Game 78: Diamondbacks at Nats

Jun 27, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

When the Nationals take the field later this afternoon for their series finale against the Diamondbacks, they'll find themselves in a rare position: With an opportunity to sweep a series of at least three games. This is only the fourth time this season they've been in such a position, the first time since April 28 when they lost the finale of a four-game series with the Reds.

It feels like ancient history at this point, but this was a regular occurrence around here last season. The Nationals had 19 opportunity to sweep a three- or four-game series in 2012, underscoring just how much they've been fighting an uphill battle in 2013.

If you're going for a sweep, who better to have on the mound than Stephen Strasburg, looking to continue his recent hot streak? Unfortunately, the D'backs are sending a mighty impressive young pitcher to the mound themselves in Patrick Corbin, the 23-year-old lefty looking to improve to 10-0 on the season.

It's going to be another hot, muggy, potentially stormy day at the park. If you're headed over here, bring your umbrella and/or poncho. If you're stuck at work, check back here for updates throughout…

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Seaver was prone to the long ball and Strasburg reminds me a lot of him, both on the mound and at the plate. I was just telling my son that, but Tom Seaver seemed to have a focus that Strasburg has not reached yet. Of course, Seaver is arguably the best pitcher of all time, according to Bill James, and most put him in the top ten. It is perhaps not fair to expect so much.And talk about the Face of a Franchise….

2. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Good on you Marerro…. I think your time up is about to end when Harp comes back….But good on you…

3. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Hahahaha. Oh well I'm a fool. Okay maybe it will work. Spans no good.

4. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Rendon and Marrero must be related. They look so much alike.

5. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Get off Stras people. We got 5 stinking hits. And 3 men left in scoring position. Did FP just say I think we will play d backs in playoffs????? Oh man malochio

6. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Wow Span robbed too. This isn't fair. That was an RBI.

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Gosh darn…. We got robbed again…. Ugh…

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

JAY-zuzzz! That was NOT Span's fault, there.

9. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My gosh these guys with the defense. Ughhhhhhhh go away. Can't get mad at that.

10. Section 135 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hopefully they're showcasingvStoren for a trade

11. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Hopefully d backs can play like this against the Barves

12. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Weird how some posts vanish.

13. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I think this is the best team we have seen this year.

14. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I hope they score more runs against the Braves. We've won this series no matter what. I want them to win the series against the Braves.

15. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Didn't we play the Cardinals this year?

16. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Beautiful pitch Drew….

17. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Yes, the Cardinals swept us in April.

18. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Nice change-up, Drew. Don't get too crazy with it, though, OK?

19. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

How is Arizona better than the Cardinals?

20. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Drew looked phenomenal that inning… Good series called by Solano… Some beautiful pitches by Drew…

21. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Like I said, Drew, pound that changeup in there.

22. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

DRUUUU!!!!

23. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

This would be a dandy time for Rendon's first dinger.

24. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

25. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Or even his second…..

26. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Rendon has a dinger, he hit a game winning one against the Indians.

27. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Rendon has one home run.

28. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Cold and frosty, please, DP…. ;-)

29. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Rendon's first dinger would be even better if it came against the Indians in a tie game.

30. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM

My mistake.How about No. 2.

31. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Dang. I even refreshed first. On the replay between innings, Goldschmidt didn't even know whether he had the ball–he looked twice into his mitt, like he couldn't believe it himself.

32. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Bet that delivery is a new one on AR… Nice try, Kid…

33. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

WODL. Wow still hanging on to game 5. Hahaha. Me too my brother. That really hurt.

34. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

We are the slowest team.

35. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Man, we've seen some impressive defense in this game.

36. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Why not Bernie to run here?

37. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Mostly I block out game five and focus on our being the first team ever to win an NLDS in 4 games on a walk-off homer.

38. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I still can't help but feel that if Storen had pitched better against the Cardinals in game five that we would have won that series. I know that is harsh, but I still feel that way.Or Gio. Or Jackson. Or Clippard. But yeah.

39. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Bernadina is already in the game, in left.

40. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Better yet what if we had Stras not shutdown. Sorry had to say it. Don't mean it just wanted to say it.

41. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Sorry sofa. Stopped to eat my dinner. I'll stop talking now. I'm stale

42. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Harper with a 2 run triple at Double-A Bowie.

43. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I know there was blame to go around but there is a psychological principle of being entitled that comes in the 9th. It could be worse. Watch game 6 of the 2011 World Series and imagine being a Rangers' fan. That was almost as sublime to me watching the overrated Nolan Ryan and the overrated George Bush's (he is now a painter in his spare time) hopes dashed twice. For now, that will have to suffice.

44. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I well remember Nolan Ryan's "Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit smoking" face.

45. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Did someone up here predict Krol to be a closer or stretch him to be a starter???

46. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Talk about a pitcher who had amazing stuff who never bothered to learn his craft and that is Nolan Ryan. He is far closer to a replacement pitcher than to a Walter Johnson or Roger Clemens. The one time he had his team slotted to go to the World Series, he started walking everybody and blew a big lead to the Phillies in game 7. He only had a short period of success and that was at the end when he lost some of his speed and had to try to compensate.

47. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Can Nolan Ryan with 7 no hitters, 383 SOs in 1973 possibly be overrated….maybe if you are a mets fan ;)

48. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Krol's not comfortable in the stretch.

49. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Chien-Ming Wang getting shelled in Boston.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Whew… Krol did the job though… Didnt have his best stuff tonight…Come on… Lets win this in a walk off fashion!

51. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM

First time Krol has faced some adversity and he responded well. Really like him.Last year, Ian Desmond hit a walk off home run against the D'Backs.He's up in the bottom of the 9th.Just saying.

52. Just wonderin' - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Krol distracted? Maybe upset about DOMA decision?

53. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Ryan's ERA+ was not impressive. He was exciting, even when he was walking Pete Rose and all those Phillies back in 1980, but he was closer to Edwin Jackson than he was to Sandy Koufax….

54. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

This would be a dandy time for Desmond's 14th dinger.

55. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

OK, as Jack Brickhouse used to say, "Any old kind of a run wins it!"GYFNG.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Time for the Shark to get a walk-off!

57. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

When Jackson gets 7 no-hitters and 5000 strikeouts and avgs 6.6 hits/9 inning, I will still strongly disagreeSo even the Mets made a terrible trade It was a very long time ago…It didn't hurt them except in 73

58. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Ryan's best 3 seasons where when he was in his 40's. The media painted this as a positive. In fact, it was highly negative and indicative of a guy who squandered his gift by never bothering to figure out how to take things to the next level, from being Jerry Koosman, to being Tom Seaver or Walter Johnson. Ryan was an ass and the only thing he ever won was when he was Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman's errand boy.

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… Chien-Ming Wang getting shelled in Boston. June 27, 2013 7:52 PM 7 earned runs and didn't even finish the 2nd inning. That didn't take long.

60. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Longevity should count for something. Koufax was great for what, six years, maybe seven? Ryan pitched for over 25 years, and was good for most of them, dominating for about half. So there's that. FWIW, I remember him as a hard worker, took great care of himself.

61. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Not sure I agree with bringing in Soriano. I know the rule is if it's a tie game at home, bring your closer in, but Soriano has worked the last 2 nights and they've seen him a lot. Plus, Stammen is fresh.

62. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hey, the Mets got a great 3rd baseman for Nolan Ryan, who wasn't even the best pitcher on the Angels or the Astros most of those year, with Tanana and Scott out-pitching him. His reputation drops every year now that no one is glorifying him for pitching well in his 40's. Now the question is why weren't you better when you were 27?

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM

David, that's how you do it at home in either the 9th or 10th as there is no possibility of a save.

64. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Soriano, like most closers, likes to work a lot, and throws most every day in any event. I think we see Stammen next, though, in case this goes long.

65. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Jim Fregosi was just ok.No pitcher has ever thrown close to as many no hitters and Ks as Ryan. I don't care when you do it as long as you do it eventually.The angels of the 70s great pitch, not much hitting out there.

66. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

You are right, Sofa, except the concept of the replacement player has shown us that long career aren't as impressive as we used to think.Ryan was the K leader, yes.Guess what other MLB record he has?

67. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Leadoff walk. *sigh*

68. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Where's the HATE button for leadoff walks?

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Is it true the Mets manipulated their rotation to move Harvey from Colorado back to home tomorrow?

70. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I guess I shouldn't worry when Soriano is on, he always gets the job done. But I can't help it.

71. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can't speak to his reputation, but Ryan was an All Star (manager-selected, as a pitcher, of course), which was probably not a fluke, as he also got Cy Young and MVP votes regularly when he was in his late 20s.

72. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can't argue with you, WODL…we are in different universes regarding baseball.And comparing Seaver to Johnson…Did Seaver have the wins, longevity, shutouts, endurance….Seaver was good and smart but difficult to compare positively to Walter Johnson. Sandy K. took several years to achieve greatness asnd he was the best when he was the best but it couldn't last

73. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Gasp! Exhale.

74. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Walks?

75. Drew - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Wow. Rendon's haircut comes through again.

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I thought Goldy had a hit off of that bat. Whew

77. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

guess what other record, Hank Aaron has.

78. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Ghost: I don't think they fudged the rotation, but I did hear that Mr. Harvey didn't travel to Colorado — which strikes me as a reasonable approach.

79. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

You are right, Sofa, except the concept of the replacement player has shown us that long career aren't as impressive as we used to think.I think the concept of "pee in this cup, now" has probably done more to diminish the perceived value of longevity, but maybe that's just me. I don't know how impressed people used to be. I know I'm impressed by people who can play MLB baseball, the highest level there is. And then, get into the Hall of Fame … well, there's no Hall above that one, either.

80. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Yes, Walks, and 2nd in wild pitches. He was a decent pitcher but I doubt he was worth the distraction. He was closest to Sam McDowell overall, but McDowell was better.Comparing Nolan Ryan to Steve Carleton or Jim Palmer or Tom Seaver is like comparing Dominique Wilkins to Michael Jordan. At his best, he was his equal, but at his worst, Ryan actually sucked. He lacked proper temperament and in 1980, the one year he had a really good chance to win the Series (he was a marginal but useful player for the 1969 Mets) he had a .540 era and basically blew the series with the Phillies by himself.

81. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Total Bases?

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Can Mr. Walk-off do it again? I say YES!!!!

83. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

But Stammen warming, in case he doesn't.

84. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Zimmerman came so close twice.

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Missed it by that much…

86. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

If only Ryan had eaten his Wheaties….

87. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM

yes, you are right sudden sam mcdowell should take Nolan Ryan's place in the hall of fame….WODL, WTFbetter get this game in

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Nats aren't at no doubles and it cost the Nats.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Stammen has to keep the runner stuck at 2nd.

90. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hank Aaron still holds the record for ASG appearances, IIRC.

91. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Check out McDowell's ERA+ and he was just as fast. Nolan Ryan was a carnival attraction. He never led any team to the pinnacle. He was never the best pitcher in baseball except maybe that bizarre season where he went 8-16 towards the end. He is so far down the list in terms of most analysts' rankings of pitchers that he can't even see Johnson, Young or Grove. But he was good at doing those aspirin commercials.

92. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

the plague for Sudden Sam McDowell in the WODL hall of fame:With a blazing fastball that approached 100 mph and a work ethic like none other, Nolan Ryan dominated hitters for an unparalleled 27 seasons on his way to 5,714 strikeouts, an all-time record. During four decades of prominence, he totaled 324 victories and a host of Major League records. Most notable of his milestones are a mystifying seven no-hitters and 12 one-hitters. The eight-time All-Star fanned a single-season record 383 batters in 1973, and his career strikeouts encompassed 1,176 different players.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Please give me a DP here please….

94. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Sky has opened here in Knoxville to a huge storm causing my satellite signal to go out. Do the Dbacks still have a runner on 3rd or did they get him in?

95. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM

saw that coming, should have walked him!

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That hurts. Everyone has been shutdown all day and now this.

97. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Thankfully Heath Bell is coming on.

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Damn…. That hurt…Wonder if DJ will see that and start doing that….

99. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Hopefully Chase will be able to take over from his perch in the press box in Bowie… Got you down here, Mark.

100. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Jeesh, this is a Nats blog game thread.Who gives a rat's rectum about Nolan Ryan? Come on, Stamman. We can still pull this out.

101. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

But you missed all those walks, Jeff. He has way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way more walks than anybody in the long, long, long, long, long history of baseball. Walks are killers and they turned Ryan into a Hall of Fame carnival sideshow but not the serious sort of pitcher the Mets or Dodgers wanted. He hung out with the Angels and Astros and Rangers, all expansion bottom dwellers, although the Angels got good right after they got rid of him.Watch game 7 of the 1980 NLCS where Ryan walked Rose, and then he walked another guy and then he walked another and then he blows what appeared to be a sure NL title for the Astros, giving up 6 runs in 7 innings. Ryan was a choker who would have fit in perfectly on the 1986 Red Sox.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Stammen has to feel like Crap…. Hopefully we can play some ball… Get 2 runs….

103. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

come on Davey, walk the lefty to load the bases…given his speed DP is doubtful anyway and then go after a guy who is 0-4 for the day who then struck out and then up comes Wil Nieves who Stammen K's…come on!!!

104. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

In the top of the 11th, Montero led off with a bomb of an automatic double to center, bouncing over the wall, too far back for even Span to get there. After Cody Ross bunted him to third, Stammen walked Jason Kubel, and Didi Gregorius laid down a great bunt up the first base line, scoring the run and beating it out for a hit. Stammen came back to strike out Pennington and pinch hitter Wil Nieves (who?), but the Nats are going to need one to tie, two to win, now.

105. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

In the words of Rapid Robert Feller who had 3 nohitters:No hitters are luck.

106. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Signal restored, at least for now. Guess I missed a well executed squeeze by AZ is that right?

107. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Gee, WODL, if I didn't know better I'd get the impression you don't much like the guy.

108. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We had all game to do something. We could have pinned a lose on their guy. 2 steps forward and 1 step back, dammit.

109. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

FIRE!

110. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

YOWZA, one of the light towers has a fire going inside it (birds nest? it's a big one). Stay tuned, this might affect things if the game keeps going.

111. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM

No, it's the Jim Fregosi blog…but seriously…missing the game over Nolan Ryan.A fire in the lights…Didn't see Roy Hobbs at the ballpark

112. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Sofa, thanks for the update. Wish it had been more favorable for the Nats.

113. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Knoxville, a very well executed bunt indeed, no chance for the defense at all.

114. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I don't like flashy players who are perceived to be way better than their underlying stats indicate. Every story about Nolan Ryan should read: Nolan Ryan, all time walks leader and 2nd in wild pitches, ….

115. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

pinch runner pls!

116. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Good hit Adam…. Come on Desi….

117. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Jim Fregosi was a great Italian American.

118. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Boy that hurts.

119. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

With one out, and Heath Bell in to close, LaRoche singled to center. Desmond hit what might have been a double play ball, but Hill bobbled it momentarily, Ian beat the relay by plenty. But Bernadina popped to short.Game, 3-2.

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Well… At least we won the series….

121. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

And in other news, Chik-Filet peach milkshakes are back…good for easing a tough loss…

122. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

bernie is horrid as a hitter…dammit, hate losses like this…dammit

123. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Can't be too upset about this loss. It was extremely well played on both sides. We were robbed several times defensively. Ryan came a few feet from walking off. Winning run scored on a squeeze. What can you do?

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Stras can't complain about the lack of support here, though. He had the lead and gave it right back. So many of these games are just coin flips and we all know it.

125. UnkyD - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Rats

126. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM

i am going for one of those shakes on sunday

127. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

guess I should be happy about winning 2 of 3, but I am really pissed at Werth's horrible at bat, Desi now in 3 of last 4 games choking when it counts late in the game. Shark is a just a joke of a batter and gives Nats zero chance to ever hit a tying or winning runOverall, they at least won the series… but, Nats really could have won this game..I can not get to mad at Stammen…

128. JaneB - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I agree with David P. It was well played. I wish we'd gained on the Braves but at least we didn't, um, stink up the joint on this loss.

129. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM

so after all this, back at 500…when will this team roll, if ever????/

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I expect Arizona to take care of business next series….

131. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

"Desi now in 3 of last 4 games choking when it counts late in the game"You do realize he hit a 2 run HR which was our only runs? And you do realize that he has more game winning RBI than anybody on the team, right? Of all the people to be upset at, Desi is the least of them.

132. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

David…my point is verse Rockies and even in the win verse AZ the first night, late in the game, Desi has not hit … I expect an All star to out the damn ball in play

133. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What a heartbreaker, especially Zim's shot that was about 10 feet shy of a walk off.Oy…2/3 against the Dbacks ain't nuthin to sneeze at though.

134. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I am more upset at only scoring 2 runs, Werth's terrible at bat and just watching Shark hit is torture because you know he is an automatic out

135. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

DP, disagree, Davey should have walked the bases loaded in the 11th to keep the DP intact given the speed of the lefty kid (cant remember his name)…had he done that, next guy strikes out and the next one, wil nieves! k's too…see mine of 842pm…damn!

136. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Davey leaving the door open for Harper returning sooner since he's been playing so well in the minors.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I was surprised the Nats weren't playing deeper in a tie game to the 1st batter of the inning. Can't give up extra bases with no out then you bring your outfielders in to normal depth once you get 1 out is what I believe is how many Managers play it from the 9th inning on in a tie game.

138. d'grviii 8 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

The team may not be on fire right now, but apparently the stadium is.

139. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

If Stras does not let the pitcher get on base, it is 2-1 Nats..overall, Stars pitched well enough to win

140. karlkolchak - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Hope for Strasburg? There is "hope" for Strasburg if the offense starts scoring runs for him. He gave up the same number of runs in the same numer of innings as Z-nn did yesterday. What do you WANT from the guy?

141. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM

"Krol distracted? Maybe upset about DOMA decision?"Zing!!!

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM

mick, no doubt. That's BABIP by the pitcher. If Span would hit it that hard on grounders he would get more hits.

143. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

"First time Krol has faced some adversity and he responded well. Really like him."Didn't he pitch in the 8th or 9th in Philly the night Ian hit the 11th inning grand slam?

144. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I understand AZ starting pitcher holding us to 2 runs, I get that…what I don't get is a depleted bull pen shutting us out in our parklook, we MUST beat Mets 2 of 3…we have to win every series among the next 13 games…remember, when this started we had 17 of next 20 at home…it is now 10 of 13 at home and Nats stuck at 500.

145. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Yes he did, Eric. I meant his own self-inflicted adversity. He gave up a couple hits and looked to struggle a little more than usual. Still had a good inning.

146. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ghost…agreed

147. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Gotcha DP. Although, I think he started off badly in Philly, too.In any case, he's definitely been impressive overall.

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Harper going for a cycle tonight for Double-A Harrisburg.

149. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM

150. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

151. DJB - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Very tough loss, with some bad luck. Big problem is lack of power. I don't think there is a 30 home run guy on the team. I also don't think Zimm can be considered a power hitter anymore, even though his poor batting average would suggest he should be one. How many has he been able to drive out of Nats park? It's sad to see someone with such potential have a career decline at his age due to injuries. This should be a lesson to Bryce.

152. DJB - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That should have been 30 home run guy in the lineup. LaRoche is arguably one in some years.

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

paul brandt said… If I see Span ground out to 1b one more time, i will puke, he is so predictable its scary…drop him to 7 or 8 in the line-up please. He stays leadoff for now but has to get better contact. If Werth was healthier then maybe you try something out.

154. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

To be fair, Span was absolutely robbed once. If that ball gets past Goldschmidt, it may go into the corner and score Kobernus.

155. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Isn't Desi basically on pace for 30? And, Harper for even more?

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Eric said… Why the hell did they just cut Stras short? That was actually a pretty good interview. June 27, 2013 9:15 PM Agreed. That was the best Stras interview I can remember. He was engaged and informative.

157. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Desi is a great leader. He doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

158. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

ghost, i hear ya but how much longer can this continue? shoot, put rendon there…prefer werth but understand he is not 100%.

159. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Dan Kolko backing up what I said about Davey very much leaving the door open for an early Harper return.Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 21sI wouldn't be shocked if we see Harper in NY this weekend. Davey left the door open. "I'll take him whenever he's ready."

160. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 27sWhen he heard reports on Harper, Davey says, "I'd like to have him in there. He can't be hurting too bad."

161. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM