Game 80: Nats at Mets

Jun 29, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

NEW YORK โ€” Hello again from Citi Field, where the Nationals look to make it two in a row against the Mets this afternoon, sending Taylor Jordan to the mound for his big-league debut.

Jordan kind of burst on the scene out of nowhere. He wasn't in big-league camp this spring. He opened the season at Class A Potomac, got bumped up to Class AA Harrisburg and dominated (7-0, 0.83 ERA). The 24-year-old actually grew up near Viera, Fla., pitching at Brevard Community College before the Nats made him their 9th-round pick in the 2009 draft. He had Tommy John surgery in 2011 but has fully recovered. And now he's in the Big Apple, making his major-league debut for a team trying to claw its way back into a pennant race.

Given the situation, Davey Johnson is trying to take as much pressure off Jordan as he can. Kurt Suzuki is starting a day game after a night game, providing veteran influence behind the plate. Johnson didn't say much to the right-hander when they met this morning; he just wants the kid to go out there and pitch, not thinking too much about who he's facing.

It's always fun watching somebody make their debut, and today should be no different. So check back here for updates along the way. And if you missed the news earlier about Ross Detwiler's stiff back, here's the full story about the left-hander

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

if he keeps pitching like this, he'll have better memoriesRendon showing how its done

2. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I know Zimm made a big hit last night but it is getting really hard to like the guy anymore. I feel that he has been dishonest about his playing condition ever since last season's end. It is time to put up or shut up. His fielding is terrible and his hitting is mediocre at best compared to what he is earning.

3. nats guy - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Joe Seamhead,I love RZim too, but when you look at the #'s and what he is doing fielding wise you have to go Uh Oh. Shoulder injuries are a "b*tch. You have gotten to see it the last two nights and most of this year. He has become a poor fielding singles/doubles hitting 3B.For several years he was all we had and his home in the Fathers Day game against the Yankees was one of my all time baseball highlights. But the numbers aren't lying. Something is wrong.

4. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Hernandez is now isolating zim and talking about how you have to start with your glove practically on the ground when you play in. Says its just a matter of fundamentals.

5. pk24 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Now the defense picks up…. after Davy has already given the kid the hook. Hope he gets another start.

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

The one's basically responsible for win last night are the same ones responsible for this deficir.Of course Jordan needs to learn to work around the errors.

7. pk24 - Jun 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Well, Zim has done a lot for the franchise, but I mentioned in here a while ago that it looked like we were entering the "past a diving Zimmerman" era, which observation was not a universally welcomed.

9. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Terrible errors to make. Bottom line is ( minus last nights ) is that this team can't hit. Period. 3 runs is nothing. But when you can't score every run the other team score is multiplied by 10.

10. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

ok, zimm, make up for it in youor next abs

11. SonnyG10 - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Maybe we're seeing why Rizzo was reluctant to move Rendon to 2b.

12. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

And now we are to the dreaded 200+ posts segment of this game. It is hard to believe that blog technology has improved so little over the years so that this blog cannot properly refresh after posts but instead insists on pushing us back to page one.

13. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Zimmerman needs to score 3 times, not get on base 3 times to make up for his pathetic performance in the field today, and last night as well, but I will give him credit for redeeming himself for his poor fielding in that game.

14. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Agreed WODL, it's extremely annoying.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Final line 3 runs and 1 earned with a bunch of doink hits which tells you weak contact caused by deception. Very nice job.

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

WODL, the workaround is to open another tab to the first page, post from there, and refresh the current page.

17. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hey, we are lucky when he dives. At least it looks like he is trying. Mostly now he just watches them go by or bounce off his chest like Superman.

18. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't call that a particularly good outing by Jordan. He absolutely should get a pass given its his first start ever, but he was pretty wild (threw more balls than strikes) and couldn't strike anyone out (only K was the opposing pitcher). That's not a good formula for success. The defense was poor behind him, but that's going to happen from time to time when you let the other team put the ball in play almost every at bat. He got some good luck early in the game on some pretty well hit balls right at Bernadina and Werth so its not like all his luck was bad. If he wasn't a rookie, and the Nats were bringing up a veteran for a spot start like that, I think the gushing in the booth wouldn't have been there and we all would have thought it was okay at best.

19. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Wright wasn't close to the bag when he caught the ball.

20. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Can we get to the Mets bullpen already?

21. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Laroche with the killer double play. This team is just lifeless.

22. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

not with these DPs, DP

23. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

It wasn't a FANTASTIC start, but I thought it was good enough. The defense still let him down.

24. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

OK. Thanks Sofa. If this works, I will sit on you sometime.

25. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

What is with the double plays?

26. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Mark writes Obviously he wasn't helped by his defense, but he also has some room for improvement. He really didn't miss many bats, and that in turn put pressure on the defense to make every play.I don't understand this. If his pitching coach says "strikeouts are BS" and there weren't a lot of web-gem level plays required behind him, where's the problem? It's boring if you don't get to catch anything.

27. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I find it funny that people are saying the team is lifeless the day after a big come from behind win. This team has come from behind to win 8 times this month. They're not lifeless. It's just been a bad, sloppy game so far, but those happen.

28. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

OK. Thanks Sofa. If this works, I will sit on you sometime.I BEG YOUR PARDON??

29. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Point taken Amir and well reasoned, usually.But the bar here is pretty low. Anyone who can give up fewer than 4.5 runs in 5 innings or fewer than 2 homers per start is an upgrade over Mr. Haren, who btw, doesn't like the DL because he doesn't feel like one of the guys….

30. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Amr:You make some fair points. Jordan got behind too many hitters, which elevated his pitch count.He needs to spot his fastball, but if we factor in the nerves and faulty defense, I think it's a creditable debut that merits more outings.

31. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wow they're taking out Dillon Gee. The Mets might be the most poorly managed team we've seen this year.

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

To follow up on my last comment, pitching to contact isn't what's putting pressure on the defense. Scoring one run all day is what does that.

33. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Just because his pitching coach says "strikeouts are BS" doesn't make it true. I'd argue that strikeouts are pretty important as there's very little chance to get unlucky with a bloop hit or error behind you when you strike someone out.

34. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Strike outs are key. Very, very few guys in the Hall who couldn't get K's when they needed them. When a guy is on third with 1 out, that is the difference between a Jordan Zimmerman and a Ross Detwiler….

35. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I don't think Ks are BS, but Jordan's boss does, and he answers to him, was my point. I think someone who leads the world all-time in strikeouts, for instance, should be a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

36. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I figured we would only win 1 out of 3 of this series anyway, so today could be cream. That is why it is silly to a certain extent when all these people post that we play the Mets and that should be good for 3 wins. It all has to do with match-ups and some guys like Gee match up better with certain teams.

37. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Unless he walks just as many as he strikes out. Of course, that would be pathetic and show a real lack of ethic and professionalism.

38. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I'm not a huge fan of mcatty's pitch to contact mantra. Nor of Johnson/eckstein's constant refrain of being aggressive at the plate considering this is already a free swinging team. Given that there will be a new manager next year regardless, it might be worth considering cleaning house now.

39. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Agreed, WODL; there's a reason they play the games (besides selling tickets). I don't get the point in looking at the schedule and pronouncing in advance which games they "should" win. OK, there's your 4-1. They're right where we want them.

40. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Lousy throw.

41. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I think the Mets struggled with the decison to re-sign Wright the same way that we did with Zimmerman. Both have been disappointing in my mind but Wright has been better over all. Disappointing with respect to expectations and contract level, btw, not saying they aren't 2 of the better third basemen in the bigs. Manny Machado is far better than either.

42. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

43. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What is wrong with the defense?Stop freebasing!

44. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

No worry's we'll win tomorrow and maybe today.The mets still don't have Mariano Rivera in the ballpen.

45. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Craig Stammen has not been as good as usual lately.

46. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Well, Manny Machado is 20 years old. They were both better when they were 20, too.

47. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

"TexNat said…Stammen makes a poor compliment to Jordan because the mets were already keyed in on the sinking action."Interesting point, TexNat.

48. BxJaycobb - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

This is a bit off topic, but I have to point something out. A good example of the Nats hitting coaching being utterly inadequate (Eck but anybody else too). Denard Span is not where he needs to be OBP wise and is 50 points below his career averages…why? …he hits more ground balls to the right side of the infield than anybody I have ever watched play baseball. Why nobody plays a shift on him is beyond me. He stands too close to the place, and his hips fly open to "turn on" pitches on the outer half, and rolls over 75% of his at bats. This is something that can be fixed. Move up in the box. Work in staying closed. Spend BP doing nothing but drive the ball over the short stops head. He should never hit a fastball to the right of 2nd base with his ability to stay short and make contact. Has anybody brought it up? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no.

49. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Does anyone freebase anymore? Don't they remember the public service ads done by Richard Pryor?

50. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Really Craig

51. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

So what is Stammen doing wrong that Jordan Taylor couldn't keep doing?

52. TexNat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

There was no good reason to take out Jordan. And now the game is about out of reach.

53. jeffwx - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

That's it FP….spot on.We have not been able to build on a big win yet.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Freebase!! Wow, does that take me back.

55. Scott Margenau - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

56. Drew - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Just a pun, WODL.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

It happens, but you are not leading the division, you can't afford it.Seems like the defense has played even worse than offense today.

58. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Manny is light years above where they were at 20, or at least Zimmerman. I didn't watch Wright enough but I think Wright's stats are substantially better than Ryan's, and I will go check.

59. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

thanks for nothing, Ryan

60. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Well, he sure looked washed up on that play, eh?

61. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Great play by Zim.

62. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Is there any doubt why this is a .500 team? STAMMen left in too long. 3 errors, a hits batsmen, bad throw from center, WERTh on one leg. Boy they really stink on ice today.

63. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Davey u idiot!! Why would I take out Taylor? Not one solid hit he gave up. U Davey supporters…ugh –SURE, blame US.

64. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I'm not normally one to question their ganas, but they do look flat, and that's bad.

65. Tcostant - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

In nj, Mets crew calling Jordan out for not sliding

66. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

David Wright's stats are substantially better than Ryan Zimmerman's.

67. Scott Margenau - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That was not real was it? Web gem beyond belief

68. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

David Wright is a future Hall of Famer. Ryan Zimmerman is not. Zim is still a great player though.

69. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Making a web gem when the team is down by 4 in the 7th is sort of like ……Who cares. Catch the ball when it matters.

70. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Ryan is also 2nd on the team in RBI's, and 2nd or 3rd in several other categories. There's no defending his play today.He's had an awful day.His first couple of month's errors were almost all surgery-recovery related.Is he washed up? I seriously doubt it. We'll see. It's a long season.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Stamman based on game track pitching far inferior to Jordan.For those watching, is that what it look like?

72. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Zim is pretty good. Not great. Baseball is all about consistency. He has none

73. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Stammen was probably worse than Jordan, but I understand Davey taking Jordan out. A rookie on the mound, 2 men on, game at risk of getting out of hand. You go to the guy who has been great all year in those situations. This time it didn't work out, but it made complete sense.

74. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

That would be in line with Wright winning ROY over Zimmerman. I don't get your point on Machado, though–that the Nats should have drafted him instead of Harper?

75. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Nothing against WODL, but I hardly ever hear him say something good about our players. He incessantly harps on how other players are better. I don't really get it, but to each their own.

76. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Wright's career OPS+=132 and trending sharply upZimmerman's career OPS+=121 and trending slightly upWright = 2 gold glovesZimmerman = 1 gold gloveMachado = 123 OPS+ this year and trending up.will win gold glove this year.

77. Amr Khani - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I'm sure I'm overanalyzing things but when I hear "pitch to contact" I think (hope) its McCatty saying "throw strikes, don't nibble, I'd rather they hit the ball than take walks". The hope is that a few less strikeouts (on batters chasing) will be more than made up by less walks. But as a pitcher, if you had the choice between a batter making contact or striking out, you will take the strikeout every time as its pretty much a guaranteed out while a ball put in play is going to fall for a hit 30% of the time. While its great if you can stay in the game longer, that's secondary to getting batters out.

78. Knoxville Nat - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

BxJaycobb,Good points regarding Eckstein and Span would be a great example of where good coaching is needed. Sorry to rain on some people's parade, including DJ's, but I just think Eckstein is a poor hitting coach. I haven't any idea who will manage the Nats next season but I'd like to see both Eck and Trent Jewett in another uniform.

79. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

DP, I'm coming to terms with the reality that DC fans aren't going to be the way I'd wish, as a culture; they're a lot more like Phillies or Mets fans than Cardinals fans. That's just how it is.

80. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The Nats have only 5 exceptional players as far as I can see. One just came up and is playing second. One is on the DL, and 3 are pitchers. Ian and Soriano and Werth and Laroche are all above average. Zimmerman is above average as a hitter. and used to be an excellent fielder. Span is a very good fielder and also a very good fielder fielder.I am not here to blow sunshine up anyone's skirt. If you want to hear someone say how great the Nats guys are just tell your self out loud how great they are, over and over.

81. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Rendon is in a bit of a slump now. Granted, he was never going to continue hitting at the pace he was before, but 0-13 isn't great.In his defense though, he's been absolutely robbed several times so I shouldn't complain.

82. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Fair enough. Still not sure why you brought up Machado, though.

83. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Sofa, I'm glad that a lot of them don't sit in my section.Rendon is 0- for a whole bunch in a row.

84. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Rendon was due for a big 0-fer, once the video got around. Frank Robinson had something like 0-22 after his first game. I'm not worried.

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

David i was wondering since I have not seen a game is Rendon's hit still hard.

86. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

MNF, he's been squaring balls up that get caught. He could have had maybe five hits during this stretch with even decent luck.

87. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Rendon lined out once today I think, but nothing especially hard. Yesterday he was robbed on a diving catch though.

88. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Harper versus Machado is a close call using advanced stats, if you believe in fielding metrics. Both Harper and Machado's fielding importance seems overrated to me, as is Span's. Using defensive war, Span was among the top ten players overall in the AL last year, not just defensively, but overall. If someone wants to believe that then, okay. I think there are probably 60 field players in the AL who were better than Span.According to defensive WAR metrics, Machado might be the most valuable player in the AL. Do I believe that? No, but plenty of people do.I would keep Harper, but this last injury makes me nervous. Manny seems very smooth and heady and unlikely to get hurt too often. Harper suddenly reminds me of the great Freddie Lynn who kept getting hurt.

89. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Interesting stats, WODL, but you answered a different question.

90. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Sure, David Wright is a future Hall of Famer.I thought Ryan Zimmerman had that possibility at one time as well. So, I guess I am guilty of overestimating Zimmerman's talent level. That seems to mean that I have a higher opinion of Ryan than I should. His offensive production has been very good in the past and it is still pretty good. 3 years ago people still thought he might be as good or better than Wright. I hope he can achieve that still, but I also think he has been less than forthcoming about his injury and I see no way that hiding how hurt he was/is helps the Nats.

91. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

You see more bleached blondes at a Cardinals game in Busch Stadium than ….

92. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm not quite sure how Ryan has been less than forthcoming about his injury (this year). He's said all along that it's a work in progress and he'd be rehabbing it the entire year. We've seen noticeable progress in his throws. Still not great, but improved. He's been the first to say he's not where he wants to be, but he's also been putting in a ton of work to fix it.

