Rockies roll past Haren, Nats

Jun 22, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today
With three straight wins heading into Saturday’s matchup against the Colorado Rockies, the Nationals saw whatever momentum they had dissipate and quickly. As he has almost all season, starter Dan Haren immediately found trouble and left his team little chance at all in a 7-1 blowout.
Haren’s day was rough from the beginning with a solo home run by the Rockies’ second batter, D.J. LaMahieu. Three innings and five more earned runs later for the 32-year-old Haren and his day was done. He walked off the mound after recording just ten outs with many in the crowd of 35,787 letting him hear it with boos.
For a pitcher with Haren’s resume, it’s not often he’s heard this type of reaction from a home crowd. But given his outing and season overall – he’s now worst the majors with a 6.15 ERA – Haren feels it is deserved.
“No one wants to be booed. I’d probably boo myself, too,” Haren said. “I’m not doing well and the fans have a right to express how they feel. I wish I could perform better for them.”

Another unfortunate start for Haren and he’s now allowed 20 earned runs in his last 18 1/3 innings pitched. It is the worst stretch Haren can remember going through as a major league pitcher.
  1. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

All you Ejac bashers in here, he did what a 5th starter was suppose to do, he was 500, 10-10 I believe. Haren has already lost more games now than Ejac did all in 2012. Granted, I am glad Ejac is gone as I am a huge Lannan fan and felt John should have been the guy, but I would take Ejac over Haren any day

2. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM

2013 Edwin Jackson is 3-9 with a 5.49 era. And the Cubs are stuck with him foe seemingly an eternity. No thanks.

3. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM

"I am glad Ejac is gone"I believe I stated that Joe

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Joe, it comes down to consistency which has been lacking in the Haren starts. Haren has had some good starts, just not enough of them.

5. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Joe, it comes down to consistency which has been lacking in the Haren starts. you think? LOL

6. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Joe…. understand the difference between an "Ejac basher" and somebody that is "glad that he's gone".How could you not see that dofference?

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Mick, say what? EJax was brought in last year as a top of the rotation pitcher with post-season leadership and the Nats were 12-19 in games he started.They got an inconsistent starter who failed miserably in the post-season.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Mick, when Haren was first mentioned as a possibility of being released by the Angels I thought the Nats should stay away. After they actually signed him I thought Rizzo knew what he was doing.All you want with your players is consistently good and while pitchers can't fully control their W's you can't be at a 6+ ERA and expect for your team to win.

9. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…Joe…. understand the difference between an "Ejac basher" and somebody that is "glad that he's gone".How could you not see that difference?as usual…you spin or either don't understand the post…but then again, why should one be surprised of one of your ilk, as you think you can attack anyone an not expect a response. My point was:In 2012, Ejac did what 5th starter is suppose to do. The Nats were not going to re sign him and the playoff game may have been a factor. from a money standpoint and performance my preference was Lannan for 2013.Joe makes the point of Ejac 2013 stats so far and I agreed with him that I am glad he is gone based on 2013if you do not understand that, I could give a crap…you need to stop attacking me pal, if you want a battle you got it..what makes me sick is I have complimented you and agreed with you in the past…you think your are higher and mightier than anyone and you can attack who you want…not me pal. I will be up your ass the rest of the way and I will have no problem emailing Mark.Peric has more decency than you and is more of a man…Are the rules in here, some of you can attack whoever you want, but God forbid if they respond to it?/ I will not play that game.got it sweetheart?

10. Unknown - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

11. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Unknown said…These hateful comments make this site unbearable. Too bad, there are a lot of well thought out comments. Is there a way to block some commentators?let me be clear, I never attack anyone unless they attack me first so consider that

12. Unknown - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

13. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Unknown said…Too many hateful comments. The trolls dominate this site. Does this blog welcome readers, or only those commentators who are good at stirring up irrelevant arguments? Really, a Haynesworth discussion.somebody who goes by "Unkown" calling anyone a troll is the definition of Chutzpah…and what Haynesworth discussion…an analogy was made based on monies and team needs…once again the only troll in here is one who cherry picks and spins now do everyone a favor and go back under the bridge

14. Nats 128 - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

"EJax was brought in last year as a top of the rotation pitcher with post-season leadership and the Nats were 12-19 in games he started."12-20 if you include the playoffs. Im not stikcing up for Edwin Jackson or Haren. Neither was a good choice however Jackson was never this bad.

15. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Mick, say what? EJax was brought in last year as a top of the rotation pitcher with post-season leadership and the Nats were 12-19 in games he started.you got to be careful with stats like that because then one can ask…what was Gio or Stras real record based on the parameters you are applying to Ejac?

16. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I looked at Harens stats from the last couple years and saw an aging, solid big league veteran who'd skills were notably in decline. Was he worth the gamble for a spring training look? No doubt. Was he worth 13 mil? No way. Rizzo didn't mess up to bad, he only gave him one yearHayensworth was a big, fat, lazy, drunken toad when he was here.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Mick, Gio and Stras were still good in comparison. Again, not speaking in hindsight. Rizzo has had options, yes them.

18. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I think people have to realize that sarcasm often does not come through all that well on the internet. When people are serious, I think they have ways of getting that across.