Jun 23, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
The Nationals will place starting pitcher Dan Haren on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury, manager Davey Johnson announced on Sunday.
Haren had experienced tightness in his shoulder during his previous two starts, having trouble getting his arm loosened up.
"I’m not really concerned about it, but they wanted me to take some time to get 100%," he said. "I definitely don’t want to use this as an excuse for the first three months of the season. That was more due to lack of execution, instead of an injury."
Johnson said it was a tough decision for he and general manager Mike Rizzo to make.
"He wasn’t particularly pleased to go on the disabled list, but he knew it was probably the best thing," Johnson said.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2