Jun 21, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: After an extra innings win against the Phillies on Wednesday night, the Nationals entered Thursday trying to build off the thrilling victory. Stringing wins together has been a tough task for the Nats this year, but having Jordan Zimmermann on the mound certainly helped their cause. Zimmermann was brilliant and carved up the Rockies all evening, retiring 14 consecutive batters at one point. He threw eight innings with one run allowed (zero earned) and put little pressure on Washington's lineup to hold up their end. But the Nats' offense also carried their weight with five runs to complete an all-around impressive victory for the team.
Hitting highlight: Adam LaRoche gave the Nats a nice cushion in the fifth inning with a two-RBI triple into the gap in right field. Denard Span led off the inning with a double off the scoreboard in right-center and Anthony Rendon followed with a single. Both were then brought home by LaRoche who hit his second triple of the year.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win