Jun 20, 2013, 4:59 AM EST
PHILADELPHIA — On a team loaded with young star power, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond have emerged as the most vocal leaders inside a clubhouse that this season has been far more tense than joyful. Werth, the veteran with World Series experience, and Desmond, the mature-beyond-his-years shortstop, spoke late Tuesday night about the need for this team to stop putting pressure on itself, establish its own identity and show up Wednesday ready to “eat somebody’s face.”
It’s one thing to talk about it. It’s quite another to go out and actually do it, making the exploits of Werth and Desmond at Citizens Bank Park on this night particularly impressive.
With their teammates completely silenced all evening by Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick, Werth and Desmond delivered three clutch hits late, with Werth driving in the Nationals’ first run in the seventh, then the game-tying run in the ninth and Desmond capping it off with the 11th-inning grand slam that gave his team a captivating 6-2 victory that might well have been this club’s best win of the season.
“We got lucky. We stole this one,” Werth said. “It was one of those games that you need if you’re going to go on to win the division. You need a bunch of wins like this.”
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox