Jun 25, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
The Nationals' roster replacement for an injured Dan Haren won't be another pitcher, at least not yet. The club recalled outfielder/first baseman Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, giving manager Davey Johnson another bat for the start of this week's series against the Diamondbacks and perhaps some insurance in case Jayson Werth isn't ready to return from a groin injury.
Moore returns to D.C. after a 12-game stint with Syracuse, hitting .178 (8-for-45) with two doubles, two homers and eight RBI. Demoted earlier this month after a wretched start to his season — he hit .158 with two homers in 38 games — the 26-year-old hoped to get his swing back on track in the minors.
The Nationals probably would have preferred to keep Moore in Syracuse a bit longer, but they could suddenly find themselves needing another right-handed outfielder on their big-league roster after Werth had to depart Sunday's game with a tight groin.
Werth said he hoped the injury wasn't serious and that he might be able to return tonight, but the Nationals don't want this seemingly minor injury to turn into something far more damaging the wayRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins