Jun 24, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Dan Haren's placement on the disabled list, while not a total shock, does leave the Nationals scrambling to find a replacement starter by the end of the week. That's a short-term problem. Long-term, they also need to figure out what exactly they intend to do with the final spot in their rotation.
Do they give Haren another shot once he's deemed healthy, or have they seen all they need to see out of him? Do they have a viable alternative in-house, whether a journeyman veteran like Ross Ohlendorf or a highly touted (though still really green) prospect like Nate Karns or Taylor Jordan? Or does Mike Rizzo need to go look outside the organization and make a bold deal for another starter before the July 31 trade deadline?
Before we get to the long-term question, let's quickly address the short-term one. The Nationals don't have to make an immediate decision, because they don't need a replacement starter until Saturday in New York at the earliest.
The easiest answer would seem to be handing the ball to Ohlendorf, who has been great in two appearances so far (one start, oneRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East