Jun 26, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez allowed two runs to earn his first win since May 5.
Game in a nutshell: Fielding a lineup without Ryan Zimmerman, Bryce Harper or Wilson Ramos, and with an apparently gimpy Jayson Werth batting third, the Nationals figured to struggle at the plate all night. So imagine everyone's surprise when they busted out for five runs in the bottom of the third, capped by Adam LaRoche's three-run homer. They added another run in the fifth and then a much-needed insurance run in the eighth after the Diamondbacks had started to chip away at the lead, drawing as close as two runs late. Gio Gonzalez gladly accepted all the run support, earning his first win since May 9 in the process. Rafael Soriano earned his 20th save. And the Nationals got back to the .500 mark with a solid victory in the opener of this three-game series.
Hitting highlight: How rare was the Nationals' five-run explosion in the bottom of the third? Well, it was only the third time allRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?