Game 78: Diamondbacks at Nats

Jun 27, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

When the Nationals take the field later this afternoon for their series finale against the Diamondbacks, they'll find themselves in a rare position: With an opportunity to sweep a series of at least three games. This is only the fourth time this season they've been in such a position, the first time since April 28 when they lost the finale of a four-game series with the Reds.

It feels like ancient history at this point, but this was a regular occurrence around here last season. The Nationals had 19 opportunity to sweep a three- or four-game series in 2012, underscoring just how much they've been fighting an uphill battle in 2013.

If you're going for a sweep, who better to have on the mound than Stephen Strasburg, looking to continue his recent hot streak? Unfortunately, the D'backs are sending a mighty impressive young pitcher to the mound themselves in Patrick Corbin, the 23-year-old lefty looking to improve to 10-0 on the season.

It's going to be another hot, muggy, potentially stormy day at the park. If you're headed over here, bring your umbrella and/or poncho. If you're stuck at work, check back here for updates throughout…

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

Read more ยป

1. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Don't expect much offense today with Corbin pitching. Hopefully we capitalize on a few of his mistakes or get to their bullpen early. That's our best shot.

2. Tcostant - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Big day coming for the Onion!

3. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

60% chance of precip at 4 pm and a tornado watch through 10 pm for zip code 20003 (Nationals Park).http://www.bing.com/weather/search?q=weather%2020003&unit=F&qpvt=weather+20003&FORM=DTPWEA

4. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

We will see Ohlendorf or Stammen today if there is a delay after Stras pitches, I figure. That may be why Ohlendorf was warming yesterday.

5. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

David,Corbin is definitely a good pitcher but looking at his overall numbers the one major difference between last year and this is that last year his BABIP was .313 and this year it's .243 which tells me that in addition to being good he's also been very lucky this year.

6. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Capital Weather Gang โ€@capitalweather 29s#Nats fans: Likely hit OR miss showers/storms during game time. Poss delays, not a washout. That's about as detailed as we can get.Sounds like they don't really know.

7. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Good to know, JD. His luck is due to run out sometime right?

8. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Corbin is definitely a good pitcher but looking at his overall numbers the one major difference between last year and this is that last year his BABIP was .313 and this year it's .243 which tells me that in addition to being good he's also been very lucky this year. Nice catch JD. Let's go for regression to the mean (upwards) with that, and regression to the mean (upwards) for Nats hitters!

9. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

David Proctor said… Don't expect much offense today with…Why should this night be different than . . . ;-)(That's not negative – just trying for levity and/or reverse lock. I'm aware that someone (Natslady?) pointed out that Nats lead the NL in batting! (for the last week)May their hot streak continue!

10. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

regression to the mean (upwards) for Nats hitters!Meaner than a junkyard zombie dog! #EatFace

11. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Do you remember this guy? Darren Daulton, ex-catcher for the Phillies? Kind of a weirdo, in and out of trouble with the law, but very sad news that he has two brain tumors.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/baseball/mlb/wires/06/27/2010.ap.bbn.daulton.surgery.0124/index.html

12. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

There are two lines forming…one near Martinsburg and one near Cumberland….The first line with heavy downpour, strong winds should hit the park around 5 pm with about a 1 hour delay.They should get the rest of the game in after 6 pm.

13. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

And Corbin's the guy they got for our man Harren

14. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Tarp on the field and the game is supposed to start in 45 mins…

15. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

So having basically said I don't care all that much about the batting order, I've now been thinking about it. Seems like someone is going to have to take one for the team when Harper returns, and the question is who:1. Rendon, because you have to drop him to 7th to recreate the season opening lineup that we haven't had since sometime in April.2. Span, because you want to have Werth and Rendon at the top of the lineup in some order, so Span needs to bat 7th or 8th.3. Werth, because you want to keep Rendon where he is, insert Harper at No. 3, and there's no way Werth should hit before Desi when everyone's back.4. Desi, see No. 3, except Werth's psyche is too delicate to bat 7th, or you want the guy who is hitting almost .400 (Rendon) to bat 6th rather than 7th. All of this assumes you keep the catcher in the 8 hole My preference is 2. I have a feeling Davey will go for 1 or 4. But again, I don't think it matters all that much.

16. Ishmael - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Batting order:Count me in the camp that thinks you want the guys who are best at getting base (or not making outs, which is the same thing) at the top of the order. So I'd take your #2, and drop Span to 8th, or maybe 7th.I like the idea of having him get on before the pitcher, where he can be sacrificed to second (if he gets on), for Werth, Rendon and Harper.I don't think Davey will do this, however.

17. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Now raining in downtown DC.

18. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM

A very light line along the river…they could play on time but there will be a rain delay after 5

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

#EatFace. #DotheMullet

20. Tcostant - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

NatsLady said… Do you remember this guy? Darren Daulton, ex-catcher for the Phillies? Kind of a weirdo, in and out of trouble with the law, but very sad news that he has two brain tumors.Me: Here is a funny memory I have of Darren Daulton. Toward the end of his career the Phillies planned to move him to the OF and this one he played almost daily in the OF. He was also in a heated divorce with his model wife. Well his wife was the model on all the Hooters advertisements. So he learning the OF that spring and every time he goes back on a ball there is a giant Hooter ad on the wall (Clearwater I think) with his wifeโ€™s picture on in. He had to deal with that the whole spring. Iโ€™m smiling just remembering it.

21. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

starting to rain for serious in Shaw…

22. d'grviii 8 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Werth's psyche is not too fragile to bat 7th. In fact, don't be surprised if he suggests it to Davey himself. Davey may have been laying the groundwork for that with his comments last night about not having decided yet to pull Werth out of the 2 spot.

23. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

1) Span2) Rendon3) Werth4) Harp5) Zim6) ALR7) Desi8) Moozuki9) PMy reasoning:1) every opposing pitcher throws 20+ pitches in the 1st…2) base runners for Harp, in the 1st, every night3) 5-8 nearly as scary….I know nothing….

24. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Rendon is hitting so well, I'd love to keep him up in the order. I think what we really have to have is guys on base for Harper/Zimm/Laroche/Desi/Werth/RamosI could understand moving Werth to leadoff if Span's OBP stays low

25. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Looks like, once this batch blows through it'll be pretty much OK, if still threatening-looking.

26. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Agreed…let's play 2

27. EmDash - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

The Nats' general pattern at home is to delay the game if there's even a moderate chance of there being a lengthy delay to avoid losing the starting pitcher – don't want to risk missing innings from Gio, Strasburg or Zimmermann if you can avoid it. So the odds of a delay for caution's sake seem high.

28. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Officially delayed.

29. d'grviii 8 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Looks like the tarp is on the field now, 15-20 minutes before game time. That guarantees a delay.

30. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Yes, looks like a delay for these weak storms unfortunately…If they wait enuf the big stuff may come thru later making it a night game. They really should start by 4:30

31. 3on2out - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

UnkyD! Unconvential but I kinda like it.

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM

jeffwx, looking at the radar, there doesn't seem to be much behind this; all the really serious stuff is well north. Baltimore is getting the severe parts, too.

33. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I thought jeffwx was a weatherman?

34. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows ๐Ÿ˜‰ …Bob Dylan for you youngsters

35. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Models diverge on big stuff tonight…notice the lines forming to our south near Charlottsville.Tough forecast esp. from our respective couches.The atmosphere is juiced baby

36. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Also new storms form along the south west quadrant of the original line…the way of the atmosphere.I agree to go to the game but could have more stuff later

37. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM

38. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM

"I thought jeffwx was a weatherman?"Srsly? Ooops.

39. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I thought sofa was but good forecasts out there.I'm tempted to go and get there around 4:45

40. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Sofa plays a weatherman on TV, from his couch. so does NL.

41. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Well, I get all the news I need on the weather report (Simon and Garfunkle)

42. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

NL is an excellent prognosticator of the perambulations of our pitchers too.

43. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hey everyone. I am at the game. The ground crew is working on getting the water off the tarp. Rain has stopped

44. Brother Juniper - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Is it too weird to have Span lead off at home and drop him in the order on the road?I always want to spell it Spann after my favorite piano player.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

46. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

"Werth's psyche is not too fragile to bat 7th."I agree (insofar as I could possibly know such a thing ;)). I think he just loves playing baseball, and being placed to protect Desi isn't exactly a slight anyway.

47. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM

"Rick Eckstein being interviewed on 106.7. I've never heard him talk, but really…I agree with everything he's saying."Well…what's he saying!?

48. Ishmael - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It looks like an almost certainty that Taylor Jordan will be the Nats starting pitcher on Saturday. I think it's premature to make the callup because you have Ohlendorf.Most of these callups have been getting crushed of late and that includes Gausman and Bauer of late.The Orioles have taken several top prospects and turned them into has-beens quickly. Matusz, Arrietta, and wouldn't be surprised to add Gausman and Bundy to that list.Calling up hitters prematurely isn't as damaging as doing it with pitchers.

50. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Eric,Eckstein was just talking about how he wants the Nats to be a good fastball hitting team. It's not necessarily all about pulling (but if you can pull, do it), but it's about hitting fastballs when you get it. He praised Moore for hitting his homer last night but said in his first AB, he got a 3-1 fastball on the inner half and tried to go opposite field and he should have just pulled it. Said we need to stop taking fastballs down the middle just to try and work the count. If we get a fastball, hit it. (Davey mentioned this as well and said he likes how the DBacks do it). Make pitchers fear throwing a fastball to you. And then you can adjust to the offspeed off of that.Basically it all goes back to what Davey was saying about being too passive. We're taking too many fastballs down the middle. If you get a fastball, swing.

51. mick - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

52. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

"the hippy dippy weather says "Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening" lol"Ha!Good stuff, David, thanks for sharing. I know it drives me crazy when they sit on a juicy fastball rolling right down the pike.

53. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

From the Twitter feed:"Tarp being removed. No sign of pitchers yet. Figure first pitch will be somewhere around 5 p.m. #Nats #Dbacks"

54. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The Angels (last place in AL West) won every game this season against the Tigers (first place AL East). Go figure.

55. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ghost, isn't Bundy injured? Do you think that is because he was rushed?

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Ishmael said… Ghost, I think Jordan is needed Saturday, not Sunday.I agree with you about calling pitchers up prematurely, but at least Jordan is 24, so that makes it a little less risky.You are quick! Yep, Saturday. Taylor's age hopefully helps but isn't a given as you can see with the Cardinals. Not even the Cardinals have made it work with all of their callups. Shelby Miller worked but he showed in Spring Training that he was ready just like Jordan Zimmermann did in Spring Training of 2009 and note that Jordan Z had no starts in the Majors prior to winning the #5 in the 2009 season. Turning Rosenthal into a starter didn't work. Wacha got sent back down after 3 starts and he looked great his first start. Gast started 3 games for the Cardinals and he's 24 years old and got sent back with a 5+ ERA. Tyler Lyons is 25 years old and has started 6 games and his ERA is 5.50+Taylor Jordan could look great Saturday and it still isn't a guarantee as Wacha looked Ace in his first start and blasted in his next 2. Gausman got blasted in all of his starts.I would rather see him in September in a low pressure start and then let him compete in Spring Training.

57. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Has anyone asked Davey why he prefers to bring up Jordan to giving Ohlendorf another start? I'm truly curious about that.

58. TexNat - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

59. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

the hippy dippy weather says "Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening"You missed the end of that sentence!"… with some widely scattered light towards morning"

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

NatsLady said… Ghost, isn't Bundy injured? Do you think that is because he was rushed? June 27, 2013 4:37 PM He was hurt beforehand and they rushed him back which was odd with their handling of him as their #1 prospect, but I believe that it was inevitable that he would have needed the Tommy John at some point. What should be more concerning is how some players over-compensate when they have elbow injuries that cause other issues and I wouldn't be surprised if he never develops into a good pitcher.Without Dr. Yocum it will also be interesting how Dr. Andrews does. Other doctors track records on TJ surgery success and players having nerve damage is well documented. Yes, better an elbow than a shoulder but I'm just glad the Nats players had Yocum.

61. d'grviii 8 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Might as well bring Taylor Jordan up now and give him a shot. By doing it now, Rizzo and Davey find out whether or not they need to go after starting pitching at the deadline. If Jordan shows that he's ready, you keep him and remain silent at the deadline. If he falls short, you send him back down and acquire a starter. No harm, no foul.

62. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Ghost, Your points are very well taken. Most young pitchers fail. Some fail and then succeed but some go by the way side. I think it was foolish for the Orioles to push an 18 year old Bundy so quickly. I think that with Jordan it's just a reward for a tremendous season so far and the reasonable possibility that he will hold his own. Given his age I don't really see that much down side here. It would be nice to get a glimpse and see if we have our potential 5th starter in house.

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

TexNat said… Section 222, he said its because if he did that he would have to put some other young pitcher into the long role that Ohlendorf is currently occupying and that he didn't want to do that. I didn't hear him say that but I don't buy it. He had Ryan Perry as a mop up until they removed him from the 40 man.Karns was ready to bring up and try because he was ready and went through Spring Training. This is a change in philosophy and it could work out poorly in a "must win" game. Sometimes it works great like Wacha did in his 1st game as the other team has no scouting. Sometimes like Matt Moore the pitcher is the real deal and is just ready.

64. Ishmael - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

It's funny about Davey not wanting to put a young pitcher in the long reliever role. I'm pretty certain that Earl Weaver believed that long relief was the best place for a young starter. (I've been too busy to find my Weaver book and look this up.)

65. Eric - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

"I didn't hear him say that but I don't buy it. "I heard it…he said it was too awkward a role, I think because the likelihood of coming into games is so hit or miss over time. I took it to be similar to the idea that young hitters need reps at the plate.

66. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I'm not buying the long relief story either. I just don't think Davie and Mc.Catty really believe in Ohlendorf.

67. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That makes some sense Eric. Still, poor Ross O. Well, he might get some work if there's a rain delay today.

68. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Jordan is not a long-term solution this season, even if he pitches well. He's recovering from TJ Surgery and is already at 90 innings. He doesn't have all that much time left before he hits that magic number.

69. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

David, Bingo. That's why they can't wait until September for this call up.

70. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Good first inning Stras.

71. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Nats game is MLB TV's free game of the day. That doesn't override local blackouts, does it? The free look-in that they sometimes have late in the game does.

72. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Rendon got robbed.

73. phil dunton - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Corbin resembles a young Andy Pettit and has the same mannerisms.

74. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM

and Ryan going a little Oppo.. always a good sign

75. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Ryan Zimmerman: Still washed-up, I see.

76. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Sec 222, no it does not. you can only see free games if you are out of market.

77. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Eugene, Ryan's power is gone. That should've been a home run.(kidding)

78. phil dunton - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Danny now batting .105 with 29 Ks in 45 at bats. He is totally embarrassing himself.

79. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Detroit is in AL central

80. do1teach1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I wonder if anyone on the board saw Jim Vance of Channel 4 throw out the first pitch at last night's game. Did it strike (no pun intended) anyone as strange?I was watching George Michaels report in the early days, when it looked like the stadium deal would not go through. George said, sadly and breathlessly, that this would mean Major League Baseball would not come to Washington.Jim Vance replied, "Good. Let them go screw somebody else." He stood squarely–and consistently–against baseball's return to Washington and against the stadium deal. And last night he threw out the first pitch, exulting in the adoration Major League Baseball poured upon him, in the stadium he fought to prevent from being built.Did anyone else notice?

81. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Denard Span.

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

WEB GEM SPANNING

83. d'grviii 8 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

This early in the season there is no such thing as a "must win" game. There just isn't. This ain't football.

84. TexNat - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Ghost, I don't necessarily subscribe to the logic myself, but I'm pretty sure Johnson said it. I think Mark alluded to it in his story about the Nats options for the fifth starter a few days back.

85. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Yes I noticed Jim Vance. But it's Jim Vance. Consider the source. He is a racist and he once suggested that baseball was a sport for White people.

86. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Beat that shift, LaRoche!

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Adam – 1The Shift – 0

88. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Just not a Tyler more fan. 2 men left in scoring position ughhhh

89. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Tyler should have let LaRoche steal there.

90. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Why is one of our best hitters sacrificing in the 2nd inning in front of 2 hitters who are below .200?

91. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

He wasn't sacrificing, he was clearly bunting for a base hit. And would have had it if not for a spectacular play.

92. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Tyler hits an HR last night. Very nice. But the kid just can't play. Enough of him already. Put in the shark.

93. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Corbin has dramatic L/R splits. That's why Moore is playing and not the Shark.

94. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I'll buy that Proctor. I understand. More just seems to lack some major league stuff.

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Did he really just celebrate????

96. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Jeez, Aaron Hill is impossible to get out.

97. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Wow, terrible call. He was safe by plenty there.

98. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

too many pitches by third inning? you should not be having 8 pitch at bats against their pitcher.

99. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Not complaining. But wow just a terrible call. Not even close

100. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

GoSM's post is gone.

101. JD - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

The bunt is still a bad play by Desi even if it's for a hit. When you are the last best hope in the lineup you need to swing the bat.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Got him….

103. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Lets get some runs here. Hitting looks like last week.

104. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Ugly inning. Going swimming

105. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Strasburg's doin' it again; not going after hitters, dinking and dunking. How can you let the pitcher have an AB like that? In the meantime, Nats down in the third on, what, ten pitches — probably less.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM

K ok Stras

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Faraz, I'm ghosting again.

108. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

These long outs aren't good for the heart….

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Goldy is a good baserunner.

110. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Don't give me none of that gold schmidt

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

K ok!!!

112. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Stras got some stuff today

113. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

what is ss pitch count now? mlb.com ain't working for me.

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Faraz, 66, 45 strikes.

115. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Thanks sofa. anyways, offense needs to get going.

116. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Come on guys… Stop with this simple first pitch swinging… Work this guy….Dang…

117. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Faraz,Steven Strasburg has thrown 66 pitches through four innings.

118. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

THanks Eugene.

119. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I'll take an Oly, Mr. Oregon. ; )

120. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

This looks like first team to score will win.

121. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

IAN!!!

122. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Daddy Desmond! Bang Zoom!

123. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yessssss…… Good going Desi!!!!

124. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Hahahaha. Lets hop I'm right.

125. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Ugh Tyler. Put in shark for defense

126. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Now make it stick, Stras.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I agree SWM, time to put in Shark for D.

128. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If Strasburg can go 6, I'll be pleased right now. He's pitching a shutout so far, but it's an ugly looking one.

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Let's get that GIDP

130. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I always want to spell it Spann after my favorite piano player.Meant to high-five this earlier–I still catch myself calling Denard "Otis."

131. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM

There's the GODP Stras needed.

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Summoned. Pitcher leads off next inning.

133. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Speaking of summoning: jeffwx, that line of stuff is coming together around Charlottesville-Harrisonburg, like you said. Looks like it might not get solid or hit us, though. Wait and see…

134. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yeah Davey always takes him until its too late. Although bullpen lately a little nerve racking

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Nice Stras!

136. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

sweet 2 strike bunt SS

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Knucks! FP with another oldie but goodie.

138. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Span, wtf?

139. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

When Harper comes back Span needs to move down in the order.

140. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

141. paul brandt - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Corbin is a good pitcher, no question…and to think AZ got him for Haren or in some Haren trade with others, one would think AZ got the better end of that deal.

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Pitcher hit?

143. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Hit by the pitcher hurts.

144. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Man, Parra is having a tough game.Dang. So is Strasburg now.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Leadoff hits by pitchers come to bite you.

146. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Aaron Hill…pain in the butt

147. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

David Proctor said… Span's in a bad place offensively, but he will improve. He has to. It would be bizarre for him to perform THIS far below his career norms.Span just can't seem to hit lefties this season.

148. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM

yes, that line now north of Fredricksburg looks interesting…I got ac put in finally so am chillin

149. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Strasburg about to implode like always…he just isn't that good, folks!!! He's lucky those 2 other balls didn't go out. He just doesn't have the mental make-up to be an ace.

150. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Is Stras out of gas ?

151. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Strasburg's progress in mastering his craft has been disappointing to me.

152. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Oh look who's back. The guy who was nowhere to be found during our wins or when Strasburg was dominating. What a joke.

153. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Man, it's like there's some app that alerts people when to come in here and start in.

154. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Once again Davey pushes him to far and now we are in trouble. It's hot and muggy. Kid been struggling all day. STAMMen time but it may be too late.

155. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

When was Strasburg dominating? I missed that.

156. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

He may be here because he wants to be assured that all is right, David. I honestly doubt that many people have the time to come here just to annoy people. Some people are natural pessimists. Let's not hate them for that.

157. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

His last start, when he struck out 9, walked none and gave up 1 run over 7 innings.

158. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I honestly doubt that many people have the time to come here just to annoy people. You're new to this Interwebz thing, aren't you WODL?

159. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

160. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I am new to the internets. I was one of those late arrivers back in 1993.

161. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Way to go Davey. I was the Baltimore game when we led 6 2. And Davey left Jordan in until it was 6 to 6. Needless to say we lost. What is with him? I just don't get it

162. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

These Dbacks are a good hitting team in any case…foul off a lot of pitches….make you throw a lot…good power.

163. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I did have Prodigy in 1989 but that was BBS.

164. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I often come here during the bad moments because I know there are people with greater insight into certain things and I want to hear what they have to say.And IMO it shows in your posts, WODL.

165. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You give up a walk to the pitcher and then groove a pitch to the next hitter. Tom Seaver only did that a few times every season.

166. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Strasburg has great stuff. Too bad he has to make everything so difficult by being a stupid pitcher. Why does he have to throw 100+ pitches through 5-6 innings of every start?

167. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Prodigy–wow, that takes me back!

168. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You seem like a rude guy, Sec. 3.

169. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Now let's welcome all. It makes Mark more $$$

170. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

If people want to come here and vent then let them. I watch the games alone. And when I'm frustrated I take to this site for comfort and to converse with fellow fans. It's pretty rude to SLAM the door in some ones face. But some here think it must be always rah rah positive.

171. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Well, Bob Gibson did it now and then, too. I'm not sure Seaver is a fair standard to hold people to.

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I will eat my pretzel and leave things to all the positive guys. I still think Strasburg's pitch showed a lack of concentration but hell, I've never stood out there in the hot sun with guys smacking balls back at me….

173. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Strasburg about to implode like always…+++++++++++++++++Interesting definition of 'always' there. Mr. Strasburg has started 14 games prior to today. In those games he gave up the following earned runs:0, 6, 0, 2, 3, 2, 4, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1.In four of those games there were additional unearned runs allowed, included 4 unearned runs on May 11.But 'always' implode? I don't see it. Please offer some facts to back your assertion.

174. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

You seem like a rude guy, Sec. 3.I'm sorry you got that impression; it wasn't my intention, and I apologize.

175. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I still think we are going to we the division and I think the Braves are not good. I even went to see the guys in Space Coast Stadium. I just think that was a lazy pitch is all.

176. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

People that don't care wouldn't be here. Now if I may vent. 3 men left at second in this game. And get the piano off your back WERTh. And I don't wanna hear he is hurt.

177. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

ALR time to get it going.

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I accept. Sometimes context doesn't come through when typing. People on here think I love Peter Angelos and it was nothing more than a one night stand–I swear!

179. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Daveys the one who has imploded.

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

That Sunday game against Cleveland, I almost didn't think I could take watching anymore, and that was after the game at Atlanta with 2nd and 3rd and nobody out….

181. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Go shave Gibson

182. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I just think that was a lazy pitch is all. It certainly wasn't a good pitch. FWIW, I was a little surprised Davey sent him back out.

183. Joe Seamhead - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Well, I'm late to the party. Just breezed through the posts. Also just saw the replay of Span's catch. Not too shabby. For the poster that stated that Strasburg just isn't that good, I'll tell you this: there isn't a GM in MLB that would agree with your opinion.

184. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I accept. Sometimes context doesn't come through when typing.Thank you, that's gracious of you. You did know the "new around here" line was a joke, right?

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Bob Short is the only owner I have the energy to despise.

186. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I was all ready to gloat about giving this guy his first loss. Oh, well, we may still have a couple of innings.

187. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

There's that "taking fastballs down the middle" thing, again.

188. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Just can't stand backwards Ks.

189. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I am always grouchy after we let the opposing pitcher on and then they hit a homer.

190. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Davey brings back Stras so he can pinch hit him next inning. Ughhhhh hold your breath.

191. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I mean…if someone told me 7 innings, 2 runs for Strasburg, I'd probably have taken it. Need more runs, but I guess Corbin is staying in since he just hit for himself.

192. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Gosh…. I go to meet my new puppy, who is sitting here sleeping under my legs, and we are tied…What the heck happened!?!?!?

193. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Stras gave up a hit to the pitcher and then a home run to Aaron Hill.

194. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM

So, I think we can add a 2 ER outing to Mr. Strasburg's season, which means in 15 starts he's twice given up more than 3 ERs — 6 ERs once and 4 ERs another time. So I'm still waiting for that reality-based explanation of how he 'always' implodes.

195. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Wow… Totally surprised that SS went out there for the 7th…. Good on ya SS…7 innings… 2 hits… Just like Jordan last night…Come on Nats bats!

196. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM

So that wasn't so bad. Since you mentioned Seaver, it prompted me to look him up.His age 24 season, 1969, he was 25-7, won the Cy Young award, and the World Series. So that's a pretty good year. But he did give up 24 home runs, so maybe there's hope for Strasburg yet.

197. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Ugh Just our luck. Great play. D. M. It

198. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Man, good thing Parra hit the end of the padding on Moore's fly, instead of the fence.Golly, I hate that thing.

199. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Marrero?. Isn't Stevie Wonder available? This kid can't play.

200. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

So we have been robbed 2 times now…. Gosh the DBacks can play some D…

201. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Seaver was prone to the long ball and Strasburg reminds me a lot of him, both on the mound and at the plate. I was just telling my son that, but Tom Seaver seemed to have a focus that Strasburg has not reached yet. Of course, Seaver is arguably the best pitcher of all time, according to Bill James, and most put him in the top ten. It is perhaps not fair to expect so much.And talk about the Face of a Franchise….

202. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Good on you Marerro…. I think your time up is about to end when Harp comes back….But good on you…

203. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Hahahaha. Oh well I'm a fool. Okay maybe it will work. Spans no good.

204. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Rendon and Marrero must be related. They look so much alike.

205. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Get off Stras people. We got 5 stinking hits. And 3 men left in scoring position. Did FP just say I think we will play d backs in playoffs????? Oh man malochio

206. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Wow Span robbed too. This isn't fair. That was an RBI.

207. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Gosh darn…. We got robbed again…. Ugh…

208. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

JAY-zuzzz! That was NOT Span's fault, there.

209. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My gosh these guys with the defense. Ughhhhhhhh go away. Can't get mad at that.

210. Section 135 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hopefully they're showcasingvStoren for a trade

211. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Hopefully d backs can play like this against the Barves

212. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Weird how some posts vanish.

213. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I think this is the best team we have seen this year.

214. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I hope they score more runs against the Braves. We've won this series no matter what. I want them to win the series against the Braves.

215. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Didn't we play the Cardinals this year?

216. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Beautiful pitch Drew….

217. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Yes, the Cardinals swept us in April.

218. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Nice change-up, Drew. Don't get too crazy with it, though, OK?

219. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

How is Arizona better than the Cardinals?

220. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Drew looked phenomenal that inning… Good series called by Solano… Some beautiful pitches by Drew…

221. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Like I said, Drew, pound that changeup in there.

222. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

DRUUUU!!!!

223. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

This would be a dandy time for Rendon's first dinger.

224. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

225. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Or even his second…..

226. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Rendon has a dinger, he hit a game winning one against the Indians.

227. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Rendon has one home run.

228. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Cold and frosty, please, DP…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

229. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Rendon's first dinger would be even better if it came against the Indians in a tie game.

230. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM

My mistake.How about No. 2.

231. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Dang. I even refreshed first. On the replay between innings, Goldschmidt didn't even know whether he had the ball–he looked twice into his mitt, like he couldn't believe it himself.

232. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Bet that delivery is a new one on AR… Nice try, Kid…

233. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

WODL. Wow still hanging on to game 5. Hahaha. Me too my brother. That really hurt.

234. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

We are the slowest team.

235. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Man, we've seen some impressive defense in this game.

236. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Why not Bernie to run here?

237. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Mostly I block out game five and focus on our being the first team ever to win an NLDS in 4 games on a walk-off homer.

238. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I still can't help but feel that if Storen had pitched better against the Cardinals in game five that we would have won that series. I know that is harsh, but I still feel that way.Or Gio. Or Jackson. Or Clippard. But yeah.

239. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Bernadina is already in the game, in left.

240. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Better yet what if we had Stras not shutdown. Sorry had to say it. Don't mean it just wanted to say it.

241. Secret wasian man - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Sorry sofa. Stopped to eat my dinner. I'll stop talking now. I'm stale

242. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Harper with a 2 run triple at Double-A Bowie.

243. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I know there was blame to go around but there is a psychological principle of being entitled that comes in the 9th. It could be worse. Watch game 6 of the 2011 World Series and imagine being a Rangers' fan. That was almost as sublime to me watching the overrated Nolan Ryan and the overrated George Bush's (he is now a painter in his spare time) hopes dashed twice. For now, that will have to suffice.

244. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I well remember Nolan Ryan's "Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit smoking" face.

245. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Did someone up here predict Krol to be a closer or stretch him to be a starter???

246. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Talk about a pitcher who had amazing stuff who never bothered to learn his craft and that is Nolan Ryan. He is far closer to a replacement pitcher than to a Walter Johnson or Roger Clemens. The one time he had his team slotted to go to the World Series, he started walking everybody and blew a big lead to the Phillies in game 7. He only had a short period of success and that was at the end when he lost some of his speed and had to try to compensate.

247. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Can Nolan Ryan with 7 no hitters, 383 SOs in 1973 possibly be overrated….maybe if you are a mets fan ๐Ÿ˜‰

248. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Krol's not comfortable in the stretch.

249. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Chien-Ming Wang getting shelled in Boston.

250. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Whew… Krol did the job though… Didnt have his best stuff tonight…Come on… Lets win this in a walk off fashion!

251. David Proctor - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM

First time Krol has faced some adversity and he responded well. Really like him.Last year, Ian Desmond hit a walk off home run against the D'Backs.He's up in the bottom of the 9th.Just saying.

252. Just wonderin' - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Krol distracted? Maybe upset about DOMA decision?

253. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Ryan's ERA+ was not impressive. He was exciting, even when he was walking Pete Rose and all those Phillies back in 1980, but he was closer to Edwin Jackson than he was to Sandy Koufax….

254. Drew - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

This would be a dandy time for Desmond's 14th dinger.

255. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

OK, as Jack Brickhouse used to say, "Any old kind of a run wins it!"GYFNG.

256. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Time for the Shark to get a walk-off!

257. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

When Jackson gets 7 no-hitters and 5000 strikeouts and avgs 6.6 hits/9 inning, I will still strongly disagreeSo even the Mets made a terrible trade It was a very long time ago…It didn't hurt them except in 73

258. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Ryan's best 3 seasons where when he was in his 40's. The media painted this as a positive. In fact, it was highly negative and indicative of a guy who squandered his gift by never bothering to figure out how to take things to the next level, from being Jerry Koosman, to being Tom Seaver or Walter Johnson. Ryan was an ass and the only thing he ever won was when he was Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman's errand boy.

259. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… Chien-Ming Wang getting shelled in Boston. June 27, 2013 7:52 PM 7 earned runs and didn't even finish the 2nd inning. That didn't take long.

260. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Longevity should count for something. Koufax was great for what, six years, maybe seven? Ryan pitched for over 25 years, and was good for most of them, dominating for about half. So there's that. FWIW, I remember him as a hard worker, took great care of himself.

261. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Not sure I agree with bringing in Soriano. I know the rule is if it's a tie game at home, bring your closer in, but Soriano has worked the last 2 nights and they've seen him a lot. Plus, Stammen is fresh.

262. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hey, the Mets got a great 3rd baseman for Nolan Ryan, who wasn't even the best pitcher on the Angels or the Astros most of those year, with Tanana and Scott out-pitching him. His reputation drops every year now that no one is glorifying him for pitching well in his 40's. Now the question is why weren't you better when you were 27?

263. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM

David, that's how you do it at home in either the 9th or 10th as there is no possibility of a save.

264. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Soriano, like most closers, likes to work a lot, and throws most every day in any event. I think we see Stammen next, though, in case this goes long.

265. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Jim Fregosi was just ok.No pitcher has ever thrown close to as many no hitters and Ks as Ryan. I don't care when you do it as long as you do it eventually.The angels of the 70s great pitch, not much hitting out there.

266. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

You are right, Sofa, except the concept of the replacement player has shown us that long career aren't as impressive as we used to think.Ryan was the K leader, yes.Guess what other MLB record he has?

267. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Leadoff walk. *sigh*

268. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Where's the HATE button for leadoff walks?

269. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Is it true the Mets manipulated their rotation to move Harvey from Colorado back to home tomorrow?

270. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I guess I shouldn't worry when Soriano is on, he always gets the job done. But I can't help it.

271. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can't speak to his reputation, but Ryan was an All Star (manager-selected, as a pitcher, of course), which was probably not a fluke, as he also got Cy Young and MVP votes regularly when he was in his late 20s.

272. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can't argue with you, WODL…we are in different universes regarding baseball.And comparing Seaver to Johnson…Did Seaver have the wins, longevity, shutouts, endurance….Seaver was good and smart but difficult to compare positively to Walter Johnson. Sandy K. took several years to achieve greatness asnd he was the best when he was the best but it couldn't last

273. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Gasp! Exhale.

274. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Walks?

275. Drew - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Wow. Rendon's haircut comes through again.

276. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I thought Goldy had a hit off of that bat. Whew

277. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

guess what other record, Hank Aaron has.

278. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Ghost: I don't think they fudged the rotation, but I did hear that Mr. Harvey didn't travel to Colorado — which strikes me as a reasonable approach.

279. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

You are right, Sofa, except the concept of the replacement player has shown us that long career aren't as impressive as we used to think.I think the concept of "pee in this cup, now" has probably done more to diminish the perceived value of longevity, but maybe that's just me. I don't know how impressed people used to be. I know I'm impressed by people who can play MLB baseball, the highest level there is. And then, get into the Hall of Fame … well, there's no Hall above that one, either.

280. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Yes, Walks, and 2nd in wild pitches. He was a decent pitcher but I doubt he was worth the distraction. He was closest to Sam McDowell overall, but McDowell was better.Comparing Nolan Ryan to Steve Carleton or Jim Palmer or Tom Seaver is like comparing Dominique Wilkins to Michael Jordan. At his best, he was his equal, but at his worst, Ryan actually sucked. He lacked proper temperament and in 1980, the one year he had a really good chance to win the Series (he was a marginal but useful player for the 1969 Mets) he had a .540 era and basically blew the series with the Phillies by himself.

281. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Total Bases?

282. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Can Mr. Walk-off do it again? I say YES!!!!

283. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

But Stammen warming, in case he doesn't.

284. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Zimmerman came so close twice.

285. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Missed it by that much…

286. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

If only Ryan had eaten his Wheaties….

287. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM

yes, you are right sudden sam mcdowell should take Nolan Ryan's place in the hall of fame….WODL, WTFbetter get this game in

288. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Nats aren't at no doubles and it cost the Nats.

289. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Stammen has to keep the runner stuck at 2nd.

290. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hank Aaron still holds the record for ASG appearances, IIRC.

291. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Check out McDowell's ERA+ and he was just as fast. Nolan Ryan was a carnival attraction. He never led any team to the pinnacle. He was never the best pitcher in baseball except maybe that bizarre season where he went 8-16 towards the end. He is so far down the list in terms of most analysts' rankings of pitchers that he can't even see Johnson, Young or Grove. But he was good at doing those aspirin commercials.

292. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

the plague for Sudden Sam McDowell in the WODL hall of fame:With a blazing fastball that approached 100 mph and a work ethic like none other, Nolan Ryan dominated hitters for an unparalleled 27 seasons on his way to 5,714 strikeouts, an all-time record. During four decades of prominence, he totaled 324 victories and a host of Major League records. Most notable of his milestones are a mystifying seven no-hitters and 12 one-hitters. The eight-time All-Star fanned a single-season record 383 batters in 1973, and his career strikeouts encompassed 1,176 different players.

293. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Please give me a DP here please….

294. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Sky has opened here in Knoxville to a huge storm causing my satellite signal to go out. Do the Dbacks still have a runner on 3rd or did they get him in?

295. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM

saw that coming, should have walked him!

296. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That hurts. Everyone has been shutdown all day and now this.

297. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Thankfully Heath Bell is coming on.

298. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Damn…. That hurt…Wonder if DJ will see that and start doing that….

299. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Hopefully Chase will be able to take over from his perch in the press box in Bowie… Got you down here, Mark.

300. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Jeesh, this is a Nats blog game thread.Who gives a rat's rectum about Nolan Ryan? Come on, Stamman. We can still pull this out.

301. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

But you missed all those walks, Jeff. He has way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way more walks than anybody in the long, long, long, long, long history of baseball. Walks are killers and they turned Ryan into a Hall of Fame carnival sideshow but not the serious sort of pitcher the Mets or Dodgers wanted. He hung out with the Angels and Astros and Rangers, all expansion bottom dwellers, although the Angels got good right after they got rid of him.Watch game 7 of the 1980 NLCS where Ryan walked Rose, and then he walked another guy and then he walked another and then he blows what appeared to be a sure NL title for the Astros, giving up 6 runs in 7 innings. Ryan was a choker who would have fit in perfectly on the 1986 Red Sox.

302. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Stammen has to feel like Crap…. Hopefully we can play some ball… Get 2 runs….

303. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

come on Davey, walk the lefty to load the bases…given his speed DP is doubtful anyway and then go after a guy who is 0-4 for the day who then struck out and then up comes Wil Nieves who Stammen K's…come on!!!

304. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

In the top of the 11th, Montero led off with a bomb of an automatic double to center, bouncing over the wall, too far back for even Span to get there. After Cody Ross bunted him to third, Stammen walked Jason Kubel, and Didi Gregorius laid down a great bunt up the first base line, scoring the run and beating it out for a hit. Stammen came back to strike out Pennington and pinch hitter Wil Nieves (who?), but the Nats are going to need one to tie, two to win, now.

305. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

In the words of Rapid Robert Feller who had 3 nohitters:No hitters are luck.

306. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Signal restored, at least for now. Guess I missed a well executed squeeze by AZ is that right?

307. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Gee, WODL, if I didn't know better I'd get the impression you don't much like the guy.

308. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We had all game to do something. We could have pinned a lose on their guy. 2 steps forward and 1 step back, dammit.

309. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

FIRE!

310. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

YOWZA, one of the light towers has a fire going inside it (birds nest? it's a big one). Stay tuned, this might affect things if the game keeps going.

311. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM

No, it's the Jim Fregosi blog…but seriously…missing the game over Nolan Ryan.A fire in the lights…Didn't see Roy Hobbs at the ballpark

312. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Sofa, thanks for the update. Wish it had been more favorable for the Nats.

313. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Knoxville, a very well executed bunt indeed, no chance for the defense at all.

314. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I don't like flashy players who are perceived to be way better than their underlying stats indicate. Every story about Nolan Ryan should read: Nolan Ryan, all time walks leader and 2nd in wild pitches, ….

315. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

pinch runner pls!

316. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Good hit Adam…. Come on Desi….

317. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Jim Fregosi was a great Italian American.

318. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Boy that hurts.

319. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

With one out, and Heath Bell in to close, LaRoche singled to center. Desmond hit what might have been a double play ball, but Hill bobbled it momentarily, Ian beat the relay by plenty. But Bernadina popped to short.Game, 3-2.

320. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Well… At least we won the series….

321. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

And in other news, Chik-Filet peach milkshakes are back…good for easing a tough loss…

322. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

bernie is horrid as a hitter…dammit, hate losses like this…dammit

323. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Can't be too upset about this loss. It was extremely well played on both sides. We were robbed several times defensively. Ryan came a few feet from walking off. Winning run scored on a squeeze. What can you do?

324. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Stras can't complain about the lack of support here, though. He had the lead and gave it right back. So many of these games are just coin flips and we all know it.

325. UnkyD - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Rats

326. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM

i am going for one of those shakes on sunday

327. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

guess I should be happy about winning 2 of 3, but I am really pissed at Werth's horrible at bat, Desi now in 3 of last 4 games choking when it counts late in the game. Shark is a just a joke of a batter and gives Nats zero chance to ever hit a tying or winning runOverall, they at least won the series… but, Nats really could have won this game..I can not get to mad at Stammen…

328. JaneB - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I agree with David P. It was well played. I wish we'd gained on the Braves but at least we didn't, um, stink up the joint on this loss.

329. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM

so after all this, back at 500…when will this team roll, if ever????/

330. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I expect Arizona to take care of business next series….

331. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

"Desi now in 3 of last 4 games choking when it counts late in the game"You do realize he hit a 2 run HR which was our only runs? And you do realize that he has more game winning RBI than anybody on the team, right? Of all the people to be upset at, Desi is the least of them.

332. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

David…my point is verse Rockies and even in the win verse AZ the first night, late in the game, Desi has not hit … I expect an All star to out the damn ball in play

333. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

What a heartbreaker, especially Zim's shot that was about 10 feet shy of a walk off.Oy…2/3 against the Dbacks ain't nuthin to sneeze at though.

334. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I am more upset at only scoring 2 runs, Werth's terrible at bat and just watching Shark hit is torture because you know he is an automatic out

335. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

DP, disagree, Davey should have walked the bases loaded in the 11th to keep the DP intact given the speed of the lefty kid (cant remember his name)…had he done that, next guy strikes out and the next one, wil nieves! k's too…see mine of 842pm…damn!

336. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Davey leaving the door open for Harper returning sooner since he's been playing so well in the minors.

337. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I was surprised the Nats weren't playing deeper in a tie game to the 1st batter of the inning. Can't give up extra bases with no out then you bring your outfielders in to normal depth once you get 1 out is what I believe is how many Managers play it from the 9th inning on in a tie game.

338. d'grviii 8 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

The team may not be on fire right now, but apparently the stadium is.

339. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

If Stras does not let the pitcher get on base, it is 2-1 Nats..overall, Stars pitched well enough to win

340. karlkolchak - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Hope for Strasburg? There is "hope" for Strasburg if the offense starts scoring runs for him. He gave up the same number of runs in the same numer of innings as Z-nn did yesterday. What do you WANT from the guy?

341. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM

"Krol distracted? Maybe upset about DOMA decision?"Zing!!!

342. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM

mick, no doubt. That's BABIP by the pitcher. If Span would hit it that hard on grounders he would get more hits.

343. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

"First time Krol has faced some adversity and he responded well. Really like him."Didn't he pitch in the 8th or 9th in Philly the night Ian hit the 11th inning grand slam?

344. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I understand AZ starting pitcher holding us to 2 runs, I get that…what I don't get is a depleted bull pen shutting us out in our parklook, we MUST beat Mets 2 of 3…we have to win every series among the next 13 games…remember, when this started we had 17 of next 20 at home…it is now 10 of 13 at home and Nats stuck at 500.

345. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Yes he did, Eric. I meant his own self-inflicted adversity. He gave up a couple hits and looked to struggle a little more than usual. Still had a good inning.

346. mick - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ghost…agreed

347. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Gotcha DP. Although, I think he started off badly in Philly, too.In any case, he's definitely been impressive overall.

348. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Harper going for a cycle tonight for Double-A Harrisburg.

349. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM

350. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

351. DJB - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Very tough loss, with some bad luck. Big problem is lack of power. I don't think there is a 30 home run guy on the team. I also don't think Zimm can be considered a power hitter anymore, even though his poor batting average would suggest he should be one. How many has he been able to drive out of Nats park? It's sad to see someone with such potential have a career decline at his age due to injuries. This should be a lesson to Bryce.

352. DJB - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That should have been 30 home run guy in the lineup. LaRoche is arguably one in some years.

353. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

paul brandt said… If I see Span ground out to 1b one more time, i will puke, he is so predictable its scary…drop him to 7 or 8 in the line-up please. He stays leadoff for now but has to get better contact. If Werth was healthier then maybe you try something out.

354. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

To be fair, Span was absolutely robbed once. If that ball gets past Goldschmidt, it may go into the corner and score Kobernus.

355. Eric - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Isn't Desi basically on pace for 30? And, Harper for even more?

356. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Eric said… Why the hell did they just cut Stras short? That was actually a pretty good interview. June 27, 2013 9:15 PM Agreed. That was the best Stras interview I can remember. He was engaged and informative.

357. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Desi is a great leader. He doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

358. paul brandt - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

ghost, i hear ya but how much longer can this continue? shoot, put rendon there…prefer werth but understand he is not 100%.

359. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Dan Kolko backing up what I said about Davey very much leaving the door open for an early Harper return.Dan Kolko โ€@masnKolko 21sI wouldn't be shocked if we see Harper in NY this weekend. Davey left the door open. "I'll take him whenever he's ready."

360. David Proctor - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Adam Kilgore โ€@AdamKilgoreWP 27sWhen he heard reports on Harper, Davey says, "I'd like to have him in there. He can't be hurting too bad."

361. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM