Game 77: Diamondbacks at Nats

Jun 26, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

It's another steamy, potentially stormy afternoon in the District, where the Nationals and Diamondbacks continue their series with another strong pitching matchup. Jordan Zimmermann gets the ball for the Nats, looking to become the NL's first 11-game winner this season. Left-hander Wade Miley, last year's NL Rookie of the Year runner-up to Bryce Harper, starts for the Diamondbacks.

Ryan Zimmerman, meanwhile, is expected back in the Nationals' lineup after he sat last night to let his right shoulder rest. Zim did come off the bench to pinch-hit, but it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say about that shoulder and whether this is still a lingering concern long-term or not.

Jayson Werth also is expected to play, though he'll probably be hampered in the field once again. Werth clearly wasn't running at full speed last night, and he acknowledged afterward he may have to just deal with this groin strain for a little while.

Updates to come, so please check back…

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, wind 6 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Moore in LF….sigh. Between Moore in LF and Werth's hobbled legs in RF, Span is going to have to cover a lot of ground.

2. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Completely off topic but how do you not know you have a psychopath on your roster, let alone agree to pay him $40MM?

3. JD - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM

4. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Here is to hoping J Zimmermann has got the stuff to hold down the D-backs bats and we can get this series win!Nats – 4D-backs – 3Lets Go Nats!

5. JD - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Mrs. B I am a lot less impressed by the DBacks lineup than you. They got a lot of hits yesterday but I was astonished to see how many of their players have OBP under .300. Prado and Montero are having bad years, Bloomquist and Cody Ross are so so players. Only Goldschmidt and Parra are having really good years ( And Gregorius who didn't play yetsterday).

6. JD - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Actually they are playing Kubel and Gregorius instead of Ross and Bloomquist today so that lineup is a bit better. I think they are ok, not quite murderers row.

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Oh yeah, the Dback impress me… its their style of play… I try not to pay too much attention to certain stats becuz as we all know, its any given night…But even yesterday, granted Gio at times was philty, they were able to string along a nice couple of hits together.. They get up there and swing the bat…But the real matchup will come (for me at least) with our batters against their lefty, as we seem to have issues against lefty pitchers…But I still think we win tonight… or maybe that is my homer-ism! *snickers*

8. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

This whole A Hernandez news is something else…

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

JD said… If Werth aggravates his injury and has to go on the DL this will have proven to be an irresponsible move. I hope the Nats have medical clearance which says the injury can't get worse. Somehow I doubt it.I totally agree with you. A healthy Werth is better than a 80% Werth. Corey Brown could have been called up instead of TyMo for now because late innings you need to pull Werth for defense. Last night Bernadina was in the game and it almost cost the Nats in the 9th as Werth couldn't get to that liner quick enough.

10. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Byron Kerr ‏@masnKerr 48sDavey says Ramos is real close …Hoping to see Ramos by July 4. Wants him back esp for his powerThat's great news. Also, we actually have a good record against lefties. Just not good stats.

11. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

JD, as is clear from the last thread, I'm with you on Werth. And I'm also worried about his defense as he tries desperately not to aggravate his injury. It will be interesting to see if he seems better tonight, or worse.Last night, we noticed Gio chit-chatting with people in the stands while he was on deck, and I recalled Carlos Gonzales getting nailed by a foul ball when the Nats were in Colorado and was a little worried. Turns out it was none other than Mark Lerner down there distracting the guy he is paying tens of millions of dollars over the next several years. Keep your head in the game Gio!

12. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Werth said he's had this injury before and has been able to play through it. So I assume that means it's not at risk of getting worse.But he also said that it's something that will probably linger for a while. He wasn't COMPLETELY useless in the field yesterday, he did make a nice running grab near foul territory before getting to the wall.

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Glad to see Ryan Zimmerman back in the lineup. I have to admit I was very skeptical of the "we will see" with Ryan's health. It's just a cold dose of reality that he just can't stay healthy for a full season in recent history.The team needs a healthy Ryan Zimmerman.

14. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Chase Hughes ‏@chasehughesCSN 8sDavey said Christian Garcia is 4-5 outings from being ready for majors, Wilson Ramos could return before July 4th. #Nats #NationalsTalkSo who goes down for Garcia? And then for Mattheus?I can't imagine Krol going down. Abad either. Ohlendorf? He can't be optioned. It's a good problem to have, but I'm not sure who you get rid of.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM

David Proctor, like you said, good problem to have. There can be your trade bait. The relievers went from under-achievers to a strength.

16. Eric - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Agreed re: Werth and Zim. Glad to see Werth playing a crucial role yesterday, and glad to see both him and Zim in the line up today.Last week at JZim's outing against the Rockies, my dad and I sat next to a couple who just hated Werth. I don't understand that. While he may not be the biggest producer on the team, imo he is absolutely central to any success it experiences. But, it takes all kinds!

17. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Werth said he's had this injury before and has been able to play through it. So I assume that means it's not at risk of getting worse.Wow, you are really a glass half full guy aren't you? That assumption sounds pretty suspect to me. But I hope you're right, or that he, and the team, keep dodging bullets.I've been assuming that the shoulder that's bothering Zim is his throwing shoulder, the one that he had surgery on. Anyone see actual confirmation of that?

18. phil dunton - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

How is Tyler Moore going to help the offense? He hit .158 for the Nats. They sent him to the minors to work out his problems and he hit .178 at Syracuse.

19. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

222 @ 4:32 p.m.,From what I've seen on MLB.tv and a bit in person, Gio Gonzalez chatting with folks in the stands while awaiting his at-bat isn't an issue of fans distracting him, but rather of him actively seeking out folks with whom to engage. That's his personality. Athough I agree fully that he needs to be careful of foul balls.

20. NatsLady - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

How is the weather and the field in Potomac?

21. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Eric, could it be Werth's facial hair? I'm always amazed at how many people seem to care deeply about that. Eugene, I'm sure you're right. Gio's just a happy go lucky guy. But I think if I had a $45 million investment with a guy on a baseball field, I'd tell him to turn around and pay attention!

22. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Someone tweeted that Gio was telling Lerner to install an A/C vent behind the mound because it was too damn hot, haha.

23. natsfan1a - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Livo used to chat with folks from the on-deck circle all the time.On a game note, here's hoping for another good start from JZ, some timely hitting from the Nats, and, yeah, another curly w in the books.

24. JaneB - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I'd be playing Betnie instead of Tyler, if only for the better defense. But I hope Davey is smarter than mr.Odd that nobody's heard from The Kid about how his knee is. Theo, what psychopath is getting paid $40 million?

25. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

NatsLady- I live near the stadium and have no rain so far– ground is totally dry. Last storm went south of here to Fredericksburg.

26. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

JaneB- friend at the stadium tells me Bryce is on the posted lineup card.

27. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Aaron Hernandez, JaneB. Tight end for the Patriots. Just got charged with first degree murder (among other things).

28. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hitting second.

29. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

So we get to see Mr. Gregorius tonight (of the Trevor Bauer trade).

30. Secret wasian man - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Oh cmon with Tyler more. Another auto out

31. Eric - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

"Eric, could it be Werth's facial hair? I'm always amazed at how many people seem to care deeply about that. "They said it's because he's lackadaisical and never does anything very useful…

32. Doc - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

In a professional answer to your question, Theo, sports teams are less interested in personality variables. Although sports psychology may be making some inroads there.I once heard that the Indy Colts would do a complete psychological profile on prospective draft choices. Not sure how true that is, given that player agents would not likely go along with such procedures.Even if a team found out that a player had such anti-social tendecies, they would probably still be more interested in his physical skills. Elija Dukes comes to mind. Aaron Hernandez is not alone with such diagnoses, at $40mm or 40 bucks.Personally, I would want to know a lot about a player's emotional status for $40mm. Not saying I wouldn't sign him, but I would want to know. There is a lot of psychopathology out there; and it's not just in professional sports.

33. Eric - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Also, 222, this is pulled from the article posted here yesterday about Zim' sore shoulder:"Davey Johnson has felt all along that Ryan Zimmerman's surgically repaired right shoulder wouldn't be 100 percent healthy until sometime in midseason, so the Nationals manager wasn't particularly surprised when his third baseman noted some discomfort in that shoulder last week."

34. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Unless, of course, you don't believe in evolution. In which case, you only have to go back to the New York Knickerbockers of 1845 or so.

35. Timothy Folk - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Lets Go!!

36. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Theo, who are you talking about? not even A-rod makes $40MM

37. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

38. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Eric, "felt all along" is a bit of a stretch. Back when Zim was throwing the ball away every other game, Davey said he thought it would take until the beginning of June for Zim's arm to be back to normal. Thankfully we haven't seen many errors recently, but to claim now that he expected it to actually be hurting at the end of June is a serious rewrite of history.

39. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I don't think it's a leap to say he expected it. It depends on the level of soreness-it doesn't seem to be bad. Ryan was showing up at the park at 10am every day to practice his throwing. Over 70+ games that's going to tire out your arm.Obviously if the soreness persists and turns into something bigger, it's a cause for concern. But for some slight soreness? Meh.

40. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM

DP, being "not worried about it" are Davey's favorite famous last words. This team's injury history is replete with guys who ended up on the DL after Davey wasn't worried about them.

41. JD - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM

David, It was enough to keep him out of the lineup while a very gimpy Werth played. I am not convinced that it's slight soreness.

42. JD - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM

he's playing tonight so we'll see.

43. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Well Davey said it was a scheduled day off to piggyback with the off day. Of course what Davey says and what's really going on are often two completely different things. But it's plausible. I guess we'll see, like you said.

44. Eric - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

222, I only posted that quote because you asked for confirmation that Zim's throwing shoulder is the shoulder that was sore yesterday. The quote I pulled essentially confirms it.

45. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

We have heard through the grapevine that Zim has been coming in early trying to make his throwing right. Sounds like maybe he has overdone it with a rehabbing shoulder and needs to give it a break. You can over practice and overtrain.

46. Ron In Reston - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Section 222 said….This team's injury history is replete with guys who ended up on the DL after Davey wasn't worried about them. ——————————————As is basically every team in baseball, just replace "Davey" with "Charlie" or "Fredi" or "Don" or "Terry", etc.

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

David Proctor said… Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 1mAsked what #nats might be looking for before trade deadline, Rizzo said "a big LH bat, name's Harper… big right-handed bat, name's Ramos."Lol…I have to agree with Rizzo and I like how he said it. The main thing the Nats need is good health and a turn of good luck. The Nats have cutdown on the strikeouts and getting the BABIP to work in their favor which has been creating their own luck. It was so nice to see the Nats exploit a struggling pitcher last night and it's time to do it again and again for the next 4 months!

48. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Watching Syracuse/Scranton game. Danny Espinosa, clean shaven, is 0-2 with 2 more K's.

49. nats guy - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Gio was talking to none other than Billy Kilmer who was a guet of the Lerners last night.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

NatsJack- every time I see a stat about Espi not doing too well, it just is further confirmation that he needs to get the surgery done….

51. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

NatsJack– I really hope he is just rebuilding his swing. There is no such thing as a designated fielder. Hate to watch that defense go to waste. Still at SS?

52. nats guy - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

David,Noy to be pessimistic, but RZIM has minimized serious injuries for his entire career. Did it last year in April and May. Only when he got cortisone did he start to play OK.

53. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

But if the way he plays is the indicator- he seems to be playing well, so he is ok?

54. A DC Wonk - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

JD said… If Werth aggravates his injury and has to go on the DL this will have proven to be an irresponsible move. I hope the Nats have medical clearance which says the injury can't get worse. Somehow I doubt it.I, unfortunately, have more experience with groin strains than I'd prefer."Groin strain" covers all kind of injuries. One of those injuries is "athletic pubalgia", (which is also a name for a number of closely related injuries).What some of those injuries share in common is that there is a small tear in the adductor *tendon*, which then causes irritation, tightness, etc. in the adductor muscle.The key thing, however, is that it is not actually a muscle injury — rather, it's an injury to the tendon at the muscle insertion point. Why is that important?Because with a muscle injury (say, a hamstring), you need to rest the muscle.For the tendon injury, it's ok to work the muscle (although it can hurt like h3ll), and generally speaking, only high impact stuff (umm, perhaps sliding into a base? Going full bore on a sprint? I have no idea) will further injure the tendon.I'm not a doctor. I don't know what Werth has. But I speak from experience about this particular injury. *IF* Werth has what I have, it's just going to be painful for a long time (perhaps all season), but it's possible to play (avoiding the high impact stuff) and not make the injury worse.

55. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM

My only concern with RZim is I feel like he's had trouble catching up with the fastball. Now that just may how it feels and not actually backed up by data. Just eye test. I feel like many of his hits are coming against offspeed. Not sure if that could be shoulder related or not, if that's even the case.

56. sjm308 - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Anyone in 312 picnic area – I am listening to a decent cover band at the scoreboard

57. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

So it looks like next week, barring any more injuries (knock on wood), we'll have a lineup of Span, Rendon, Harper, Zimmerman, LaRoche, Werth, Desmond, Ramos, Pitcher. Maybe not in that order, but regardless. Our full lineup.

58. sjm308 - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Damn Wonk – I have a masters in physiology & just learned a new word. Pubalgia!! Go Nats!!

59. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Danny pops our to short in his 3rd at bat.His average is closing in on .100.

60. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Harper now the DH– hmmmmmm.

61. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Likely because of the impending rain, swami.

62. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

thought Harper was supposed to go 6 innings in the field too?! hope it's the rain and not the knee.

63. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Dan Hellie just reported he is playing 6 innings tonight, so something recently changed if he is just the DH.

64. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 1mSounds like Bryce Harper was originally down to play left & hit second at Potomac tonight. But, b/c of potential for wet field, he's at DH.

65. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Apparently it is the dampness- still dry at my house maybe 5 miles away. Just being careful.

66. d'grviii 8 - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Billy Kilmer and Bruce Boudreau were both in the stands last night. They showed them on the big screen. Before they showed Kilmer they showed slides highlighting his career. I thought maybe he had died.

67. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

then why not do the same with Werth? he is clearly not even 85% but agree that is better than the alternatives…really don't want him to get injured again.

68. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Paul- I hold my breath every single time Werth runs or fields a ball.

69. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Davey said the plan is for him to go 9 innings tomorrow, then play one more game. I wonder if they add a game since Bryce isn't playing in the field.

70. A DC Wonk - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

sjm308 said… Damn Wonk – I have a masters in physiology & just learned a new word. Pubalgia!! Cool. Well, since you have a masters, let me tell you exactly what I happen to have right now:I have adductor (longus) tendinopathy and rectus abdominis (the "sixpack abs" muscle) tendinopathy.Often, when there is a weak transverse abdominis (the barrel shaped muscle that goes around your gut), it puts a lot of pressure on the rectus abdominis (the abs). That, in turn, can cause an imbalance with the adductor longus. Over time, tears can develop in the tendons where they attach to the pubic symphysis region.I understand that hockey players get this all the time.So — there it is.(I can't say I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night… but I can say that I spent a good hour with my doctor this morning going over this stuff).So, for two months I thought I had (and was getting treated for) an adductor strain. The doctor today (using ultrasound to check things) said: no, that's not what you have, you have "atheltic pubalgia", and explained all the above.

71. d'grviii 8 - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hellie's playing six innings tonight and Jim Vance just threw out the first pitch. Channel 4 has got it going on.

72. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

and weather tomorrow looks worse, 60% chance of afternoon/evening t-storms.

73. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Faraz — Just to round out the subject, $40MM was the total amount of Hernandez's contract. Recognize that in the NFL not all of a contract is guaranteed. But it looks like someone will get stuck for close to half of it.

74. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

75. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

RZim with one of the best plays of the season for him with the glove. Great to see him dive and grab and make a great throw.

76. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Quite an AB by Hill here. Jeez.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Ok… Gotta give cwcid… that was a great at bat by A Hill….

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

unh….

79. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Goldschmidt is a rock star of a hitter, he hit a good pitch.

80. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

David Proctor said… Quite an AB by Hill here. Jeez. June 26, 2013 7:11 PM _____________________________Suzuki couldn't handle that foul tip in a 2 strike count in the middle of that at-bat on Hill which turns into a huge play.

81. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

no FP, the game plan is to hit it to Werth!!

82. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Werth's un-nimbleness out there cost the Nats for Run #2.

83. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

That's probably another play a healthy Werth makes.

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

The D-backs swing the bat away…

85. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

What the heck?????????? Stop it!!!!!!

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Jordan almost at 30 pitches already… Werth looks gimpy…

87. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

0 -2 counts that go awry.

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Come on Nats Bats… Lets do what they did, but better…

89. Brother Juniper - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

What do you all think is up with Tyler Moore this year? He lead the Nats in HR frequency last season.

90. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

91. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It's hard to believe Rendon will ever have an 0-fer. I know he's had them and he'll have many more, but jeez.

92. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Rendon is good….

93. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

wow, Miley Cyrus wastes no time, huh?way to go Zim!

94. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Have to love that Rendon & RZ!

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Good job Zimmy!

96. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

97. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I hope Jayson has a better at bat next time…

98. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Eugene in Oregon said… Gonat @ 7:07 – But I though Ryan Zimmerman was washed up and sure to be traded? At least that's what some folks here — not you — have been saying.________________________________They were ready to put him out to pasture yesterday.

99. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I think that was Fridge sitting with Boudreau.

100. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Miley has a good sinking fastball. Almost looks like a cutter, does he throw a cutter? Zimmerman killed his slider, he should throw more of those.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Ahh…The Shift – 1Adam LaRoche – 0Next time Adam… Next time…

102. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

That's more like it, JZimm.

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Good inning JZ!

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Im hoping Zook gets on base so we can at least get the pitcher up there and we can turn the order over…Sigh Desi….

105. Knoxville Nat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM

To answer Davey's question as restated by Mark, "who bats second Werth or Rendon?"……..I say go with Rendon. The kid is hot in this spot, Werth is the veteran and should easily transition into a 5 or 6 hitter.

106. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Bryce Harper home run in Potomac.

107. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Knoxville, would like to see Werth #1 if/when 100% healthy, worked wonders last year then move Span down to #7, you need a lead-off hitter to get on base and Span's not doing it.

108. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Nice Harp! Timing sounds good! Crowd must have gone nuts!

109. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM

DP, call him up!

110. Knoxville Nat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Paul, I get what you are saying but do you want Werth at leadoff with his groin injury?

111. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Span needs that front elbow body armour as he could have done a Utley and taken a freebie HBP on that 1st pitch.Utley would do that all the time lefty/lefty.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Span is pulling everything to the right…

113. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM

My god Rendon.

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Rendon is locked in…

115. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Span's first out was a deep fly ball to left, Mrs B. I think he's trying to go the other way but isn't very good at it.

116. paul brandt - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Knoxville, NO! like I said not until 100% healthy but Davey doesn't take my calls…haha. Span just does not get on base the way he has in prior years. Can Span turn it around? Hope so but so far, he has been poor in terms of getting on base for a lead-off guy…man, Rendon is un-real.

117. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Just saw this on mlb.com——That was pitch number 45 for Wade Miley; his effectiveness may start slipping, as he holds opposing hitters to a .190 average in the first 45 pitches but they hit .394 off him after that.

118. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Rendon with that gap power. Nice!

119. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Thanks DP – Im at work… so i am watching via mlb.com

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Good battle by Ryan!

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

And then after Ryan walks… jayson swings at the first pitch…sigh…

122. David Proctor - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It was a pretty good swing, Gregorious just made a really good play.

123. Knoxville Nat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Paul, My bad! Guess I owe you a beer or something for that. Still like Rendon in the 2 hole.

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I wonder if a rain delay is coming?

125. Gonat - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Nats with a great chance for a 2 out rally and that grounder by Werth didn't have enough heat on it to get through.

126. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Jordan doesn't have his best stuff tonight.

127. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

5-4-3, JZ's best friend.

128. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

hard rain in foggy bottom but didn't last long.

129. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Rendon a little nonchalant on that clear for the doubleplay. That baserunner tried to take his legs out.

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

uhm… Jordan seems to be a little off tonight…

131. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Knoxville, agree with Rendon in 2 hole. Once we get Harper & Ramos back and Werth & Zim are 100%, its a very good line-up. Problem has been they have not been healthy at the same time & the injuries have hurt (pardon the pun).

132. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

This has to be the game TyMo shows he is back on it.

133. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

ha. just as i hit enter it startd pouring again.

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Owe DP a drink… drat… some folks gonna get drunk off me when we meet at the park! :)Im in NW DC, up to Takoma Station and it is raining steady and hard over here…What's it doing at the park?

135. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Desi was safe. At the least, it was a tie.

136. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Rendon now has 11 multi-hit games out of the 26 he has played in.

137. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Tyler Moore! Welcome back!

138. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Desi was safe. Nats need those calls at home. Surprised the crowd didn't get on Wendelstat. In some stadiums the crowd would go nuts.With TyMo's HR, that cost the Nats a run.

139. Joe Seamhead - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Well, blow me down!

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Gonat said… This has to be the game TyMo shows he is back on it. June 26, 2013 8:05 PM Good call summoner!

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Wow… A T Moore HR!!! He has actually had 2 decent at bats tonight…He reminds me of Morse so much!

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

FP: If the Nats could've caught a break with Ian Desmond it would've been 3-2

143. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Bob, you are wrong, tie does not go to the runner:Rule 7.01 – "A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out." The key word here is "before". The INSTANT that ball touches the fielder's mitt, if the runner was not there BEFORE the ball, he MUST be called out—no leeway.

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Okay – so it seems Desi should have been safe… unh, we are supposed to get the home calls blue!

145. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Is it me or does Davey look more intense tonite?

146. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

The rule may say that Paul, but it is never called that way. A tie, in practice, goes to the runner most of the time.

147. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Imagine that TyMo didn't care for his Bulldogs losing the College World Series to UCLA.

148. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

There are no ties in baseball DP. From 312 Desmond looked … close. Didn't see the tv. What did replay show?

149. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Replay showed them touch at exactly the same time. It was EXTREMELY close. I don't really fault the ump because it was bang-bang. But it would've been nice to get.

150. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM

DP, agree…it just cracks me up when even seasoned announcers (& fans) say tie goes to the runner and we hear it from at a very early age as kids playing kickball, baseball, etc…I honestly did not know this "before" rule until about 2-3 years ago and I played competitively for years…funny that I never heard it from high school & college coaches.

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Good inning Jordan!

152. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Sec3, Miley decided to touch down in the middle of the base and Desi got his foot down on the front of the base. Definitely looked like Desi touched down a hair quicker.I'm a homer like I've said before but that's how I saw it ;)

153. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

The Nats have very quietly turned a corner, I think. They're starting to play good baseball, and look more relaxed. Moore just gave them a huge huge boost with that missile. I think we gonna start a run here. Go Nats

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Finally a leadoff man on!

155. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

OK Nats, it's time to strike.

156. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Thx Ghost

157. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Span with a lead off hit and now the hitting machine comes to the plate…..hopefully a big inning here!

158. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Anthony Rendon is not human. He's just not.

159. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Hitting machine!

160. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Just to comment on the close play at first.In the rule book, nowhere does it say "tie goes to the runner." But the "tie goes to the runner" is just part of baseball tradition and culture. Umpires will be the first to tell you that there is No Tie and that the ump can call it "tie goes to the defense."I always thought that was interesting.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Rendon is seriously locked in…

162. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Dang. If I were Harper I could not wait to get in a lineup with Rendon.

163. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Miley has a poor track record after 76 pitches:.362/.443/.565/1.008ATTACK!!!!

164. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Anthony better keep that hair-do for as long as it works…dude is on fire.

165. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Bad AB Ryan, but it does get the run in so I'll take it.

166. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

OK… I'll take it… Would love more!

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Sweet – 3-2 now. and an official game let it rain if the Gods want it.

168. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Let's see if FP recites that stat.

169. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Looks like smart baseball is being playd tonight!Way to go Ryan!

170. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Werth has been robbed twice today.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM

D'oh… it was a DP… Never mind…

172. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM

natsfansincestart, you are late to the party and think you owe some drinks…see mine of 814pm…great minds think alike.

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM

We got 7 hitss tonight… we've been hitting the ball better for sure…

174. Nats 128 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM

"OK I'll take it"Some of you are easy to please. Have to do better with a pitcher who was in trouble. No outs, men on 3rd and 1st and only 1 run scores?Thats not good. If your OK with it thats your choice I guess.

175. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I would have preferred more obviously, but yes I'll take a go ahead run.

176. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Good inning Jordan….

177. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM

We are scarred by that game where the Nats left 2,518 guys on 3rd.

178. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Aight… Hoping we can add some insurance to this score and go on for the win…Later folks..

179. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

So it's been pouring here almost the whole game… That rain you can see in the distance when looking out beyond center field is right over my house.It's crazy they're able to play!JZimm is looking SHARP now.

180. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM

181. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I still don't think JZimm has his best stuff, but the great thing about him is that he can go out there and battle and put up a great start even without his best stuff.

182. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM

BTW, it has cooled a good bit and is very pleasant tonight. Let that be a lesson to ya.

183. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 2m Harper lines out to right in third AB. Fouled ball off what looked like leg; unsure which. Hobbled around. Finished at-bat, ran out fly ball

184. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

""OK I'll take it"Thats not good. If your OK with it thats your choice I guess."What, you wanna give the run back? That's pretty weird.

185. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

186. Scott Margenau - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM

David Proctor said…The league adjusted to Tyler and he hasn't readjusted. I still think he's capable, but his numbers at both the majors and AAA this year suggest otherwise. I guess we'll see.June 26, 2013 7:22 PMI guess we did!!!

187. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM

BTW, it's Black Heritage Night. They are showing some excellent clips between innings.

188. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Syracuse decided Danny Espinosa needed a rest so he is sitting on the end of the bench by himself.That's what he used to do when the Nats sat him.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM

TyMo follows up a great at-bat with a lousy at-bat. First ball swinging at a changeup. TyMo had to know that Miley wasn't going to 1st ball heater on him in the zone after he just hit a HR. Poor approach there TyMo. Watch how Rendon approaches his at-bats. Very disappointed in many of the ABs tonight by the middle of the order.Rant over.

190. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Bases loaded one out, ATL got zero runs.

191. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

David Proctor said… Desi is another streaky fellow. He was on an absolute tear and now he's not hitting so well anymore. June 26, 2013 8:40 PM Look has been hitting behind him the past few days. Desi's only protection in the lineup this year has been when Davey has moved him up in the order or those few games he had Rendon behind him.

192. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

"Look who has been hitting…."

193. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Hmm. Good point. Desi will really benefit from Ramos being back.

194. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

NatsJack,From what you have seen or possibly heard, what is Espinosa's reputation as a teammate? Is he considered a good one or possibly (and I hope not) a clubhouse cancer? I've been pondering this all season myself and haven't come to any conclusion.

195. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Gotta think JZimm's day is done. We need more runs, he's batting in the inning and he's over 100 pitches.

196. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Luis Mendoza tightroped out of a bases loaded 1 out jam against the Barfs and came out unscathed.

197. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

is it me or is Jordan looking like SS the night he was trying to get loose, stretching his arms, etc…just does not look comfortable…velocity looks down too, hope i am wrong, maybe just the heat?p.s. last FB was 94mph so hope I am just wrong…not arguing about the results.

198. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Yah, Desi had Espinosa batting behind him for 2 months.

199. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM

well, he's not coming out for the 8th so hoping just heat, pitch count at 102…

200. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Shouldn't AJ Pollack play for Miami?

201. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Need Clip to lock it down and then Rendon, Zim, Werth to add a run or two.

202. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Jack, that's sad about Danny.

203. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM

over/under on Clip anyone? 22?

204. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

paul, tonight I take the under since he has the end of their order.

205. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Oh Clip…

206. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

they are trying to wave now. It doesn't seem to be catching on.

207. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Royals up 3-0

208. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Nats 128 said… "OK I'll take it"Some of you are easy to please. Have to do better with a pitcher who was in trouble. No outs, men on 3rd and 1st and only 1 run scores?Here's the deal, you have your best (qualifying) hitter up there with RISP and he tops a ball into a GIDP. It was a killer moment as I agree Miley was fading.++++++++++++++++++So, how about a different look at this?In the 1st, Ryan Zimmerman came up with a runner on 1st and one out. The run expectancy was .56, with a 28% probability that at least one run would score. He doubled and knocked in a run.In the 3rd, he came up with a runner on 2nd and two outs. The run expectancy was .35, with a 23% chance at least one run would score. Mr. Zimmerman walked, thus increasing the run expectancy to .47, but — not surprisingly — only increasing the probability of at least one run to 24%.In the 6th, he came up with runners on 1st and 3rd, with no out. The run expectancy was 1.85, with an 86% chance that at least one run would score. Mr. Zimmerman grounded into the double play, scoring a run.So, he essentially doubled the number of runs expected in the 1st (from half a run to a full run), halved the number in the 6th (from roughly two to one), and increased the expected number of runs in the 3rd, but didn't really affect the probability that a run would score (and none did).In those three ABs you really have a microcosm of how hitting works — you can't read too much into any single AB, but things even out in the end.

209. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Throw some junk Clip.. he's swinging

210. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Beautiful effort from Desi and Rendon!

211. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Great post @ 9:01 Eugene.

212. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM

What a job by K-lip

213. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Let's give Soriano some cushion now.

214. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Good job Clip.

215. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Gonat, nice call, 17 pitches if MLB is correct.

216. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Soriano is going to have the middle of the order, including Goldschmidt. Please add at least one run.

217. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Collmenter might have the weirdest deliver I've ever seen.

218. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

3-4 with the last one almost being a home run. Wow.

219. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Eugene at 9:01– well said

220. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM

paul brandt said… Gonat, nice call, 17 pitches if MLB is correct. _________________________Thanks. Lucky call.

221. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

starting to rain right now bottom of eight

222. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

OK, as a follow up to last night's discussion about errors. RZimm's hit should've been scored a double, not a single, e9. In this case I don't think the error was deserved.

223. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I'd be okay if they called the game right now. :)

224. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Make em pay, Desi!

225. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM

The error was definitely not deserved, that has to be changed. I think it will be.

226. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If Bernadina isn't playing in RF for the 9th for Werth, I will have to question Davey's wisdom.

227. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

228. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

OK Sori, let's do this

229. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

All right, Rafi, nice, easy 1-2-3. Give JZ #11.

230. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Tucked up here boss

231. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Eric/steal/noteat/yourface, agree, that has to be over-turned tomorrow, silly.

232. Gonat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM

David Proctor said… Bernadina will be playing LF for Tyler Moore. Werth is going to have to survive in right because we have no other outfielders. June 26, 2013 9:17 PM __________________________________I hear ya. Wet track though. I'd take out Werth only because of that.

233. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

That's a big out right there. Still not out of the woods though.

234. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

"Eric/steal/noteat/yourface"Ha!

235. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Eric, I couldn't resist, that is your new name at least for me…ok, Soriano, please locate your pitches better.

236. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yeeeeeeeeees!

237. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Soriano never disappoints with the drama…

238. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

man oh man, why does he do that to us…good win!!

239. Knoxville Nat - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Curly W in the books!!

240. Smatt1001 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Untuck!! Breathing again now…

241. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Haha Rendon is hilarious!

242. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

come on boys drench old town! anthony is not a good interview, funny…he kept looking for the gatorade or shaving cream.