Jun 19, 2013, 2:48 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth's fourth-inning homer produced one of the Nats' two runs.
Game in a nutshell: The Ross Detwiler-Cliff Lee pitching matchup looked like a compelling one on paper, and it didn't disappoint. Each left-hander was both dominant and efficient for much of the evening, surrendering one early run. Then Detwiler folded in the sixth, allowing three runs, while Lee continued his excellence straight through the eighth. One night after producing a game-tying rally against the Phillies bullpen, there was no such drama for the Nationals. They went down quietly against Jonathan Papelbon and thus lost their third straight game, falling two games below .500. Most frustrating: Because the Braves were swept by the Mets in a doubleheader, there was an opportunity to gain 1 1/2 games in the standings. Instead, the Nats only gain 1/2-game, while the Phillies gain 1 1/2 and catch the Nationals for second place.
Hitting lowlight: The highlights were few and far between. Jayson Werth homered in the fourth. Jeff Kobernus homered in the eighth, the first of his career. In between, the Nationals barely did anyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression