Jun 25, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
The Nationals' roster replacement for an injured Dan Haren won't be another pitcher, at least not yet. The club recalled outfielder/first baseman Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, giving manager Davey Johnson another bat for the start of this week's series against the Diamondbacks and perhaps some insurance in case Jayson Werth isn't ready to return from a groin injury.
Moore returns to D.C. after a 12-game stint with Syracuse, hitting .178 (8-for-45) with two doubles, two homers and eight RBI. Demoted earlier this month after a wretched start to his season — he hit .158 with two homers in 38 games — the 26-year-old hoped to get his swing back on track in the minors.
The Nationals probably would have preferred to keep Moore in Syracuse a bit longer, but they could suddenly find themselves needing another right-handed outfielder on their big-league roster after Werth had to depart Sunday's game with a tight groin.
Werth said he hoped the injury wasn't serious and that he might be able to return tonight, but the Nationals don't want this seemingly minor injury to turn into something far more damaging the wayRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann gets roughed up for 8 runs by Marlins
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him