Stiff back for Detwiler, Davis recalled

Jun 29, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

NEW YORK โ€” Ross Detwiler is dealing with stiffness in his lower back, an ailment that could prevent the Nationals left-hander from making his next start.

That revelation, combined with some other developments over the last couple of days, prompted the Nationals to add another arm to their bullpen today: Right-hander Erik Davis was recalled from Class AAA, with outfielder Jeff Kobernus optioned to Syracuse to make room on the roster.

Detwiler showed no signs of injury during his start Friday night against the Mets, in which he allowed three runs (two earned) over five innings.

"He threw a lot of pitches in five innings," manager Davey Johnson said. "I thought he threw the ball well. I didn't notice anythingRead more ยป

1. NatsLady - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I knew knew knew Detwiler wasn't completely healthy!!! Said so I don't know how many times. Oh, well.

2. karlkolchak - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Ugh–if Detwiler goes out for awhile, the Nats will have no choice but to bring Haren back and they will still be scrambling to fill the rotation.

3. Kirbs - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I figured Kob. Would be dropped when Bryce came back….so we lose TyMo Monday?

4. Eric - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM

If Ohlendorf ends up starting for Det and continues pitching well, and especially if Taylor does well, then I don't see them rushing Haren back

5. natsfan1a - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I thought at the time that he was making some weird faces during that long at-bat of his, but I figured it was just a hitting thing. hmmm…

6. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The rain probably didn't help. Speaking of "throwing his side," isn't an oblique injury basically throwing his side *out*?

7. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM