Jun 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Davey Johnson has felt all along that Ryan Zimmerman’s surgically repaired right shoulder wouldn’t be 100 percent healthy until sometime in midseason, so the Nationals manager wasn’t particularly surprised when his third baseman noted some discomfort in that shoulder last week.
“I said in the spring that with as hard as he’s been working with it, it was going to take him at least until the middle of June to where he’d get over the hump with his shoulder,” Johnson said. “I think we’re pretty close.”
Close, but not all the way there yet, so Zimmerman got a rare night off Tuesday to let the shoulder rest.
Johnson insisted Zimmerman would be available to pinch-hit in this game and that he’d be back in the lineup Wednesday. But after hearing the veteran slugger mention the discomfort a few days ago, Johnson decided to find a break in the schedule for him. Since the Nationals also had Monday off, Zimmerman is getting a full 48 hours to rest.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort
- Nats lineup goes silent in loss to Braves
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves