Jun 19, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Having passed various strength tests in his rehab from a left knee injury, Bryce Harper is almost ready to begin baseball activities, one of the final steps in his return from the disabled list.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Harper should be cleared to hit, field and run the bases "in a couple of days," having already proven his knee can handle walking, jogging and running tests. The swelling that was treated nine days ago by a cortisone shot and platelet-rich plasma injection has gone down and has not returning despite the increased activity.
"It's been good progress," Rizzo said. "That allows us to ramp it up. Now he'll go from activities to baseball activities, and we'll build from that."
Rizzo won't put a firm timetable on Harper's ultimate return to the lineup, though club officials have believed all along it could happen quickly once the 20-year-old outfielder was able to resume baseball activities. He is expected to go on a brief minor-league rehabRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record