Jun 26, 2013, 4:54 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Davey Johnson took his customary seat in the interview room at Nationals Park Tuesday night and let out a sigh.
“It’s never easy,” the 70-year-old manager said, “is it?”
Well, no. The Nationals’ 7-5 victory over the Diamondbacks should never have been that close, with the tying run standing on first base in the ninth inning and the home club coming this close to blowing an early 6-run lead.
But ignore, for a moment, the near-collapse late and focus instead of the events of the game’s first five innings, in particular the bottom of the third, when a typically moribund Nationals lineup exploded for five runs to match its most-productive offensive frame of the season. Denard Span singled to drive in a run. Jayson Werth singled to drive in a run. And Adam LaRoche produced the biggest blast: a three-run homer to complete the huge inning.
That sudden burst of lumber allowed the Nationals to open up a big lead and allowed this admittedly tight ballclub to play loose for a change, knowing the game wasn’t going to completely turn around on one swing.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge