Jun 27, 2013, 4:16 AM EST
Anthony Rendon has had the uncanny ability to hit a baseball where they ain’t since the moment he first picked up a bat as a child in Houston. So why would the fact he’s now trying to perform that same task in a slightly larger venue faze the Nationals rookie one iota?
“The game hasn’t changed since I was a little kid,” Rendon said. “The strike zone, the plate’s the same size. The bases probably got a little longer, but that’s pretty much it.”
Calm, cool and collected, Rendon couldn’t appear to be any more comfortable than he is these days in the big leagues. Since he returned from the minors three weeks ago, he’s done nothing but notch hits. And more hits. And even more hits.
He was back at it again Wednesday night, recording hits in each of his first three at-bats and then nearly homering in his final plate appearance, pacing the Nationals’ lineup during a 3-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB