Jun 23, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: The Nats were beaten by the Rockies for the second time in as many days due to another unfortunate outing by their starting pitcher. A day after Dan Haren failed to get out of the fourth inning, Ross Detwiler suffered the same fate. Detwiler gave up a solo home run to Michael Cuddyer in the second inning and allowed three runs in each of the next two frames. He ended the day with seven earned runs overall in what was his worst start of the season. Just like Haren, he gave the Nats an early deficit that was too much to overcome. The Nats rallied to score six runs, but it was too little too late. They fell just short of the comeback.
Hitting highlight: The Nats nearly came back in the eighth inning with four runs in the frame. Steve Lombardozzi and Denard Span started things off with a pair of singles and Jeff Kobernus then walked to load the bases. A Ryan Zimmerman single and Jhonatan Solano double brought home four runners to make it a one run game. That one run, however, held up for the Rockies.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug