Jun 24, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Dan Haren's placement on the disabled list, while not a total shock, does leave the Nationals scrambling to find a replacement starter by the end of the week. That's a short-term problem. Long-term, they also need to figure out what exactly they intend to do with the final spot in their rotation.
Do they give Haren another shot once he's deemed healthy, or have they seen all they need to see out of him? Do they have a viable alternative in-house, whether a journeyman veteran like Ross Ohlendorf or a highly touted (though still really green) prospect like Nate Karns or Taylor Jordan? Or does Mike Rizzo need to go look outside the organization and make a bold deal for another starter before the July 31 trade deadline?
Before we get to the long-term question, let's quickly address the short-term one. The Nationals don't have to make an immediate decision, because they don't need a replacement starter until Saturday in New York at the earliest.
The easiest answer would seem to be handing the ball to Ohlendorf, who has been great in two appearances so far (one start, oneRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team