Jun 19, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Having passed various strength tests in his rehab from a left knee injury, Bryce Harper is almost ready to begin baseball activities, one of the final steps in his return from the disabled list.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Harper should be cleared to hit, field and run the bases "in a couple of days," having already proven his knee can handle walking, jogging and running tests. The swelling that was treated nine days ago by a cortisone shot and platelet-rich plasma injection has gone down and has not returning despite the increased activity.
"It's been good progress," Rizzo said. "That allows us to ramp it up. Now he'll go from activities to baseball activities, and we'll build from that."
Rizzo won't put a firm timetable on Harper's ultimate return to the lineup, though club officials have believed all along it could happen quickly once the 20-year-old outfielder was able to resume baseball activities. He is expected to go on a brief minor-league rehabRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury