Jun 29, 2013, 4:44 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
NEW YORK — Davey Johnson called it “our biggest win of the year,” a sentiment shared by others inside the Nationals clubhouse.
Perhaps more significant, more than one player noted the familiar feeling that accompanied Friday night’s 6-4, come-from-behind victory over the Mets, one that included several late clutch hits and then a shutdown performance from the bullpen.
“That’s stuff we did last year,” reliever Drew Storen said. “That’s what’s fun about it. That’s exciting. Especially on the road here, it’s a big win for us.”
Indeed, this was the kind of victory that was commonplace in 2012 but has for some reason eluded the Nationals in 2013, perhaps owing to their maddeningly inept offensive numbers when a game is on the line. Entering Friday, this team was hitting a collective .203 against opposing relievers, .192 in “late-and-close” situations and a scant .151 with a .199 on-base percentage in the ninth inning.
So imagine how the visiting dugout at Citi Field felt after the Nationals went 5-for-10 with four doubles and a walk in the eighth and ninth innings against five members of Terry Collins’ New York bullpen, turning a 4-1 deficit into a 6-4 victory that catapulted this club back over the .500 mark.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent