Jun 23, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The Nationals will place starting pitcher Dan Haren on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury, manager Davey Johnson announced on Sunday.
Haren had experienced tightness in his shoulder during his previous two starts, having trouble getting his arm loosened up.
"I’m not really concerned about it, but they wanted me to take some time to get 100%," he said. "I definitely don’t want to use this as an excuse for the first three months of the season. That was more due to lack of execution, instead of an injury."
Johnson said it was a tough decision for he and general manager Mike Rizzo to make.
"He wasn’t particularly pleased to go on the disabled list, but he knew it was probably the best thing," Johnson said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?