Jun 19, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — Jeff Kobernus has always been more interested in scoring on someone else's home run than hitting his own, so the rookie's reaction to the first homer of his big-league career last night perhaps wasn't all that surprising. Especially given the situation in which it occurred.
With one out in the eighth inning and the Nationals trailing by three runs, Kobernus stepped to the plate as a pinch-hitter and walloped a pitch from Cliff Lee into the left-field bleachers at Citizens Bank Park.
"I was just going up there trying to get on base," Kobernus said. "I'm not a home run hitter, but going up there trying to see some pitches and hopefully get on base. We're down three right there.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals