Jun 21, 2013, 4:06 AM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
For a team teetering on the .500 mark all year long, each Nationals win brings with it the question of whether it can start something much bigger. ‘Could this be the one?’ the players are often asked after big wins, victories that seem like they could mean something much more than one game.
But in the Nats’ convincing 5-1 victory over the Rockies on Thursday night, their second in as many games, they made beating an average team look routine. Their ace pitcher dominated and they made offensive chances count. If they are ready to get things going, this is how they should beat teams with less talent top to bottom.
“It’s nice going late into a game and having some runs, having a little cushion there,” Adam LaRoche said. “Played so many games where we’re down by one late or up by one. Yesterday was big, frustrating road trip but a great way to end it and then keep it going tonight. We’re looking to spark something.”
The Nats scored five runs in the win, far more than they needed thanks to starter Jordan Zimmermann. The likely N.L. All-Star tossed eight innings with zero earned runs and struck out a season-high nine batters. It was the third time in his last four outings he’s lasted at least seven innings with zero earned.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase