Jun 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Davey Johnson has felt all along that Ryan Zimmerman’s surgically repaired right shoulder wouldn’t be 100 percent healthy until sometime in midseason, so the Nationals manager wasn’t particularly surprised when his third baseman noted some discomfort in that shoulder last week.
“I said in the spring that with as hard as he’s been working with it, it was going to take him at least until the middle of June to where he’d get over the hump with his shoulder,” Johnson said. “I think we’re pretty close.”
Close, but not all the way there yet, so Zimmerman got a rare night off Tuesday to let the shoulder rest.
Johnson insisted Zimmerman would be available to pinch-hit in this game and that he’d be back in the lineup Wednesday. But after hearing the veteran slugger mention the discomfort a few days ago, Johnson decided to find a break in the schedule for him. Since the Nationals also had Monday off, Zimmerman is getting a full 48 hours to rest.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust