Jun 23, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The Nationals will place starting pitcher Dan Haren on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury, manager Davey Johnson announced on Sunday.
Haren had experienced tightness in his shoulder during his previous two starts, having trouble getting his arm loosened up.
"I’m not really concerned about it, but they wanted me to take some time to get 100%," he said. "I definitely don’t want to use this as an excuse for the first three months of the season. That was more due to lack of execution, instead of an injury."
Johnson said it was a tough decision for he and general manager Mike Rizzo to make.
"He wasn’t particularly pleased to go on the disabled list, but he knew it was probably the best thing," Johnson said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight