Jun 27, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann allowed two early runs and earned his NL-leading 11th win.
Game in a nutshell: Some early offensive fireworks by each team probably surprised everyone in attendance, but pitching quickly took over after that. Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs in the top of the first, then put up six consecutive zeroes in his latest dominant start at home. The Nationals chipped away at Wade Miley, getting a run in the first on Ryan Zimmerman's RBI double, a run in the fourth on Tyler Moore's solo homer and the go-ahead run in the fifth when Denard Span and Anthony Rendon singled and Span scored on Zimmerman's double-play grounder. Tyler Clippard tossed a scoreless eighth and Rafael Soriano pitched the ninth to earn his 21st save, give Zimmermann his 11th win and get the Nationals back over the .500 mark, with a chance to sweep the series tomorrow afternoon.
Hitting highlight: He's impressed nearly every game he's played over the last three weeks, but Rendon really stood out in this one. The rookie second baseman had hits in his first three at-bats, a pair of singles to center field and a double to right. He continues to hitRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return