Game 80: Nats at Mets

Jun 29, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

NEW YORK — Hello again from Citi Field, where the Nationals look to make it two in a row against the Mets this afternoon, sending Taylor Jordan to the mound for his big-league debut.

Jordan kind of burst on the scene out of nowhere. He wasn't in big-league camp this spring. He opened the season at Class A Potomac, got bumped up to Class AA Harrisburg and dominated (7-0, 0.83 ERA). The 24-year-old actually grew up near Viera, Fla., pitching at Brevard Community College before the Nats made him their 9th-round pick in the 2009 draft. He had Tommy John surgery in 2011 but has fully recovered. And now he's in the Big Apple, making his major-league debut for a team trying to claw its way back into a pennant race.

Given the situation, Davey Johnson is trying to take as much pressure off Jordan as he can. Kurt Suzuki is starting a day game after a night game, providing veteran influence behind the plate. Johnson didn't say much to the right-hander when they met this morning; he just wants the kid to go out there and pitch, not thinking too much about who he's facing.

It's always fun watching somebody make their debut, and today should be no different. So check back here for updates along the way. And if you missed the news earlier about Ross Detwiler's stiff back, here's the full story about the left-hander

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Sam - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Greetings, from CitiField.

2. natsfan1a - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Go, New Guy! Go, NATS!!

3. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Just back from gym, where Sportscenter — for once — included significant baseball coverage. Some strange games yesterday, not least John Lannan's. And at least two position players getting to pitch. Here's hoping last night's game demoralized the Mets. GYFNG!

4. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

No sense taking fastballs on this guy; swing the bat.

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Desi is 4th in the Majors in shortstop OPS only behind Tulo, Segura and Peralta and 6th in Runs Created with 45.5.Everth Cabrera is certainly in the mix. Will be interesting if Tulo is available for the All Star game as Tulo and Segura are the #1 and #2 in the NL and probably all of the Majors.http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

LaRoche smoked that ball.

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I am folliwing on computer would zim had scored if ball stayed in play?

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I am folliwing on computer would zim had scored if ball stayed in play?

9. paul brandt - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

MNF, yes, easily.

10. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Agreed. Standing up.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Ground rule double ends up with a taketh of the run after the Werth K.

12. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Werth is such a joke…all that money for so little production…so infuriating. He is seriously not worth 1/10 of that money.

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I figired with 2 outs.

14. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Unlucky break for LaRoche.Glad they're making Gee work.Let's go Taylor!

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Taylor Jordan has Beast Mode's old number. I hope he pitches like a Beast.

16. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

We were robbed of a run there because the Mets had some sort of rubberized temporary sign up in the outfield. Anywhere else in the outfield and we score a run there. So no whining about your luck today, Mets, and why don't you maintain your crappy field.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

OK, the Taylor Jordan era starts with a big first out in a tough 3-2 spot.

18. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM

For those listening to the game, the momentum of the ball would have clearly made the ball bounce back into the field of play on any solid wall surface, which is what most of Citi Field has. Unfortunately, there was some sort of temporary ad made of a rubbery material that absorbed the ball's energy and allowed it to gently fall over the fence.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Come on Suzuki. You had Wright set up for the 3-2 changeup.

20. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

This Byrd guy was a real find for the Mets. Why can't we find guys like that. He is making a tenth of what Span makes.

21. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That's the way the ball bounces.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM

WODL, the Nats had Byrd before. I have my own theories on Byrd's moderate new success but I will keep that to myself.

23. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It's 2-2 and he hasn't thrown a pitch out of the strike zone yet.All's well that ends well.

24. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I was joking because his production has been so much better than the puzzling Span. Span's triple production has been great, the best of his career, and yet at the same time, his over all OPS+ is the worst of his career.Span's home/away stats are night and day. He has been good at home and god awful on the road. Hopefully, last night was a start to the end of his terrible road play.

25. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Marlon did bulk up after he left here. I always liked the guy.

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

A very similar ground rule double robbed the Yankees of their potential fourth victory against the Sox in 2004. The luck factor in baseball is far, far higher than in football, soccer or basketball….

27. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Way to go, kid.It looked like blue was squeezing Jordan on that funky change.It will be interesting to see Jordan's second inning now that he's shaken some of the jitters.

28. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

So what would be the All-Ex-Nats team? And can we can use former Expos?

29. Scott Margenau - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I need a Xanax watching Taylor. Sheesh. Guys shaking

30. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Byrd never saw a ball off the bat that he didn't come in for when he was playing for us. So many balls went over his head that were playable. Then he came up positive for banned substances last year.

31. NatsLady - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

LOL, Dillon Gee with a Span somersault…

32. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM

How about a Tommy Milone moment.

33. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM

34. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I hope Taylor Jordan gets another start. I'm at a campground in Winchester, VA and am listening on the radio. I really wanted to see what that funky delivery looks like. How does he look to those of you that can see?

35. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Sofa, until 1931 it was a home run!

36. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM

For the non-Byrd-watchers out here: Byrd suspended 50 games for tamoxifen use

37. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Right you are, Joe! Good point.

38. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Sonny: He looked a little high in the zone in the first, but has a nice, funky motion and a good, dipping change.He looked nervous in the first. He looks calmer as he begins the second.

39. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Taylor was squeezed by the ump on pitches in the bottom of the zone in the first.

40. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That would be easy with the Expos since they kept getting rid of excellent talent. The Nats have had pretty good luck with the guys they let go like Soriano and Dunn and those guys we got from Cincy. Nyjer? Nah. I can't argue with the Gio trade. Maybe the Willingham one. He could help us. Probably the Span trade because whoever we gave up is looking like too much but I guess we can reserve judgment on that until the end of his contract or service here.

41. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM

42. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Out my way, Sonny. I guess you are listening on 820 AM? 106.7 FM sort of comes in also if you fuss with the antenna. We sure could use some reliable Nats' affiliates, especially at night, in the Harper's Ferry/Western Loudoun area

43. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The change is impressive. If he can spot the fastball a bit better, he won't get behind as many hitters.Jordan zips through three batters in the second.Maybe the Kid's getting his sea legs.

44. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Thanks, Drew.

45. Whack-a-Mule - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Mule agrees that LaRoche and the Nats suffered some ill-luck when his ball went out of play. Good on radio man Charlie Slowes, however, who knew enough to call it an "automatic double".Many broadcasters and writers would have called it a "ground-rule double", which is of course incorrect; a "ground-rule double" is caused by a peculiarity of a particular field, while a ball which clears the fence on the bounce is a double in every park (hence "automatic").The one "ground-rule double" at Nats Park occurs when a batted ball lands fair in left field and caroms foul, striking the wall to the left (foul) side of the foul pole but to the right of the (peculiar) vertical yellow stripe, the ball then returning to the field of play. The ball is declared dead and the batter held at 2nd base (any other runner advancing 2 bases).

46. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Sure thing, Sonny.

47. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Ground rule double should be changed to allow the runners to advance two bases at a minimum, plus one extra base if in the umpire's discretion the runner would have scored easily.

48. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I wonder if there even are any ground rule doubles anywhere, using the more technically correct definition. I remember that if you hit the roof of the Astrodome, you could end up with just a single. Is there a rule covering balls caught in Ivy?

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sofa, after Byrd was tested positive he said that he was an idiot for getting caught.Well, it's hard to argue with that. Whether he was an idiot for being a position to make it a question will probably remain debatable, and debated.

50. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Thanks, FP!

51. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Whack:Thanks for the ground-rule double explanation.I'd never heard of that distinction.

52. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

The umpires have to make judgements on where runners would be, all the time; it does seem like the "ground-rule" double rule is just making it a bit easier on them.

53. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

had to listen to last night's game in car, wish could have joined you all in celebration!

54. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

why couldn't that ball have stayed in on Zim's hit? Taylor looks OK

55. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Those statements, like Byrd's, are legally defensible. If he hadn't used, like an idiot, he wouldn't have tested positive. It is a bit like saying "everybody on the Nats did not get a hit" in a game where we win 11-0. You know what the person means, you think, but the implicit logic is different.

56. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Funny that everybody calls it a "ground rule double," since it's not a ground rule, i.e., a park-specific rule, like hitting the overhead speakers in Tampa. It's an automatic double, by rule. June 29, 2013 1:39 PM Hey!! What am I, the Invisible Man here??? grumblegrumblegrumble

57. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM

WODL, I'm listening on 106.7 FM. It's coming in great today. Last night it mostly came in good, but there were occassional fade out. I'm at the Candy Hill camp groung on the west side of Winchester. I'll try to remember 820 AM in case 106.7 fades out. Thanks for the tip.

58. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM

what is is, lol

59. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM

*camp ground* sheesh, my typing.

60. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Back in the day (way back) a ball that bounced over the fence was a home run. Now it's an automatic doyble, like tha man said.

61. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Mick, LaRoche's ball hit the padded top of the wall with a lot of topspin, and because it was a soft padding, the ball sunk into it, which changed the rebound angle enough to make it carry out.

62. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM

63. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I really like great defense in the outfield, where Span is just super. I really expect his hitting/OBP to improve.

64. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

good point sofa

65. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

OK, kid, you can relax and just pitch, now.

66. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM

where is Ohlendorf…just wondering why he is not getting another shot?

67. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Joe…if Ramos can come back with Bryce…I feel the offense could score 4-5 a game, that is a big if

68. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Sorry, Sofa.I hadn't seen your comment on ground rule doubles.Good on you. The Kid's through three. He'll face the heart of the order again in the fourth.

69. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

820 AM is WFED, the WTOP repeater out of Frederick. The only hitch with it is that they have to sign off at sunset. Frederick has a fairly strong AM station on 930 but they carry neither Nats nor O's games because their schedule is filled with rightwing programming that can be heard umpteen other places on the Clea rChannel AM dial at night. So much for the license requirements of serving the local community.There used to be a Nats affiliate out of Brunswick on 1540 but that station seems to fade in and out of existence and is currently silent. It too had to sign off at sunset.

70. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said…Joe, I guess we're just talking to ourselves in here. Or they are scrolling past both of us.; )June 29, 2013 2:01 PM///////—–///////// Too funny, Sofa.

71. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Is there a rule covering balls caught in Ivy? Wrigley ground rules state that if the ball gets stuck in the vines, Andre Dawson has to throw it back. If he doesn't, it's a ground-rule double.

72. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Charlie and Dave are awesome to listen to.. I love FP and Bobby, but I just like Charlie and Dave a lot better, and there is only so much of FP one can handle

73. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

where is Ohlendorf…just wondering why he is not getting another shot?Mick, he's in the bullpen. Davey would rather have a veteran there, and a rookie starting.

74. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Charlie and Dave's call of Werth's epic home run was life changing….

75. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said…Is there a rule covering balls caught in Ivy? I think there was an old Flinstones episode where Fred hit the ball into the wall and scored…I guess that does not count in MLBhee hee

76. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Mother

77. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

sofa…thanks for Ohlendorf updateway to go shark…damn wall robbed us again

78. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Neil Diamond will sing his new song after the third inning? What, Stephen Foster was busy?

79. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Charley says it was a homer

80. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Looks like I have to settle with 106.7 for night games. Thanks WODL.

81. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

They should review that.

82. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…Charlie and Dave's call of Werth's epic home run was life changing..I listen once a week to it!

83. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

this is like the Flinstones…the wall jumped up and got it….

84. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Right off, I thought it was out. Close as that, it should be looked at.

85. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Nah, it was orange. We deserve better.

86. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Wall screws us again, huh?

87. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM

if the ball hits over canseco's coconut and over the wall, it is a homerun….rule number 4.99

88. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Collins, huh

89. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

For those not watching, the TV replays were inconclusive, but seemed to show it about two inches short of a home run, so they probably would not have reversed it, but hey, it's Angel Hernandez, you never know.

90. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The radio broadcast is several seconds ahead of the television broadcast but at least we scored.

91. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Great hit, Zuke. Bonehead play getting thrown out.

92. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

great hit by Suzuki…base running, not so good

93. JaneB - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hurrah! Let's win this game for Taylor!

94. mick - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Nats should score 4-5 this game…we will see

95. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Until about 1930, if a runner crossed home plate before the third out was recorded at first base, the run counted. I assume they changed the rule because umps were having to make too many judgment calls but the rule change actually makes less sense to me than the original rule.

96. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

please clarify, WODL, you are a mets fan….I grew up hating you guys, since I was the wacky Yanks fan in the shadow of Shea as a kid beginning in the early 70's…Every been to the Bronx on a double header bat dat…pretty scary

97. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Yeaaaahhh … hard-hit, but E-5.

98. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I am only a fan of the 69-73 Mets, and only because I found that team to be incredible overachievers but I actually despised them at the time because they knocked out my beloved Reds in 1973. I still was rooting against them in 1986 when they played the Red Sox and I always root for the NL, or almost always.I did see one game in Shea and it was cold and miserable and I couldn't tell what park I was in. It looked just like Fulton County Stadium from inside.

99. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

ever see Celerino Sanchez at 3rd on bat day in the bronx…also pretty scary

100. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Are we grading Zimmerman on a curve at 3rd?

101. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I don't know the book on these hitters, and all I know about Jordan's stuff is what I've seen here, but I am *not* getting some of the pitch selection here.

102. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Darn error rattles the kid.

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Is taylor frustrated due to error, I see walk followed error.

104. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Shoot!

105. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The ball to Zim was hit fairly hard, but he was in position, and it scooted on the last two bounces and hit him in the ankle. I think that's an error.

106. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

You have to stay ahead in the count.

107. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I am guessing it's more First Day nerves than rattled by the error. Just my impression.

108. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Yeah Shea Stadium was a dump but it was our dump…usually cold by Flushing bay in the spring. well, the Reds did do pretty well in 75-76…one of the greatest team ever.I like CitiField…best pizza in the majors. and the marker where old Shea was is in the adjoining parking lot.

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Did taylor sulk like Stras did earlier and follow up with a walk making the error even worse?

110. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Not to tell you I told you so but FP and Bob just commented on how shallow RZim was playing to a cleanup hitter. This is getting to be common knowledge around MLB that RZim has got something going wrong at 3B and is adjusting his position to try and coverup a loss of step and his throwing inaccuracy. Additionally, the flyout by RZim the other night to Arizona in prior years would have been an HR. Start watching a little dispassionately and you will notice.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Thanks needs to relax and do the job.

112. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Thanks for the extra tid bits you folks that are watching are adding here for those of us that can only listen.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Uh, that's an error in Little League.

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

MNF, I did not get that impression. Maybe it's just sinking in, where he is.

115. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I went to an April game back in 1992 wearing my LL beans and no socks. Coldest I have ever been. I had to leave in the 7th and I can't even remember who they were playing. I plan to see the Nats in Queens at some point.

116. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Why was Zimmerman in so far? Same thing as last night. What is going on with him?

117. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Dang on the tying run!

118. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Not to tell you I told you so but FP and Bob just commented on how shallow RZim was playing to a cleanup hitter. Fair enough. OTOH, it *was* an error.

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Zimmerman is a shell of himself in the field. I don't understand it.

120. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If RZim had been playing back where he SB he might have had a better chance.

121. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

boy he is nervous…tought to come up from aa

122. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I hope to see the Nets in Brooklyn

123. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Ryan is pushing me to check some advanced fielding metrics but my eyes tell me that he is becoming a liability in the field.

124. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

That cement mixer was the first bad pitch that hurt.Now a dang duck snort falls in.C'mon Taylor. Moxie time

125. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This whole inning belongs to Zimmerman.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Walk following error set up the Mets to tie.Errors are bad walking people after an error is worse.

127. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I understand it. He is still hurting from the surgery. The positioning is being mentioned all over MLB and has been going on for a couple of weeks.

128. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

We may see Ohlendorf yet. Or Stammen.

129. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

This guy is still about 14.56 times better than Dan Haren.

130. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Check RZR and OOZ. He is now among the worst rated in baseball.

131. paul brandt - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

man, that was ball 3, thanks gee

132. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

THANK YOU!

133. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

134. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Walks are quite often bad. Forgive me for cutting a rookie a break.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Game days say single on pop up to short was a low slifht pop up in the hole. Hard to imagine a hit any other way.

136. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Good work, kid. Defense put you in a hole, Gee helped get you out. The breaks even out.

137. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Tremendous job getting out of the jam.Taylor's fallen behind way too many hitters, hehasn't allowed any earned runs.

138. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

MMM, Nachos….

139. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

MNF, it was right between Shark, Span, and Desmond. Desmond might have gotten closest, but it was a popup with eyes.

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I give the Rookie a break. 1 run there with no earned. Welcome to The Nats. Throws a ton of extra pitches thanks to the error.

141. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Get a hit

142. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Good job! Bat him leadoff!

143. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Well alright Taylor "Houdini" Jordan. Now he gets a hit as I write this.

144. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

WODL, you are the Summoner today.

145. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Was it unearned? Sometimes they do that thing where they launder erroneous runners into earned ones based on what happens after….

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

All are correct this is much better than Haren.

147. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Dang, that bunt hit a clump of dirt on the baseline or it would have stayed fair for sure.

148. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Kid's gonna need a bigger mantel.

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

ESPN.com has it as unearned, so good….

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Unearned

151. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

jeez…would love to see a walk by Span someday

152. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Maybe they told him not to slide….Do pitchers bat in the Nats' minors?

153. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Span is either a triple or nothing. Very strange season's offensive stats. He is way ahead of his previous highs for triples and way below in everything else….

154. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Nats laughing about Jordan's base running error in a 1 – 1 game?

155. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

WODL, no, they use a DH.

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Unearned

157. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

WODL, Jordan has 10 plate appearances at Harrisburg this season, 2 hits. But nothing before that since 2009.

158. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I guess that is because the leagues are mixed between NL and AL minor league teams.Span has to make that catch.

159. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Nats just unlucky on this BABIP. Mets have been lucky.

160. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, Zimm, what have you done for us lately? Oh, yeah , well other then the 3 RBI double last night?

161. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

NL teams probably need to insist that the pitchers hit regardless. It isn't like anyone cares who wins the AA titles, except for all those brokenhearted kids who hate it when their favorites are called up.

162. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Ryan would be a good DH if he had a bit more power.

163. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Span was playing deep. That was a legit single.

164. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM

here comes Mr. Jordan in a park playing near you soonhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033712/

165. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Agreed, hit all the way. Zimm playing deeper, FWIW…

166. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

With Span's production, he simply cannot let anything fall in centerfield anywhere. Otherwise, his defense will not offset his offensive deficiencies.

167. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ok, that was ugly.

168. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

oh my….bad karma for zimm today

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Wonder what Gee's ERA is against the rest of the league?This is 3rd game against us and excellent against us.4.65 overall.

170. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

… which doesn't seem to help.Dang, the kid probably had better D behind him at AA.

171. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Pete Rose was a better 3rd baseman than Zimmerman.

172. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

nats playing like the mets right now

173. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

C'mon!Zim's second unearned run!

174. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

He plays so far in because he can't make the throw anymore. Sigh.

175. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Man, our defense went south. What a horrible thing to do to our young pitcher.

176. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

With Span's production, he simply cannot let anything fall in centerfield anywhere. 'At which point the problem is his hitting, not his glove. There are balls nobody catches.

177. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

What is wrong with RZim today. Routine grounder.

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Gee 3rd game against all pitched well.Overall 4.65 ERA The rest of league must be over 6 against him.

179. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

maybe the too far in theorists are right

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

What happened to ,Zim this time?

181. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Just when I think we have turned the corner

182. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Nats and Mets are both stuck with big contracts at 3rd.

183. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Dang. Another dink, and now he's done. Welcome to the bigs, kid. Baseball isn't fair.

184. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Why does he yank Jordan but leave Haren in until the bloody end?

185. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Three errors and two cheap hits and they pull the kid.This just stinks.

186. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Keith Hernandez is killing zim for not starting lower given how close in he is playing.

187. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Zim was further back on that one. Another Ponce de Leon error.

188. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

this kid showed me a lot…How he was able to focus with all the crap going on around him…good outing.Can't we get a winning streak…let's go nats

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I'm pissed. Ryan singlehandedly ruined this kids debut with the 2 fielding errors. Errors happen but these were routine plays.

190. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Well, sounds like Taylor gave us a much better outing than Haren was giving us. I do hope he gets another start soon.

191. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Zimmerman has been horrible all year at 3rd. It is not just the throwing. Apparently, he can't dive for balls anymore either. Unfortunately, when you play way in, you need to be able to dive or the balls go rocketing past….

192. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I agree, Sofa. This just sucks for Taylor Jordon. He pitched well enough that this should be a shutout at this point.Let's hold 'em here,Craig.

193. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Johnson with the early hook for no good reason.

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Zimmerman better forgo shaving the kid's head and buy him dinner….

195. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

He looks unhappy on the bench, which is understandable, but this was SO not his fault, and his manager and GM will remember that. And maybe they'll come back. They sure owe him to get off the hook.

196. Knoxville Nat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

RZ should apologize to the kid after the game. WODL, David Wright is a better fielder than Zimmerman, not sure why you think the Mets are "stuck" with his contract.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thecsecret is not the hit the ball to the people arent fielding.Bob Feller once said a smart pitcher has 27 k per 9 innings, and most of us really stupid.

198. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I feel bad for Jordan. He did his job today. The defense really let him down. Do we play to the opponent's level? Against the DBacks, we looked brilliant defensively. Today, we look like the Astros.

199. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Sure, NOW they catch it.

200. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I guess the Mets need to lead by 4 to 1 for us to come back.

201. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

if he keeps pitching like this, he'll have better memoriesRendon showing how its done

202. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I know Zimm made a big hit last night but it is getting really hard to like the guy anymore. I feel that he has been dishonest about his playing condition ever since last season's end. It is time to put up or shut up. His fielding is terrible and his hitting is mediocre at best compared to what he is earning.

203. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Joe Seamhead,I love RZim too, but when you look at the #'s and what he is doing fielding wise you have to go Uh Oh. Shoulder injuries are a "b*tch. You have gotten to see it the last two nights and most of this year. He has become a poor fielding singles/doubles hitting 3B.For several years he was all we had and his home in the Fathers Day game against the Yankees was one of my all time baseball highlights. But the numbers aren't lying. Something is wrong.

204. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Hernandez is now isolating zim and talking about how you have to start with your glove practically on the ground when you play in. Says its just a matter of fundamentals.

205. pk24 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Now the defense picks up…. after Davy has already given the kid the hook. Hope he gets another start.

206. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

The one's basically responsible for win last night are the same ones responsible for this deficir.Of course Jordan needs to learn to work around the errors.

207. pk24 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

208. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Well, Zim has done a lot for the franchise, but I mentioned in here a while ago that it looked like we were entering the "past a diving Zimmerman" era, which observation was not a universally welcomed.

209. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Terrible errors to make. Bottom line is ( minus last nights ) is that this team can't hit. Period. 3 runs is nothing. But when you can't score every run the other team score is multiplied by 10.

210. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

ok, zimm, make up for it in youor next abs

211. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Maybe we're seeing why Rizzo was reluctant to move Rendon to 2b.

212. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

And now we are to the dreaded 200+ posts segment of this game. It is hard to believe that blog technology has improved so little over the years so that this blog cannot properly refresh after posts but instead insists on pushing us back to page one.

213. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Zimmerman needs to score 3 times, not get on base 3 times to make up for his pathetic performance in the field today, and last night as well, but I will give him credit for redeeming himself for his poor fielding in that game.

214. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Agreed WODL, it's extremely annoying.

215. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Final line 3 runs and 1 earned with a bunch of doink hits which tells you weak contact caused by deception. Very nice job.

216. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

WODL, the workaround is to open another tab to the first page, post from there, and refresh the current page.

217. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hey, we are lucky when he dives. At least it looks like he is trying. Mostly now he just watches them go by or bounce off his chest like Superman.

218. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't call that a particularly good outing by Jordan. He absolutely should get a pass given its his first start ever, but he was pretty wild (threw more balls than strikes) and couldn't strike anyone out (only K was the opposing pitcher). That's not a good formula for success. The defense was poor behind him, but that's going to happen from time to time when you let the other team put the ball in play almost every at bat. He got some good luck early in the game on some pretty well hit balls right at Bernadina and Werth so its not like all his luck was bad. If he wasn't a rookie, and the Nats were bringing up a veteran for a spot start like that, I think the gushing in the booth wouldn't have been there and we all would have thought it was okay at best.

219. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Wright wasn't close to the bag when he caught the ball.

220. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Can we get to the Mets bullpen already?

221. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Laroche with the killer double play. This team is just lifeless.

222. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

not with these DPs, DP

223. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

It wasn't a FANTASTIC start, but I thought it was good enough. The defense still let him down.

224. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

OK. Thanks Sofa. If this works, I will sit on you sometime.

225. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

What is with the double plays?

226. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Mark writes Obviously he wasn't helped by his defense, but he also has some room for improvement. He really didn't miss many bats, and that in turn put pressure on the defense to make every play.I don't understand this. If his pitching coach says "strikeouts are BS" and there weren't a lot of web-gem level plays required behind him, where's the problem? It's boring if you don't get to catch anything.

227. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I find it funny that people are saying the team is lifeless the day after a big come from behind win. This team has come from behind to win 8 times this month. They're not lifeless. It's just been a bad, sloppy game so far, but those happen.

228. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

OK. Thanks Sofa. If this works, I will sit on you sometime.I BEG YOUR PARDON??

229. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Point taken Amir and well reasoned, usually.But the bar here is pretty low. Anyone who can give up fewer than 4.5 runs in 5 innings or fewer than 2 homers per start is an upgrade over Mr. Haren, who btw, doesn't like the DL because he doesn't feel like one of the guys….

230. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Amr:You make some fair points. Jordan got behind too many hitters, which elevated his pitch count.He needs to spot his fastball, but if we factor in the nerves and faulty defense, I think it's a creditable debut that merits more outings.

231. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wow they're taking out Dillon Gee. The Mets might be the most poorly managed team we've seen this year.

232. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

To follow up on my last comment, pitching to contact isn't what's putting pressure on the defense. Scoring one run all day is what does that.

233. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Just because his pitching coach says "strikeouts are BS" doesn't make it true. I'd argue that strikeouts are pretty important as there's very little chance to get unlucky with a bloop hit or error behind you when you strike someone out.

234. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Strike outs are key. Very, very few guys in the Hall who couldn't get K's when they needed them. When a guy is on third with 1 out, that is the difference between a Jordan Zimmerman and a Ross Detwiler….

235. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I don't think Ks are BS, but Jordan's boss does, and he answers to him, was my point. I think someone who leads the world all-time in strikeouts, for instance, should be a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

236. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I figured we would only win 1 out of 3 of this series anyway, so today could be cream. That is why it is silly to a certain extent when all these people post that we play the Mets and that should be good for 3 wins. It all has to do with match-ups and some guys like Gee match up better with certain teams.

237. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Unless he walks just as many as he strikes out. Of course, that would be pathetic and show a real lack of ethic and professionalism.

238. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I'm not a huge fan of mcatty's pitch to contact mantra. Nor of Johnson/eckstein's constant refrain of being aggressive at the plate considering this is already a free swinging team. Given that there will be a new manager next year regardless, it might be worth considering cleaning house now.

239. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Agreed, WODL; there's a reason they play the games (besides selling tickets). I don't get the point in looking at the schedule and pronouncing in advance which games they "should" win. OK, there's your 4-1. They're right where we want them.

240. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Lousy throw.

241. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I think the Mets struggled with the decison to re-sign Wright the same way that we did with Zimmerman. Both have been disappointing in my mind but Wright has been better over all. Disappointing with respect to expectations and contract level, btw, not saying they aren't 2 of the better third basemen in the bigs. Manny Machado is far better than either.

242. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

243. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What is wrong with the defense?Stop freebasing!

244. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

No worry's we'll win tomorrow and maybe today.The mets still don't have Mariano Rivera in the ballpen.

245. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Craig Stammen has not been as good as usual lately.

246. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Well, Manny Machado is 20 years old. They were both better when they were 20, too.

247. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

"TexNat said…Stammen makes a poor compliment to Jordan because the mets were already keyed in on the sinking action."Interesting point, TexNat.

248. BxJaycobb - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

This is a bit off topic, but I have to point something out. A good example of the Nats hitting coaching being utterly inadequate (Eck but anybody else too). Denard Span is not where he needs to be OBP wise and is 50 points below his career averages…why? …he hits more ground balls to the right side of the infield than anybody I have ever watched play baseball. Why nobody plays a shift on him is beyond me. He stands too close to the place, and his hips fly open to "turn on" pitches on the outer half, and rolls over 75% of his at bats. This is something that can be fixed. Move up in the box. Work in staying closed. Spend BP doing nothing but drive the ball over the short stops head. He should never hit a fastball to the right of 2nd base with his ability to stay short and make contact. Has anybody brought it up? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no.

249. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Does anyone freebase anymore? Don't they remember the public service ads done by Richard Pryor?

250. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Really Craig

251. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

So what is Stammen doing wrong that Jordan Taylor couldn't keep doing?

252. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

There was no good reason to take out Jordan. And now the game is about out of reach.

253. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

That's it FP….spot on.We have not been able to build on a big win yet.

254. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Freebase!! Wow, does that take me back.

255. Scott Margenau - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

256. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Just a pun, WODL.

257. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

It happens, but you are not leading the division, you can't afford it.Seems like the defense has played even worse than offense today.

258. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Manny is light years above where they were at 20, or at least Zimmerman. I didn't watch Wright enough but I think Wright's stats are substantially better than Ryan's, and I will go check.

259. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

thanks for nothing, Ryan

260. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Well, he sure looked washed up on that play, eh?

261. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Great play by Zim.

262. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Is there any doubt why this is a .500 team? STAMMen left in too long. 3 errors, a hits batsmen, bad throw from center, WERTh on one leg. Boy they really stink on ice today.

263. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Davey u idiot!! Why would I take out Taylor? Not one solid hit he gave up. U Davey supporters…ugh –SURE, blame US.

264. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I'm not normally one to question their ganas, but they do look flat, and that's bad.

265. Tcostant - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

In nj, Mets crew calling Jordan out for not sliding

266. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

David Wright's stats are substantially better than Ryan Zimmerman's.

267. Scott Margenau - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That was not real was it? Web gem beyond belief

268. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

David Wright is a future Hall of Famer. Ryan Zimmerman is not. Zim is still a great player though.

269. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Making a web gem when the team is down by 4 in the 7th is sort of like ……Who cares. Catch the ball when it matters.

270. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Ryan is also 2nd on the team in RBI's, and 2nd or 3rd in several other categories. There's no defending his play today.He's had an awful day.His first couple of month's errors were almost all surgery-recovery related.Is he washed up? I seriously doubt it. We'll see. It's a long season.

271. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Stamman based on game track pitching far inferior to Jordan.For those watching, is that what it look like?

272. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Zim is pretty good. Not great. Baseball is all about consistency. He has none

273. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Stammen was probably worse than Jordan, but I understand Davey taking Jordan out. A rookie on the mound, 2 men on, game at risk of getting out of hand. You go to the guy who has been great all year in those situations. This time it didn't work out, but it made complete sense.

274. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

That would be in line with Wright winning ROY over Zimmerman. I don't get your point on Machado, though–that the Nats should have drafted him instead of Harper?

275. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Nothing against WODL, but I hardly ever hear him say something good about our players. He incessantly harps on how other players are better. I don't really get it, but to each their own.

276. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Wright's career OPS+=132 and trending sharply upZimmerman's career OPS+=121 and trending slightly upWright = 2 gold glovesZimmerman = 1 gold gloveMachado = 123 OPS+ this year and trending up.will win gold glove this year.

277. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I'm sure I'm overanalyzing things but when I hear "pitch to contact" I think (hope) its McCatty saying "throw strikes, don't nibble, I'd rather they hit the ball than take walks". The hope is that a few less strikeouts (on batters chasing) will be more than made up by less walks. But as a pitcher, if you had the choice between a batter making contact or striking out, you will take the strikeout every time as its pretty much a guaranteed out while a ball put in play is going to fall for a hit 30% of the time. While its great if you can stay in the game longer, that's secondary to getting batters out.

278. Knoxville Nat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

BxJaycobb,Good points regarding Eckstein and Span would be a great example of where good coaching is needed. Sorry to rain on some people's parade, including DJ's, but I just think Eckstein is a poor hitting coach. I haven't any idea who will manage the Nats next season but I'd like to see both Eck and Trent Jewett in another uniform.

279. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

DP, I'm coming to terms with the reality that DC fans aren't going to be the way I'd wish, as a culture; they're a lot more like Phillies or Mets fans than Cardinals fans. That's just how it is.

280. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The Nats have only 5 exceptional players as far as I can see. One just came up and is playing second. One is on the DL, and 3 are pitchers. Ian and Soriano and Werth and Laroche are all above average. Zimmerman is above average as a hitter. and used to be an excellent fielder. Span is a very good fielder and also a very good fielder fielder.I am not here to blow sunshine up anyone's skirt. If you want to hear someone say how great the Nats guys are just tell your self out loud how great they are, over and over.

281. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Rendon is in a bit of a slump now. Granted, he was never going to continue hitting at the pace he was before, but 0-13 isn't great.In his defense though, he's been absolutely robbed several times so I shouldn't complain.

282. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Fair enough. Still not sure why you brought up Machado, though.

283. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Sofa, I'm glad that a lot of them don't sit in my section.Rendon is 0- for a whole bunch in a row.

284. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Rendon was due for a big 0-fer, once the video got around. Frank Robinson had something like 0-22 after his first game. I'm not worried.

285. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

David i was wondering since I have not seen a game is Rendon's hit still hard.

286. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

MNF, he's been squaring balls up that get caught. He could have had maybe five hits during this stretch with even decent luck.

287. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Rendon lined out once today I think, but nothing especially hard. Yesterday he was robbed on a diving catch though.

288. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Harper versus Machado is a close call using advanced stats, if you believe in fielding metrics. Both Harper and Machado's fielding importance seems overrated to me, as is Span's. Using defensive war, Span was among the top ten players overall in the AL last year, not just defensively, but overall. If someone wants to believe that then, okay. I think there are probably 60 field players in the AL who were better than Span.According to defensive WAR metrics, Machado might be the most valuable player in the AL. Do I believe that? No, but plenty of people do.I would keep Harper, but this last injury makes me nervous. Manny seems very smooth and heady and unlikely to get hurt too often. Harper suddenly reminds me of the great Freddie Lynn who kept getting hurt.

289. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Interesting stats, WODL, but you answered a different question.

290. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Sure, David Wright is a future Hall of Famer.I thought Ryan Zimmerman had that possibility at one time as well. So, I guess I am guilty of overestimating Zimmerman's talent level. That seems to mean that I have a higher opinion of Ryan than I should. His offensive production has been very good in the past and it is still pretty good. 3 years ago people still thought he might be as good or better than Wright. I hope he can achieve that still, but I also think he has been less than forthcoming about his injury and I see no way that hiding how hurt he was/is helps the Nats.

291. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

You see more bleached blondes at a Cardinals game in Busch Stadium than ….

292. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm not quite sure how Ryan has been less than forthcoming about his injury (this year). He's said all along that it's a work in progress and he'd be rehabbing it the entire year. We've seen noticeable progress in his throws. Still not great, but improved. He's been the first to say he's not where he wants to be, but he's also been putting in a ton of work to fix it.

293. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

WODL said: "I think there are probably 60 field players in the AL who were better than Span."If you were trying to say that there are 60 better fielders than Span in the AL, you have lost a lot of credibility with me.This is looking pretty much like a game that we just have to write off. Win tomorrow, take the series. Keep winning at least 2 out of 3 and we'll be fine.

294. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Danger Boy was really a Hall of Famer at non sequitur answers to straight questions. He could pull out the darned stuff sometimes. I came to appreciate it as a talent, after a while.

295. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I heard Zimmerman on the radio and I am pretty sure that he said he wasn't hurt anymore, but every time he makes an error, everyone says, it is not his fault. He is hurt.. We could have let LaRoche go and moved him to first and avoided all of this, but as far as I see, no one in the Nats front office had any inkling that his defense would suffer like this, not to mention his power, as he will have to up things a bit to even get to 20 homers, which is not all that much to expect from a 3rd bagger.

296. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

60 non-pitchers. That is what a field player is. Duh!

297. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

*darndest(sorry, worstester-ever inside joke there)

298. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I'd be surprised if Zim doesn't hit 20 homers. He started out with no power but has shown considerably more lately. Here's the source for Zimmerman saying he's still rehabbing. :http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130605&content_id=49718832&notebook_id=49726348&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was

299. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Span is listed as the 9th highest WAR in the AL in 2012.He has never made an All Star game. His OPS+ last year was 104. So he must have basically saved just an amazing number of runs for Minnesota in the field. I don't watch Minnesota much and maybe he was Tris Speaker and Wilie Mays all rolled up into one out there, but I don't believe it. Obviously, Rizzo did and many on here do, and yet our run differential is putrid this year compared to last year so he isn't saving enough.

300. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

OK, four to tie, five to lead. Let's go get 'em.

301. phil dunton - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

We all know that the Lerner Family manages their money in a very conservative manner. I often wonder how they feel about GM Rizzo flushing $226 million of their hard earned money with the signing Werth and RZ to eye watering contracts that they will never earn. We are stuck with Werth for another 4.5 season but Zimmerman belongs in the AL as a DH and his no trade clause doesn't kick in until next season. No wonder the Lerners refused to extend Rizzo's contract beyond the option year. He has cost them a lot of money and I am not even counting the millions he blew on Jason Marquis and Dan Haren.

302. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

OK, former Cub here. Now we've got them where we want them!

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think the Werth contract was about making a statement after Teixeira refused to even consider us and he was from near here. I thought that both the Zimmerman and Laroche re-signings were good decisions at the time so it is hard to criticize Rizzo for those.On the other hand, it does not seem that Zimmerman signed for below market money to stay in DC, as have some other athletes at times around sports and baseball. I don't think that either the Nats or the Nats' fans owe Zimmerman anything or that he has done us any favors. His play will have to stand on its own.

304. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Go get 'em tomorrow.

305. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

The general rule of thumb is that 1WAR is worth $5 million. Zimmerman is worth 2.0WAR so far this season, according to B-R. So he's on pace for 4.0 WAR, which is 20 mil. He's making 14 mil this year so he's actually a bargain this year. Assuming he continues to play on a 4.0 WAR pace when his contract escalates to around 20 mil, he would be exactly market value. Given that Ryan has multiple seasons of 4WAR and 5 WAR, it's reasonable to expect that he will earn his contract.

306. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

You can't help it if you mind revolves thinking about phallic symbols. Just go with it. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

307. karlkolchak - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well, so much for yesterday's "season changing" victory. Nats are right back where they were on May 3rd…at .500 and going nowhere fast. Incredible that tomorrow's game will decide whether they finish the first half of the season above or below the break even point. "WS or Bust" indeed.

308. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Who's ashamed?

309. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Karlkolchak. Amen brother. You nailed it. A gutless, awful performance. Certainly they can't sustain anything. Not even against bad teams.