Jun 27, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann allowed two early runs and earned his NL-leading 11th win.
Game in a nutshell: Some early offensive fireworks by each team probably surprised everyone in attendance, but pitching quickly took over after that. Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs in the top of the first, then put up six consecutive zeroes in his latest dominant start at home. The Nationals chipped away at Wade Miley, getting a run in the first on Ryan Zimmerman's RBI double, a run in the fourth on Tyler Moore's solo homer and the go-ahead run in the fifth when Denard Span and Anthony Rendon singled and Span scored on Zimmerman's double-play grounder. Tyler Clippard tossed a scoreless eighth and Rafael Soriano pitched the ninth to earn his 21st save, give Zimmermann his 11th win and get the Nationals back over the .500 mark, with a chance to sweep the series tomorrow afternoon.
Hitting highlight: He's impressed nearly every game he's played over the last three weeks, but Rendon really stood out in this one. The rookie second baseman had hits in his first three at-bats, a pair of singles to center field and a double to right. He continues to hitRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge