to Span given his lack of hitting?

257. Rabbit34 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM

So far it's Face Eaten.

258. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Do you have to wear a lanysrd to sit in the front row?

259. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yeah MNF – Zimm is about to hit a double….

260. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Like FP said, the score might as wellbe 20-0. It sure fels like it.

261. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ron Gardenhire never pushed Denard to play every day like Davey does. The workload could be a factor. Just sayin'

262. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Time to get to Cy Kendrik

263. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Thanks Mark. I ducked out of following the blog for a few innings although I continued to listen to the radio broadcat. Glancing back a bit, I've seen much worse in recent games. Still a warning is probably a good idea. As for your opening of this as a "must win" I can't say I sense any urgency this game although sensing anything over the radio is difficult.

264. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Thanks , Mark. Might be necessary for you to have a quick hook. I need to stop thinking we have hit bottom. Yikes.

265. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

A walk's a rally right now.

266. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

MrsB loves the Nats i am bummed…he died of heart attack in Italy

267. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM

per Bob, Rzim is our "second base-runner tonight"

268. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM

The Nats aren't guessing right. Think changeup and guess right and rip one of those!

269. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Kendrick is not this good….

270. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Zim first RISP since 9h inning monday

271. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

thanks Mark…just read your post

272. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Zim first RISP since 9h inning monday====You are lying… Lol… Please tell me…

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

274. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hey, we got a run.

275. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Cy Kendrick Young…

276. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

the red sea has parted

277. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Okay… Good hitting JDubbs…. We got a run… Now I won't lose it…

278. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

RISP 1 for 1 for last 2 games.Rally napkin working.

279. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Eck should be telling these guys to sit on that changeup that is slightly better than a BP fastball and send it out.=======Eck is too busy looking into his worthless notebook….

280. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice. LaRoche instead of K-ing made contact and moved the runner over. Amazing how that works. That just doesn't happen enough. It's called a productive out even though he didn't intend to do that.

281. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Ian fouled back the hanger. When on that is a homer

282. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Good job JDub. The difference was that LaRoche advanced the runner instead of K-ing. Even though he didn't intend a swinging bunt that was still a productive out.

283. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

You beat me to it Manassas. I was going to say:"Hey, don't say the Nats aren't clutch. They're batting 1.000 with RISP the last two games!"

284. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Ian has had some lousy at bats tonight….

285. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Well that "rally" was nice while it lasted.

286. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

We got a run boys and girls!!The Nationals look absolutely disconsolate (only word I know that accurately describes them). Poor Nats Can Harper provide the spark — or are they on the cusp of mentally packing it Aaaaall in?

287. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM

so now Desi can't hit? un-real.

288. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

…still a productive outMe and the Wonkling complain about that all the time. I'm proud that the little one knows that phrase so well.(On the other hand, she knows it so well because I keep complaining at the TV: "C'mon! Just make a productive out!"

289. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

the late great George Carlin had a line that would apply perfectly to Nats hitters.."watching the Nats try to hit is like watching two flies (fill in the blank)"

290. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM

291. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What a sterling effort by Gio! (except for one pitch)

292. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Poor Gio. One bad pitch and he's gonna get the loss.

293. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I guess eating the faces did not work out so well, lol

294. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I didnt think it was a bad pitch by Gio….

295. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

fast moving game, under 2 hours so far

296. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

The Nats need a psychologist more than a hitting coach. but not the psychologist from The Natural hahaGotta feel for Gio — let's rest him now, Davey. Don't let him suffer a bad 8th inning! Was anyone getting warm in the pen? I'm guessing NO

297. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM

The home run pitch was an awful pitch. It was a fastball right down the middle. But that's the only mistake he's made the entire night.

298. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

no problem at all with Gio, not an issue

299. Eric - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Man. Poor Gio. More wasted brilliance if we don't wake up and hit.DO IT NATS!

300. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Lombo — I don't think so

301. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… The Nats need a psychologist more than a hitting coach. They already hired Dr. Llewelyn onto their staff as the teams sporst psychologist.

302. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I didn't know that!! Maybe we should be blaming the good doctor as much if not more than we blame Eck!!!

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Lombo has to beat that ball out.

304. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Imma have to look at the Brown HR again… But even so still, 2 runs…. 2 measly runs and we are struggling…I'd rather have Shark in than Lombo..l

305. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Trifecta time for Chad Tracy.

306. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

they need Dr Vinnie boon bots, he is my doctor….I saw him last week, I said "Doc, I wake up every morning, look in the mirror and feel like I wan to throw up, whats wrong with me?"he says, "I dunno, but your eye sight is perfect"

307. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Re: Mark's plea for civility at 8:31 PM.Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is such a a great site when the discussions and opinions are cooking, and the baseball wisdom flowing. But the name-calling et al, ugh!GYFNG!!

308. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

mick said…fast moving game, under 2 hours so farmick, agree, thank goodness!

309. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

my dentist isn't any better, I said "Doc what are you going to do about my yellow teeth?"he told me to wear a brown neck tie

310. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Assuming you can find a corner position for Morse, there is no comparison between him and Span. Morse is over 120 OPS+ and Span is under 80. They should have platooned La Roche and Morse and left Harper in center field. It is called being too clever by half when you make changes that don't need to be made.

311. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Who knew that rooting for the Nats primarily consisted of watching the ESPN gamecast of whoever is playing the Braves. Go Mets!

312. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I haven't been watching or listening since the last Cleveland debacle and have been much happier.I can stand a bad team that trys hard, a bad team that over achieves, but I cannot stand a talented team that under achieves and quits. I cannot stand to watch this team. They are very talented but not very good.

313. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Marerro…. Really….

314. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Antonio, that BASTARD-O is pitching lol

315. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

The team has not quit. They do care. They just aren't playing well.Marrero has been useless, as expected. Calling someone up from AAA isn't always the answer, folks.

316. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Byron Kerr‏@masnKerr2m Brian Goodwin 3-3 tonight. 3 singles, 1 run, BB

317. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

no words

318. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

David,With all due respect they have been mailing this season in since the Orioles series.

319. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

where is Dicky V? "Get the brooms out"

320. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Wow just saw this: Espinosa is 14/21 at Syr. – that's 14 k's in 21 official ab's!!Went 0-4 with 4 k's today.

321. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

1 runner in scoring position the last 17 innings. Of course, it doesn't seem to matter whether we get runners into scoring position anyway, see Sunday at Cleveland.

322. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

David Proctor said… Marrero has been useless, as expected. Calling someone up from AAA isn't always the answer, folks.Is that right? Seems Rendon and Ohlendorf and Abad worked out well and Ian K-rol from AA has been great.What Davey doesn't do is get these guys right into action. He lets them sit on the bench and they get rusty quickly. Tough to watch.

323. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

right now…on June 19.. the Orioles are the best team in MLB.now that is painful to post

324. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

325. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

The word is Moribund.The Nats are moribund

326. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Ho ho, the Mets score 3 to tie it with Atlanta at 3-3 then the Braves answer back with 2.

327. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

DJ messed up by not riding the hot hand with Marerro and Kobernus….

328. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Watch it Mick — Mark's been censoring Oriole people lately

329. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…If Span doesn't do something significant next inning, I think he needs to see some serious pine time.if they don't sit Haren so far, there is no way they will sit SpanBTW Span has zero homers this year

330. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If you had our pitching and the Orioles line-up, then you would have 120 game winner. I like Machado but it makes me sad to see him so clearly outdoing Bryce.

331. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Mick, great pitching beats great hitting and the Os pitching STINKS. If they do what needs to be done and get Cliff Lee, then I think they can make noise otherwise I don't even expect them to make the playoffs.

332. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said…Watch it Mick — Mark's been censoring Oriole people latelythanks for heads up, but I hate the O's…I was just posting reality

333. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Span's lack of power shouldn't surprise anyone. So many fans thought Span was The Answer — even the Twins didn't want him.We should have signed Bourne — who was available — not Span. Rizzo went cheap — and he got cheap.

334. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I was thinking triple or at least double by Span. He isn't doing a lot of those anymore.

335. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

That was a quick inning for Clippard…. Gosh, I don't remember the last time we saw 1 of those…

336. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Rock bottom. But no changes will be made. Fire Eck now.

337. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

338. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I love the Nats as an entity but really hate this group of players. They just don't click. No fire in the belly. They just lose and don't get pissed about it. A little honest anger would be appreciated. Is anybody there, does anybody care.Other than Haren I loved the moves they made this winter. What happened to last years infectious enthusiasm. I loved to watch that team even when they lost. This bunch not so much.

339. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

How many pitches this inning? The over/under is 8.

340. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I don't think anyone wants to re-transmit this broadcast in any form anyway….

341. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM

mick said… Ghost, you know Iove you and respect your opinions, however, on this I very respectfully disagree…I hope your right, because if O's make it, that will be hell on Earth Machado is the real deal. That team will regress to the mean at some point. The Red Sox have good pitching and will improve at the trade deadline.

342. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM

After WERTh drove Ina run Desi gets up and comes out of his shoes trying to hit a HR

343. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Machado might be the best player in MLB this year.Maybe Span could get a walk.

344. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Yes… Span on base….

345. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Span was beaten to the bag again!

346. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I can't believe Span was swinging and just lucky Papelbon couldn't get that ball.Eat Some Face!!!!

347. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

nats guy I agree with you, only Werth has shown anger with the eat their faces comment

348. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Span has to beat that out cleanly.

349. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Hate the o,s also so. But every once in a while you have to flip them on so you can see what hits and runs look like.

350. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Rendon gives it a ride. Just right at the RF. Come on RZim!

351. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

There is Babip bad luck for Rendon. At least we will make the over on pitches!

352. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Come on, fellows!

353. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

If they can't bring the Leadoff guy home… What's the point in him getting on base…

354. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Problem is you can't sed Lombo down. We already have a guy there trying to learn to hit. Just get him ut of the outfield.If Span dies on 1st base in the ninth then I call for Davey's head.

355. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Papelbon is not the lights out closer he used to be in Boston a few years ago. He can be hit but can the Nats hit him?

356. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Zimmerman can't make contact.

357. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Right…down…the…middle…..

358. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Pathetic at bat by Zimmerman. Simply terrible.

359. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Zim got pitches to hit. That's a shame.

360. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Ironically, Zim is indeed "the face of the franchise"As Archie Bunker would say "Death, where is thy sting"

361. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Papelbon missed his spot and Zimmerman swings through a center cut fastball.

362. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Face of the Franchise! Trade him while he still has a bit of value.

363. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

3 under 500…who would have thunk it!

364. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

La Roche can't make contact.

365. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Paper on is leaving them right down the middle….

366. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Papelbon*. Dang iPad….

367. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Dicky V says "GET THE BROOMS OUT"

368. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

We need some balks.

369. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM

How does Span not reach third?

370. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Zimm is an embarrassment. Bat him 8th.. This team loses 90 games this year. BOOK IT.

371. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

372. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Werth has showed up. Both runs today.

373. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Eat face!!!!

374. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Span is werthlessWerth is eating some face

375. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

One clutch player on the whole team, well two with Rendon, maybe.

376. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

sit down Dicky V!

377. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

You know Philly fans are choking on the Werth rbis

378. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Lol… Adam LaRoche and his blazing speed….

379. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Hurray! Never had any doubts.

380. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Terrible at bat so far by Desmond.

381. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I can't believe Ian has been this bad…. Dang…

382. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Desmond has to do a better job there. He's the last guy I want to get on because he's been one of our most consistent bats…but come on man.

383. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

So much for Desmond being hot. His at bat and Zimmerman's at bad were so bad as to be ineffable.

384. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

WERTh eats Philly face. Only guy with heart.

385. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Ian looking clueless tonight.Lets hope the bullpen shows because it might be awhile until we score.Pease please please win tonight.

386. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Desmond needs to stop swinging for the fences, especially when we just need a single. That's what got Danny in trouble.

387. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Ian swinging for a homer not contact.When he is on he gets homer not swinging hard. Most hard swings are either a miss or a groubder to short.Going to work on Gio stats for post game comments

388. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I am not sure I like this Clipp move to stay in…

389. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Desi has to make contact right there… Man on 3rd…MnF, where ya at???

390. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

that is the mark of a really bad team… no consistency, Desmond should have made contact, no excuse.. His 279 average means nothing… no clutch in him at all…

391. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Nice play by Ian!

392. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Bring in Soriano now. Hopes its not déjà vu from Monday.

393. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Efficient inning so far!

394. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM

wasian man…I know i will get blasted, but Zim looks like he could give a rats you know what

395. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

?

396. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Sometimes I think Suzuki should come out and talk to his pitchers more…

397. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It's bad enough Mick w don't score or even hit. The strikeouts are pathetic. Zimm and Ian just make me sick. Just get the bat on the ball.itsmone thing to K if you hit a homer now and then. But NOTHING???

398. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Ol' King Krol was a merry old soul….

399. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Ian Krol in a big spot in his young career. Against Ryan Howard.

400. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM

wasian…your right about thatWilliam O. Douglas Loeffler said…Ol' King Krol was a merry old soul….lol

401. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM

What is really sad is that Ryan is exceeding his career average in ops+ this year.

402. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Agree Mick. He's no leader. And he's no player either. Dump him while we can.

403. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM

First real pressure spot for Krol.Go Ian

404. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM

That was a K… Come on Blue…

405. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Big moment for Krol… Come on kid, you can do it!

406. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM

If we lose this, Davey should make them wear "Natinals" jerseys tomorrow….

407. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM

So here comes the weak single to the outfield…

408. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM

So much for our efficient inning….

409. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Come on Krol…. I will take a pop up here… Lets get this last out!

410. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I was sure that was going to bloop in. Whew!

411. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Lets win this thing in extra innings! Lets go Nats!!!!

412. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Walk made me think he is a true Nat in tge 9th

413. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM

We got this one, he said hopefully.

414. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… For the love of the Baseball Gods please find a way for the Nats to win this game and of course for the Braves to lose. June 19, 2013 8:58 PMThank you Baseball Gods for the 2 runs and hoping you help the Nats to victory in extra innings!

415. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Not confident in the bottom of our lineup. If we can hold the Phillies, I think we can win in the 11th.

416. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Lombardozzi just needs more muscle on those to get them through the middle.

417. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Wow I thought the above post was kidding Danny with 4 Ks tonight. At least Moore has 2 hits.We do hit home runs once in awhile, don't we?

418. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Lombo is too slow for those kinds of balls in play. He never beats them out.

419. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Good hit Suzuki…. Lol, he has a weird run….

420. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I don't want Kobernus bunting….

421. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM

FP – I have no problem with an ambush bunt for a hit or a wild pitch.

422. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Wild Pitch…. Come on, guys… Let do this!!!

423. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Balk?

424. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Oh Kobernus.

425. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM

426. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Span.

427. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Dammit.

428. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Dang….

429. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Pathetic

430. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Worst acquisition since Nyger Morgan.

431. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Tired of seeing Lombo in the line up… Terrible swing/at bat Kobernus…Was hoping for Span to make contact and then willing that ball to go further….

432. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Kobernus strands runner on third with 1 out topping a ball which is ok unless hit right at anfielder.We havent done that since Sunday.

433. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Keep it here, Drew and we'll win it in the 11th like I said all along. Rendon, Zim, LaRoche in that inning.

434. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM

SCNatsFan said… Wow our situational hitting approach is just horrid. What a horrible swing, what a horrible at bat by our pinch hitter.Yep, hard to argue with that.

435. do1teach1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

The method of torture is not known. The outcome of the torture is known.

436. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Remember those SAT questions:Lastings Milledge, Nyger Morgan, ________Denard Span.

437. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

that was so lame….Span was just pathetic… I have defended him all season, but that showed me he is simply an average no account hitter when you need him just terrible

438. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Ever since Span fouled the first ball off his foot, he has been off…. He needs a day off or so…Kobernus has to get better contact with 1 out…

439. Eric - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Welcome to the Jungle may have been the perfect song choice. Well played Philly.Go Storen!!!

440. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I'm kind of in the mood to see a 20 inning game with some infielders pitching….

441. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

NYjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJer

442. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

storen needs a 1-2-3

443. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Elijah Dukes, Marlon Byrd….

444. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I would have put Soriano in here…

445. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Storen barely lifts his left leg at all now — change your mechanics — you're playing with fire

446. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

For some reason Bowden and Rizzo bring a constant flow of mediocre, overhyped outfielders to our team….

447. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I guess now that Espi is gone, another scape goat is needed… D Span…Cool beans…

448. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Damn!!! Good Pitch, Drew!!!

449. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Wow drew has really developed that change

450. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM

As far back as Galvis was a drag bunt by Span probably would work.Davey and I never agree to that call.

451. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Nice pitch Drew… Good call Suzuki!

452. NatsLady - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Good evening. Did I miss anything?

453. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM

When your lead-off guy gets on base at under .300, he is definitely ready to be scaped….

454. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Watch Rendon take Stutes deep — in comes Soriano and put it in the books

455. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

My nerves aren't built for baseball…

456. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

The Phillies working each count on Storen. Do you think their hitting coach talked strategy with them?

457. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I dunno wanna jinx….but defense is on point.

458. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Steve M – lets not talk about this… I made mention of that in the first inning….

459. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

He hit a good pitch — just didn't find an infielder

460. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Just don't give up he gopher ball, here Storen …

461. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Lol at the folks jumping behind home plate… Every Nats game I go to, I make sure I sit not in a likely area to get the ball….

462. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Good job Drew.

463. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Good inning Drew… Good inning…Here comes 2 runs, right here…. *burning sage, chocking a chicken, rubbing the 4 leaf clovers*

464. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Good job, Storen!!!! We are scoring runs this inning — yes we Can (thinking positively)

465. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Who beat out a hit in the 9th and scored the second run? I forget

466. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I'm itching for the rendon/harper combo….but werth needs one more in him.

467. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Shaun Marcum for Dan Haren? Any thoughts?

468. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Drew did his job! Now the Nats bats need to do their and make Drew a winner!

469. Drew - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Intermission:Tyler Jordan was brilliant again. He gave up one earned in 8 innings for Harrisburg.His ERA at Harrisburg is 0.73.

470. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Anthony, I love you man but what was that? That's not your game. Doubles!

471. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

LaRoche is hot again — although no one knows it yet. He may knock it out right here, right now after Zim

472. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

RZim, keep your head on the ball!

473. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM

What happened to Rendon? I was putting a load in the wash machine…

474. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

and LaRoche puts us ahead right here for good

475. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

There it is Zim!

476. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Just an outfield single, please….

477. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

That's why we needed just a hit from Rendon. Good shot Ryan.

478. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Zimmerman got the hit… Trade him!!!!

479. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Sunshine..i really need some maalox and bourbon.. seriously, I am developing an ulcer

480. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Werth.

481. Scott Margenau - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Just got in… Why didn't we score on Kob's grounder to right side?

482. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I don't think I would have chosen to pitch to Werth. Oh well, Charlie, its your poison.

483. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Be nice for JDubbs to make 'em pay!!!!

484. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Take a HBP for the team JDub.Eat Some Face!

485. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:22 AM

That was a ball… Come on blue….

486. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:22 AM

A B.S. call — well below the knees. I still hate umpires

487. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I hope someone told dezi a single is OK!

488. Drew - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I meant Taylor Jordan.Resume hyperventilating, incantations.Speaking of burning sage, Werth was incensed.

489. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Bases are loaded with 1 out… Come on Desi… Base hit… Base hit…. Base hit…. Base hit…

490. Scott Margenau - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Wow!!!! Let's go Ian!!

491. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

We need either a balk or for Desmond to let the ball hit him….

492. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

All Desi has to do is elevate a ball to the outfield.

493. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Need to hit to the outfield

494. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Stutes just said: Oh, I thought you wanted me to walk Werth too!!! haha

495. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM

come on desi.. you can doo itttttt….

496. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Desi is pulling his head off the ball something fierce. If I can see it, cant Eck??? or Davey??? Stay on the ball, D

497. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM