Jun 23, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
The Nationals will place starting pitcher Dan Haren on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury, manager Davey Johnson announced on Sunday.
Haren had experienced tightness in his shoulder during his previous two starts, having trouble getting his arm loosened up.
"I’m not really concerned about it, but they wanted me to take some time to get 100%," he said. "I definitely don’t want to use this as an excuse for the first three months of the season. That was more due to lack of execution, instead of an injury."
Johnson said it was a tough decision for he and general manager Mike Rizzo to make.
"He wasn’t particularly pleased to go on the disabled list, but he knew it was probably the best thing," Johnson said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts
- How much will the Nationals run in 2014?