Game 73: Rockies at Nats

Jun 21, 2013, 7:23 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Winners of two straight, the Nats will look for their three consecutive wins for the first time since May 10. Stephen Strasburg (3-6, 2.50 ERA) takes the mound for his second start since being activated from the disabled list. He will face the Colorado Rockies for the third time in his young career. Both of his previous starts have resulted in losses with a 3.75 ERA across 12 total innings against the club.

Pitching for the Rockies is 23 year old right-hander Tyler Chatwood (4-1, 2.33). The former second round pick has been a nice surprise for Colorado this season with the best ERA in their rotation. He has never faced the Nationals before in his three major league seasons.

Today will be the second of the four-game series between the two teams. Dating back to their previous series this season, the Nationals have won three straight against the Rockies with five runs scored in each of those games.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the game…

COLORADO ROCKIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Mostly clear, 83 degrees

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I thought Country Joe was behind the plate last night…

2. Tcostant - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Loved the winner story of Nats Lady on prior boards. great stuff!

3. TimDz - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM

That is the case, 222PLEASE tell me that West behind the plate is a typo….

4. sjb - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

If anyone else is wondering as I was why tomorrow's game is starting at noon, Phil Wood explained it on the MASN Sports Report. It' seems the Nationals Dream Gala, the annual big fundraiser for the Nationals Dream Foundation, is tomorrow evening at 6:30. Since this is undoubtedly a command appearance for everyone in the upper echelon of the Nats organization, including the entire ML roster and coaching staff, they nod doubt wanted to give them extra time to prepare after the game. (What happens if the game goes 19 innings is another matter of course.)

5. MurrayTheRed - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

West was behind the plate last game. Therefore it has to be wrong.

6. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

sjb, thanks. Mystery solved! I'm not a fan of them scheduling these events the night before a day game, but I guess it's unavoidable.Country Joe is a silly self-promoter, but he calls a pretty good game I think. I'm sure they'll rotate though. Being behind the plate two days in a row might even be prohibited in their contract, like showing replays of close plays on the Jumbotron. It's a very hot and touch job.

7. Ishmael - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Holbrook, who I assume will be behind the place, supposedly has a very small strikezone. Hope Stras and the Nats hitters are ready for that:http://deadspin.com/5917572/better-know-an-umpire-sam-holbrook

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Rotate them Holbrook is at the plate tonight

9. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I am in 313 behind the plste.Holbrook is no for a narrow strikezone.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

They made the Gala earlier in the evening this year to get the players home earlier. Last year the game did go to extra innings and the Nats played poorly the next day.

11. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

MNF, want me to note your drink debt to Ishmael on the NIDO Spreadsheet? :-)

12. Doc - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Country Joe being behind the plate for the 2nd time in 2 games is part of Joe Torre's new umpire quality control program.If an umpire doesn't get the balls & strikes right the first game, he gets to call the next game.

13. Ishmael - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Definitely note the drink debt!

14. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

If I recall, the game did run late one year (don't remember if it was last year) and it was a scramble to get to the gala. It's cool to see everyone all dressed up– but I hope they don't party TOO much because of the day game Sunday….West had a big strike zone for both sides yesterday but he was a good sport about the infield conference and THEN McCatty coming to the mound–all timed so JZimm could catch his breath and strike out Cargo and Cuddyer. I'm not mad at him today.

15. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

See, and I got to meet Tyler Clippard with out having to dress up (neither did he) and they in effect PAID me to go!!! They also had one of those wheels you spin to get prizes, but the chirpy lady (who turned out to be the boss) told me I could have one of each. So now I have a pen, a bag, a shirt, a cup, and a cup-holder all inscribed with 106.7. Well, at least they're red.The chirpy lady had gone by the time they did the ticket drawing but I guess she came back and found out what Denard Span had done and he had to make that "oooooops" telephone call.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Looks like.Davey is using.the.same.#EatFace lineup.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

It took them awhile, Valverde DFA'd by Tigers.

18. natsfan1a - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Seconding the congrats for NatsLady.And speaking of the NIDO, I added one for MNF from me in re. a thread last night.Last but not least:Go, SS! Go, NATS BATS! ESF!!Won't be there for this or Saturday's game but will be there on Sunday.

19. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Ghost, I don't understand why they wouldn't go for Soriano, but, their loss.

20. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Supposed to get free order of fries during the Rockies series as an STH. We'll see what size they are.

21. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Byron Kerr ‏@masnKerr 1mDavey says Bryce Harper likely to Potomac Tuesday. will stay with #Nats thru wknd. Won't need much there to be readySo mid-to-late next week he'll be back it appears.

22. karlkolchak - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Time to score some runs for Stras and help him improve that ugly and undeserved W-L record.

23. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

24. Kirbs - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Here's to never seeing .500 again. EAT SOME FACE.

25. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Good news on Harper. NL, I agree on Country Joe. He called a fair game which is all you can ask for. Also seemed to have some fun with JZnn about his bat. Did Bob and FP say what was going on there? Fun with fielding numbers. Despite his horrible start in the field (seven errors in his first 18 games), Desi is now just tied for 10th in the majors with a slew of other players in errors by a SS. He has definitely righted the ship. He led the league in errors by a SS two years ago with 34 and tied for 10th last year with 15. After 9 straight games without an error, tying his longest stretch of errorless baseball of the season, Zim is no longer leading the majors in errors by a 3B. Pedro Alvarez with 13 has surpassed his 11. He's 10th in assists by a 3B (115), well off the pace of Machado (168), who is the leader. Last year, Zim was third in assists (284) and tied for second in errors (19). He led the league in assists in 2007 (348) and 2009 (325). It really does seem like he's lost a step over there, as well as having the throwing problem.

26. Kirbs - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Natslady, I cant read it right now….but JZim is Greg Maddux but with A++ speed.

27. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I was watching the Rockies broadcast and they said that the Nationals are positioning Zimmerman further back so that he can charge more balls (because as we know, he's better on the run). I suspect his positioning is behind him not getting to balls he used to, not to him losing a step. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a 28 year old losing a step.

28. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

DP, wouldn't you think if he's positioned farther back he'd reach more balls in the 5.5 hole? I don't know if he's any slower a runner but it really does seem like he reaches fewer grounders that aren't hit right at him. He was never awesome going to his right, but his reduced assist numbers suggests that his range to his left is less. Maybe there's an advance fielding metric that shows this.

29. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hmm, I don't know. I'd like to see a photo comparison between where he's positioned now and where he's been positioned in the past.

30. MicheleS - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM

GYFNG! On my way to the park! And I completed my 1500 all star ballots

31. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

MichelleS, did you vote for any Nats other than Desi and Harper? I found the in game promo last night for Zim embarrassing. What's next? Espi?

32. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Looking at Range Factor (which is certainly not a perfect metric, but the best we have I think), he's actually doing better this year than last. His RF/9 this year is 2.76. Last year it was 2.53. 2011 it was 2.76, 2010 it was 2.47, 2009 it was 2.97. 2007 was his best year at 3.07.

33. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

The league RF/9 is 2.57 so he's still above average.

34. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I don't understand why they wouldn't go for Soriano, but, their loss.Did the Tigers actually take a pass on Soriano? Or did Rizzo just outbid them?

35. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

My understanding was that Boras went to the Tigers first and they wouldn't bite. Of course, you never know with Boras, it could be he was running up the bids, but Soriano stayed on the market fairly late. I think if the Tigers wanted him they could have had him.

36. NatsLady - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Off to the game. Going to take Metro so I'll get home sooner but with less comfort….

37. Ishmael - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

"DP, wouldn't you think if he's positioned farther back he'd reach more balls in the 5.5 hole? I don't know if he's any slower a runner but it really does seem like he reaches fewer grounders that aren't hit right at him. He was never awesome going to his right, but his reduced assist numbers suggests that his range to his left is less." I'm not DP, but I agree with you. I thought Ryan's range was diminished last year because he had to play closer in, meaning that he got to fewer balls.

38. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

2007 and 2009 were the years Zim led the majors in assists. Of course he also played 162 and 157 games in those two years. He hasn't been that durable since. His 2008 and 2011 seasons were injury plagued. Last year he had 42 more assists than in 2010, even though he played in only 8 more games at 3B. So perhaps his range is I'm glad to hear his range may be improving rather than regressing further. That would be great. There's no question though that he's not the vacuum cleaner he once was.

39. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Certainly I hear "past a diving Zimmerman" more than I used to, but the causes for that…not sure.

40. JD - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Sec 222, I also think he's not diving anymore. I think his shoulder woes have discourage his body from laying out the way he used to.

41. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

JD, perhaps not diving as much, but he still dives. Unlike outfielders, infielders kind of have to be willing to dive, don't you think?

42. JD - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Sec 222, I guess that's just me observation. I could be wrong.

43. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I've definitely seen him dive this year. Can't way whether it's more less often. He rarely comes up with the ball anymore though so you don't tend to remember the dives.

44. John C. - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

45. John C. - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Section 222, if you're comparing assist rates between Machado and Zimmerman at 3b, you really should compare apples to apples. Zimmerman has played 56 games (495 1/3 innings) at 3b; Machado has played 73 games (653 2/3 innings). Given the disparity in playing time it would be surprising if there wasn't a large difference in assists.Like David Proctor, I would suggest using range factor as a more apt stat. Zim's range factor (putouts + assists per nine innings played at third) is 2.76. Machado's is 3.08. So Machado is making one more play about every fourth game.But even that has to be filtered through the fact that the Nationals' pitching staff strikes out about one more batter per game than the Orioles' pitching staff, so there are fewer opportunities for the defense to make. Bottom line, there isn't that much difference in range between Zimmerman and Machado.

46. waddu eye no - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Shameless self promo-If u can't make the game tomorrow:Inseries.org/The_In_Series/POCKET_OPERA_x_2__Love_%26_Money.htmlI'll be the one in the senators capMark-if this isnt kosher i'll deleteGo Stras!

47. Section 222 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Very interesting points John C. You're totally right about the number of games affecting the total assists, although Machado has 46% more assists in only 32% more innings. He has 2.30 assists per game, compared to Zim's 2.05. I really don't know how to take into account the relative opportunities created by the pitching staffs, but I wouldn't think that controlling for that would necessarily lead to the conclusion that their range is about the same, given the difference in range factor. Or maybe I just don't understand how range factor is calculated. Of course, all of these numbers ought to be tweaked to take account of Zim's 10 throwing errors vs. only 4 for Machado, since they got to all the balls they threw away. But I'm off to Nats Park so that's not going to happen. :-)

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

NatsLady said… Did you all see this comparing JZ to Greg Maddux?Jordan Zimmermannhttp://curlyw.mlblogs.com/2013/06/21/less-is-more/Very interesting post. All I have to say is I watched a lot of Greg Maddux and like Cliff Lee and others with that reputation, they get a lot of strike 3 calls that aren't in the zone. When you get 2 or 3 of those gifts a game it saves the extra pitches just like great defense behind you.JZim hasn't been the recipient though of Maddux-like special treatment. When he starts getting the benefit of the calls, then you can really think he's Greg Maddux. Right now, Jordan Zimmermann is just a great pitcher but keep in mind when he goes for the K's it's raising his pitch count slightly. Also of note as I made this morning, Jordan got some outside strike calls but it wasn't special treatment as Oswalt got the same. A smart and greedy pitcher may have tested that outside edge more than 3 times in the game. Take what the game gives you!

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

All I know about Ryan Zimmerman is that he is a great husband. He got his wife Rolling Stones tickets that were on her bucket list.Priorities people.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM

NatsLady said… Ghost, I don't understand why they wouldn't go for Soriano, but, their loss. June 21, 2013 4:19 PM 3 contending teams need back of the bullpen help and they are Detroit, Boston, and Atlanta in order of need.The cost of stud relievers/closers will come at a premium as the calendar gets closer to the trade deadline.

51. SonnyG10 - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Stomp on their necks tonight, boys. Let's keep on rolling.

52. Candide - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Going to a play tonight, dammit, will check the score between acts. Hope it shows our boys continuing to #EatFace.

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Candide said… #EatFace.

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

1 game is a Win. 2 games is back-to-back Wins. 3 games is a start of a Winning streak. Win & #EatFace and while you are doing it take some advice from SonnyG10 and Stomp on their necks. Seriously, show no mercy and score 10 for Stephen Strasburg tonight.

55. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Tyler Chatwood hasn't allowed a single home run all season. And he plays at Coors Field. What.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Chatwood has pitched only 38 innings. Last year he gave up 9 HRs in 64 innings. He's due.

57. Exposremains - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I was at the game on wednesday at Nats Park north. It was my first time in 7 years. If that game was the turn around for the Nats I would like to foolishly credit myself for being part of it but I would like to credit my father-in-law who doesn't know much about baseball at all but said they need a grand slam when they had the bases loaded. I told him that I don't think it will happen but if it does you'll see the stadium empty real fast. Disclosure: I dont actually I have an effect on games.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Stras looks filthy tonite!

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Rendon in the 3.5 hole!

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Definitely glad A Rendon was sent back down after his stint here earlier in the season…. He has gotten so much better with pitch recognition, etc…

61. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Zimmerman has had trouble catching up with the fastball lately. It's weird.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Zim needs to look ar film of Rendon and how his head stays on the ball through contact.

63. Rendon2B - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Love zim but that contract makes werth's look like a steal. Can't play third and bat slower already.

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

David, I'd like to see a slo-mo of his swing. What I see is his head coming off the ball too quickly.

65. Rendon2B - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Zimm's head seems to be moving…

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I don't like helping pitchers with 3-0 pitches. As they say, if you don't get walked you will get the same pitch 3-1. If they want to walk you, take the walk.

68. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

D'oh…. Looks like I owe someone a drink… #facepalm

69. Section 135 - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Get Zim out of the 3 hole

70. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

That was nasty…. SS is gettin it…. *no jinx*

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Good inning….

72. paul brandt - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

man, SS is just beautiful to watch when he is on and not pouting and all emotional…just pitch, dude and you will be fine, don't let things you can't control, control you & smile a little, you are a pro athlete, this is fun, take a page out of Gio's book.

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

With a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, that's where you need a K and masterful by Strasburg. Next time don't forget about the baserunner on 1st base Stephen.

74. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Jeez Werth, put a ball in play.

75. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I liked that AB by Desi. It ended up in an out but he worked the count. I thought Chatwood got that high pitched called a strike but MASN didn't show the Pitch Track so not sure that's accurate.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Wish we could get a 2 out rally going on here…

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Uhm…. Think Lombo was safe right there….

79. paul brandt - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM

lombo = safe!

80. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM

He was safe. Unbelievable.

81. Nats 128 - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

"Werth took the night off. He didn't want to be on the bases."Post of the night last night. Wondering if the same person thinks hes taking 2 nights off.

82. Nats 128 - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

"Jayson Werth doing his best Danny Espinosa immitation striking out for the 5th time in a row."I dont even think Espy did that.

83. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Hunker down Stras!

84. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What an awful throw by Lombardozzi. He was probably going to be safe anyway, but yikes.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

That was a lousy throw by Lombo….

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Luckily no damage on the runner taking the extra base. 1-0 deficit is all you are giving up Stephen.

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Ya know…. I actually enjoyed that report by Julie… First worthwhile report I've heard from her, IMO….

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

MrsB, it figures. When Julie started talking I ran away from the TV.

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

FP is hilarious….

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Lol, Steve M…. I just think she is so purposeless…. Kris Akra was so much better…

91. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

By the way, Danny Espinosa grounded out to first in his first AB in Charlotte. That's 2 at bats in a row with out a K.

92. David Proctor - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

NatsJack, he's ready call him up.

93. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

And I don't care if I ever see Steve Lombardozzi play left field ever again.

94. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I hope they don't show that lousy throw by Lombo ever again….Hideous…

95. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Yikes. Usually Ryan overthrows Adam, this time he underthrows him. But hey, at least with an underthrow Adam has a shot.

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Aight Mr Zimm….. Good inning….

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

MrsB, Julie is a born and bred Mets fan. Hard to shake that out of my head. I realize MASN wants to spend little to no money on that "sideline" position and you get what you pay for.

98. paul brandt - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

MrsB, Kristina was better looking! old town was never a Miami Heat cheerleader or dancer or whatever the heck she was.

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Come on Nats Bats…. Time to get some hits and manufacture some runs….

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

RZim throwing sidearm almost every time now. At this point I don't care. Good play Z.

101. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

And that throw by Zim made me remember the gun that Arulio Rodriguez had in the day……heck , the gun Manny Machado has today.Zim has to get there.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

GoSM – I should have applied…. But I know me… I live and die with my teams so if they lose, imma be pissed and asking all types of hard questions… I be cussing and fussing too… Don't let me get near any blue(s) that played apart of it…Paul – I'm not into girls… Lol… But yeah I will admit that Kristina was better looking than Julie… I really don't think Julie is pretty…. But that is just me…

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

MrsB, now that's some funny stuff.

104. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Zim needs to swing early in the count. He's so lost he has no chance with 2 strikes.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Lots of groundballs. Now I can see why hitting a HR will be difficult but I have faith that a Nat will get it done tonight.

106. paul brandt - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

MrsB, haha! why can't Rzim hit? move him down in the line-up please…its time.

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

The way Adam swung and hit, I thought the ball was in the stands…

108. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Danny E lined out sharply to CF in his second at bat.Slowly, things are looking better.

109. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Werth put the ball into play! Progress.

110. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Our lineup is awful. Do they ever get consecutive hits in a row? No chance with this crappy lineup. Zion and LaFail wouldn't even be in the top five on any AL team.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Section 135, give it time with RZim. He is very streaky bad and good.

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Here's my feeling on this game, Nats need to push the button for some small ball when they get a man on with no outs.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

He was out….

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I don't think we have been on base with no outs… It's always been with 2…

115. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Eh, I think he was safe. Incredible play by Desmond nonetheless.

116. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Section 135……where were you last nite? You only show up to complain?

117. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I was actually surprised that Fowler is playing….

118. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM

You're right David…he was safe.

119. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I think Stephen got one there.

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Great pitch SS….Come on Nats….We are winning this game…. 3-1 Nats!

121. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Brewers out in front on the Barfs

122. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Brew Crew up 1-0

123. paul brandt - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

yea, 135, come on, plenty of time. "LaFail" really? he sure helped us last night.

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I thought that was out 3….

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM

NatsJack, I want a tall cold one!

126. RickH - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Stras!!!

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Way to go SS…. Aight Nats Bats… Stephen is doing his job… Time for y'all to do yours!!!!!

128. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Strasburg home run coming.

129. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Ok maybe not.

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

3rd times the charm…. Lets do this!!!

131. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Nope, Ghost….I gave a score. And that was after the sac fly that still meant there were ducks on the pond.

132. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Can we please get a 2 out rally here!!!!! Come on Nats!!!!

133. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Contact contact! Anthony Rendon!

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

135. RickH - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Zim! Finally!!!

136. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

See Section 135! Told you!

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Lets do this!!!!!!

138. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Danny E flies out to right in his 3rd at bat. That makes 4 straight without a strike out.Baby steps folks……baby steps.

139. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Section 135, give it time with RZim. He is very streaky bad and good. Talking about this message to you Sect135. Now go back into hiding.

140. Drew - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Atta boy Zim!Way to go, Kid!

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Come on Jayson…. Time to #eastsomeface. Make Em pay for walking to get to you…. Base hit/contact….

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Every time I see LaRoche and Zimm on base, I think about that double steal against the Pirates (?)….

143. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Werth is a rather streaky fellow, isn't he?

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Sigh… I would have rathered him the work the count a little more…But it's a 0-0 game! We got this…

145. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Funny Mrs. B, I was actually hoping for him to pounce on a first pitch fastball. Unfortunately, he made weak contact.

146. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Strasburg looking great tonight… Where the heck has this been most of the year?

147. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Rendon x Harper is going to be scary next month.. I wonder if those two are close friends yet? Love when young draft picks get alot (John Wall x Bradley Beal etc etc)

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

David, Werth was in the right spot and didn't deliver that time. Just got under that one.

149. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

along*

150. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM

How many more innings does Stephen have left in him? 2??

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Well David… You know I hate first pitch swinging….I swear I'm tired of Lombo in the LF…

152. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM

What a play by RZim! WOW

153. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Flava Flav voice: Woooooooooowwwwww!!!!!

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Wow…. What a catch by Ryan!!!!!

155. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Timothy……my discussion with my buudy Gator John during our pre-game Happy Hour was solely about the beautiful thing that will be Rendon/Harper back to back.I can't wait.

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

That's a Web Gem. His 5th of the year I am proclaiming right now!

157. Drew - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Chatwood's at 97 pitches.Strasburg's at 95.The Big Fella drops his ERA to 2.40.Get him some more runs.

158. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Mets tied it up with Philly.

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM

If the Nats score this inning, Stras may be done.He may be done anyway.

160. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I actually think Chatwood is a good pitcher… Needs to work on his strength/endurance right now as he can't last past the 6th… I've seen him pitch before and knew he would be kinda tough today….

161. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I really feel all the babying that Strasburg gets and not unleashing the beast is really getting on his nerves and could definitively see him taking his talents back to San Diego or something during free agency (but im a conspiracy theorist)

162. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Desi!

163. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

My god, I love Ian Desmond.

164. Joe Seamhead - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Way to go, Desi!

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Omg… I just told my dad, time for a solo by Desi!!!!! Love it Desi!!!!!!Yessssssssssss

166. Joe Seamhead - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Oh, yeah,Well, now! I thought that lolly gagging Zimmerman made a pretty nice catch.

167. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Desmond trying to pad them stats so he can actually play in the All Star game this year I see

168. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I don't believe it. I didn't think it had the height. Desi for the All Star team!

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Mets go up 4-3

170. Drew - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Wow!Ian Desmond wants to play in the All-Star Game.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I really hope they get rid of those jumbo screens on the field…

172. karlkolchak - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

It truly s amazing that Desi ever gets a good pitch to hit given his free swinging ways and how bad the hitters behind him have been all season. Being so successful in that spot of the Nats lineup just makes his AS case that much stronger.

173. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Very happy Stras is done for the night. Don't want leg cramps to turn into anything else.

174. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Gio with the handshake to Stephen what a teammate… sucks he's a miami heat fan though

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Seems like SS is done for the night… *standing ovation for SS*. Pitched a heckuva game, young man…

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Karl, that ball was up in the zone. Corpas didn't think he was giving him anything to hit ;)

177. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Don't like a 1 run lead being trusted to Drew and Rafi. Top of lineup coming up in the 8th. Let's add 1 or 2.

178. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Anybody else switch to Orioles games during the commercial break? These AL games are crazy 6-6 tie now what a HR by #66

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

That is some #EatFace stuff there.

180. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Davey, why not Lefty/Lefty here? Huh?

181. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

6 toughest outs in baseball, especially against a great hitting team like the Rockies.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No Timothy, I don't… I don't watch the O's….Come on Storen… Need good Drew coming up here!

183. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I want to like Drew.. I really do.. I just cant get comfortable when he's out there..

184. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Steve M – maybe to help him build his confidence… Wants to save Abad and Krol for tomorrow, maybe….Come on man…. That's a K!

185. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM

What in the world? This SZ.

186. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM

MrsB yeah it was just exciting is all… not a O's/Ravens fan myself but just two great games on right now.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Lord… I just got a flashback of Game 5….

188. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Yep, bad move Davey since you have K-rol and Abad. smh

189. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Nats Jack…Testing your memory. What was Aurilio Rodriguez's nickname?

190. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ghost…..I meant to say this last nite. Probably not tonite, but I expect to see Kroll close before the years out.And that walk by Storen is as good as a double.

191. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Damn it Drew.

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

My goodness…. Are you serious…. Come on man….

193. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Nats Park looks great tonight…Storen great play!!! oh no!!! jfsnojfkslksfcrazy switch of emotions just now

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Steve M – maybe to help him build his confidence… Wants to save Abad and Krol for tomorrow, maybe….No, as soon as they announced Drew Storen I posted. Makes no sense. Build confidence in a blow-out game.

195. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

DJ said he wants to not over use Abad…. I'm thinking maybe he wants to give him a rest since Abad has been used kinda frequently, seemingly….Idk – I'm glad I don't make these decisions… I would have no damn clue…

196. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Drew just doesnt have that ice water in his veins I think… he seems to be sweating bullets Zuk and Desmond look alot drier just now in that shot

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I always want to cry when I see Storen… I just feel so bad for him sometimes…. Idk, my estrogen levels just sky rocket when he is on the mound….I want him to succeed… There isn't a relief guy I root for more…

198. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Whooooooo —- heckuva pitch…. Nasty…

199. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Just wondering… I thought their not allowed to show players with chew in their mouth on tv… and I read somehwere SS said he was quitting..

200. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Phil….gotta tell you…..I'm coming up empty on Arulio' s nickname. Really didn't think he had one.What was it and did he get it here or in Detroit!?