Jun 21, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: After an extra innings win against the Phillies on Wednesday night, the Nationals entered Thursday trying to build off the thrilling victory. Stringing wins together has been a tough task for the Nats this year, but having Jordan Zimmermann on the mound certainly helped their cause. Zimmermann was brilliant and carved up the Rockies all evening, retiring 14 consecutive batters at one point. He threw eight innings with one run allowed (zero earned) and put little pressure on Washington's lineup to hold up their end. But the Nats' offense also carried their weight with five runs to complete an all-around impressive victory for the team.
Hitting highlight: Adam LaRoche gave the Nats a nice cushion in the fifth inning with a two-RBI triple into the gap in right field. Denard Span led off the inning with a double off the scoreboard in right-center and Anthony Rendon followed with a single. Both were then brought home by LaRoche who hit his second triple of the year.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win