Jun 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Davey Johnson has felt all along that Ryan Zimmerman’s surgically repaired right shoulder wouldn’t be 100 percent healthy until sometime in midseason, so the Nationals manager wasn’t particularly surprised when his third baseman noted some discomfort in that shoulder last week.
“I said in the spring that with as hard as he’s been working with it, it was going to take him at least until the middle of June to where he’d get over the hump with his shoulder,” Johnson said. “I think we’re pretty close.”
Close, but not all the way there yet, so Zimmerman got a rare night off Tuesday to let the shoulder rest.
Johnson insisted Zimmerman would be available to pinch-hit in this game and that he’d be back in the lineup Wednesday. But after hearing the veteran slugger mention the discomfort a few days ago, Johnson decided to find a break in the schedule for him. Since the Nationals also had Monday off, Zimmerman is getting a full 48 hours to rest.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game