Jun 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
|Photo via milb.com|
Harrisburg pitcher Taylor Jordan could be on his way to the majors very soon as Nationals manager Davey Johnson and others in the organization have sent strong signals that the 24-year-old will take Dan Haren’s spot in the rotation this weekend in New York.
While Jordan was not permitted to speak with the media about his potential call-up, I caught up with several of his coaches and one of his teammates on Thursday to talk about what to expect from the young right-hander if he does indeed start against the Mets.
Harrisburg pitching coach Paul Menhart gave a breakdown of Jordan’s repertoire:
“He can get it up to 95, he’s got a sinker that he can throw, and he can spot it pretty well. He commands the fastball fairly well. He’s got a changeup that has a little split action, it can drop on occasion straight down. And a slider that’s a serviceable pitch.”
Menhart says Jordan is ready for the big leagues and has the mindset to take the challenge head-on:
“If he goes, I think he’ll perform similar to the way he’s done here. I don’t think the level is going to dictate his effort or his angst. He’s the kind of kid that has no pulse when he pitches. He’s that kind of special where he does have the ability to go pitch to pitch and focus on that particular pitch at that one time. Just because it’s the big leagues or wherever, I don’t think it really matters for this kid.”
Ask anyone who has seen Jordan pitch and his unusual delivery is often cited as a big part of his game. Jordan comes over the top with his arm and does a good job hiding the ball.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres