Jun 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Davey Johnson has felt all along that Ryan Zimmerman’s surgically repaired right shoulder wouldn’t be 100 percent healthy until sometime in midseason, so the Nationals manager wasn’t particularly surprised when his third baseman noted some discomfort in that shoulder last week.
“I said in the spring that with as hard as he’s been working with it, it was going to take him at least until the middle of June to where he’d get over the hump with his shoulder,” Johnson said. “I think we’re pretty close.”
Close, but not all the way there yet, so Zimmerman got a rare night off Tuesday to let the shoulder rest.
Johnson insisted Zimmerman would be available to pinch-hit in this game and that he’d be back in the lineup Wednesday. But after hearing the veteran slugger mention the discomfort a few days ago, Johnson decided to find a break in the schedule for him. Since the Nationals also had Monday off, Zimmerman is getting a full 48 hours to rest.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado