Jun 24, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
After two successful rounds of batting practice at Nationals Park the last two days, Bryce Harper will begin a rehab assignment with Class A Potomac tomorrow night.
Harper originally didn’t expect to be ready to appear in a game until Wednesday at the earliest but bumped up the schedule after another strong BP session today at the ballpark, according to a source familiar with the Nationals’ plan for the 20-year-old outfielder.
On the 15-day DL since late May with bursitis in his left knee, Harper has ramped up his baseball activities in recent days and put on a show during BP in front of fans Sunday morning. He returned to the park today for another hitting session in front of team personnel and emerged with no issues in his knee.
Harper plans to play three innings and start in left field tomorrow night for Potomac, then increase his workload each subsequent day. If all goes well, he could possibly come off the DL in time for some of this weekend’s series at the Mets. If he’s not quite ready by then, he’d almost certainly return for the Nationals’ homestand that begins June 30 against the Brewers.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants