Jun 23, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: The Nats were beaten by the Rockies for the second time in as many days due to another unfortunate outing by their starting pitcher. A day after Dan Haren failed to get out of the fourth inning, Ross Detwiler suffered the same fate. Detwiler gave up a solo home run to Michael Cuddyer in the second inning and allowed three runs in each of the next two frames. He ended the day with seven earned runs overall in what was his worst start of the season. Just like Haren, he gave the Nats an early deficit that was too much to overcome. The Nats rallied to score six runs, but it was too little too late. They fell just short of the comeback.
Hitting highlight: The Nats nearly came back in the eighth inning with four runs in the frame. Steve Lombardozzi and Denard Span started things off with a pair of singles and Jeff Kobernus then walked to load the bases. A Ryan Zimmerman single and Jhonatan Solano double brought home four runners to make it a one run game. That one run, however, held up for the Rockies.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview