Game 75: Rockies at Nats

Jun 23, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The Nats and Rockies face off in their series finale today, as long as the weather holds up that is. It was raining heavily through the morning and scattered thunderstorms are expected throughout the day. There does, however, appear to be a window in the afternoon to get the game in.

Ross Detwiler (2-5, 3.34 ERA) is making his his 11th start of the season and his second against the Rockies in just the last ten days. On June 13 Detwiler took a no decision after allowing three earned runs in five innings in Colorado. The lefty has a 6.19 ERA through four total appearances against the Rockies.

Pitching for Colorado is left-hander Jorge De La Rosa (7-4, 3.21) who allowed three runs against the Nats on June 12 in a Rockies loss. He is 3-2 with a 4.84 ERA against the Nationals in six career starts.

Jayson Werth is back in the Nats' lineup after a one-game absence due to an illness. He is hitting cleanup with Adam LaRoche and Denard Span getting the day off.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the game…

COLORADO ROCKIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, WUSA-9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500)
Weather: Scattered thunderstorms, 85 degrees

CF Jeff Kobernus
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
1B Chris Marrero
C Kurt Suzuki
LF Steve Lombardozzi
LHP Ross Detwiler

1. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Time for Kobernus or Marrero to step up and show they should stay here. C'mon Nats, win the series.

2. Doc - Jun 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Let's hope that Det starts mixing in more of his offspeed stuff to-day. His ERA has crept up the more hitters have had opportunities of seeing just his two kinds of FB's.

3. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Two infielders in the outfield… that's risky.

4. Gonat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Marrero needs to really step up. Lets go! Glad to see Werth is back!

5. Pete - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Interesting to see Davey playing the splits. Fingers crossed for a series win!

6. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes Phil. I like Lombo, but good gosh, did you see that throw home the other night? I think Nyger threw better and he couldn't throw out Ironsides(Raymond Burr) tagging from 3rd. I see Harper is being very cautious on his return. I'll bet dad has a close eye on this.

7. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Agree with Phil that this is not our best defensive Lineup, but I am actually happy that Davey is finally giving players an occasional day off. Bringing over comments from the last post. Ghost, I am not saying Haren was the right move, I am merely mentioning that at least its only one year and I, like others thought it was a decent gamble. If you look at most of the other starters, they were all looking for multiple years. Haren needed to show his stuff to get that last multiple year deal and it looks like that will not happen now. Again, he could turn it around but I don't see it. I do agree with Mick that my choice would have been another year of Lannan but he and Rizzo had probably had enough of each other.Mick – I just don't understand what you think emailing Mark will do? Are we grown men/women going to shake in our boots awaiting Mark's decision on what is and is not an attack? If you threaten emailing Mark anytime someone disagrees with you he will soon think your email is spam. Just lighten up, talk baseball and try and understand that you will not always be on the right side of each argument. In my opinion, Natsjack did nothing outrageous in disagreeing with your statement and just because you happen to agree with him a few times does not make him your buddy. He and I have gone back and forth a couple times and it is what makes this site fun. Natsjack WILL poke the bear and I kinda like it.

8. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Big Cat – Dad and don't forget Mr. Boras

9. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

oh yeah, forgot about Mr Boras. He is always laying in the tall grass…watching…isn't he?

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Big Cat, Lombo has a better arm than Nyjer. On those 300 foot throws he has to hit the cutoff. His throws are serviceable from LF to 2nd base.

11. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That throw I saw was on a hard grounder to left. He charged the ball fine, used his legs well in throwing, but the ball sailed high and up the third base line. it looked like a Billy Kilmer pass

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

sjm, lucky its only 1 year. If the team didn't have Ohlendorf they would have to stick with Haren. Rizzo has an alternative TRY IT! Doing nothing isn't a solution. McCatty has tried fixing him. Someone said Harens location isn't the problem that its the movement. True that cutter with good movement fixes mist location issues unless its center cut. Still want both.

13. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Just read the end of the last thread. Yikes. Lighten up folks. The rain has stopped, the game is about to start, and we have Det on the mound. Life is good.Well, it's pretty good. The lineup looks kind of AAA to me. I'm all for giving guys a day off, but how about one at a time over the course of a week? And yes, I get that we're going against a LH pitcher.

14. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We just gotta get the hitting going, just a little. Good God…its just putrid! Every game its the same, 1-0 going into the 6th or 7thI have always said that pitching and defense can carry a club a long way, but lord have mercy. If we had average or below average pitching we'd be 10-15 games below .500. Someone said Span had some comments about Eck. I missed that. Were they derogatory?

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

16. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Big Cat and others, it's NyJer, not NyGer. The mistake is getting old, and if it's not a mistake, it's reprehensible. Call him Morgan if you can't remember how to spell his name.Nyjer was a cancer. He had a terrible arm, got terrible jumps in the field, was a sure out against lefties, made regular mistakes on the basepaths, and had a bizarre personality that led to irrational explosions that hurt the team. It's just crazy to think he'd be a better option than any of the guys who have played the outfield, even the infielders.Why are we still talking about that guy?

17. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

18. Exposremains - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

One thing for sure is that all of Rizzo's free agent starting pitcher signing have been a big fail and cost about 40 millions to the team.

19. Exposremains - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Rizzo is good at evaluating young pitchers but not so much veterans.

20. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I as well love to read Mick. His passion is undeniable and he takes each loss hard.

21. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

BigCat said…Mick, I think you said a while back that you are a coach or used to be a coach. i'll bet you're pretty intense in that dugoutat times I was…but I never yelled at a player during games, I always addressed mistakes during practices and felt I had a great relationship with my players.

22. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Haren to the dl

23. Doc - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

As far as Rizzo's signing of Haren–it could have been worse!Like the Cubbies, he could have signed EJax to 4 yrs./$40mm. What's Edwin now, something like 2-10 and an ERA close to 6.00

24. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…I like some of Mick's provocative posts. Gets you thinking. Haynesworthless was just the wrong name. McNabb is the perfect comparison and the Redskins benched him and it was the right move.I like that better!sjm..I hear you…your probably right

25. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

sjm was an intense coach as well and a good coach

26. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Make sure you check out Kilgore's post about Bryce's batting practice. Look forward to hearing about it from any NI's who were there early. Wow!

27. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wait, did I miss something? Did sjm coach Mick at some point, or were you opposing coaches? Details?

28. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Did I hear Dan Haren is going to the DL… Whoa!I wonder if its too late, though…And I wonder if this means we see T Jordan this year…

29. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

222: Well said on both your points @ 12:49.

30. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

This team will just hope to tread water playing weak hitting infielders in the outfield.UCLA is going to the CWS hitting .182 Rizzo must be smiling

31. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

SCNatsFan: Given the way Miss. State has been playing, I don't think UCLA's approach is going to hold up.

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Good inning Ross…

33. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Ghost…..that 92mph sinker to the #2 hitter is one of the best fastballs I've seen Det throw this year.. It moved so much I thought it was his change.

34. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Our running game sucks. Which is fine, we don't have to run (the 5 worst running teams last year were all playoff teams). But I wish we wouldn't bother trying.

35. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

For a gu here for his base running Kobernus keeps making outs on the base path. Running himself right back to northern NY.

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

2 walks in the first inning… Hopefully, we take advantage of it… Although I liked Kobernus's aggressiveness….

37. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I think Haren got hrodded

38. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If Kobernus doesn't get picked off, he might score there with his speed. Unacceptable for the rookie.

39. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

The pick off hurts now….

40. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Of course…

41. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Game over…..the way the Nats are hitting.

42. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Naw Phil… We are winning this one 6-1…

43. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Marrero still hitless…

44. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

A while back we could not get anyone on base. Now we are getting them on but not scoring them. Can we take that next step please? At least they are making the pitcher work hard and I do like that. Never know when that might benefit you later.

45. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Great bunt Lombo!

46. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Be nice if Det could help himself out…. But I'm not expecting it…

47. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Marrero is totally wasting a roster spot.

48. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Det is our worst hitting pitcher. I'd be shocked.

49. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

They are setting this up for Haren to DL when Harper returns. (Hopefully next week).This comment is from the other thread relating to Haren headed to the DL. Maybe Bryce is the corresponding move, but with RossO taking Haren's rotation spot, that leaves only Sori, Clip, Storen, Stammen, Abad, and Krol in the pen. I would think Davey would want another reliever. Seems like Kobernus is on the bubble for that move once Bryce returns. When is Mattheus going to be healed? Marrero is not speedy.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Did Det just get caught up looking at Lombo steal the base…

51. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Mattheus is still several weeks away. Charlie Slowes said that Davey may not make Ross O the spot starter and it may "be someone we haven't seen before." Not sure what that means, kind of cryptic.

52. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Was Kobernus trying to steal, or did he just get picked off and keep going just in case?Strike zone today is wide and high; that could be problematic for Det's usual style.Guys should've learned from the first inning that waiting out De La Rosa is the more successful strategy, right? His control doesn't look great, and he's nibbling an awful lot.

53. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

222 – I would think Marerro is the odd man out… Hasn't done anything to justify being bought up…

54. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Emdash I think he was going on first move and got caught

55. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I wish Det would do more off-speed pitches….

56. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yeah, Marrero for Harper makes sense, and maybe an extra reliever for Haren for a few days until they need another starter? Davis, maybe.

57. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM

That one run doesn't bother me as much as it would have a couple of weeks ago.

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Sigh….

59. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

*waits for people to blame Zimmerman for not getting to that ball even though he had no shot*

60. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Det not getting the low strike tends to be problematic for him…Good play, but wow is CarGo fast.

61. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Yeah I was just about to say, this blue isn't conducive for the way that Det pitches….

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Wow….

63. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Come on Det…

64. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Let the Zim play put to rest the assertion that he never dives any more. "Past a diving Zimmerman" is becoming a not uncommon refrain.Det has been keeping the ball on the ground. They just have eyes."I think it's pretty clear that DeLaRosa is not going to shut out the Nats today," says Carp. Pretty clear? Hmm.

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

This is a disaster….

66. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

How did Rosario get to that ball? Sigh.

67. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

This one is getting out of hand. Amazing how easy the opposing team makes scoring runs look compared to the Nats.

68. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

"Let the Zim play put to rest the assertion that he never dives any more. "Past a diving Zimmerman" is becoming a not uncommon refrain."Zimmerman had no shot on that ball. Even Gold Glove Zimmerman isn't going to get to that.

69. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Harper, our last best hope…hard to score four with this lineup

70. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

"I think it's pretty clear that DeLaRosa is not going to shut out the Nats today," says Carp. Pretty clear? Hmm.=============With four runs already scored, he doesn't have to shut them out.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm not sure this line up will score 4 runs… Sigh

72. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Haren isn't McCatty's only problem.

73. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

the issue is, can the Nats hit and get at least 4 runs? Det looks like a frighten puppy, look of no confidence and despair…just makes me sick…will this team ever get going, i really doubt it

74. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM

DP, i didn't say he should have got it. Relax. You may have missed a discussion earlier this week where someone said he never dives anymore. He does dive, just not as successfully as he used to God forbid anyone should criticize the FoF. But it's pretty clear to me he's not a GG caliber 3B any more. There's no shame in that. It's just a fact.

75. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM

not with so many minor leaguers in the lineup

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I wonder what DJ's logic is for leading off with Kobernus… Is it his speed?

77. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Mrs. B…. The Nats couldn't score 6 runs in a week.

78. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Woah, I'm not jumping on you. Zim is certainly open to criticism, but I don't find that he's significantly worse at 3B than he used to be (throws notwithstanding) and the data tends to back that up. I just get slightly peeved when people act as if Zimmerman is washed up at Age 28 when nothing suggests that to be actually true.It's all good though, I'm perfectly calm.

79. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

it's clear minor league hitters are rarely a cure for a bad bench…Morse would have been worth keeping esp. in place of the lombo/bernadina/kobernus/Moore/Marrero who had to start so many games with little results

80. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Nice answer guys.Just when you think this team has turned a corner they remind you they are a .500 squad.

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

We had DeLa Rosa on the ropes the first inning for sure… And got nothing from it…We don't take advantage of our opportunities when we have them… Poor base running by Kobernus, dumb first pitch swining by Desi…I'm hoping we still win this game but this is the type of stuff that pisses me off…

82. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM

actually, I'm amazed they are .500 with the 6-8 hitters they have to play.The team was built with no room for injury, slumps or the unexpected.Would love to have one yankee bench player of Wells, Overbay,Hafner to fill unexpected gaps

83. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Glad you're calm, so am I. We just disagree. The data doesn't back that up as far as I can tell. And you can't separate his throws from the rest of his defense. He's gone from the best in baseball to middle of the pack in just a few years. He's not washed up, he's just not great any more. To me, that says we don't lose much by moving him to 1B in the next few years.But it's all good, I agree. Except that the Nats are down by 4, and that's a tall hill to climb I'm afraid. Oops make that 5.

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Well… And game over… Sorry to say, we will split the series….

85. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Looks like we got bad Det today. He only succeeds when he keeps the ball down (like Haren, really) and he's leaving everything up.

86. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

And here we go, right on cue, with the gnashing of teeth and wringing if hands. The Rockies lead the national league on many hitting categories. They have a great offense that we have managed to hold down occasionally with great pitching. We have an awful offense, we are last in many offensive categories. This is what good hitting looks like. Maybe our hitters will pick up a few tips. I like the way the Nats have been getting on base. Need to step it up to the next level.

87. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Do we get halfprice pizza if the Rockies score 7 two days in a row?

88. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

NO way Mick. This team is awful. I cant wait for the season to end and Davey gets his BIG BUTT outta here. You cant win games sending out Kobernus, Marrero… The pick off play in the first was just a perfect example of why they stink.

89. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

This is what offense looks like.

90. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

And of course, no room for injury in the starting staff

91. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Even if we lose this game, which looks likely, we did win the season series against them. If that counts for anything.Did I hear people booing again? I hate it.

92. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

And apparently Ross is not getting the low strike call– hence the ball is up. And what do good hitters do with that??? I think we all know.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

David – he has to throw every thing high as the blue isn't calling anything low… I'm looking at pitch track and there have been some low strikes that's not getting called…

94. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Section222- if the Rockies score 14, is the pizza twice as much?

95. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM

"You cant win games sending out Kobernus, Marrero… The pick off play in the first was just a perfect example of why they stink."This is just hilarious because many people here were calling for Davey and Rizzo's heads for not playing them sooner. No matter what they do, it's wrong.

96. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

People booing Ross? Really? Bandwagon ex- Yankee fans.

97. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

yes….just seeing what the amazing rockies are doing outside of Coors makes me a bit envious…even with Tuto.

98. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It seems that there are quite a few Nats fans that actually think the Nats best line up should be Lombardozzi, Lombardozzi, Morse, Morse, Morse, Lombardozzi, Morse, Lombardozzi and Lannan.

99. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You have a pitcher who cant find the plate. Is pacing back and forth. really pressing. What do we do? Get caught in a pick off. BUSH LEAGUE!!!

100. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

No DJ should have played Kobernus when he was how, which is when he cam up… But he kept sticking with Mr Pop up Chad Tracy…

101. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The Rocks are a .500 team, and their offensive prowess is based at least in part on Tulo, who is on the DL. If all the Nats can muster in a 4 game series is a split, then they are destined to be a .500 team too. No excuses.

102. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It's good they tried something different. The team just isn't deep enuf to have solutions. There is no answer except for more games against Miami and the return of Harper.

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I didnt hear anyone booing… But this was a bad outting for Det…

104. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Chad Tracy, despite his awfulness, has won us two games and put us in a position to win a third and we couldn't capitalize. I feel safe in saying Kobernus would not have made that impact, even if playing every day.There's a reason the Tigers didn't want him.

105. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Hahahaha NJ at your post at 2:41…. So true man… So true…

106. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Sorry NJ, Who wants a 220 hitting 2b man playing the outfield everyday. Speak for yourself.

107. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

great post proctor. I have planned on going to games and then looked at the lineup and "JUST SAID NO"

108. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Det's body language said that he had given up several batters ago. Five runs in three innings, and the book isn't closed on him yet.

109. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Kobernus wasn't given a chance until he languished on the bench… We don't know what would have happened had he used him when he first came up…

110. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Kind of doesn't matter much at this point. Not like any of the choices are lighting it up. We continue to blame the pitcher, the bench players. Rizzo– it's clearly the offense. But we can't possibly think the hitting coach has any effect. Does this make any sense at all??? Does not matter if the Rockies score 20 if we cannot even score one.

111. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

NatsJack @ 2:41 p.m.: Don't forget that a poster or two wanted Nyjer Morgan back as lead-off hitter.

112. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Well Stammen did his job. That was a broken bat bloop. You can't help that.

113. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Zimm has struggled hitting this year because there is no power behind him. AKA Morse. And that is just the FACTS Mr. NATS JACK!!

114. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

David- Lombo has won us a game or two also, but everyone just loves to make him a scapegoat for some reason.

115. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Joe – it also hurts that this blue like everything up and in… Which it what most batters feast on…But, here is hoping the bats can come alive… *sigh*

116. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

and Yes, I'd wish they'd would have signed Morse or someone like him, given that injuries always happen. Even the team America loves to hate thought of that. Oh and I am a yankees fan since 1971. Nats fan since 05

117. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Wait a minute Swami – who hasn't said something about the hitting coach.. I think most have…

118. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Again– won't matter if the hottest hitting team in the league scores fifty– if we cannot even score one.

119. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said…I wonder what DJ's logic is for leading off with Kobernus… Is it his speed?June 23, 2013 2:31 PM—–/////Davey seems to have developed some weird fetish for second basemen. Too bad it doesn't translate into winning baseball.

120. Unknown - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

At the game now. Crowd is getting restless. If the Mats don't counter, it's too hot and sweaty to watch a blowout. I bet people leave with their bobblehead by the 7th.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

And Lombo isn't a scape goat.. People are back to reality and see he is a good utility player (awful OF) but the comparison between he and Espi were why they wanted him in…Not becuz he was this prowess wasting on the bench…

122. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Mrs. B– oh, yes, we say it all the time!! But the organization makes him sound like he taught Babe Ruth how to hit. No problem there– no sirree. Denial is just a river in Egypt.

123. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Everyone Swami…that doesn't make sense,,,who exactly is blaming lombo for all our woes…he's not the backup outfielder you are looking for ???Are you defending him out there ?? It's just we don't have any choices… They weren't built for any injuries/slumps in my opinion.

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That low strike is for DeLaRosa… But Det don't get that…

125. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Just saying that there is so much focus on small cogs in the wheel, like bench players, when the real problem is so very much bigger.

126. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Rizzo and Davey love Eckstein. Even if the team never scores another run, that love affair won't ever end.

127. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Oh great, more sub 200 hitters in the outfield.

128. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Great, another injury.

129. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Well, there goes Werth.

130. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Werth's legs were shot when he signed his fat contract.

131. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Ok, what is the real problem..Is Eckstein the scapegoat for all our woes ?

132. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The issue is, we can't/couldn't afford the major injuries to which we have sustained this year….That's the issue… And then the slow start by some bats and the woeful bench…. It's a cluster $&8$ but yeah I do believe that if Eck isn't the problem, he isn't the answer..

133. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM

My hope is it's just a cramp because he was sick yesterday. Dehydration or whatever.

134. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Hey, we scored a couple of runs. Even if we lose this game because Det melted down, I'll be content if we score some more runs. Show some life.

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

But also Swami – (to play devil's advocate) it's a double edge sword becuz Eck was *the reason* they scored all over the place next year…I will say, we have been getting more hits lately… Now need to work on our situational hitting and scoring runs…

136. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Jeff- lots of people are posting if only Lombo wasn't in left field. I agree he is a utility infielder and should not be out there. Just saying the guy is for sure way down the list of our problems. He has hits and Rbi's at least. Him playing everyday in left is a bad management decision, maybe , on multiple levels, but it's not like he is solely responsible for our malaise. Chad Tracy hits once in a while- another small piece of the puzzle. It's like counting the deck chairs on the titanic.

137. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Is the team bad because they are hurt? Or are they hurt because they are bad.?

138. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

yes, DP, it is good to see some ABs with RISP.

139. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Secret wasian man said…Is the team bad because they are hurt? Or are they hurt because they are bad.?That doesn't even make sense…

140. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Issues with this team are complex and multiple. But they center around the hitting at this point of the season. Other things scuffle here and there, but the hitting is the elephant on the room. Eck has got to be some part of it- but there is no ONE answer or person to blame.

141. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

"Zimm has struggled hitting this year because there is no power behind him. AKA Morse."=================Ryan Zimmerman's 2011 line: .289/.355/.443; 118 OPS+Ryan Zimmerman's 2012 line: .282/.346/.478; 122 OPS+Ryan Zimmerman's 2013 line: .268/.345/.464; 123 OPS+How is 2013 'struggling' compared to the previous two seasons with Michael Morse in the line-up?

142. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The Nats are only bad in the games they lose.

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Well, we put a crooked number up… Hopefully we can do it again and again… We show signs/life …

144. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Agreed Swami, there isn't one solution to this offense or one problem. As Mrs B says, we couldn't afford injury this year.

145. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

yes, there only 1/2 bad.

146. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Eugene….don't bother. It's useless.

147. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Hahahaha… natsJack, you're making me laugh today man…

148. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

or maybe they're just 1/2 good (w/o Harper)

149. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Our outfield right now is Lombardozzi-Kobernus-Bernadina. Yikes.

150. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Joe Seamhead said… MrsB loves the Nats said… I wonder what DJ's logic is for leading off with Kobernus… Is it his speed? June 23, 2013 2:31 PM —–///// Davey seems to have developed some weird fetish for second basemen. Too bad it doesn't translate into winning baseball.Huh?Kobernus has lots of speed — he stole 21 bases in AAA in just a few months, to go along with his .333 average and .378 OBP. That makes him a perfect table-setter if he can get going in the big leagues. Do you have a better leadoff candidate for today's game?

151. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I love that people keep blaming dehydration for Werth's woes. As if it is sooooo difficult to stay hydrated. Maybe he should shave the caveman beard if he can't stay cool.

152. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Jayson– oh. He did look a little green and it's super humid today. But that outfield . Hope it's not the hammy :(

153. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Put me down for not thinking that Eck is the cause of our offensive woes. And apparently Davey doesn't think so either, nor does Rizzo, nor do the players. You don't think if there were an easy fix, they'd do it? People make fun of Eck's clipboard and how hard he works. Remember Lenny Harris. He sat around playing poker with the players? Is that what we need? The fact is the folks who are critical of Eck have absolutely no idea: (1) what he does day in and day out working with the players; and (2) what should be done instead. For the record, I don't either. But youT think there's a single magic bullet that will retore our offense. That's just not going to happen.

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ya know… Our bench hasn't been able to live up to (in a sense) the folks they replaced…We've miss significant time from Harp, Werth, Zimm.. Had to get thru AdLa's repeated slow starts… Just now getting steady offensive production from our 2nd basemen… Has to deal with issues in our SPs… It's a lot of little things that of course are magnified when we lose…At this point, the bet we can hope for is a healthy up and we go on a roll…

155. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

"Zimm has struggled hitting this year because there is no power behind him. AKA Morse."Ooh, ooh, let me try, too:Zim has had, for the most part, Harper and LaRoche hitting behind him. They have 12 and 10 HR's respectively. How is that "no power"?

156. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Nice play that you don't see everyday….like the Nats scoring 2 runs thru 4. Enjoy, would be better with a bobblehead.

157. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Zimmerman is getting a workout on the hot corner today.

158. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Zimmerman and Desmond are the only opening day regulars on the field for the Nats right now.

159. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

NatsJack @2:27, so true. They hit that Staples EASY button

160. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Please carp don't say Davey is just waiting to manage a game, of all the disappointments this year his decisions rank right near if not at the top of the list.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Wonk – I'm not sure if your post was for me or not… But that's my question… Is it becuz of Kobernus's speed? Idk, I probably would have lead off with Werth… But I'm glad I don't make these decisions…

162. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM

222- not THE cause– there is no one cause. But he just has to have some part in this. It is not possible for him to be of no use here or else why in the world are the Nats paying him? If you are not part of the solution then you have to be at least some part of the problem. Or at least get out of the way because maybe someone else CAN be part of he solution.

163. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

SCNatsFan said… I love that people keep blaming dehydration for Werth's woes. As if it is sooooo difficult to stay hydrated.Well, yes, it is depending on what illness he had yesterday. I had the flu last summer, and I couldn't stay hydrated no matter how much I drank — I had to go to the hospital for some IV fluids.For that matter, there are plenty of instances of players getting IV liquids _during_ a game.Fact of the matter is this — on a very hot and humid day, a human can find it impossible to replace his liquids as fast as he can sweat it out.

164. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Sec222 I don't know what will work with hitting instruction but it is clear Eck doesn't either. Would a change help? I have no idea but hard to believe it would hurt.

165. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I agree with you Deuces.Nice catch by Lombo. I'm writing him in on the all star ballot.

166. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Of course, there is no single solution…Just appears the Nats have tried out all their options for the injuries and poor bench. They can play 600 ball but as Mrs B says they can't afford an injury in their starting 8.

167. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Section 222….BINGO! They have no idea.Just Friday I heard an interview with George Brett and he said if anybody thought he has anything to do with an individuals ability to hit, then that person was ignorant about what a hitting coach does at the ML level.That's George Brett, not me.

168. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Gee, Lombo gets on base twice ( wink, wink).

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

David – your post at 3:07… Major problem….

170. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

171. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Wonk – I'm not sure if your post was for me or not… But that's my question… Is it becuz of Kobernus's speed? My answer was for both you and he.Yes, he has great speed (as I noted 21 SB's in AAA so far), and he also (in AAA, at least) hit for average. If he can hit like he did in AAA, he'd be a terrific lead off guy.

172. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Well, wonk, that goes back to another post… DJ let Kobernus sit on the bench instead of using him when he was out (which is when he was just bought up)

173. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

In a "normal" lineup the left fielder is normally your worst outfielder, with the weakest arm, but normally can mash the baseball.

174. karlkolchak - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Eugene in Oregon – yeah, I don't buy that no power hitting behind Zimmerman stuff either. How do you then explain Desmond, who seems to be hitting just fine despite having the likes of Espinosa and Lombardozzi hitting behind him all year? The problem for Zim is that everyone was expecting that after his great 2009 season he was going to become an elite offensive player. Unfortunately, he hasn't become one and it appears now he never will be anything more than solid–which is far less than we need from him right now, unfortunately.

175. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

So why have hitting coaches? Are they just scouts for the other team's pitchers? Really- I want to know why teams have them if they are of no use except to compile stats. I also would love to see them throw away the book for a series, tell the hitters nothing except– go hit the ball.

176. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

BigCat said… What do you think if you are Bernadina? You got a flea banjo hitter with a pop gun arm playing in front of you….permanentlyNo — not permanently. Shark was starting regularly against right handed pitchers until he got the eye infection, and, I would bet would have started today if the Rockies had started a RHP.But, also remember, Shark has raised his average to .177So, the answer to: "What do you think if you are Bernadina?" is probably "I'd be playing right now if I were hitting better this year."

177. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I can't wait until Rendon and Harper are hitting back to back.

178. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

If players like Steve Lombardozzi and Jeff Kobernus are going to stick around in the major leagues, they are going to do so as utility players, not as second basemen. They'll need to play multiple positions — 2B, 3B, OF, SS if they've got the arm, and it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a 1B mitt and take some reps there in practice. The Nats aren't starting second basemen, they're starting utility players. And they're not doing it because those guys are starters, but because one OF is on the DL and another is getting a day off. That's the way it works in a 162-game season.

179. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Morse is hitting the same as LaRoche, and on the DL for the second time. He's only played in 56 games this season so far.For Det – wonder if he's still building up arm strength? Endurance might've taken a hit while he was on the DL. In the 3rd he mostly got BABIPed with a lot of bloops that fell in, but in the 4th he pretty clearly hit the wall. Hopefully that'll pass.Hope Werth isn't too badly hurt. More injuries are the last thing they need.

180. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Slo-Mo really showed how Rendon keeps his hands inside that fastball in. Folks, you can't teach that.And you could see his head staying on the ball through the swing.

181. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

That's what Desi does, by the way.

182. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Morse is back on the DL.

183. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

DP ands some for good reason (Rendon over Espinosa, ALR/Span for the lefty pitcher, Werth did start). So Tuesday, we have 6 of our starters, is that enuf ?

184. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

SC, it's one thing to say, "let's give Marrero a try, he can't be worse than Moore." Or, "let's give Kobernus some ABs in CF against a leftie, he can't be worse than Span." It's quite another to say, "let's fire the guy who's been working his butt off for this team for years, and had a good deal of success, and everyone likes him and doesn't think he's doing a bad job, but it might help, so let's try somebody else."

185. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Come on Roger…

186. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Really- I want to know why teams have them if they are of no use except to compile stats.The plain fact of the matter is: we can't run a controlled experiment such as: rolling the season back to the beginning and seeing if a different hitting coach would do better.Do we know that the advice Eck is giving is being listened to? (We have no idea)Do we know how the players would be doing if Eck were doing a terrible job? (We have no idea)Do we know why the Nats were among the best hitting teams for most of the season last year, but one of the worst now — despite that Eck was hitting coach last year and this? (We have no idea).This isn't to defend Eck — it's just to say that: we really have no idea what kind of a job he is doing. And so, or me, I'm not going to attack or defend him — because (wait for it . . . here it comes:) I have no idea.

187. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Eugene– exactly. Lombo and Kobernus are subs who normally would play outfield once in a while- not every day. But they are doing well considering what is being asked of them at this stage of their careers.

188. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

DP……amen, brother on Rendon/Harp back to back.I say that at least 10 times a day. I can't wait.

189. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

It's understandable to question Eck… I think most of us realize that everyone seems to be batting under their career norms/averages…But as I said before, not sure if Eck is the problem, but I don't think he is the answer…

190. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Right Swami. How many years of pitiful hitting do we go through before Eck gets the boot? And all you people that say it ain't his fault….I don't care. Make a change to make a change, cause right now Eck ain't working out.

191. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Here's my problem of the day, we have no good choices for backup outfielders here or nearly ready down on the farm which we have really needed this year. plenty of 2b and 1b backups….a little off balance makeup

192. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Morse is back on the DL.Wow — I feel bad for him.I wonder of some of the Rizzo haters will concede that LaRoche (who's batting .251 with 10 HR) over Morse (.251 with 11 HR, but last year of his contract) — and getting Ian Krol — was not a stupid move.

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sigh

194. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Wonk, I agree that there's been enough power behind Zim, so that's not an excuse, but I don't think Harper has hit behind him more than a few times, if at all.

195. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Sec222 outside of Desmond and morse who has he helped? Hey everyone works their butts off, even duke and HRod but this is a results oriented sport. Maybe des a great job but why do we have so many poor at bats? Dd you see he rocs payer shorten his swing and bloop a 2 strike hit? Not us, we swing from the heels no matter the situation. Is that Eck's fault? No idea but so done has to be accountable. As I watch Desi flail a strike 3…

196. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Idk though… Look at that inning with Desi K'ing as he was swinging for the fence instead of just trying to put the ball in play as opposed to the Rockies in the 3rd/4th inning, who were all about making contact…Is that on the hitting coach???

197. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Agreed, wouldn't hurt to change the hitting coach after the season..they've tried more radical changes like putting infielders in the outfield everyday… would make absolutely no or little difference to change him now but would maybe hurt

198. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Ian Krol and A.J. Cole have a chance to be special long after Michael Morse is retired in North Miami Beach.

199. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

In defense of Det. I think if you are a pitcher on this team and you give up an early run or two you pretty much know the game is over cause our hitters can't bust a grape.

200. A DC Wonk - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

BigCat said… Right Swami. How many years of pitiful hitting do we go through before Eck gets the boot? How many years of pitiful hitting have we had?Do you remember the awesome hitting team way back in, wait, when was that? Oh yeah: 2012? You know, the team that — despite a terrible April, and a number of injuries — finished 4th in BA, 2nd in HR

201. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I think they need a Morse type backup more than Krol…Good to have Krol, but that's not why they made the trade. I think he was a throwin.

202. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

And all you people that say it ain't his fault….I don't care. Make a change to make a change, cause right now Eck ain't working out.Wow. That's just absurd. Luckily in most workplaces, including hopefully yours, they don't fire people because the company isn't doing well and they just want to make a change to make a change, without any evidence that you are responsible for the problem. Managers might be subject to that kind of arbitrary firing, but they are responsible for the performance of the team, like CEOs of companies, but hitting coaches shouldn't be, especially when the manager says he's doing just fine.

203. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I was glad Morse was traded… I don't think any of envisioned the injuries happening the way they were or the timing as well…

204. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I am on record from the early Spring that Det would have the season that J Zim is having..I was clearly wrong…Nats only have 3 reliable starters. Det looked really pathetic todayThe Diamondbacks are a first place club…oh boy, will Nats be 2-4 under 500 perhaps after that series? that means there will only be 9 of 12 homes games remaining before the next road trip..so the 17 of 20 at home is dwindling down as is the season

205. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

True, NJ…you can trade Morse for AJ Cole, but you need to have a viable not a risky replacement outfielder.

206. karlkolchak - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM

jeffwx – you are quite right about there being no good OF options down on the farm. Corey Brown is rapidly playing himself off the 40-man roster, Eury Perez hasn't done anything during his call ups and even Brian Goodwin is having a "meh" year at AA. The Nats are stuck, and if Werth goes on the DL again they'll still have a huge hole out there even when Harper returns.

207. phil dunton - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

208. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Is that on the hitting coach? You're damn right it is! A crappy approach at the plate is what its called. And its gone on waaaay to long. Eck has to go!

209. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

the lack of hitting in Nats own ball park is just amazing…Harper being out is simply a lame excuse. verse a pitcher that is hittable

210. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

You don't have to envision them, you have to expect them…. It happens every year in the modern era (eg: post 1900) and Mrs B…since you are Bernadina's espoused spouse, I think you may be biased.

211. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM

phil dunton said…Nats Jack, Brett was a great hitter who never had a slump. I doubt he ever needed a tweak but plenty of lesser hitters do. They also need guidance. If a hitting coach has no impact on a team's offense, then why does every other team that has long standing offense problems fire their hitting coach as the very first move to turn things around? Are all those teams dumb while Johnson and Rizzo are just being smart by keeping a guy around who has never had any credentials to be a major league hitting coach?Go look at how successful those teams are. I guarantee you there's little difference in the performance of players before and after firing the hitting coach.

212. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I can not blame Eck for Bernadina just being a lame hitter and Desi's SO…Harper out had nothing to do with either…. let's not become delusional and blame the lack of talent and poor game decisions by Davey on that

213. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

214. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

"jeffwx said…I think losing your best hitter is not an excuse..Do you think they would hit better with a healthy harp"Yes.

215. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Maybe Eck is dehydrated more often then we are led to believe

216. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I do like Tracy's song played better by Old Crow Medicine Show

217. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Is that on the hitting coach? I don't know, but I doubt it. I'd prefer to place the blame on the players who are not playing well, rather than the coaches, managers, annoncers, or fans doing the wave.

218. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

219. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Besides Span, who in the lineup is playing worse than expected

220. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM

mick said…Nat are a simply a dysfunctional team this season, plain and simple. Very over rated in terms of talent. Bill Parcells was a prophet when he said "you are what your record says you are"That quote applies at the end of a season. Remember how awful the Blue Jays were? Everyone wrote them off. Everyone said their talent was overrated. They've won 11 straight. Almost everyone agrees this team has a ton of talent that is underperforming (everyone not on this site). Non-biased analysts. We're capable of going on a hot streak just like the Jays. You play 162 games for a reason.

221. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Well…. My main/major concern coming out this game is that Det needs to develop his 'other stuff' besides the fastball…

222. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Besides Span, no one. The team was not made for injury (except at 2b) for which we have a plethora of options.

223. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

What a great, quick inning for Krol.

224. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

so who comes up for Werth and Haren if they go for the DL ??

225. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

In 2013, Nats need to clean house with coaching staff, Eck Davey and Cat need to depart sooner than later, just to have some fresh faces. David…I really have my doubts now…if a team is solid, their back ups are also solid. Rendon has been the only pleasant surprise this season, the rest o the back ups are mediocre at best and Shark is just one of the worss MLB hitters in the league

226. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

If you look back at last year, our hitting was NOT great, especially in the first half. We had the same situational, swing for the fences crap. Our PITCHING was lights out and so it did not show up like it is now. Look back at last year, this time– similar hitting, but with the luck of all healthy pitchers. I am amazed we are where we are in the standings at all with the patchwork teams we are fielding. But our hitting had the same flaws last year. We also still have the catch- base- stealers flaw.

227. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Agree Mick

228. karlkolchak - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

mick – that dysfunction you refer to doesn't get mentioned often enough. Seems like nearly every day there are little signs of it. Harper and Davey not being on the same page about his rehab yesterday, Werth apparently forgetting there's a water cooler in the dugout today. Its been those sorts of things more than the poor play that has convinced me that they will not turn things around this year. Whatever magic struck this team last year quite obviously dissipated during the offseason.

229. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM

well, your usually not gonna win with 2 runs except of course with the great Ian Krol starting

230. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM

2 days in a row BP, does its job..ll

231. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Bright spot= Ian Krol!!!!!

232. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Uhm… Y'all do realize that we weren't really hitting like that last year until late June/July… But our SP was better, our BP (at the time was better). And our defense was better…Now our D is much better and our BP seems to be on and SP, well 3/5 are on fire…..

233. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Please nobody make reference to the score because I just got back from fly fishing and I am tivo'ing the game. I have a good feeling about Det going at home today, now that he has a start back under his belt. He did well against the Rockies before so he should dominate today!

234. mick - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

karlkolchakExcellent post, this team reminds of the Norv Turner team in 2000. Team was coming off a close playoff loss, every prognosticator picked Skins to win the East and go as far as the NFC Championship…what happen…team was not that good and every week you had different accounts by Norv than what players were saying…same here with Davey, this is why the season is probably finished as far as post season.I really believed after the 3 straight, the Nats were righting the ship, now I realize the ship is the SS Titanic

235. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

What do you think if you are Bernadina? You got a flea banjo hitter with a pop gun arm playing in front of you….permanentlyYou think you are lucky to have a major league job because you're an inconsistent hitter with a career OPS of .677 in nearly 1300 plate appearances and a flashy but not dependable fielder. And you play hard when you're in there and try to do your very best to help the team. And you appreciate the fact that despite being a 4th outfielder, you have a great homegrown nickname and the fans love you.

236. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

WODL, you don't have to read the score to know what;s going on…Don;t read the blog

237. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Dangit swami… I owe you a drink…

238. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Rendon is locked in…

239. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

And if Mick can make predictions, I predict Rendon will have a 44 game hitting streak in his career

240. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Another multi-hit game by Rendon. Soon enough Harper will be able to drive him in.

241. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

If you're sick enough, dehydration isn't a matter of "forgetting there's a water cooler." You can argue over whether he should've been allowed to play, but it's not like there was something he should've obviously been doing to prevent it.

242. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Mark, maybe you can shed some light for us… What exactly are Eck's duties? How much does he influence someone like, say, Suzuki?

243. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM

He's just a man and not a freak, Amazin Anthony Rendon…

244. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I tried to post this earlier but it vanished in cyber space.ML hitting coaches get fired as a mandate from the GM and ownership to send a message to the manager that "you're next".ML hitting coaches are usually close personal friends of the manager (just like Eck and Davey). Why else would a class act like Tino Martinez become the hitting coach for the Marlins?The last 3 ML hitting coaches to get canned where with the Angels, Dodgers, and Royals where each manager is on the hot seat.

245. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM

and you don't fire Davey Johnson this year.thanks NJ

246. Drew - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Rendon soon will deserve All-Star consideration.In 89 at bats he's hitting .337 with an .864 OPS.

247. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Mrs. B, hold off on the D-papers

248. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Why did Rendon go to 3rd on zim's long fly then score on Shark's hit?Is Eck running coach too?

249. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Bernadina has been much better lately… So I'm good with him off the bench…

250. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Glad Jewett held Rendon there. CarGo was too shallow, and the last thing they need is him getting hurt on a close play at the plate.

251. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

good idea, the lack of a running coach is the real issue with team…

252. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Bases are loaded.. And Marerro is on… This out 3…

253. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

As of now RISP NSTS 1 FOR 9 RISP. Rockies. 5 for 8

254. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Marrero is a joke.

255. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Youare a devoted spouse…through hitting streaks and slumps, bench and injury

256. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

257. SCNatsFan - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

You play minor leaguers you lose at this level

258. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

or first swinging to a guy with control problems

259. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Y'all really didnt expect anything differently, did you?I HATE FIRST PITCH SWINGING… Ugh…

260. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

First pitch- giant swing– aggressive– company policy..

261. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Because chancing a tag up when you are altready in scoring position would be like kicking a 52 yd field goal when you are down by 4 on a fourth and 3.

262. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The Ians have it

263. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Team averaging 34,000 fans a game. Gotta give them better than this.

264. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Swami, agreed. Need a level line drive swing there but better to take a pitch. That reliever was in trouble Let him off the hook.

265. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Holy crap Krol.

266. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Wow… Krol is a jewel… Seriously….

267. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

how do you give up on this kid ?we finally got something for Willingham from Oakland

268. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We just got a walk and we swing at first pitch and a cheap little pop up.Are Big Cat and I only one s who believe Eck firgot to remind hi after a walk dont swing at first pitch.I am sure he said nothing

269. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I just don't understand what Marerro was thinking… This reliever was on the hook… Didnt even think to make him work for the out… Just swung…Dumb.

270. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Would someone please offer one piece of explanation of why Dogmeat AAAA Marrero is on a major league roster?

271. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Before Swami…lombo 3-4…LFL..left fielder for life

272. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Dammit! I just got through inning two of the game on my Tivo. Thank goodness I skipped bobblehead day in the scorching sun. This one is over almost as early as yesterday.

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

K-rol has been lights out. Mark my words, Rizzo will want to convert him to a starter. No!

274. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

11 hits so far today. We're hitting the ball. We're not driving in runs. So yes, I absolutely think that getting Harper back will help with that.

275. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Naw Ghost… I don't think so… But speaking of pitching, what's going on with Garcia?Det needs to work on his non-fastball pitches…

276. EmDash - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Because Moore was also awful, and the right-hand power guy slot in the minors is pretty thin. Micah Owings is the only other alternative. He might get a shot one of these days too.

277. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

no excuses, agreed DP/

278. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Ghost….I actually think he will close a game or two before the season is over.

279. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Again… They load the bases… Lets see some good situational hitting here…We are hitting a whole lot better.. Just need to work on driving in runs…

280. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

must c tv

281. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

whoo….hoooooo,

282. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hahahaha…. Great job Ryan… See had Marerro/Desi scored at least 2 when they were at bat…. Well…. I dream….

283. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

great we have our cleanup hitter up

284. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I had no idea that Ike Davis hit 32 homers last year. Compared to his fall, Moore's is not quite as dramatic. Still, it is difficult for me to envision Moore ever being a competent major leaguer again. I hop that I am wrong.

285. Depot Master - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM

As much as I like Rick Eckstein and think he works hard and is a good guy (also a good community guy in helping with Nats camp), as a coach or manager you are measured in effectiveness. The Nats are not effective at this point and are having issues with approach. (look at zimm and the outside corner). Unless they make the same turnaround they did last year, anyone in his position should be held accountable and be removed. Conversely if they do turn it around, that is on him too.

286. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

WOW.

287. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Davey,,,,Manager of the Year.

288. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

OMFG…. I WAS CUSSING DAVEY OUT FOR PUTTING SOLANO IN THE GAME LOL….OMFG!!!!

289. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I will take first pitch swinging right there…. Omfg….

290. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Would you trade Stephen Strasburg for Matt Harvey?

291. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Desi did not have to swing…

292. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Well Krol kept em close, Jhonaton Solano with the amazing pinch hit…great game

293. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No. Matt Harvey hasn't been around long enough yet. Who knows how he turns out. Strasburg was just as dominant when he debuted, lest we forget.No matter what happens this game, I'm happy. We showed real fight. It's not easy to overcome a 7 run deficit.

294. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Very gutsy move by Davey, and it paid off. Wow. Too bad Desi couldn't come through, but that second pitch was well off the plate. One more chance, but it's the bottom of the order. Still, they fought back and scored six runs. I'm impressed with that.Does Eck get credit?

295. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If Jewett had been more aggressive in the 7th, this game might be tied.

296. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Ended up being an exciting game… What a hit for Solano… All I was thinking was another squibbler…

297. paul brandt - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

ump took the bat out of Ian's hand on that crap 2nd strike call.

298. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

So Lombo is out now? Not sure I am with that… He is 3/4 today….

299. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Yeah William, but that's too close of a play at the plate. CarGo leads the NL in outfield assists and it was hit right to him. We'd be cursing Jewett if Rendon was thrown out. He made the right decision that time.

300. waddu eye no - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No heart. Cant score late Heh hehGyfng

301. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

This blue's SZ has been dumb today…. It has certainly moved too…

302. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Re: Harvey versus Stars…..heck no. Harvey hasn't even had TJ yet.

303. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Well, well, well.

304. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Stras was close to this dominant, but I am not sure that he was quite this dominant. Of course, New York guys get more coverage and all. It is strange how Harvey has such a better record when the differences on the mound aren't that great, and the Nats are actually a better team, but it may be that the Mets field players are better than ours.

305. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

If hitting coaches could do jack$hit, then they would be more highly paid than managers. The constant carping about the hitting coach shows a distinct lack of having ever played baseball. You can either hit or you can't, and if you can't and your eyesight is fine, then you simply can't hit. There is next to nothing that a hitting coach can do.

306. Secret wasian man - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM

great job coming back. Umpire cost us on a terrible 2nd strike call on Desmond.

307. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

NatsJack, that is hilarious. Let the Mets eat a season and half of paying salary with no pitching and then go after him. Of course, MLB forbids paying young players more than a pittance anyway….

308. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Good job BP…. Y'all did your job today and yesterday…

309. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM

LaRoche (presumably instead of Marrero), Suzuki, Lombo in the 9th. not the most inspiring bunch.

310. paul brandt - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

SWM, see mine of 428pm, man, i'm thirsty.

311. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Even if we can't pull this one out, at least we have improved our expected results by 6 runs with reference to the Pythagorean Theorem.

312. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

So not LaRoche? Interesting. Hope he's healthy.

313. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Why is Marerro still in the game???? I'm not understanding that move at all….Waste of a bat…

314. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Lombo Lombo Man, I want to be a Lombo man

315. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Desmond needed to make contact last inning. He has had some big hits but the inability to make contact when he needs to, is not good.

316. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Oh well… It became an entertaining game, after all… Starting pitching, once again, was an issue…. But the Nats showed fight… We hit the ball well today but needed to capitalize on more RISP….

317. paul brandt - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

would have preferred a walk off win but a good comeback nonetheless…damn!

318. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

great game..would have liked to see ALR in there at some point.

319. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

13 hits, 6 runs, 5 walks. You can't expect to come back from 7-0, but we made it as close as we could. Good fight.

320. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No WODL…it shows they played amateur baseball where coaches are always in your ear. This the Major Leagues and they would be lost in almost all technical discussions.

321. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No homers. Way too many LOB. Jewett is way too passive at 3rd and may have cost us the game.

322. jeffwx - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

WODL…he made contact when he needed to in the 3 games wed-fri

323. David Proctor - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

William, Jewett could not send Rendon. Jewett deserves A LOT of criticism, but not there. Rendon would have been dead on arrival. CarGo has a great arm, it was hit shallow and right to him. He made the right decision. Rewatch the play if you must.

324. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Right back under .500. Harper fiddles while DC burns….

325. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yep….and if Rendon goes to third on Zim's fly to right center, he scores on Sharks hit. Then its 7-7 Every little thing counts

326. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

327. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM

The ball was deep right cnter and Fowler was planning to throw to 3rd.We dont score a run we should have. Lose by 1 Match

328. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Boy, Davey is virtually confirming that Haren has been HRodded. "Trouble getting loose."

329. Section 222 - Jun 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Fowler conceded the base with his pop fly lob throw into 2nd. Wonder what Bo Porter would say? Probably be chewin Rendon's ass.Fowler wasn't conceding the base with his throw — he saw that Rendon wasn't tagging. Zim's ball was hit pretty hard to the gap. Rendon would have had to get right back to the bag to tag. That's a tough read to make right off the bat because you want to be halfway so you can score if the ball drops in.

330. BigCat - Jun 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

The point Manassas is making is that Rendon should of tagged on the play and I agree. Fowlers momentom was going away from third. He would of never thrown him out. I say Fowler was conceding base….you say no. Bottom line is Rendon should of tagged. And you sometimes wonder how much this bunch of dead ass's miss the fiery Porter