Jun 20, 2013, 2:42 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez was brilliant after allowing a first-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: Desperately in need of a win to avoid a series sweep and to at least end a rough trip on a high-note, the Nationals found themselves engaged in an all-too-familiar ballgame. They got a great pitching performance, with Gio Gonzalez allowing a first-inning homer to Michael Young but nothing else the rest of the way. And they supported their starter with practically nothing in the way of run support. Kyle Kendrick held this woebegone lineup to two hits over 7 2/3 innings, the one run finally coming in the top of the seventh on Jayson Werth's two-out, RBI single to right. Werth then delivered one of the biggest hits of the season, a two-out RBI single off Jonathan Papelbon in the top of the ninth, tying this game 2-2 and giving the Nationals new life. They had chances in both the ninth and 10th to push across the go-ahead run but stranded a man on third base each time. They got yet another chance in the 11th, and this time they pulled it off. In grand style. Ian Desmond crushed the Nats' first grand slam of the season, taking Michael Stutes deep to complete a dramatic rally and send the Nationals home happy with one of their best wins of the year.
Hitting highlight: There were nothing but lowlights for most of the night, but Desmond certainly made up for it with a major highlight
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?