Jun 28, 2013, 1:14 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span leaps at the wall to snag Jason Kubel's second-inning drive.
Game in a nutshell: A premier pitching matchup between Stephen Strasburg and Patrick Corbin absolutely lived up to the billing. The two young aces nearly posted identical pitching lines, each allowing only a two-run homer over seven strong innings. Ian Desmond went deep in the fourth to give the Nationals the lead, but Aaron Hill answered with the game-tying blast in the sixth. That left this game in the hands of both bullpens. Drew Storen turned in his most dominant performance of the season, striking out the side in the eighth. Ian Krol escaped a self-made jam in the ninth, continuing his scoreless streak of nine appearances to begin his big-league career and helping move this game into extra innings. In the eleventh, the D'backs took the lead on a Didi Gregorius bunt single to bring home A.J. Pollock. It would prove to be the go-ahead run as Heath Bell earned his 14th save of the season.
Hitting lowlight: After Desmond's home run in the bottom of the fourth, the Nationals managed five singles and a walk, but failed to score another run. They finished the day with 11 strikeouts as aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill