Moore recalled, Haren placed on DL

Jun 25, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

The Nationals' roster replacement for an injured Dan Haren won't be another pitcher, at least not yet. The club recalled outfielder/first baseman Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, giving manager Davey Johnson another bat for the start of this week's series against the Diamondbacks and perhaps some insurance in case Jayson Werth isn't ready to return from a groin injury.

Moore returns to D.C. after a 12-game stint with Syracuse, hitting .178 (8-for-45) with two doubles, two homers and eight RBI. Demoted earlier this month after a wretched start to his season — he hit .158 with two homers in 38 games — the 26-year-old hoped to get his swing back on track in the minors.

The Nationals probably would have preferred to keep Moore in Syracuse a bit longer, but they could suddenly find themselves needing another right-handed outfielder on their big-league roster after Werth had to depart Sunday's game with a tight groin.

Werth said he hoped the injury wasn't serious and that he might be able to return tonight, but the Nationals don't want this seemingly minor injury to turn into something far more damaging the wayRead more »

1. Doc - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

The best bat currently down in 'Cuse is Zach Walters.I presume that TyMo will have a short stay.Looks like a series of roster changes in the next week.

2. TexNat - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ugh. Rizzo needed to acquire a quality 4th outfielder a month ago. Werth getting another injury just confirms this need. He needs to act NOW.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Doc said… The best bat currently down in 'Cuse is Zach Walters.I usually agree with you but Zach is the hot bat and his game just won't translate well. Marrero was the best bat statisically in AAA when he was called up and he has 1 hit.Kobernus had 2 hits that got down the 3rd base line and he was heralded by some as a "professional hitter" at the time (laughable).I warned P**** that the element of surprise before the league has a book on these guys is the only thing they have going for them and his list of Kobernus, Hague, Walters is a list of players that need much more time before they are MLB ready. Kobernus at least has speed. Walters is a slightly better 2013 version of Danny Espinosa but has no glove and needs a permanent position change to 3B, 2B or LF.The Nats farm is so devoid of quality bats that it's a problem. The only bats they have developed on the farm comes from the guys who we knew were natural hitters such as RZim, Harper and Rendon. Desi is probably the only exception to that group and that credit goes to Davey. Look at all the outfielders that have been stuck in Single-A. The Centerfielder of the future is still struggling at Double-A batting in the .250's.

4. SCNatsFan - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I wonder if Haren knows yet it is his shoulder that is hurt

5. nats guy - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

So I gained a measure of respect for Haren thru all this… As he never made excuses and even when they asked him about the DL, he said he wasnt gonna let the shoulder issue be a cop out… One just has to perform better…

7. Drew - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ghost:I don't think the farm system is devoid of quality bats. The problem is that they're not big-league ready.I think several of these bats will be valuable contributors in time — Goodwin and Skole in particular.Brandon Miller could grow up to be a Josh Willingham type and Tony Renda is hitting .295 with 26 doubles in 72 games. They show promise, but Hagerstown is a long way from Nats Town.

8. jeffwx - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

so we have Marrero and Moore on the roster…I guess he's the best bat with experience for replacing Werth….Look forward to a Lombo/Kobernus/Moore OF, he said kiddingly.

9. NatsLady - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

The D-Backs and Mets have plenty of injuries. Aaron Hill is a key player returning for Arizona. I tried to do an impact analysis of the injuries on the Nats, who has played too much, who has played too little (based on the original starters–except Espinosa. For Danny I assumed he was demoted for performance more than injury).

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Drew, you are right, I should have prefaced it as devoid of MLB quality hitters right now.Goodwin wants to be a leadoff hitter with power and I don't know if he thinks he can be a 20 HR guy or the coaches are telling him that. Worthless fly ball outs by the bunches. He has to get on top of the balls for line drives and beat out grounders pounded into the dirt. It's the same strategy with Denard Span. Goodwin needs to remember his role is a contact leadoff high OBP guy.Skole is an interesting player but he's out for the year.

11. NatsLady - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Now my hands are tired from so much typing!!! I've read all comments, but no strength to reply!! Go NATS!!!Injuries and statshttp://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/2013/06/injury-daze-after-12-weeks_25.html

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Goodwin last year had a slugging % in Low-A Hagerstown of .542. He's dropped to .390 this year in Double-A Harrisburg. Double-A pitchers aren't going to be throwing him as many meatballs.On the basepaths Goodwin is a mess. 13 steal and 8 caught stealing. That's awful. Another one with get on base and stay on base.Cut down on the flyball outs and learn how to run the bases.

13. Drew - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Goodwin needs more seasoning.As Judge Judy tells the 18-year-olds in her courtroom: "You're not cooked yet!"

14. A DC Wonk - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

mick said… also the boys on MASN kinda blasted the Nats for already labeling Lombo a a utility player…give the kid enough at bats…he hot 300 in the minors, his glove is soild. I agree that both Rizzo and Davey are just obtuse in their thinkingI gotta say: I have no idea what this means. Lombo *is* playing a lot. He has more plate appearances than anyone on the team, other than Span, ALR, RZim, Desi, and Suzuki. How much more do they want?And I'll add, his .234 BA ain't great, particulaly combined with .247 OBA. For guys with 20 games or more played, only Chad Tracy has fewer walks than he does.I'm not saying Lombo is awful — I love how he can usually control a bat well (getting key bunts and sac flies) — but for a guy who's hitting is as anemic as his, having the sixth most PA's on the team is completely reasonable.How in the world is Rizzo/Davey being obtuse about this?

15. NCNatsie - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Overheard at the othopedic clinic:MRI TECH: No, Mr. Haren, it says here it's the other shoulder.HAREN: Oh.

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Goodwin needs more seasoning. As Judge Judy tells the 18-year-olds in her courtroom: "You're not cooked yet!"Which is not the same as half-baked, I assume.Ghost, just curious on how you think it came to be that way–did they draft, but trade away, good bats, or did they draft duds, or did they just choose not to focus on that the past five or six drafts? We all know they moved most of the real talent up to the big club faster than they might have done in a perfect world.

17. Just wonderin' - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If Lombo isn't a utility player, what is he?

18. Doc - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Good post, good analysis Ghost.Agree on Marerro. Just thought, even with the holes in his swing that Walters could bring some spark to a PH role. As for fielding, he's a Desi in the making, with lots of reps necessary–probably get one of the many Nats' infield coaches to work with him till his glove wears out. Like Desi, the talent is there.They're working Walters at 3B. Probably should get him going in the OF. I agree there is not much to pick from, and Walters came out of Arizona's organization.

19. JaneB - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

First thing when I saw Tyler was recalled was that we won't be getting good news on Werth.I, too, have huge respect for Dan Haren. Just enormous.

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Ok TyMo do the job.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Agteef

22. Tcostant - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I wish we could have called up someone hitting over .200 at Triple A.

23. A DC Wonk - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Just wonderin' said… If Lombo isn't a utility player, what is he?Yeah — that's a better, easier, attack on the ESPN piece.Or, to simplify further:Who would you rather have at 3b — Lombo or RZim?Who would you rather have at SS — Lombo or Desi?Who would you rather have at 2b — Lombo or Rendon?If you answered RZim, Desi, and Rendon — then what exactly is the complaint?

24. NatsLady - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Here is my thought about Lombo. Agreed he is a "utility" player, and agreed he doesn't have the talent of the afore-mentioned Zim, Desi, or Rendon. But he can improve, and he will improve, with hard work and playing time. I have students like Lombo–they are a pleasure to teach because you see what they do with their more limited skills. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's not hopeless, either.

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I dont see what or why there is an issue with calling Lombo a utility player… I mean he is one…

26. A DC Wonk - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Ghost, just curious on how you think it came to be that way–did they draft, but trade away, good bats, or did they draft duds, or did they just choose not to focus on that the past five or six drafts? We all know they moved most of the real talent up to the big club faster than they might have done in a perfect world.I'm not Ghost, but your last sentence strikes me as likely — in combination with the fact that MLB eviscerated the farm system when they owned the team.A lot of the "best and brightest" of what we had is already at MLB — which is why we have one of the youngest teams. Came through the draft/farm system: RZim, Storen, JZimmerman, Rendon, Stammen, Marrero, Detwiler, Espinosa, TyMo, Lombo, Stras, Kobernus, Nate Karns, Harper . . . That's sort of a lot on the 25-man, or am I mistaken?And a number of prospects (that may or may not pan out) that just aren't ready yet: Goodwin, Giolito, Purke, Solis, Skole, Zach Walters, Christian Garcia, Taylor Jordan, Sandy Leon.(And, a number traded away for Gio: A.J. Cole Tommy Milone, Derek Norris and Brad Peacock.)I think, as I look through the names, that also there's been a bit more emphasis on pitching than other areas, and I think that's appropriate. You need both, of course, but pitching can carry you a long way.

27. Scooter - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…AgteefBoy, you can say that again. Agteef, indeed, my friend.

28. Tcostant - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

At this point I'd rather they had called up Micah Owings; I know is last 10 games look like a slump but a callup might have got him going. Overall he has been okay and worth a try.

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Sure wish fingers were not fat and eyes were clear so I would ser extra letters.

30. natsfan1a - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

That's okay, Manassas. We could figure out what you meant, anyway.

31. Scooter - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

32. JD - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Tcostant, Owings has not been OK. When you have an OBP of .299 in AAA you shouldn't expect much in the big leagues. At least with Moore we know that he's hit major league pitching in the past so it's not completely crazy that he'l hit again. I prefer Moore to Marrero although that's not much of a choice.

33. JD - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You'd think we could pick up someone like Marlon Byrd for a song. At least he's a proven major league hitter.

34. natsfan1a - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Me, too. Luckily, I give myself plenty of material. [rim shot]Scooter said… I should have clarified that my intention was not to mock. I just enjoy fun typos. Including my own. June 25, 2013 1:55 PM

35. JD - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

When Harper returns someone has to go down (Marrero?) if Ohlendorf goes on Saturday the roster can remain the same but if we are bringing up Jordan then someone else needs to go down. A worrisome tidbit about Jordan's performance last nigh: 8 hits in 5 innings. It looks like the BABIP gods were kind to him and he only gave up 1 walk but it's not really a line which will generally translate well to the big leagues.

36. mick - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I think most fans would be OK, I know I would if the management simply said, look, we have been hit with key injuries early and they are lingering, we will only play guys that are 100% and if it means not winning this year, that is what we will do and we clean house with our medical staff, trainer and conditioning coaches as we know they have not served our players well. Clearly, they have been failures in my view. The Nats medical staff and trainers may be one of the worst in MLB. that in my view may be the biggest change that the Nats need to make in 2014. Harper, Werth, Zim, Stras and Det should not be getting injured every other week

37. DaveBinMD - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Sec 3 asked: "just curious on how you think it came to be that way–did they draft, but trade away, good bats, or did they draft duds, or did they just choose not to focus on that the past five or six drafts?"They've said as an organization, and I can still hear Bowden saying it, that they were goign to focus primarily on pitching in the draft. They've still preached that under Rizzo, and for the most part, they've done that. Hindsight being 20/20, the one spot where that philosophy really hurt them was taking Drew Storen while Mike Trout was still on the board. Granted, a lot of GMs no doubt wish they had that first round to do over again because of Trout, but two teams, the Angels and the Yankees had Trout rated #2 in that draft, right behind Strasburg, apparently no other teams really scouted him, in part because Trout's area of NJ wasn't a hotbed for baeball talent. I'd love to know where Rizzo and his staff had him rated.

38. Eric - Jun 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Moore? Oy.

39. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Don't overlook Souza in AA, and Taylor and Burns in single A. Souza has had a breakout year. He is a 5-tool kid, and when they moved him to AA just this year, he broke out, unlike Goodwin, who is still trying to figure out AA ball a year later. If Souza keeps it up, we may see him in AAA by year's end, before Goodwin. He has the speed to play CF, the arm to play RF, and the power to be a heart of the order bat.Taylor and Burns have quicksilver speed and play good D. There are both a year, or two, or three, away. Neither has any power, and probably never will. But if they can keep getting on base and moving up, on their own, they will play at higher levels than they are now. They both have a long way to go, but don't count them out.The cupboards kinda skimpy down there, but not completely bare. Ward has had a good start, too, which is encouraging. Rizzo has a number of good, young, quality arms, as well. As they mature, one, or two, could be dealt for another bat – or could replace Detwiler in the rotation if Rizzo decides he can part with Ross. They have Ray, Solis and Purke as possible LH starters of the future. I'd like to see them give Krol a shot at starting, too. The kid is a beast at 22. Reminds me a little of a LH version of Bulldog Jordan Zimmermann.

40. Secret wasian man - Jun 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Tyler More?? Just what this team needs right now. Another automatic out.