Game 71: Nats at Phillies

Jun 19, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — I hate using the term "must-win" in baseball, especially on June 19. But let's be honest: This is about as close to a "must-win" game as the Nationals have faced all season. They've lost three in a row. They risk getting swept (and passed in the standings) by the Phillies. And they're clearly at a potentially fragile juncture of the season, knowing they not only can't afford to fall any deeper into a hole but that they need to start climbing upward ASAP.

So, it's up to this lineup to finally get something going against Kyle Kendrick, against whom they've had success in the past (he's 4-6 with a 4.90 ERA in 20 career games against the Nationals). Tonight's key, in my mind: The two guys at the top of the lineup. Denard Span is in a major funk right now, hitting .164 with a .220 OBP this month. Anthony Rendon, on the other hand, has been fantastic since his return from the minors, hitting .395 with a .435 OBP. If those two guys can get on base, the opportunities will be there for Ryan Zimmerman, Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond.

Gio Gonzalez gets the start for the Nationals, facing the exact same Phillies lineup that scratched out four runs against Ross Detwiler last night.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 78 degrees, Wind 3 mph LF to RF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… I'm not saying Eck is the problem but he isn't the answer… Nats are just lifeless….That's how I see it. Just this lack of urgency and the lack of 2 out rallies just makes it seem on this 1st pitch swinging that the Nats are in a hurry to get some where. Just collecting pay checks.

2. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Hold the presses 2-5 putout

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Carp owes me a drink.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM

What do you know, another 3 ball count.

5. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Carp owes you a drink.

6. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yeah Steve M, I hate first pitch swinging… It's just, idk… And I see how he is the scape goat but you have to look at what he is doing… Or not doing….Idk, I'm really frustrated right now…

7. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Rendon is a good looking guy.

8. Candide - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said…Idk, I'm really frustrated right now?Frustrated…I almost turned the TV off after the Nats went down 2-0 in the first. How often do they come from behind to win?And now they're at one hit through four. Ugh.

9. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sigh. That had hit into CF written all over it.

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

All our runners are one step to slow

11. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

This total and complete lack of offense almost seems impossible for a major league team. You would think a pitcher would make a mistake or someone would close his eyes and run into one. It's kind of creepy, like a bad dream.

12. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I have never seen anything like this in my entire life.

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Werth with an ill advised turn back into the field instead of running up the line. What if Ryan Howard came off 1st and you were called safe? That would be embarrassing to then get tagged out.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Remember this guy gave up 4 in 5 innings last time.

15. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Paul Brandt……You are absolutely right about Chris Davis of the Os. The sad truth is that the Os have about seven hitters who are providing way more offense than any players currently in the Nats lineup.

16. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

This is painful to watch. I feel bad for our pitchers (well, i would if they weren't all millionaires).

17. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Now Lombo is slow and that's no joke.

18. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

All 3 batters out by one step

19. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I made this comment before….When talking about the team identity, it seems what DJ wants, he doesn't have the personnel to give to him… Everyone is looking like they are swinging for the stands, when we need base runners right now… And here it is, Kendrick just gave up 7 runs or so in his last outting and once again the Nats are making him look like a damn CY pitcher…You can only tip your cap so many times to opposing pitchers and say, well they were on… No the Nats are off….Maybe firing Eck will change some things… I'm not advocating for it, yet, but something has to give…

20. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

WODL– I have been watching baseball a long time and I do not remember seeing this futile an offense. Again- not even any BABIP luck now and then. Throwaway the notebook and hit the darn ball as hard as you can!!!!!

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

All 3 runners out by a step.

22. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Terrible, terrible pitch by Gio to Young.

23. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM

But, no , Eck is wonderful- no problem- great hitting coach. Just see the results he gets?

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I mean in the beginning, the pitching was bad… Then the defense was bad… And now our inability to score runs is just stupid…I can't wait for all 3 to be on at the same *explitive* time…

25. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

That is why I knew that Tracy's homer the other night was superflous. There was little chance that we could score in extra innings, at least the first few.

26. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM

*think happy thoughts*. We are going to score 4 runs this inning….

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Maybe Gio will help himself with the bat.

28. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yankees and Dodgers is on ESPN2, or I could go play catch in the yard with my transistor radio playing. I can just as easily listen to nothing happening as watch it….

29. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Eck won't be fired…he's protected species. Even the press is afraid to criticize him. Consider him the "seventh son" of Mike Rizzo. If Bos ever wrote an article critical of Eck, he would never get another interview with Rizzo. It might even end his 50 year career at the Wash Post.

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

If we get shut out again tonight, I think imma lose it…

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I guess not. Rollins could have sprinted the 1st base bag and beat Gio to 1st.

32. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM

You can pitch a great game the rest of the way, but when Gio immediately puts a guy on and then throws the fattest pitch that I have ever seen to Michael Young, that does nothing to help a struggling offensive team.

33. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

What is Span looking at?

35. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

This game is going to be over by 9 pm.

36. Candide - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Worse and worse. If I thought I was going to live 20 or 30 thousand years, I'd stick around.But I probably won't. So I'm outta here. Got a good book to finish.

37. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Nats Lady is a big Span fan! Maybe she can defend him. I can't.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… I was highly dubious of the Span trade to begin with.Anyone want to defend it now? What happened to the Denard Span that existed in Minnesota?

39. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

We have Werth and Zimmerman signed for years. If this is par for the course, we are in big trouble.

40. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hey everyone,I'm going to step in here and make a preemptive plea, sensing how this game is playing out and what the reactions are certain to be.Please feel free to criticize, complain, rant, whatever you need to do. But foul language and insulting remarks directed at ANYONE will not be tolerated. I'm counting on you all to keep it civil and respectful, and I know you will.Thanks.

41. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Willam will say Span's been declining for years, etc. Regardless, if Span got on base at a .340 clip or so, he' be fine. .305 or whatever it is will simply not cut it.

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Nats have 3 innings left to make some noise.

43. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Ghost, look at his stats. His first two years there were great, then pretty much the offensive slide started. He had a high WAR last year, based on defense mostly, and I am dubious of things that remain unseen.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

3-2 to a light hitting opposing pitcher and he walks him in 8 pitches! Are you kidding me?

45. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I'll continue to defend and like the Span signing….Morse – injury prone, horrible OF, can give a big bat but uhm, isn't he batting in the 240s right now….I'm also glad we resigned Adam LaRoche…EVERYONE is under performing right now… Not just Span…

46. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Next inning is our opportunity. Rendon-Zim-ALR. If we don't score then, the game is probably over.

47. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

no reason to get mad…this is actually comical now…if Dick Vitale was doing the color commentary tonight, Dicky V would say"get the brooms out, get the brooms out"

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Did Gio really walk the pitcher???? Lol… Laughable…

49. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Span has never been the productive player he was before his serious concussion problems in Minnesota. That was likely a factor in their decision to trade him while he still had trade value.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM

mick, that's all we can do is laugh or cry. It's just sad. I know the Nats can come back but someone has to get on base!

51. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM

phil, I'd be happy with Span's 2012 OBP right now.

52. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

good job Gio, he's pitched well and like Bob said, is doing his job, need the offense to do the same.

53. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Span doesn't have to get on base at a .360 clip or steal 20 bases. He needs to get on base at a .340 or .350 clip, which is doable even for him. He knows his swing is screwed up, but what I don't understand is why he isn't taking walks anymore.

54. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Aww man…. I just heard about the guy from the Sopranos… He died… I didnt get into the show…So sad…Come on Nats…. We only need 2 runs to get back to 0-0…

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Wegot them wherr we wsnt them.#ESF

56. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

DP, b/c the opposing pitcher is throwing strikes, why wouldn't you throw strikes to Span given his lack of hitting?

57. Rabbit34 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM

So far it's Face Eaten.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Do you have to wear a lanysrd to sit in the front row?

59. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yeah MNF – Zimm is about to hit a double….

60. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Like FP said, the score might as wellbe 20-0. It sure fels like it.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ron Gardenhire never pushed Denard to play every day like Davey does. The workload could be a factor. Just sayin'

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Time to get to Cy Kendrik

63. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Thanks Mark. I ducked out of following the blog for a few innings although I continued to listen to the radio broadcat. Glancing back a bit, I've seen much worse in recent games. Still a warning is probably a good idea. As for your opening of this as a "must win" I can't say I sense any urgency this game although sensing anything over the radio is difficult.

64. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Thanks , Mark. Might be necessary for you to have a quick hook. I need to stop thinking we have hit bottom. Yikes.

65. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

A walk's a rally right now.

66. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

MrsB loves the Nats i am bummed…he died of heart attack in Italy

67. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM

per Bob, Rzim is our "second base-runner tonight"

68. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM

The Nats aren't guessing right. Think changeup and guess right and rip one of those!

69. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Kendrick is not this good….

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Zim first RISP since 9h inning monday

71. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

thanks Mark…just read your post

72. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Zim first RISP since 9h inning monday====You are lying… Lol… Please tell me…

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

74. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hey, we got a run.

75. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Cy Kendrick Young…

76. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

the red sea has parted

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Okay… Good hitting JDubbs…. We got a run… Now I won't lose it…

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

RISP 1 for 1 for last 2 games.Rally napkin working.

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Eck should be telling these guys to sit on that changeup that is slightly better than a BP fastball and send it out.=======Eck is too busy looking into his worthless notebook….

80. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice. LaRoche instead of K-ing made contact and moved the runner over. Amazing how that works. That just doesn't happen enough. It's called a productive out even though he didn't intend to do that.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Ian fouled back the hanger. When on that is a homer

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Good job JDub. The difference was that LaRoche advanced the runner instead of K-ing. Even though he didn't intend a swinging bunt that was still a productive out.

83. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

You beat me to it Manassas. I was going to say:"Hey, don't say the Nats aren't clutch. They're batting 1.000 with RISP the last two games!"

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Ian has had some lousy at bats tonight….

85. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Well that "rally" was nice while it lasted.

86. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

We got a run boys and girls!!The Nationals look absolutely disconsolate (only word I know that accurately describes them). Poor Nats Can Harper provide the spark — or are they on the cusp of mentally packing it Aaaaall in?

87. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM

so now Desi can't hit? un-real.

88. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

…still a productive outMe and the Wonkling complain about that all the time. I'm proud that the little one knows that phrase so well.(On the other hand, she knows it so well because I keep complaining at the TV: "C'mon! Just make a productive out!"

89. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

the late great George Carlin had a line that would apply perfectly to Nats hitters.."watching the Nats try to hit is like watching two flies (fill in the blank)"

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM

For the love of the Baseball Gods please find a way for the Nats to win this game and of course for the Braves to lose.

91. A DC Wonk - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What a sterling effort by Gio! (except for one pitch)

92. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Poor Gio. One bad pitch and he's gonna get the loss.

93. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I guess eating the faces did not work out so well, lol

94. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I didnt think it was a bad pitch by Gio….

95. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

fast moving game, under 2 hours so far

96. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM

The Nats need a psychologist more than a hitting coach. but not the psychologist from The Natural hahaGotta feel for Gio — let's rest him now, Davey. Don't let him suffer a bad 8th inning! Was anyone getting warm in the pen? I'm guessing NO

97. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM

The home run pitch was an awful pitch. It was a fastball right down the middle. But that's the only mistake he's made the entire night.

98. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

no problem at all with Gio, not an issue

99. Eric - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Man. Poor Gio. More wasted brilliance if we don't wake up and hit.DO IT NATS!

100. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Lombo — I don't think so

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… The Nats need a psychologist more than a hitting coach. They already hired Dr. Llewelyn onto their staff as the teams sporst psychologist.

102. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I didn't know that!! Maybe we should be blaming the good doctor as much if not more than we blame Eck!!!

103. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Lombo has to beat that ball out.

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Imma have to look at the Brown HR again… But even so still, 2 runs…. 2 measly runs and we are struggling…I'd rather have Shark in than Lombo..l

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Trifecta time for Chad Tracy.

106. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

they need Dr Vinnie boon bots, he is my doctor….I saw him last week, I said "Doc, I wake up every morning, look in the mirror and feel like I wan to throw up, whats wrong with me?"he says, "I dunno, but your eye sight is perfect"

107. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Re: Mark's plea for civility at 8:31 PM.Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is such a a great site when the discussions and opinions are cooking, and the baseball wisdom flowing. But the name-calling et al, ugh!GYFNG!!

108. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

mick said…fast moving game, under 2 hours so farmick, agree, thank goodness!

109. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

my dentist isn't any better, I said "Doc what are you going to do about my yellow teeth?"he told me to wear a brown neck tie

110. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Assuming you can find a corner position for Morse, there is no comparison between him and Span. Morse is over 120 OPS+ and Span is under 80. They should have platooned La Roche and Morse and left Harper in center field. It is called being too clever by half when you make changes that don't need to be made.

111. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Who knew that rooting for the Nats primarily consisted of watching the ESPN gamecast of whoever is playing the Braves. Go Mets!

112. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I haven't been watching or listening since the last Cleveland debacle and have been much happier.I can stand a bad team that trys hard, a bad team that over achieves, but I cannot stand a talented team that under achieves and quits. I cannot stand to watch this team. They are very talented but not very good.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Marerro…. Really….

114. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Antonio, that BASTARD-O is pitching lol

115. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

The team has not quit. They do care. They just aren't playing well.Marrero has been useless, as expected. Calling someone up from AAA isn't always the answer, folks.

116. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Byron Kerr‏@masnKerr2m Brian Goodwin 3-3 tonight. 3 singles, 1 run, BB

117. paul brandt - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

no words

118. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

David,With all due respect they have been mailing this season in since the Orioles series.

119. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

where is Dicky V? "Get the brooms out"

120. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Wow just saw this: Espinosa is 14/21 at Syr. – that's 14 k's in 21 official ab's!!Went 0-4 with 4 k's today.

121. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

1 runner in scoring position the last 17 innings. Of course, it doesn't seem to matter whether we get runners into scoring position anyway, see Sunday at Cleveland.

122. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

David Proctor said… Marrero has been useless, as expected. Calling someone up from AAA isn't always the answer, folks.Is that right? Seems Rendon and Ohlendorf and Abad worked out well and Ian K-rol from AA has been great.What Davey doesn't do is get these guys right into action. He lets them sit on the bench and they get rusty quickly. Tough to watch.

123. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

right now…on June 19.. the Orioles are the best team in MLB.now that is painful to post

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

125. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

The word is Moribund.The Nats are moribund

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Ho ho, the Mets score 3 to tie it with Atlanta at 3-3 then the Braves answer back with 2.

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

DJ messed up by not riding the hot hand with Marerro and Kobernus….

128. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Watch it Mick — Mark's been censoring Oriole people lately

129. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…If Span doesn't do something significant next inning, I think he needs to see some serious pine time.if they don't sit Haren so far, there is no way they will sit SpanBTW Span has zero homers this year

130. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If you had our pitching and the Orioles line-up, then you would have 120 game winner. I like Machado but it makes me sad to see him so clearly outdoing Bryce.

131. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Mick, great pitching beats great hitting and the Os pitching STINKS. If they do what needs to be done and get Cliff Lee, then I think they can make noise otherwise I don't even expect them to make the playoffs.

132. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said…Watch it Mick — Mark's been censoring Oriole people latelythanks for heads up, but I hate the O's…I was just posting reality

133. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Span's lack of power shouldn't surprise anyone. So many fans thought Span was The Answer — even the Twins didn't want him.We should have signed Bourne — who was available — not Span. Rizzo went cheap — and he got cheap.

134. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I was thinking triple or at least double by Span. He isn't doing a lot of those anymore.

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

That was a quick inning for Clippard…. Gosh, I don't remember the last time we saw 1 of those…

136. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Rock bottom. But no changes will be made. Fire Eck now.

137. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

138. nats guy - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I love the Nats as an entity but really hate this group of players. They just don't click. No fire in the belly. They just lose and don't get pissed about it. A little honest anger would be appreciated. Is anybody there, does anybody care.Other than Haren I loved the moves they made this winter. What happened to last years infectious enthusiasm. I loved to watch that team even when they lost. This bunch not so much.

139. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

How many pitches this inning? The over/under is 8.

140. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I don't think anyone wants to re-transmit this broadcast in any form anyway….

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM

mick said… Ghost, you know Iove you and respect your opinions, however, on this I very respectfully disagree…I hope your right, because if O's make it, that will be hell on Earth Machado is the real deal. That team will regress to the mean at some point. The Red Sox have good pitching and will improve at the trade deadline.

142. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM

After WERTh drove Ina run Desi gets up and comes out of his shoes trying to hit a HR

143. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Machado might be the best player in MLB this year.Maybe Span could get a walk.

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Yes… Span on base….

145. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Span was beaten to the bag again!

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I can't believe Span was swinging and just lucky Papelbon couldn't get that ball.Eat Some Face!!!!

147. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

nats guy I agree with you, only Werth has shown anger with the eat their faces comment

148. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Span has to beat that out cleanly.

149. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Hate the o,s also so. But every once in a while you have to flip them on so you can see what hits and runs look like.

150. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Rendon gives it a ride. Just right at the RF. Come on RZim!

151. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

There is Babip bad luck for Rendon. At least we will make the over on pitches!

152. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Come on, fellows!

153. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

If they can't bring the Leadoff guy home… What's the point in him getting on base…

154. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Problem is you can't sed Lombo down. We already have a guy there trying to learn to hit. Just get him ut of the outfield.If Span dies on 1st base in the ninth then I call for Davey's head.

155. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Papelbon is not the lights out closer he used to be in Boston a few years ago. He can be hit but can the Nats hit him?

156. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Zimmerman can't make contact.

157. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Right…down…the…middle…..

158. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Pathetic at bat by Zimmerman. Simply terrible.

159. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Zim got pitches to hit. That's a shame.

160. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Ironically, Zim is indeed "the face of the franchise"As Archie Bunker would say "Death, where is thy sting"

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Papelbon missed his spot and Zimmerman swings through a center cut fastball.

162. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Face of the Franchise! Trade him while he still has a bit of value.

163. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

3 under 500…who would have thunk it!

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

La Roche can't make contact.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Paper on is leaving them right down the middle….

166. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Papelbon*. Dang iPad….

167. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Dicky V says "GET THE BROOMS OUT"

168. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

We need some balks.

169. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM

How does Span not reach third?

170. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Zimm is an embarrassment. Bat him 8th.. This team loses 90 games this year. BOOK IT.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

172. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Werth has showed up. Both runs today.

173. Kirbs - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Eat face!!!!

174. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Span is werthlessWerth is eating some face

175. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

One clutch player on the whole team, well two with Rendon, maybe.

176. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

sit down Dicky V!

177. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

You know Philly fans are choking on the Werth rbis

178. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Lol… Adam LaRoche and his blazing speed….

179. rmoore446 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Hurray! Never had any doubts.

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Terrible at bat so far by Desmond.

181. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I can't believe Ian has been this bad…. Dang…

182. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Desmond has to do a better job there. He's the last guy I want to get on because he's been one of our most consistent bats…but come on man.

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

So much for Desmond being hot. His at bat and Zimmerman's at bad were so bad as to be ineffable.

184. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

WERTh eats Philly face. Only guy with heart.

185. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Ian looking clueless tonight.Lets hope the bullpen shows because it might be awhile until we score.Pease please please win tonight.

186. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Desmond needs to stop swinging for the fences, especially when we just need a single. That's what got Danny in trouble.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Ian swinging for a homer not contact.When he is on he gets homer not swinging hard. Most hard swings are either a miss or a groubder to short.Going to work on Gio stats for post game comments

188. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I am not sure I like this Clipp move to stay in…

189. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Desi has to make contact right there… Man on 3rd…MnF, where ya at???

190. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

that is the mark of a really bad team… no consistency, Desmond should have made contact, no excuse.. His 279 average means nothing… no clutch in him at all…

191. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Nice play by Ian!

192. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Bring in Soriano now. Hopes its not déjà vu from Monday.

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Efficient inning so far!

194. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM

wasian man…I know i will get blasted, but Zim looks like he could give a rats you know what

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

?

196. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Sometimes I think Suzuki should come out and talk to his pitchers more…

197. Secret wasian man - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It's bad enough Mick w don't score or even hit. The strikeouts are pathetic. Zimm and Ian just make me sick. Just get the bat on the ball.itsmone thing to K if you hit a homer now and then. But NOTHING???

198. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Ol' King Krol was a merry old soul….

199. David Proctor - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Ian Krol in a big spot in his young career. Against Ryan Howard.

200. mick - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM

wasian…your right about thatWilliam O. Douglas Loeffler said…Ol' King Krol was a merry old soul….lol