93. Joe Seamhead - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

WODL said: "I think there are probably 60 field players in the AL who were better than Span."If you were trying to say that there are 60 better fielders than Span in the AL, you have lost a lot of credibility with me.This is looking pretty much like a game that we just have to write off. Win tomorrow, take the series. Keep winning at least 2 out of 3 and we'll be fine.

94. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Danger Boy was really a Hall of Famer at non sequitur answers to straight questions. He could pull out the darned stuff sometimes. I came to appreciate it as a talent, after a while.

95. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I heard Zimmerman on the radio and I am pretty sure that he said he wasn't hurt anymore, but every time he makes an error, everyone says, it is not his fault. He is hurt.. We could have let LaRoche go and moved him to first and avoided all of this, but as far as I see, no one in the Nats front office had any inkling that his defense would suffer like this, not to mention his power, as he will have to up things a bit to even get to 20 homers, which is not all that much to expect from a 3rd bagger.

96. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

60 non-pitchers. That is what a field player is. Duh!

97. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

*darndest(sorry, worstester-ever inside joke there)

98. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I'd be surprised if Zim doesn't hit 20 homers. He started out with no power but has shown considerably more lately. Here's the source for Zimmerman saying he's still rehabbing. :http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130605&content_id=49718832&notebook_id=49726348&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was

99. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Span is listed as the 9th highest WAR in the AL in 2012.He has never made an All Star game. His OPS+ last year was 104. So he must have basically saved just an amazing number of runs for Minnesota in the field. I don't watch Minnesota much and maybe he was Tris Speaker and Wilie Mays all rolled up into one out there, but I don't believe it. Obviously, Rizzo did and many on here do, and yet our run differential is putrid this year compared to last year so he isn't saving enough.

100. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

OK, four to tie, five to lead. Let's go get 'em.

101. phil dunton - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

We all know that the Lerner Family manages their money in a very conservative manner. I often wonder how they feel about GM Rizzo flushing $226 million of their hard earned money with the signing Werth and RZ to eye watering contracts that they will never earn. We are stuck with Werth for another 4.5 season but Zimmerman belongs in the AL as a DH and his no trade clause doesn't kick in until next season. No wonder the Lerners refused to extend Rizzo's contract beyond the option year. He has cost them a lot of money and I am not even counting the millions he blew on Jason Marquis and Dan Haren.

102. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

OK, former Cub here. Now we've got them where we want them!

103. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think the Werth contract was about making a statement after Teixeira refused to even consider us and he was from near here. I thought that both the Zimmerman and Laroche re-signings were good decisions at the time so it is hard to criticize Rizzo for those.On the other hand, it does not seem that Zimmerman signed for below market money to stay in DC, as have some other athletes at times around sports and baseball. I don't think that either the Nats or the Nats' fans owe Zimmerman anything or that he has done us any favors. His play will have to stand on its own.

104. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Go get 'em tomorrow.

105. David Proctor - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

The general rule of thumb is that 1WAR is worth $5 million. Zimmerman is worth 2.0WAR so far this season, according to B-R. So he's on pace for 4.0 WAR, which is 20 mil. He's making 14 mil this year so he's actually a bargain this year. Assuming he continues to play on a 4.0 WAR pace when his contract escalates to around 20 mil, he would be exactly market value. Given that Ryan has multiple seasons of 4WAR and 5 WAR, it's reasonable to expect that he will earn his contract.

106. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

You can't help it if you mind revolves thinking about phallic symbols. Just go with it. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

107. karlkolchak - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well, so much for yesterday's "season changing" victory. Nats are right back where they were on May 3rd…at .500 and going nowhere fast. Incredible that tomorrow's game will decide whether they finish the first half of the season above or below the break even point. "WS or Bust" indeed.

108. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Who's ashamed?

109. Secret wasian man - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Karlkolchak. Amen brother. You nailed it. A gutless, awful performance. Certainly they can't sustain anything. Not even against bad teams.