Jun 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Two batters and nine pitches into his start against the Phillies on Wednesday, Gio Gonzalez could have folded up his tent and called it a night. Down 2-0 after allowing a Ben Revere single and Michael Young homer — and knowing how much his Nationals teammates have struggled to offer run support — Gonzalez had to wonder if this game already was a lost cause.
That the left-hander proceeded to completely reverse course and not only salvage a respectable start, but thoroughly dominate for the next seven innings, speaks volumes about the progress he's made as a pitcher.
"He's a perfectionist, and he doesn't want to give up runs," catcher Kurt Suzuki said. "His job is to keep us in the ballgame. He's starting to understand that he can give up a couple runs in one inning, and make sure you bear down the rest of the game."
Gonzalez has now done this a few times, most notably on May 5 in Pittsburgh, when he gave up two quick runs in the first inning and loaded the bases with no outs, then escaped without surrenderingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best