Jun 24, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
After two successful rounds of batting practice at Nationals Park the last two days, Bryce Harper will begin a rehab assignment with Class A Potomac tomorrow night.
Harper originally didn’t expect to be ready to appear in a game until Wednesday at the earliest but bumped up the schedule after another strong BP session today at the ballpark, according to a source familiar with the Nationals’ plan for the 20-year-old outfielder.
On the 15-day DL since late May with bursitis in his left knee, Harper has ramped up his baseball activities in recent days and put on a show during BP in front of fans Sunday morning. He returned to the park today for another hitting session in front of team personnel and emerged with no issues in his knee.
Harper plans to play three innings and start in left field tomorrow night for Potomac, then increase his workload each subsequent day. If all goes well, he could possibly come off the DL in time for some of this weekend’s series at the Mets. If he’s not quite ready by then, he’d almost certainly return for the Nationals’ homestand that begins June 30 against the Brewers.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury