Jun 20, 2013, 4:59 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — On a team loaded with young star power, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond have emerged as the most vocal leaders inside a clubhouse that this season has been far more tense than joyful. Werth, the veteran with World Series experience, and Desmond, the mature-beyond-his-years shortstop, spoke late Tuesday night about the need for this team to stop putting pressure on itself, establish its own identity and show up Wednesday ready to “eat somebody’s face.”
It’s one thing to talk about it. It’s quite another to go out and actually do it, making the exploits of Werth and Desmond at Citizens Bank Park on this night particularly impressive.
With their teammates completely silenced all evening by Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick, Werth and Desmond delivered three clutch hits late, with Werth driving in the Nationals’ first run in the seventh, then the game-tying run in the ninth and Desmond capping it off with the 11th-inning grand slam that gave his team a captivating 6-2 victory that might well have been this club’s best win of the season.
“We got lucky. We stole this one,” Werth said. “It was one of those games that you need if you’re going to go on to win the division. You need a bunch of wins like this.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent