Game 74: Rockies at Nats

Jun 22, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

With their first three-game winning streak in over a month, the Nationals will look to make it four against the Rockies on Saturday in an early afternoon game. Dan Haren (4-8, 5.72 ERA) takes the mound for his second start against Colorado this season. He took the loss on June 11 after allowing two homers and five earned runs.

Jayson Werth has been a late scratch from the Nats' lineup with no reason provided. Davey Johnson said before the game Werth had been seeing a specialist for a variety of things, but that his hamstring was okay.

"No, I think he’s alright there. I think he’s fine," Johnson said.

We'll see what he has for us after the game.

On the hill for the Rockies is RHP Jhoulys Chacin (5-3, 4.26). He gave up two earned runs on seven hits in five innings on June 11 against the Nats.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the game…

COLORADO ROCKIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 12:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Mostly clear, 83 degrees

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Book 'em, Dano. Let's go, NATS! Let's go BATS!!

2. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

3. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Very revealing article in the WP by Bos about the Nats hitting woes. He presents some alarming stats but not a peep about Eckstein.

4. Candide - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Two center fielders.

5. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

What's wrong with Bernie; why isn't he in LF? Lombo is a liability out there.

6. Candide - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Bernie's in CF with Span…

7. jeffwx - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

like pitching, you can never have enuf center fielders

8. Traveler8 - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Who is playing first base for the Rockies?

9. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Thanks, two center-fielders! Hope nobody pulls the ball to RF.

10. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Who is playing first base for the Rockies?Corey Dickerson, but he's playing behind the runner. Well behind.

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

And Chase, lose that formatting code in the lineup before Ian Desmond gets called out for delaying the game.

12. Candide - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I looked, but didn't see any #EatFace shirts for sale on Half Street…

13. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

For those of us on the west coast, a 9:05 a..m. start time is…let's just say early and leave it at that. Yawn.Awww, kwitcher whinin. We stayed up for the California games.

14. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

PD, I assume you mean this article by Boz?Washington Nationals hitters have been so terrible, they can’t possibly keep it up

15. Bigfish - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Well, I hope there's something organic wrong with Werth. He's looked lost at the plate the last few games. Maybe his eyes?

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

A of Boz's column:"Top to bottom, the Nats are choking their brains out. Every statistic that measures performance in pressure situations shows the Nats are gagging.""It is almost a law of nature that if something can’t possibly continue, then it will stop…. If the Nats were ranked first in all the hitting categories in which they now rank 30th, we’d be saying, “This can’t last. They’re not that good.”"The Nats were 10th in runs last year. The rational response to 3.53 runs would be: When they revert to form, watch out."

17. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Whoa, that jumped in too fast.Should have started: "A summary* of Boz's column"

18. jeffwx - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

when i get back to form, watch out…my average is really 26 over the cost of this lifetime!!!

19. Eric - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yeah, that's rub, Sec 3, and I've felt that way all season…but I try to ignore it so I don't end up disappointed.

20. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Over/Under 3 innings for Haren?

21. Eric - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

*the* rub

22. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

God I hate Haren

23. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Home run 19

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Dan Haren in form.

25. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

First homer for the batter this year.

26. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Has anyone heard anything from Garcia? Last I read he was doing bull pens in Viera.. Time to convert him to starter?

27. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Nats have not been 2 above 500since May 28

28. d'grviii 8 - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You can't spell Haren without HR. Who will be the first to get a #15 Nats shirsey with HOMERUN in the name field?

29. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Davey on Garcia recently"Everybody knows I wanted to stretch him out and have him as a backup starter, because I like his stuff. But that's out of the question for this year," Johnson said.Darn.. nvm

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Like I said last week, why didn't Ohlendorf get Haren's start. Espinosa all over again. More earned runs than the last 2 games combined.

31. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

This guy has issues. I don't know if it is drugs or alcohol or what. This cannot continue.

32. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Every time the Nats start to get a little positive momentum, Haren screws it up.

33. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Can't just keep handing games away every 5 th day. What a joke this guy is. Dump Haren now. Streak killer. Rally killer momentum killer. Just awful

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

WODL, it's called CONTROL.

35. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

A homer. A wild Pitch. A double. A double. A double.It looks like Haren has his usual stuff today.

36. dcdingo - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I predict Haren to the DL later today. They will find something, even if it's a wart on his chin. This very expensive experiment is not working.

37. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

We need to pay him not to pitch. In fact, for his own safety, we need to pay him to leave the DC/MD/VA/WV area….

38. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

It was a great last 3 game, seriously, Haren is a joke and incompetent. Mike Wallace this morning made a good point…you want your 5th pitcher to be 500, Edwin Jackson did that…this clown Haren is headed for Denny McClain type of record…have Nationals accepted a loss every 5th day? why bother to watch a game if the organization is basically saying we will lose every time this CLOWN pitches…13 million a year,my goodness? Haren has NO PRIDE, no HEARTWhat a joke and clearly the WORST move made since 2005, nothing comes close

39. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Park needs to start having half price Haren days. Was gonna go to game today then saw the big H was pitching. Stayed home.

40. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

He looks like he takes one bong hit too many

41. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Strasburg on McCatty"I’m not a kid anymore. …You know, I should be allowed to stretch a little bit out there… No big deal. Obviously he cares about me and wants everything to be OK, but there was nothing to be worried about."

42. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The difference between this year and last year?Span and Haren.

43. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

44. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

13 mill a year?????? He's earning about 14 dollars a hit

45. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Secret wasian man I have heard of loyalty…. but Davey has taken this JOKE too far

46. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Typical weak contact by Span followed by his declining to run to first base.

47. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Nice hit too bad Span sucks

48. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Rendon is great.. compete for ROY?

49. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

So we wasted another at bat on Span leading off. He needs to be hitting 8th, or 7th top.

50. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

what about the morale of the 8 other players…doesn't that matter…Werth ought to eat Haren's face!

51. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

This guy has issues. I don't know if it is drugs or alcohol or what. That's just uncalled for.

52. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

What Exk did to Span should be a fireavle offense by itself.

53. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Mick hahaha. And watching to much scooby do

54. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The only good thing you can say about the Span and Haren signings is that they were not longterm, but one is a complete and total fiasco and the other is a continual drag on the offense game after game. Every single day, Davey trots Span out there as some kind of hotshot lead-off guy. That is what the Nationals have always seemed to think they need, a hotshot lead-off guy. Asinine.

55. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It's going to be like that in here today? Enjoy.

56. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Sofa…maybe I was too harsh…and fair enough, but with all due respecvt Haren pitching is UNCALLED FORSecret wasian man lol, scooby doo is perfect

57. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Zimmerman's performance in clutch situations is dreadful. He should bat 7th.

58. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, it was Eck's fault that Span's batting prowess has been in free fall for 6 years. He really screwed up Span during those last 3 years in Minnesota.

59. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

William O. Douglas Loefflerfor all the grief i take in here, i am actually a defender of span…he at least as helped this team

60. mick - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I love Ray Knight but his defense of Haren is just nuts

61. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I remember spring training thinking he'll be ok.. so naive

62. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

So tired of the constant blaming of Eckstein.Here are Span's OPS+'s for the last four years:2010–882011–902012–1042013–80This is the guy we signed. He is not doing anything all that much worse than his last 3 years in Minnesota.

63. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

@Mick Im with ya Span's just finding his groove new league new team.. Hold the fort till Goodwin is ready

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Timothy, Shelby Miller and Didi Gregorius are my 1/2 right now for NL ROY. If Rendon continues this for the remainder of the year then it's quite the race.

65. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I also don't like Solano.. he calls a bad game and cant hit.. We never win when he's out there

66. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Even if Haren shuts them out the rest of the way Nats offense can't score 4 runs. Going swimming. Goodbye

67. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Provide some data as to how Span has helped this team. He costs them runs every single game and his defense is nowhere close to making up for it. He can't steal bases and his speed is okay but far from world class.

68. Secret wasian man - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Timothy your correct. That's why he's with Harem

69. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

@Ghost yeah I just want Rendon to get some love from the Media…

70. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I wish they would stop talking about Desmond's error streak.. It's like when they talk about someone making field goals or making free throws and then they miss

71. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quite a groove he is finding, with zero homers and an obp of .300. Nyjer Morgan is in Japan and would be a considerable upgrade offensively, as would M. Byrd.

72. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Who doesn't love Rendon? He is like an Oscar Mayer Wiener. The kid is sensational.

73. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Shark was pretty good during the WBC… he really fell off and put in alot of gym work this offseason gotta be disappointed

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

He is pitching bad, but speculation like that is not appropriate. The issues part is valid it is other part that is not valid. There is no proof.

75. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

He got hurt during the WBC. If he can get back to where he was last year, he would be far better in Center field than Span.

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Timothy, no doubt. The media doesn't know who he is. They concentrate on Puig right now.

77. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

So glad I sold my tickets today. What a throw away game with an outfield of Shark and Lombo and Haren on the mound. Might as well put Tracy at third and Kobernus at second. Haren doesn't deserve to have a good lineup supporting him.

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Seems true

79. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

IDK.. it just seems like Span plays alot better in the AL games.. But I know for sure next year he's gonna ball really hard in the contract year.. Since this year is slowly turning into a evaluation mode. But I'm going down with the ship

80. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Why can't we bring up Sandy Leon?

81. JaneB - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Timothy, I loved reading that quote from Stras on McCatty. I like Haren but I wish he wasn't pitching for us, I have to admit. We need some bats today.Worried about Werth.

82. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I also think Span is helping save Harper from himself.. What position was he playing when he got hurt in LA? CF/RF? LF just seems alot safer for him

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Agreed. Absolutely no evidence.

84. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

If Span can at least average his career averages during the second half, that would be at least decent, given his good fielding. His base-running leaves a lot to be desired, but there is no reason to have him lead off just to keep his glove in center. Your 3 best hitters need to bat one, two, three. Speed is irrelevant when a guy can't get on base or isn't stealing significant amounts of bases.

85. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

@JaneB I just wish they let Strasburg do his thing.. very worried he's leaving in Free Agency my nightmare scenario is we dont sign Zimermann because he wants to much and we're saving for #37 and he ends up leaving too..

86. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If Werth's goes down again we need to make a trade for a bench bat/ outfielder. Can't keep putting Lombo out there. Hope they're playing him to up his trade value.

87. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I agree that Span was brought here to save Harper but unfortunately that didn't work out too well.

88. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I was really big on the three 1st round picks from '11 and it hurt to let Meyer go. So I need Span to do better cuss I really like tall pitchers and I thought Alex was gonna be a great #4/5 pitcher

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Freefall is overstating it.It has reduced, but espi's is freefall, Span's just reduced.

90. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Harper's like a RG3/Kobe type player he doesnt accept losing and will hurt himself to help the team. Gift/Curse

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Agreed

92. TexNat - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Section 135, there is no "if Werth goes down again" about it. They desperately need that extra bat either way.

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Dont forget Puig

94. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

"I also don't like Solano… We never win when he's out there."+++++++++++++++++++++Going into today's game, Jhonatan Solano had started seven games. The Nats record in those games was 3-4. Given the Nats overall record and the limited sample size, I don't see 'never win' as a defensible argument.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Hpe you are wrong, though most of the season you have been right

96. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

@Eugene it just seems that way to me. Just don't like the player.. Im not a fact checking guy and just talk so i'll be wrong on alot of things I say.. be prepared to correct me everydaySpan getting them hits go get steal #9

97. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am sorry F.P. but what you said makes no sense. Nobody hits better with 2 strikes.

98. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

@William it does seem like he gets most of his hits after 0-2.. its so weird

99. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I like how Span keeps his gloves on. Its irrelevant but just cool to me

100. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, it really helped Harper to play almost all of last year in Center and then get moved willy-nilly back and forth from left to right. Rizzo espoused this theory that Harper needed to conserve himself in the outfield, with no data supporting his contention as far as I know and Mr. Boswell regurgitated that rationale. How did Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle play center all those years–and by the way, Mantle got hurt as rookie playing right field, not center.

101. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Span fails to advance to 3rd on the fly-out. I see other players take that base all the time.

102. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Rendon hits that on the screws but directly at the RF. Unlucky.

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Span and Rendon. Ned to both get hits the same inning.RISP Colorado 2 for 4 NATS 0 for ,4

104. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Apparently we were hoisting the white flag from the get-go in this game. Werth was too tired to play, as was Suzuki, which is more understandable. We leave Haren out there to putridly build us a hole than is all but insurmountable with the current line-up. I am glad that I didn't pay for a ticket today.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

The ball was hard not long, so I never expected him to advance on 2 outs, though on first out maybe it is worth it.

106. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I don't deny that some players hit far better than others with two strikes. That is a learned skill. I just think F.P. pushed his underlying point so far that it became inane. Didn't Babe Ruth just waive his first two strikes before he called his homer against the Cubs?

107. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Are you kidding me… Haren is making this guy look like a HOF player lol

108. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

This rookie from the Rockies is sure to send a thank you note to Dan Haren after this game….

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Obviously Haren seems to pitch even poorer from the stretch.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

2 wild pitches

111. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

All the players are going to that dinner tonight? How can they enjoy themselves after this?

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The natives are getting restless.

113. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Another wild pitch….. At this point, I am hoping for the Henry Rodriguez effect which means Haren needs to give up 11 or so runs and so embarrass Rizzo that he simply isn't allowed to go out there anymore.Nats fans never boo their own, or almost never. Here it is justified.

114. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Dan Haren robbed Rizzo without a gun.. I mean the Cubs said no this offseason and took our leftovers in Jackson.. what the heck

115. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Zim just not the same player he was. Davey needs to accept that and work around it. Werth should be a bench bat next year and Rizzo needs to go after another outfielder. If we go in to next year assuming Werth will play more than 100 games we are nuts.

116. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Haren should retire and if he had any self-respect he would after this game.

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Davey looking blasse FP giving company line to place him on DL

118. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Cubs are on the hook for 4 years, though….

119. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I think we need Werth and he makes to much to come off the bench.. i think the no trade clause kicks in next year too? I think Davey knew this game was done

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I've never left a game… I'm about to leave this one…

121. ptindc - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It's really quite breathtaking how quickly one can lose their ability to pitch.

122. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Unfortunately Haren is truly this bad. This is not a babip issue:http://www.nationalsarmrace.com./?p=6963

123. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Haren is washed up after 2000 innings. He has no fuel left in his tank. Every GM in MLB saw this except Rizzo.

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Leave him in. Let him suffer and save the bullpen.

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Boooooooo say the fanjonson cherred

126. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Twins and Angels laughing their asses off at Rizzo….

127. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Timothy Folk said…Over/Under 3 innings for Haren?June 22, 2013 12:05 PM I was gonna take the under..

128. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Amazing how we get on a roll and Dan Haren comes out and looks a mess…. This offense has no confidence in him… No one does…Rizzo has done well but this signing of D Haren was bad… Davey should have pulled him in the first inning…. But I understand that he couldn't…

129. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Mr. Boswell thought it was a good deal.

130. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I never feel sorry for a player boooooooed for performance, as the player is in control.Booooed just because he is an opponent who causes you trouble I dont approve.

131. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

We need those WB Mason's commercials back they were good luck

132. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Tim- World Series or bust. You get the best guys out there. I'd get a good 2nd line free agent outfielder since Werth should only play 2 days a week.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

At this point, Davey should leave Haren in there.. Let him continue to suck… I'm hoping he has a phantom injury where he is out for a while… Let him throw 125 pitches..He is terrible…

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

3 1/3 innings too long to pull him. This is insanity. Like I said Espinosa all over again with the Haren situation.

135. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Certainly, that has to be the curtain call for Mr. Haren. They simply cannot trot him out there anymore. Let him take Zack Duke's mop-up job and let's have a fifth starter by committee. Enjoy your filthy lucre, Mr. Haren…

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Could be. Tired of ATT kids

137. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I would have pulled him after the initial home run. Either Davey has lost his mind or Rizzo ordered him to leave Haren in just to prove how terrible Haren really is.

138. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Steve M – as soon as HR 19 was hit, folks were done… Like seriously done… No one has confidence in Haren…. DJ/Rizzo are gonna have to make a decision about Haren… Soon…I don't want to hear his sob story anymore … I really want him off the team….

139. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Don't forget how long Davey and Rizzo stuck with the pathetic H-Rod. I suspect Haren will be starting again in five days.

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Haren sitting like a zombie

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

When Haren walked off the mound, I didnt clap… I didnt boo although I heard a chorus… I started gathering my stuff….

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Phillie fans are disgusted with colbert Hamels, but you know he still has talent.

143. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM

@Section 135.. Who you got??Carlos Beltran Robinson CanoShin-Soo ChooJacoby EllsburyMatt GarzaCurtis GrandersonPhil HughesBrian McCannMike NapoliJarrod Saltalamacchia

144. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM

"Zim just not the same player he was."++++++++++++++++++++++++For Ryan Zimmerman:Career 1st half of the season: .270/.336/.4531st half of 2013 (so far): .268/.347/.455tOBP+ so far in 2013: 100 (which means he's doing exactly what he normally does).

145. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Haren's ERA is like to be close to the worst in MLB among qualified starters after this.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I have no problem booing.I basically believe as much as they are paid, when they deserve to be booed, then boo.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

It was bottom 3 to start day.

148. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

@Eugene I think he means from throwing from 3rd to 1st.. He looks good at the plate.. That Bmore game made me sick though losing a 3 homer day

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The thing about Ryan Zimmerman is the promise and the reality. He hit 33 homers once and that seems to have been that. He won a Golden Glove once and that seems to have been that. He is still a very good player and you are better off with him than some of the guys out in L.A. but I think we have seen all that we can expect to see, i.e., no more improvement.

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ohlendorf should have started from the beginning… I understand DJ trying to get Haren to work it out but this is like 4/5 bad starts in a row…He just doesn't have it… Back to 500 we go… We go on a roll and here comes D Haren to just put the brakes on everything…

151. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Sometimes it seems in baseball and to fans the stats and #s become more important than w/l's… Im all about W's

152. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

How's about this for a crazy stat, Haren's 6.15 ERA is more than JZim, Stras, and Ohlendorf's ERAs combined!

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Lets bat around this inning

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Steve M – your post at 1:27 – are you surprised????

155. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Timothy – your post at 1:25 – yeah I'm about the wins too… Idc about individual stats so much as if they are consistently bad *cough* D Haren *cough*. Well most of the time we know there isn't gonna be a win….

156. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Here are the 3b that Ryan most resembles according to baseball ref:Eric ChavezScott RolenDavid WrightNot too shabby, but he is no Brooks Robinson, or Mike Schmidt or Alex Rodriguez and he isn't likely to turn into that at this stage. His power was never that great, decent but not great and he now seems more of a doubles guy. He has always had trouble staying healthy. He is what he is, a very good 3rd basement.

157. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

MNF – our positivity isn't working today…. I came in the park knowing that Haren was gonna go a solid 4/5… I even had us winning…Then he threw his first pitch and I was bought back down to reality….

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Our hitting this season has been poor, but when we pitch poorly, it is no better. You need to pick up pitcher some times.

159. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

As an organization we talked so much trash this off season and really bought into the hype… That big picture of Werth at the stadium and the huge division champ sign is kinda crazy. Teams cant wait to beat the tar out of us.. World Series or Bust was the worst thing to say we should've just kept a low profile. The beatings will be good for us to grow in the offseason.. Cant wait for Purke/Giolito/Cole/Goodwin/Ward

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM

MrsB, no, not surprised any more. My tolerance for continually trotting out players like this becomes the reason you get that complacent feeling in the clubhouse.

161. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I suspect Haren will be on the DL with "shoulder inflammation" or some such tomorrow.

162. Section 135 - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Eugene- maybe Zim will surprise me then. He just seems too passive to be the 3 or 4 hitter on a contending team. His range is down but his throws have seems a bit better recently. He's still valuable but we need more if we want to beat the Cardinals. Unfortunately we do t have any areas to improve but the bench. We have to assume Werth will get injured and its just embarrassing to have a second basemen as your backup outfielder.

163. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Not at all impressed with the home fans booing Haren, by the way. From watching his interviews, you can tell he's trying his hardest and just doesn't have it. Obviously he sucks and we need to stop trotting him out there. But to boo him like they did is pretty unclassy.In my opinion, of course.

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM

The Nats are hardheaded but not stupid. We dumped Henry, Espi and Moore. We brought up Rendon. Major holes have been plugged. The last two are Haren, whom I expect to be either gone, or given a new task, and Span, whom I see hitting 8th behind Ramos. We give guys way too much leeway but eventually Rizzo gets the message and finally cleans up his own messes.The Nats will win their division.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Agreed Ghost – he got 3 chances… He bombed all 3 and this is his 4th…. He once again has bombed it….We see what SS and JZim did to this club and then here comes Dan Haren and he lets all hell break loose…

166. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM

No David – I'm sorry… We will disagree…. It would be different if he had a bad day… Haren is having a bad/terrible season… After seeing SS and JZimm carve this line up, and then D Haren come out and pitch as poorly as he has, he deserves every boo…. He hasn't done his job at all… He is a liability and Nats fans didnt pay to come to the park to see him once again implode… This time he didnt even make it the 5th…. He is terrible…I don't want to hear the sob story and the I know I can be better bs…. Time to put up or shut up….

167. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I think Nats players should almost never be booed, and I don't think that I have ever heard us boo one of our own.In this case, the booing was entirely and completely justified. Haren has taken the fans and organization on a ride just to line his pockets one last time. I can't wait to hear him tell us just how awful he is again after the game. He should just shut up. We all already know just how awful he is. A picture is worth a 1000 of his explanations.

168. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I agree he's terrible. What does booing him accomplish though? Will it suddenly make him better? Do you think Rizzo cares more about the fans booing than his atrocious results? I'm not defending Haren, I'm just saying I don't see a need to boo him. Home fans booing their own players has always been a pet peeve of mine. I don't like it (unless they're clearly not trying).

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

A 1-2-3 inning from Ohlendorf….

170. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Is Haren trying… He doesn't look like it to me… I can see a change coming… I would think if the Lerner's see the fans are displeased, then they would have an opinion/say something…Nats fans didnt even boo Espi… But D Haren… It's just terrible…Y'all know I can't stand Haren.. I didnt boo him, but I didnt clap for him… I'm just ready for him to be off the team….

171. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

So what's everyone doing tonight? Think I'll register for some classes order a pizza and watch the Broner fight on Showtime..

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

BTW, I was at the game where Nyjer threw the temper tantrum in the outfield and the other outfielder had to race over and pick up the ball and I don't really remember booing. I think it was against the O's several years back.I am pretty sure that I would have been booing today too, and I have never booed any Nats player before.

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM

But what were the fans supposed to do… Clap as he exited… Heck no… Sit in silence… No fans are gonna let him know that we are tired of his act…Something has got to give… What are DJ/Rizzo gonna do….

174. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Why isnt Ross Detwiler the #4 though?

175. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I am still waiting for all the people who are going to tell us that Haren is still way, way better than Lannan would have been….

176. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The numbers don't really matter beyond #1 Timothy. I think Davey wanted Detwiler and Strasburg back-to-back. And plus, due to injuries, it's all jumbled up now.

177. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Haren has been a bust no doubt about it, but I still think it was a reasonable gamble to make. However, it has failed and we need to move on before it's too late.

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I never feel sorry for people making big bucks getting. Booed as long as it is production not personality related.Haren is astand up guy on the interviews, but he does nothing to fix the problem during performance time

179. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I hated the signing… Admittedly so I wanted to keep EJax… But at this point, I'm over Haren… Every game is a loss… But my self-hope in my team hopes I'm wrong…. I haven't been when he is on the mound yet…

180. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Edwin's ERA is 5.49. Obviously better than Haren…but still awful.

181. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Follow up I will not boo amature athletes. Professionals are fair games.

182. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

After the game, Davey will say he has all the confidence in the world in Haren.Then tomorrow Haren will be on the DL. Watch.

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

And Haren will give his sob story and say idk… I'm better… Have to keep working… Same old dance and tune…Just sick of him…… And dangit. If we needed our bats to pick up, it would be today….This is frustrating….

184. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Take out Edwin's game against us and it is almost a dead heat, but that is another reality. Who is to say that Edwin wouldn't have pitched better in our ball park with our guys on a team where his performance mattered.To be fair, Edwin wanted a multi-year contract. That is why Lannan was the sensible option but apparently, there was bad blood between him and Rizzo. Lannan was a champ last year and took his demotion like a man. I am sorry he is gone but I am glad that he beat us if we had to lose to some Philly.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM

He could stop the booing in an instance. Out pitch your opponent.Didn,t hear boos for Gio, jzim or Strasburg.Fans don't boo just toboo. Since the player being booed has control if they get booed by just performing I have no problem booing.

186. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

The frank, stand-up thing with Haren bemoaning his own performances had a very short shelf-life. It then began to smell and quite frankly, it stinks to high heaven now. Be a real man and either say nothing, or retire immediately.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Right MnF! Fans didnt even boo Espi… So you know it's something with D Haren…

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Watching more baseball of course. This is game 16 this week will end up with 20

189. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

You can't really say nothing when reporters ask you about it. People would be really pissed if he refused to comment.

190. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

For all those conservative and libertarian Nats fans, who hate the IRS and graduated tax rates, aren't you at least a little glad that the U.S. government will be keeping approximately 40 percent of Mr. Haren's salary….

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

In reality he is. The order they pitch is always same as you see them arrive for many reasond

192. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I already had this game down as a loss so I'm not upset about it. Almost comical watching Haren perform now.I do want a win tomorrow. 3/4 would make me happy.

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

How about this, when asked, Haren should simply refer reporters to his remarks after his previous five starts.Nuff said…

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Span with a clutch hit. Maybe he can save his lead-off position….

195. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Rizzo originally drafted Ohlendorf at Arizona. So you know he likes him.

196. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Career wise he is, but no longer.

197. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Is that the first double play Rendon has grounded into? Maybe like one other but I don't remember any.

198. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I think we just want to end this game as quickly as possible. We basically forfeited it anyway.

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Ditto

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM

We can only hope.

201. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM

What's the word on why Werth was scratched? Is he okay?

202. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The real question is just who is the worst Nats pitcher of all time, Haren or Wang?

203. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Truth be known, i booed Espi too, but since lower salary softer boos.

204. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

not yet, come on guys.

205. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Haren is worse. Wang has a 2.74 ERA for the Blue Jays this year. Of course. (only 2 starts though)

206. Timothy Folk - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM

See You Later! (Tomorrow)

207. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Wang has only pitched 14 innings, but his stats last year were quite similar to Haren's with an even higher ERA. I don't remember him getting boo'ed. Despised, yes. Boo'ed, no.

208. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Well Wang didn't get the leash that Haren has gotten. And iirc, Det saved Wang's ass a few times.

209. Dan Strong - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I'd much prefer Ohlendorf as our 5th starter to Haren. He might not be amazing or a big name, but he can keep games close which is all you can really ask for out of a #5.

210. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Last 7 rotation around the batting ordet Span or Rendon got a hit 5 times, the 2 havent both got a hit. Rendon hit the ball hard twice after Span hits but right at people.

211. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Put together hits please.

212. Christopher Cohen - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Actually, the worst pitcher in Nats history is definitely Daniel Cabrera. After that, it is Dan Haren and then Wang.

213. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

They're saving all their hits for tomorrow, MNF.

214. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I have come to the conclusion that this teams hitting woes are not just a slump; they are a chronic problem. Even in the 2-1 victory last night, the Nats had only 5 hits in 28 at bats. The Ugly Face Of The Franchise is the biggest culprit. His once promising career is morphing into oblivion.

215. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Batters 6-8.177.223.133Our replacement players for injuries are not good enough.

216. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Lets score. 7 in the 8th

217. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I wonder what Livan is up to….

218. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Worst Nats pitch of all time…..Henry Rodriguez and he got more rope than any of the other pathetic names mentioned.

219. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Well we just need about 6 bloops and a bomb. Doable right?

220. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Is Eck still coaching? Havent seen him on bench

221. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They showed him earlier, MNF.

222. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Both teams missing their best hitters. Rockies have a numberin hovering .300 only one under ,.250.We have 3 way under .250.

223. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM

My worst:1. D-Cab2. Wanger3. Haren 4. Speignor5. BacsikBut No. 3 is rising every time he takes the ball.

224. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Didnt see him, was hoping he was optioned to Syracuse.

225. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ray knight coming around.

226. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ray has been laying into Haren lately.

227. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

No shutout at least.

228. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Typical Zimmerman, getting a dinger when the game is over!

229. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Zim's first 3 at bats men on (first 2 a guy on second).Then comes up bases empty and homers.Go figure.

230. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ray Knight says of Haren: "There's got to be a change, and a change quickly"When you shovel that through the BS-o-meter translator, it comes out:"Ohlmendorf is now the No. 5 starter. Haren is long relief and mop-up."

231. David Proctor - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

How is that "typical Zimmerman." This is the first HR he's hit this year when the game was out of hand.There are a whole lot of teams who would love to have Ryan Zimmerman. *waits for someone to suggest trading him*

232. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Based on the HROD-meter and Espi-meter, Haren going nowhere.

233. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ray Knight, "You can't give aay a day.

234. BigCat - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Sooooo, what to do with Mr Haren. DL? bullpen? Syracuse? Pink Slip? Or throw him out there again in 5 days. send your votes to Manassas Nats Fan