Jun 27, 2013, 4:16 AM EDT
Anthony Rendon has had the uncanny ability to hit a baseball where they ain’t since the moment he first picked up a bat as a child in Houston. So why would the fact he’s now trying to perform that same task in a slightly larger venue faze the Nationals rookie one iota?
“The game hasn’t changed since I was a little kid,” Rendon said. “The strike zone, the plate’s the same size. The bases probably got a little longer, but that’s pretty much it.”
Calm, cool and collected, Rendon couldn’t appear to be any more comfortable than he is these days in the big leagues. Since he returned from the minors three weeks ago, he’s done nothing but notch hits. And more hits. And even more hits.
He was back at it again Wednesday night, recording hits in each of his first three at-bats and then nearly homering in his final plate appearance, pacing the Nationals’ lineup during a 3-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1