Jun 21, 2013, 4:06 AM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
For a team teetering on the .500 mark all year long, each Nationals win brings with it the question of whether it can start something much bigger. ‘Could this be the one?’ the players are often asked after big wins, victories that seem like they could mean something much more than one game.
But in the Nats’ convincing 5-1 victory over the Rockies on Thursday night, their second in as many games, they made beating an average team look routine. Their ace pitcher dominated and they made offensive chances count. If they are ready to get things going, this is how they should beat teams with less talent top to bottom.
“It’s nice going late into a game and having some runs, having a little cushion there,” Adam LaRoche said. “Played so many games where we’re down by one late or up by one. Yesterday was big, frustrating road trip but a great way to end it and then keep it going tonight. We’re looking to spark something.”
The Nats scored five runs in the win, far more than they needed thanks to starter Jordan Zimmermann. The likely N.L. All-Star tossed eight innings with zero earned runs and struck out a season-high nine batters. It was the third time in his last four outings he’s lasted at least seven innings with zero earned.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies